1

1AM
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She remembered the days of her childhood, Cherry Blossom leaves fell like snowflakes to the ground. The sun was shining brightly up in the sky. The weather was fine and both of them were walking on the way home. Sharing their little experienced at school as they made these genuine laughters. They showed how they enjoyed their time together that late afternoon filling someone's eyes and ears with enthusiast smiles and giggles. The younger one stopped and the older girl halted when she noticed that her little buddy left her walking by herself. She looked back to see the younger girl head was tilted up to the trees with a smile. It seemed that the younger was admiring the trees just by the road, but being her. She was clueless, she looked up, and darted her eyes where she was staring up. She didn't find anything strange or anything that was peculiar around the trees. She was humming some happy tunes and nodding her head happily. 

"Sooyoung, why did you stop?" She asked as she aproached her and stood by her.

"Look," She brought her hand up pointing at the falling leaves of the trees. "Don't you think these Cherry Blossom leaves fall like snow? They are pretty." She beamed. Nana looked up once again and she watched it carefully as she imagined the leaves as snow. She smiled and nodded. She was taking this furtive glance in the corner of her eye. She loved how she gets happy to simple things although they were like heaven and earth. Both of them were different. Lizzy appreciates the small things around her while Nana isn't that kind of person, but bit by bit Nana starts to change for her. Which she didn't know herself. She wanted the things that she couldn't have, but Lizzy could easily have. Nana is poor while Lizzy was the rich kid in town, but that didn't change the fact that they became friends not because of their statuses.

"I think they are." She answered. 

"Uh-huh, I like this month of the year. The weather is relaxing and it is just fine." Nana only nodded again and agreed with her.

She too liked that month of the year. She could see the pretty places of Busan and they could visit the shore at that time of the year. People could spend their time together somewhere without the hindrance of the weather in that kind of month.

"Me too." Lizzy suddenly ran and this made the older girl confused regarding her behaviour that day. She knew how hyper the girl was, but she'd gotten a little bit high again. She was looking for possible answer yet she failed to find one.  She followed her hyperactive friend and when she stopped. Lizzy turned around while showing her pretty smile to the older.

"You look happy today is there something I don't know?" She prompted. Lizzy nodded so cutely and spun around in happiness.

"We are going to a hotpot tonight."

"Family get together?"

"Yes, wish that you could come, but you will be invited on my birthday."

"That'd be months away." Nana smiled and Lizzy nodded.

"You are welcome to come on that day. Don't ditch my birthday or else I will be upset." Lizzy pouted before running once more and crossed the railroad.

The older girl only watched, dumbfounded when she planned on taking her home that day, but the little one was fast. They could hear the train in the distance making this honking sound and Lizzy turned around then she waved at her friend. Nana on the other hand, raised a brow at her.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow, unnie! I'll meet you at our usual meeting place."

The train came while wind blew at her that was coming from the train. She stood there hoping to see her friend for the last time that day. When the never ending train was finally gone in her sight. Her little buddy disappeared and this saddened Nana. She turned her back and walked so slowly back home.

 

Nana sighed as she placed the back of her arm on her forehead. Life must be cruel to her, she thought. Then she rolled to the other side of the bed since she couldn't stop thinking of her past. She was facing the window watching the full moon in the sky. Stars were visible indicating that the weather was just fine. They'd gone through a lot and this what she got after the long wait. It'd been so long and yet she could clearly remember it after years.

"Just great," She muttered. "Just great." She repeated once more with only moving.

 

Nana took her bike at the front yard of their house and pedaled so quickly. She couldn't wait to see her friend again as if she was not seeing her every school days and sometimes in the weekends. She finally arrived at the school grounds and parked her bike near to the entrace of the building. She took the never ending stairs and she didn't mind panting on the way up to their classroom. She stopped when she was next to the entrance of their classroom. She fixed herself and quickly grabbed her little mirror in her bag. She wanted to check that she looked good at least and not looking as if she was hit by a tornado on her way to their classroom. Nana suddenly heard those boys cries in her classroom and roaring laughters. 

