The Past

Monster or Saviour

Youngjae woke up and found himself alone in bed. “Where’s Zelo?” he wondered out loud, while rubbing his tired eyes.

He got out of bed and made his way out of the room, looking at everything around him intently, as if it would help him understand what kind of person Zelo could possibly be.

He was stopped in his tracks when he felt the smell and sound of breakfast being made. Sliding his hand against the wall, Youngjae made his way towards the kitchen, finding a plate full of pancakes on the table and Zelo leaned of the counter drinking coffee.

“Good morning, feeling better?” Zelo smiled.

“Yeah…” Youngjae nodded and blushed “Sorry about yesterday.”

“It’s fine, just try not to cry again, okay?” Zelo frowned. “It’s unsettling.”

Youngjae nodded and started eating, raising his head. “You’re not eating?” he tilted his head.

“I don’t eat breakfast…” Zelo shrugged. “Never needed to.”

Youngjae pouted and took a bit of his breakfast with his fork, stretching his arm out in Zelo’s direction. “Eat!”

“I don’t want to and you’ll get hungry if you don’t eat it all.”

“Want to or not, you’ll eat! I got used to eating small amounts…” Youngjae’s eyes widened and he lowered his head. Besides being drugged, he was barely fed. Zelo seemed to understand what Youngjae was thinking of so he just heard the boy. He took his hand and ate, sitting in front of him. Youngjae looked back up.

“There! I ate. Happy?” Zelo asked while chewing. Youngjae smiled widely and Zelo felt happy that the boy’s thoughts were away from the kidnapping thing. Youngjae smirked. “You’re gonna make me eat more, aren’t you?”

“Don’t doubt it!” he laughed. Zelo puffed his cheeks and just ate whatever Youngjae gave him, since that made the boy happy.

 

“So, what are we gonna do?” Youngjae asked. They already finished eating breakfast, Zelo cleaning the dishes while Youngjae formed bubbles in his orange juice by blowing air into the straw.

“Well, I thought I could introduce you to Jongup.” Zelo explained as he wiped his hands dry. “He’s the one searching for your parents…” he clarifies once he sees the confused look on Youngjae’s face. The latter’s lips form the shape of an ‘o’ and he quickly nods.

“Do you by any chance know how long it might take him to find them?” Youngjae asked.

“Depends on who your parents are…” Zelo shrugged. “But Jongup is usually a quick worker, so let’s hope it’s soon.” He smiled. Youngjae smiled back and finished his orange juice, Zelo taking the glass away once he was finished. “Come one. Let’s get you dressed so we can go.” Zelo scooted him up and took him to the bedroom.

 

----------

 

Youngjae shuffled closer behind Zelo because he was feeling intimidated by Jongup who just stared at him and didn’t say a word. Zelo stood there with a blank stare until Youngjae tugged at the hem of his jacket and he looked back. Putting an arm in front of Youngjae and pulling him behind him, Zelo voiced out, “You’re freaking him out, you know?”

Jongup looked at Zelo and smirked. “I know! That’s why I’m doing it.” He laughed and Zelo just shook his head, glancing at Youngjae who looked up at him and smiled reassuringly.

 

----------

 

Youngjae’s POV

I played with my fingers while Zelo and I were waiting in the hacker’s, now known as Jongup, living room. I was really curious about that letter, or maybe I was actually curious about Zelo. I kept glancing up from my fingers to Zelo who was in front of me, sprawled on the couch and working with his phone. He glanced over at me and our eyes made contact. Feeling a blush from being caught staring creep up my cheeks, I looked back down.

Having a strange feeling, I looked at Zelo again and this time, it was him who was staring at me, a smile on his face. He sat up straight and got up, taking a seat next to me. He leaned back and let his head fall backward, being supported by the couch’s back. He sighed. “What do you want to know?” he asked.

“Huh?” I looked at him, widened eyes. He glanced at me from the position he was in and looked back at the ceiling.

“My life. What do you want to know?” he asked again. Was he really going to tell me?

“Umm…” I hesitated. Even if he doesn’t mind telling me, it still doesn’t make it okay to ask. It might bring bad things up. He’s probably willing to tell me because he knows I’m curious. “About the letter…” I just hope it’s okay for me to ask.

“It was sent to me by my father. There was a reference to my real name. I’m Choi Junhong. Nice to meet you.” He sarcastically smiled and stretched out his hand for me to shake. I shook it and he kept on with his story. “I received that letter when I was seventeen, meaning two years ago…” so he’s nineteen now. Not the old. “My dad actually died when I was ten and that letter arrived when I was eleven. My mom kept it hidden from me and I only received it two years ago because my mom made it get to me at that time. At that time, I was living with my aunt and uncle, mom’s side, because my mother killed herself when I was fifteen. It was after I read that letter that I became who I am now.” He chuckled. “My hero died, so I became this monster. I should have become someone like my dad. To follow his lead and be a hero too.” He covered his eyes with his forearm as he talked.

My eyes widened as he talked, each and every word that came out of his mouth made me get sadder and strangely made me want to hug him and tell him everything was okay. But even with that past, even doing what he does, he’s still… “Not a monster. You are not a monster, Zelo. You’re a wonderful person.” I tried to tell him. He just laughed.

“You’re only saying that because I let you live and I’m helping you.” He coldly said. I pouted.

“And how many monsters do that?” I asked. He looked at me from under his arm. “You are not a monster, Zelo. Please, believe me.” I pleaded as I took his hand in mine. He smiled and straightened himself, getting up and making me let go of his hand. He leaned down to get to the same eye level as me and chuckled.

“You’re a good person, Youngjae. A really good one.” He petted me. “I’ll try my best to find your family and keep you safe until then.” He then left, going upstairs.

You are no monster… You are one of the nicest people I have ever met. Whichever your past, whichever your future, whatever you do… You’ll never stop being a nice person.