Chosen

The Shadow that follows you

 

Footsteps were heard as they resonated through the hallway. The institution, filled with voices and cries of frustration, determination and success. I squinted my eyes opened and nearly winced at the sudden intrusion of light. I heard voices over the shouting of my peers and trainers. Indistinctively, but clear enough for me to hear snippets of their conversations, between the headmaster and a man I have never seen before.

 

“...students.... will be chosen..”

“very best....take with you....”

 

“Hey! Zitao”

My eyes flew open at the sound of my name, hoping that no one had taken notice of my intrusion.

“Stop being so scared jeeze Zitao”

“Seriously Yixing, if you do that one more time, I will kill you” my voice laced with menace but eyes gave away the game.

“Awww did the little Taozi get scared” Yixing smirked.

“Did not” I pouted back at him

 

“So what were you doing...eavesdropping? hmm?” he purred nonchalantly

My face suddenly flushed “N-NO, I wasn’t”

“Ok maybe I was but don’t tell me your not interested either” as I playfully punched his shoulder.

“I already no what’s going on” Yixing said triumphantly “My skills are better than yours when it comes to acquiring information” he winked.

 

“Care to share?” I said hopefully, pulling out my best puppy face.

“Alright, alright” Yixing chuckled

I did a little fist pump in my head.

 

“So, the man that you saw before is a very important and successful businessman from Korea, he came here to employ a few students as bodyguards. I think he runs some sort of company that involves the entertainment industry.”

 

“We better get ready now. The headmaster gave me orders to round up everyone”

 

Yixing shouted at the top of lungs, across the room

“EVERYONE GET DRESSED AND LINE UP IN THE SOUTH WEST HALL, ORGANISE YOURSELVES INTO YOUR CLASS LEVELS AND GROUP. YOU HAVE 5 MINS”

 

It took less than a second for students to start running across the training hall and making a wild dash to their dormitories. Clothes were flying across the room, from closets and drawers. 

 

“Oh god, here we go”

 

Positioning myself at the threshold of the training room and the ongoing battle, I wildly dashed for the room number 6. Ducking I managed to dodge the onslaught of exchange between opposing rooms, adding a few rolls and jumps, I managed to make it to my room unscathed. Just as I was about to turn the key to take refuge behind the door, a pair of pink and blue boxers hit me square in the face.

 

“HEY!” I yelled.

 

To no surprise no one heard and the war continued. The door suddenly flew open, dispensing a hand that grabbed me into the room.

 

“Are you ok?!?!” He said dramatically

“No. I think I’ve been hit, go on without me. Luhan, don’t forget to tell Yixing I love him” I gargled out, feigning death as the pink and blue boxers draped over me, triumphant. 

 

“Ok, that’s enough fun. Get ready, I’ll wait for you”

“It is crazy out there, I can’t believe they do this every time someone comes. Not that we were specifically trained to be calm and dangerous bodyguards or anything” I sarcastically stated.

 

“Well what can you do, boys will be boys” Luhan chuckled

 

I quickly pulled out my favourite pair of black jeans and buttoned up a grey and black long sleeve shirt. Luhan gave me a quick look up and down, giving the nod of approval. We both hurried out of the room knowing that we would be late.

 

 

The line up for this job was impressive, the training hall was filled with rows and rows of people. All dressed as if it were their last day on earth. Luhan and I quickly took our places in the groups, noting the presence of the head master.

 

“Good Morning!” he said in a loud clear voice, “Today only ONE of you will be assigned” Murmur spread across the crowds, the head master raised his hand for silence. “A few people will be walking around the lines, if they ask you a question I want you to answer their question clearly.” With that the headmaster stepped down from the podium and let the assessment begin.

 

My heart was pounding when they started walking around, it was so nerve wrecking knowing these people were looking at us up and down, a few of them past by me, taking note of me. Ten were chosen from the hundreds in the hall. I was part of these ten, lined up in front of the man I had seen earlier. He walked across the line, flanked by the headmaster. He stopped at the end of the line and asked the headmaster a few questions. To be honest, I didn’t want to be picked. I didn’t want to be separated from Yixing and Luhan. But I knew I didn’t have a choice.

 

After the exchange of words had finished between the two men, they turned to face us.

 

“Huang Zi Tao” the headmaster called

 

My heart froze.

From those ten, I was chosen.

 


 

 

I ignored the tears that ran down my face, collecting at a puddle in front of me. I picked up the belongings I owned one by one and packed them neatly into the suitcase. I head the laughs and bickering of the others in the training hall. I continued to silently pack away my things, hoping that someone would walk in. I wanted to say good-bye to Luhan and Yixing, but I knew the words wouldn’t come out even if I got the chance.

 

I wrote notes to both Luhan and Yixing before I packed up the rest of my belongings, including my photos and memories. My heart tugged my body towards the hall, I could hear them all, and they were so close. I was told that I had to leave immediately. 

 

I opened the door to meet some of the men that had been assessing us before. They lead me to a car outside the building, and bustled me into the car. Just as the door close, another burst open, revealing Luhan, Yixing and a classmate that was part of the ten. As the car started, they ran towards me.

 

“Tao! TAO!” Yixing cried out, tears threatening to fall from his eyes

“Where are you going?!” Luhan yelled after the car.

They both ran, chasing the car, only to be stopped by guards at the gate.

 

I’ll never forget the look in their eyes.

 

Desperation, loneliness, sadness

 

All these emotions resonated at once.

 

“WE WILL MEET AGAIN!!” Yixing shouted, just loud enough for me to hear

They both smiled at me with teary eyes.

 

Only the next time they saw me, it wasn’t me anymore.

 


 

First chapter is up!!~~ <3

Please subscribe and comment 

thank you~

 

Exotichime