"L-O-V-E-" 

Those boys in the classroom stopped while the other girls in the room only sat on their seats watching with their amused eyes to the girl in front of them. Lizzy was standing in front of the black board and her head down. Nana read the writings on the board with those heart drawings saying Sooyoung loves Jinah. They even used those colorful chalks and the love word in bigger hangul characters. Nana glared at the people who were making fun of them. They made those whoo sounds and this made the older one got even more irked than ever. Nana took the eraser and she began to erase those writings so furiously. Nana grabbed Lizzy's wrist then they went out of the room. Someone whistled at them and laughters were ringing in her ears.

"What a nice ice prince charming you got there." One of the boys said and they were roaring in laughters once again.

They arrived on the rooftop and Nana knelt on one knee looking up to see her almost in tears. She sighed and she caressed her hand to what she at least knew just to comfort her.

"Come on, Sooyoung just forget those idiots. Don't let them get into you. I'm here, Im Jinah will protect you." She smiled and tried to act all cheery to erase the sadness that was written on Lizzy's face.

"Really, unnie?" Nana nodded happily.

"I promise! Do you see my muscle." Then she started showing it which she earned a stifled giggle from her friend; this made Nana smile at her succesful attempt of making the girl happy."Maybe we should go to school together, so I can protect you from those kids." She suddenly embraced the older and chuckled so softly then it followed a small cry.

"I didn't know what to do if you hadn't came. I'm an idiot sometimes."

"No, you aren't they are. Don't cry we will go to the playground after school?" She suggested and the younger girl face lit up which was twice than a moment ago after letting a hold of her.

"Really? Promise?"

"Promise!" Nana held her hand out and laughed along with her.

 

"I was just a kid at that time." Nana mumbled while she stared at the window, emotionless.

"I didn't know what was love back then." She giggled to herself, but she stifled a cry.

"It's been so long."

 

Nana was walking just by the shore. They were given some time to prepare and relax before they face their elementary graduation. Since it was one of her days off she decided to visit the shore in a while. She couldn't remember when she last visited the shore, but she knew that day. She enjoyed her time with her company and that was with Lizzy. Although her twin brother and younger brother Chanyeol kind of ruined it. Nonetheless, all of them three enjoyed their play time by the shore. Speaking of Chanyeol, Nana narrowed her eyes as she walked by the shore while the sea water was caressing her feet with every waves that the sea made. She saw a familiar figure, and a someone's silhouette from afar. The sun's blinding rays made it harder for her to see, so she decided to take a little closer. She walked closer and she was right to find Chanyeol sitting on the rock with a lost look in the sea. He had this sulking face and when he noticed that he wasn't the only one there. He took a glance to his right just to see Nana smiling at him.

"Oh! Hello, there, noona." He greeted in surprise.

"Hi, what are you doing here?" He went back staring again at the sea.

"Just want to be alone."

"That face is telling me something must've gone wrong? You're like your sister sometimes." Nana giggled and she settled herself beside him.

"Yeah, you got me, noona." He lowered his head and continued. "My parents I mean our parents want me to learn violin which I don't clearly like. I have love for guitars since then, but they insist that I should learn violin instead. They said learning guitar is for rowdy people out there." Nana listened to him understandingly. "I've noticed that we have to do this and that without hearing our thoughts. I feel so sorry for noona sometimes. She secretly told me that she joined the swimming team before, and when omma heard it. She forced her to quit and she should be focusing to her studies instead and take more practicing in piano." 

"I'm not sure, but you do sound old on how the way you speak." Nana said caressing his back. "I think your parents want you to be succesful or something, but hearing your story. I would be angry too."

"Yeah, right, but you don't know our parents, noona. I'm sure if you are in my position you will feel frustrated than ever." Nana sighed. "Bet when you get older they will let you do the things that you want."

"I hope so, noona, I hope so." He nodded so slowly

Nana thought, Lizzy didn't tell her about that she left unwillingly in the swimming team before and which she was only told that she had health problems, so she had to quit because of it. She didn't know whether she had to be mad or not, but getting angry at her would not even help her. She gazed at the sea with Chanyeol in deep thoughts and thought what could Lizzy be hiding from her. shut when it comes to serious family matters while the younger girl could talk about to random things except regarding her family. 

 

Graduation was succesful for all of them three. They finally graduated in elementary. That one goal in their lives was out in their checklist. They were just one step away from the dream they were trying to reach. 

One day, during a very hot summer day. Both of them were playing by the shore. Lizzy was ahead of Nana since the girl was athletic while Nana was so far behind. Lizzy looked back to see her friend running so lifelessly and almost she couldn't run because of exhaustion. Lizzy stopped and crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"Unnie! You are so slow! Come on, let's meet my grandpa and grandma to have at least some cool treats, because I can't wait." She yelled.

"We don't have to run," She hardly could speak. "We can walk there and get there anyways. No need to this extreme sports." Lizzy pouted.

"It's not even called extreme it's just running. Extreme sport is so different from this."

The older girl finally stopped and squatted in front of the younger girl. Head down and hands on her knees. Sweats were so visible on her forehead while some were falling under her chin. 

"I'm not that really active to this kind of stuff."

"You are so lazy." Lizzy shook her head and she finally gave up pushing the older's limit. She watched her panting really hard and she couldn't lift her head up. Now, she felt bad for it and decided to go along with her. "Okay, let's just walk." Nana lips curled upwards and she straigthened up so abruptly.

"Are you even tired?"

"Of course, stupid!" She flicked her forehead which she heard a little cry from Lizzy.

"Unnie! I hate you doing that." Lizzy pouted more and Nana only laughed. "Yah!"

"Don't yah me! I'm still older than you." She pinched her cheek and she whined even more.

"It's only a year, geez."

"Even though a year. It's like I'm your sunbae-"

"Well, in your dreams!" She left Nana and the older one quickly apologized to her fearing she made her mad completely.

"Okay, you win! Happy now?"

"Totally!" This time it was Nana's turned to pout and they continued their walk to Lizzy's grandma and grandpa's house.

After the visit, they both walked on the way home. Nana was silent for sometime like she was in deep thoughts. Lizzy noticed this sudden change and at first she wasn't paying attention to it, but being just Lizzy. She confronted the girl and stood in front of her.

"Is there something wrong, unnie?" She asked worriedly. Nana was about to shake her head, but stopped. She sighed and gazed at the sea with a longing look. The sun was about to set. This gave the sky to have blue and orange colour that made the scenery looks exquisite. 

"Let's just walk a little bit here, please?" Lizzy frowned and nodded.

They walked a little more around the shore. Lizzy waited for the older girl to talk and when Nana found a good place to sit on. She motioned the girl to sit with her and they settled down in a while. Nana watched the sunset admiringly. How she would miss this moments with her. Her one of her closest friend.

"Unnie?"

"I'm sorry, Sooyoung." Lizzy tilted her head to the right and she was confused why was she apologizing to her so suddenly.

"Why? Did you do something?" Nana shook her head.

"It's not like that." She took a deep breathe. "Why is it so hard to say this?" She muttered under her breath while her head down. She took her time before saying it. "I'm moving." Lizzy was surprised. She suddenly felt crying, but she held it with all she could.

"Why? I thought we were gonna take the same middle school this year?" Nana slowly shook her head. She couldn't bear to look in her eyes since she didn't want to tear up right in front of her.

"Somewhere in the last week of August. My parents thought they weren't getting the needs in Busan, so we are going back to Seoul." Lizzy gulped and it was so obvious that she was trying to stop to cry.

"Y-You are leaving me." She uttered and sniffed.

"I'm so sorry, you can write to me anyways. I won't forget you, just give your address and I will give you mine." Nana tried to smile and looked at the girl who was already in tears. "Come on, I'm not sure when, but we will meet someday." She held her hand tightly and caressed it.

"I won't see you in a long time! I'll be lonel-"

"Your little brother will be there." She assured.

"I know, but you are different. Me and my brother are close enough but you are the closest to me." Nana hugged her and comforted her friend.

"I will write to you every week, promise. Please do reply my letters." Lizzy only nodded and cried on her shoulder for sometime.

They spent their time a little longer by the shore, before Nana took Lizzy home. Nana left the Park's residence, she walked back home tearing up and she met Chanyeol on the way. The younger boy quickly ran up to her while holding his soccer ball. 

"Noona, noona what's wrong?" She was surprised to see Chanyeol on her way home and she immediately shook her head telling him that it was nothing to worry about. "Don't worry I'm fine it's nothing serious."

"No, I don't believe it, wanna go for a walk? You can count on me, I won't tell anyone, we've been secretly friends don't you know that?" He grinned and which Nana smiled while looking at his happy face.

"Are we?"

"Come on, if Sooyoung noona is y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter