Its Midnight, Cinderella

Its Midnight, Cinderella

Now that the war was over Lady Victoria knew her stalled wedding to the prince would definitely push through as his troops had secured victory, yet she wasn’t at all sure his affections or priorities lay with her. One could call it a woman’s intuition, backed up by solid, undeniable observation, but he looked upon someone else with the affection and passion he should have preserved for her alone. To add insult to injury, it was a comrade –a Lieutenant in his troops.

 

It was a hard pill to swallow, remaining silent as she observed hoping she was wrong. The object of his supposed affections was different from other men she saw, with a frame much too lithe and delicate to be masculine, yet remained one of the fiercest fighters in his battalion. With features too pretty even for a flower boy, much too effeminate to not mistake them for a woman if the solider chose to wear his hair long –attributes that seemed to capture her betrothed’s eye so intensely whenever in his vicinity. All of which prompted her to investigate further to understand Changmin’s draw to the man.

 

“Ma’am you called for me,” even the soldier’s voice, despite being low was pitched much too high to be male.

 

Victoria looked him over fighting the urge to demand his intentions with her fiancé, knowing it was much too classless to do so. If she wanted to know something she would be forced to be subtle, “You’re Lieutenant Sooyoung from Wangjanim’s battalion correct?” There was just something about the soldier that raised her heckles and demanded her to be on the defensive.

 

“Yes ma’am,” came his confirmation, eyes staring straight ahead and posture unwavering in its stiffness. “Is there something you would like me to do for you?” There was no hint of annoyance as he asked her, annoying her more than it should have.

 

“How long have you been with Prince Changmin?” Victoria asked her back to him to look on at the landscape, unable to stand looking at the man for longer than necessary. It was childish and insure, but she just couldn’t help it when she knew he was her rival. “You’ve been by his side almost as long as Yunho salyeonggwan?”

 

“Since childhood, I was charged to guard him along with Salyeonggwan,” once again he confirmed her information, but there was the slightest of wavers –at least she thought so –at the mention of Changmin.

 

“So you must love him very much,” Victoria suggested, turning on Sooyoung to gauge his reaction and for the first time the soldier seemed rattled, the slightest of widening of the eyes and further stiffening of the shoulders. So the attraction wasn’t one sided.

 

“Pardon,” once again the tone though measured, shook when Sooyoung asked for clarification. Finally she had something to hold onto, to confirm that she wasn’t crazy in her observation.

 

“I should have said admire, you admire him very much,” Victoria slyly corrected. She was never devious and it felt foreign to her, but she’d never thought she’d have to worry about Changmin’s affection shifting to another, much less a man. “Handsome, sage and fiercely loyal,” she went on as she observed the discomfort on the young man’s face too obvious to be ignored or hidden.

 

“Sooyoung, don’t you have patrols to oversee?” Changmin appeared, just when she was approaching the truth. With enough authority to startle her and relieve the solider from further questioning.

 

“Yes, if you will excuse me,” with a respectful bow, the young soldier took his leave under the watchful eye of Changmin. His gaze burning into the younger man until his back had completely disappeared in the horizon, oblivious to Victoria watching him watching Sooyoung.

 

“If you needed one of the guards you could have asked for Chen,” Changmin informed her, his tone none to impressed with her, obviously angry.

 

“Why not Sooyoung, is he not a guard?” Victoria questioned, watching him closely for reaction wanting him to dare deny the special attention he afforded to the young soldier. The fact that his eyes had lingered on Sooyoung until he’d disappeared from view as his frame held protectively.

 

A slight bit of annoyance, etched its way on his face but not enough to be obvious unless you were looking closely like she was, “her rank doesn’t allow for it. What did you need him for?” suspicion clear in his voice, clearly he was protective over the soldier like she meant him some harm. She may not like the young man, but she would never wish harm on him.

 

“Nothing, Hyoyeon reminded me of your closeness with both him and Yunho, and Sooyoung seemed more appropriate to ask about your favorite scent, I wanted a perfume made for myself that was to your liking,” blatant lie, but it was better to lie than attack someone he value so strongly.

 

“The one you wear is just fine. I’ll have to take me leave,” giving her a bow before descending the steps and disappearing conspicuously in the direction Sooyoung had gone. He was going after the soldier and there was nothing she could do about it.

 

What did she lack as a woman that he would turn to another man?

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

His lips were on hers before she could even breath, pulling her into the shadows away from prying eyes. As always they were fiery and demanding, insistent for response and like always she melted not minding the harshness in which her back hit the wall he’d pressed her against. Her senses were hyped and need provoked to taste more, touch more because for them one kiss could very well be their last. If found it would be covered up, him shielded and her executed for daring to look upon him. She wouldn’t be afforded the title of concubine even, because to the world she was Lieutenant Choi Sooyoung, one of the prince’s right hands and male.

 

“Why did she call you today,” Changmin asked breathlessly, forehead against hers and breath fanning over her face in pants.

 

He wasn’t unintelligent enough to not know, or perhaps it was a woman’s thing to know. Lady Victoria suspected something between her and Changmin, and had every right to question her suspicions. What she was doing was selfish and awful, Victoria suspicion making it that much clearer to her. “You know why, Wangjanim,” trying to pull his hands from cupping her face, but they remained firm.

 

“Don’t do that,” he whispered trailing kisses down her face, to hover over her lips. “You know my name, say it?” it was a command though spoken gently. Ever since she’d whispered it in his ear in passion, he’d been categorical about her using it when they were alone –he loved to hear it from her lips.

 

“In few weeks, you shall be married. You shouldn’t lo –” her words muffled by his lips, obviously unhappy about what he was hearing even though it was the truth. Nothing could come of what they were doing and it was fact when they begun.

 

She and the prince had always walked a thin line between camaraderie and romance, things taking a solid dangerous turn when she’d began maturing at puberty and he’d discovered her true gender. At first he was upset, ignoring her or being unbearable harsh with her for her deception because it had made him question himself. It hadn’t helped that Yunho had known much longer, angering him further to the point of a fist fight with the older male. But when Yunho had been wounded during a mission, he’d relented forgiving them for their lie of omission and asking for their understanding for his less than upstanding behavior through the months he was coming to terms with the truth.

 

With the discovery and acceptance of it, Changmin’s advances had steadily become bolder and relentless. To him she was a woman, he was a man and any foreboding that existed when he still thought she was male vanished giving them every right to be together. But, it wasn’t the case. She’d impersonated a man, moreover a guard of the crown prince which was a felony punishable by death should it be revealed to the world. It didn’t help that her own affection for him had made rejection harder than it should have been; eventually giving into a kiss after he’d recovered from a fever and she’d sat vigil at his side.

 

It had of course snowballed into an affair with fire and passion neither of them knew how to control, stolen moments in the dark while the world slept to see each other, only easing during the long battle to focus on victory. But now that the war was over, and his marriage couldn’t be held nor his ascension to the throne –they had to end it, end it before it destroyed them both.

 

“Don’t walk away from me; I’ve had to hold back for so long… I can’t lose you,” He was prideful, never one to beg or show desperation. However, she could hear hints of it in his voice, feel it in his body as he held her close.

 

She wasn’t crier; it was something that was drilled right out of her during her training. But the heaviness in his heart threatened to overwhelm her, feeling his lips finding her neck and knowing that he was too far gone to let her go, and she was too consumed to do it either.

 

She had to find someone to help her walk away, or perhaps force his hand so he would have to walk away.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Despite Changmin not watching the young soldier with longing anymore, and staying by her side much more often, she could feel his detachment, like he would rather be anywhere else but at her side. Sooyoung wasn’t even around anymore, having an assignment that took him away from the palace more frequently. Even without him there, Victoria could still feel the ghost of his presence phantom the palace in haunting oppression.

 

“You called, noona,” her cousin’s deep voice pulling her out of her thoughts. Desperate times called for desperate measures.

 

“I’m going to ask you something, and I want you to tell me the truth even if it hurts,” she began, addressing the tall bronze hair man who was leaning lazily against a wall awaiting instructions. “Does the prince hold affection for men?” Kris had been part of the battalion Changmin and Sooyoung were in, if anyone knew if his attraction had shifted from the fairer gender, it would be him.

 

His stoic face remained as he spoke, “Not that I have observed,” his voice not even hinting a lie as he stared her straight in the eye. Perhaps she’d worded the question wrong.

 

“Fine, does he have feelings for Sooyoung?” it was blatant but she wanted to know the truth. Maybe the affection was only toward that specific man, in which she could actually handle better than him being attracted to men in general.

 

“They are close,” neither confirming nor denying her suspicion, his reply was achingly vague. Were his loyalties with her anymore? “You are marrying in a few days, isn’t that confirmation enough of where his emotions and affections lie? Don’t go questioning things that shouldn’t be questioned. I’ll leave first,” putting a firm end to the conversation.

 

 

Kris hated lying to her, but it was for her own good to not know. Not to mention the fact that it would put not only the prince, but Sooyoung in a precarious position. A position that might cost the masquerading female her life –he couldn’t let that happen. Stealthily, he made his way to her chambers to wait for her return, a confrontation was necessary.

 

•             •             •

 

Yunho had done her the great favor of adding her to his excursion team so she could avoid the complications Changmin insisted on putting her in. It was much easier to avoid him and getting caught up in the whirlwind that was him away from the palace than when she was there, spending her nights in a cabin in the woods he didn’t know of to avoid him at night. It was tiring, but their country didn’t need the scandal that would occur should her and Changmin be discovered.

 

With a sigh of mental and physical exhaustion, she shrugged off her heavy coat and loosened the ties of her shirt.

 

The shuffle of feet alerted her of a presence, prompting her to unsheathe her sword in a fluid motion and whirl around ready to fend off a possible attack, but stood down when she recognized the intruder as Kris. “I never took you for a ert,” fixing her shirt to cover the binding and her state of undress.

 

“I thought we had an agreement,” his deep voice unrepentant of invading her privacy so inappropriately, jumping straight to the point. Not something she wasn’t used to, but his reasons for ambushing her was something she would rather not be reminded of, being that she was well aware of her failure at ending things with the prince. “Why does my cousin suspect you?”

 

“It’s not that easy,” it was a flimsy excuse, but she voiced anyway. It was as easy as requesting a transfer to the border garrison or guarding another palace or a royal relative, but she hadn’t. Her argument being that Changmin’s reaction would be unpredictable, even though she knew he wouldn’t risk her safety for anything.

 

“It’s as easy as preserving your life,” Kris dismissed, obviously seeing through her less than convincing excuse. “Do you have no desire to live, to risk your life over a fling that will end as quickly as it begun,” the demeaning tone he used, cutting her deep as it dismissed what she felt like it was trivial and worth absolutely nothing. Yet, it was completely true. Anything she felt and perceived herself to feel was worth absolutely nothing.

 

Sighing she leaned against the table, arms crossed over her chest in forced nonchalance. “He won’t let go easily and I don’t seem to have the will to push him away. What would you have me do?” Part of her wondered why his loyalties didn’t lie with his cousin. Heck she was still surprised an upstanding man like himself had kept the deadly secret that was her true identity to himself despite his duty not to do so.

 

“I only agreed to remain silent because you’d promised me you’d handle it,” he reminded her of her promise she hadn’t managed to fulfill. “If you wish, I will assist you in the endeavor.” That caught her attention, looking up at him hoping he really did have some idea of how to dig her out of the hole she’d fallen into recklessly.

 

“Give him a reason to despise you enough that it wills him to leave you, despite his love for you,” he stalked over to her slowly, as his words and their implication began donning on her. Despite it making her sick to the stomach, she remained still and watching him as he approached her until he stood uncomfortable close to her. “It can happen as early as tonight,” his face descending over hers, yet she didn’t move.

 

“Youngie are you decent…” Yunho’s cheerful voice filled the room, trailing off probably due to compromising situation he’d walked into. Kris however remained hovering over her for an uncomfortable minute, before backing away. He never had any intention of kissing her it seemed, if she ventured to guess she would say he’d heard the man approaching and had made it seem so –putting a show for the prince’s best friend. Kris even added an unperturbed saunter as he left the room, leaving her to deal with the aftermath, “What the hell is going on?”

 

“I don’t know,” it was partially true. She honestly didn’t understand the red haired man’s intentions or what he had planned.

 

“This will destroy him, Soo,” Yunho told her in defeat, obviously outraged by the situation yet unsure he had a right to scold her on propriety. After all the four of them were hiding an affair and her duplicity to the state she had sworn to serve. They’d all failed the propriety test. “He’s –”

 

“He’s the crown prince and future father of this nation, anything else is irrelevant,” it was rude to interrupt a senior in both age and rank, but she didn’t want to hear about Changmin’s love when she was about to do what she was about to do. “We both know this,” her insides clenching uncomfortably at her words because, it went against what she really wanted.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Kris was the best archer in the land and was charged to train the younger archers in the art which was what he was overseeing at the moment.

 

Yunho had been watching him like a hawk since a few nights back, ensuring he never left Sooyoung alone with him like it would stop the inevitable. Whether by their own choice, or outside influences, the prince and Sooyoung would end their dalliance. All they had to choose was how much death or heartbreak they would have to endure before they separated.

 

His loyalty was to the prince as every other soldier’s, but his concern was for Sooyoung. She didn’t deserve the consequences that would befall her should things come to light. She was someone he respected greatly, for her ability to leave her femininity behind to stand in the front lines as a man, risking death and not to mention forced to live like that until the end of time. Not many women would do what she did and his admiration was unavoidable.

 

Unfortunately, he’d waited three days for her to come to him to set things in motion. But, she hadn’t sought him out, making him wonder if she had any sense of self-preservation at all.

 

“What will we have to do?” was the only form of greeting she offered him, coming to stand by his side. Out in the daylight she was back to playing her role as Lieutenant Choi Sooyoung, right-hand man to the prince and best friend to Yunho. Her taller than average height and slight figure allowed her to easily impersonate the man she’d chosen to become. Hair cropped shorter than other soldier even him included, cut to the shoulder and tied back severely by a hair tie, but even that didn’t detract from her beauty. The heavy uniform and shapelessness of the pants hiding an hint of her womanly charm.

 

He breathed, “It depends on how far you are willing to go, because once it’s set in motion things will spiral quickly.” His plan to save her all rested on Changmin’s reaction, and a part of him hoped the prince would choose what he thought he’d choose. Because he selfishly wanted a chance she would never otherwise give him.

 

“Spiral in what way?” the slightest of worry and doubt sounding in her voice. “This can’t affect his legacy in anyway way, you know that,” as always thinking of the prince before herself. The fatal consequence would befall her, while the government would scramble to protect and shield their future king, yet she worried for him.

 

“It won’t. The spiral will probably affect you more than him,” and Kris as well, should Changmin’s rage be uncontrollable enough to put him to death for setting his eyes on the object of his desire.

 

Growing up he’d always seen it, the young Prince’s affection and longing toward his guard even when he’d been a man in his eyes. It wasn’t a whim or fickle crush that could be blown away by the wind. The prince’s love was deep rooted, and his rage would probably be just as fiery. “But I promise to protect you as best as I can?”

 

Yunho, like the protective big brother shadow he’d been the past few days, approached them with intentions to prevent Kris from acting on any designs he may be having on Sooyoung. “Captain Wu, shouldn’t you be concentrating on your students?”

 

“I was taking a moment to get a word with the Lieutenant, Commander Jung. It feels like we haven’t spoken in a while,” Kris commented, annoying the usually infallible man with his subtle dig. “But, you are right. I’ll be on my way. Commander, Lieutenant,” he bid them farewell with a respectful bow.

 

 •            •             •

 

Once their red haired subordinate was a little way away, did Yunho speak again. “You know he’s always had his eye on you,” he warned her, like he’d been doing for the past week in hopes of deterring her from any interaction with him. Sooyoung understood what he was doing, but it was useless.

 

She began making her way to her quarters with Yunho following behind, “He doesn’t deserve your suspicion you know, he’s just trying to help.” Her friend’s loyalty was absolute, which meant he stood by Changmin come what may and Kris was threatening Changmin’s happiness so he wasn’t all that favorable.

 

“I just… I don’t know where to stand with this,” Yunho confessed once in the safety of her quarters. “On one had I want both of you happy. It’s all I could every want, because you’re the only family I have left…”

 

She was about to respond to lessen his load, but Changmin floated in his eyes trained on nothing but her as he spoke. “Commander, Ryeowook leave us. I have things to discuss with the Lieutenant,” it wasn’t a request, but a command to be followed. Yunho lingered unsure, but relented and left with the royal retainer probably to stay on guard outside the door to prevent interruption.

 

“I thought you wouldn’t look for me anymore,” she spoke once she was sure they were alone, back to him as she removed the restrictive armor setting it on the table. Already feeling his towering frame looming behind her, probably ready to corner and trap her should she want to escape.

 

“You’re the one who said it, I never promised anything,” he reminded, hands easily finding her hips as he stepped closer. “Stop avoiding me, Soo,” usually those words would be forceful, but it was a whispered request. Her actions had obviously affected him. He wasn’t the type to be distracted or undone by affairs of the heart, demonstrating it by keeping his distance and participating in legislation and teachings under his father for his impending takeover with his marriage a mere two days away.

 

His words twisted her heart uncomfortably. It was easier to let go when he wasn’t constantly around her, but now this single meeting was threatening to change her resolve, “Don’t make this hard on yourself,” she implored, trying to remove his hands but it only prompted him to wrap his arms around her waist tighter for the attempt. “Wangjanim, Please,” eyes shutting from her own heartbreak. She’d been really stupid to give into his advances, and now they were both suffering for it.

 

“Why won’t you say my name anymore,” his fingers twisting in the knot of her shirt, holding her flush against him with no intentions of letting go. Words whispered hotly in her ear, confusion and hurt twisted in his tone. He rarely allowed himself vulnerability he was presenting now, asserting just how much she was hurting him. “Changmin-ah, I love when you say it. The honorific is so cold coming from you.”

 

He couldn’t ask her this, he wasn’t being fair. “But, it’s what you are, wangjanim,” the emphasis on the word meant to remind him of it. Honorific giving her the needed detachment to see him as the future king than the man she loved. More than ever she hoped Kris’ plan worked. “You’re the future king –”

 

“–with you I’m only a man in love, don’t make this complicated,” he interrupted, turning her around to face him despite her resistance. Her dismissal was easier when she wasn’t looking at him, but he’d taken away that advantage too.

 

But even if it was less than convincing, she forced herself to look at him and contradict his words. “It, however, is complicated. I’m only trying to protect you –”

 

“ –I can protect myself,” his stubbornness shining through stronger than ever, always determined to have the last word.

 

“Not with your heart in the way,” she argued just as determined. She wasn’t going to let him make her think otherwise. “You deserve a reign free of controversy, a legacy of a sage king. Not one marred by your supposed love for a lieutenant in your army.” To him she was a woman, to the world she was a man. The scribes would make sure to record it as such, and even if it was discovered she was female it would be a felony committed to the state resulting in execution. While they’d do all to protect his image, the stain would still remain on his name for it.

 

“Supposed love? Do you take my feelings so lightly?” his hands holding onto her shoulders tightening uncomfortably as he demanded. She didn’t dare think that his love was anything but genuine, she’d felt it and experienced it. But the Queen Dowanger and state would see it otherwise… his protection was priority above being a woman and in love. It was a sworn duty she’d vowed to follow. “Answer me?”

 

“I have drills to oversee, wangjanim. I can’t ignore my duty,” avoidance was best, but it didn’t work as she’d hoped. Her tactic fuelled his determination, because she hadn’t flat out agreed to the query giving him hope.

 

“You feel like I do, that can’t be changed no matter how long or how far you run,” his temple against hers, thumbs caressing her cheeks. “I don’t know how it will work, but I’m not going to let this go.” His lips finding hers much softer and coaxing than they usually were and she was relenting the more he nipped and nibbled at her lips even after internally promising to resist. He wasn’t giving up and her resolve was horribly weak as she began giving in and responding. His kisses were like alcohol, delicious and liable to make her drunk the more she took in. Completely drunk when he deepened the kiss and she went along with him, the whole world falling away.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

Perhaps she was being greedy thinking she would have status as well as the love and adoration of her fiancé, given that it was an arranged marriage. Even then she felt like it wasn’t enough, like she needed to put a solid stop to whatever web the soldier had managed to weave to trap her beloved. It wasn’t in her nature to be this sly, but her passivity hadn’t served her well since his mind and soul were still Sooyoung’s to possess.

 

“Someone of your beauty and class shouldn’t be rattled by the friendship forged between the prince and his guard. It’s unbecoming, Victoria-noona,” Kris admonished condescendingly as he joined her on the balcony, where she was overseeing preparations for her nuptials. It should have been comforting to see it all come together, but her heart wasn’t at all settled. “It is what you summoned me for, to question me on non-existent threats?”

 

Victoria huffed indignantly. He must really think her paranoid or stupid to not notice what was being flashed in front of her eyes. She had Changmin’s attention and dedication as the future queen should, but the thought of him with that man… “Don’t try to fool me again about my doubts being imaginary, Kris. We both know they are true and the only reason you are trying so hard to convince me otherwise is because you want to deter me. Correct?”

 

“So if you are sure of all this, why is that I’m here now? You can’t question me on things you’ve already convinced yourself are true,” Kris drawled in bored annoyance, eyes on the activity below. As if he was beaconed by their discussion, Sooyoung appeared in the fray along with Yunho subconsciously making her tighten her fists in irritation. The man had her very own cousin insult her intelligence and mocking her, not to mention her fiancé’s preoccupation when he wasn’t busy with state matters.

 

It had to stop.

 

“I want you to do something about it,” her words not minced to be mistaken for anything but an order. The words seemed to have shook her cousin enough to warrant the unfolding of his arms and a raised eyebrow in question. “Don’t look at me like that, I’m not asking you to harm him. Just keep him away from wangjanim.” Her slight clarification seemed to mollify him enough to consider her request.

 

“How do you suppose I do that, dear cousin? The lieutenant’s rank allows for Sooyoung to be in the palace almost constantly. What would you have me do,” he pointed out, his own eyes sliding over to the soldier in question, lingering slightly longer than truly necessary. Could it be possible that he’d bewitched Kris as well and his protection was not for the prince, but for Sooyoung? What did a mere effeminate man have that stirred such things in not only the prince, but her cousin?

 

With narrowed eyes she attempted to catch her stoic cousin, and confirm her new found suspicions. “If he has ideas about the prince, it won’t be too hard to distract him from them. Would it?” It was dirty and so unlike her, but in this case everyone came away a winner. She’d have room to win her prince’s affections and the soldier would have his heart on a much more realistic pursuit. As for her cousin, she could never tell where his interest lay as he was always so cold, and if she was right then his longing would be fulfilled as well, by having the Sooyoung.

 

“Are you asking me to seduce Sooyoung? You do realize what you’re asking could have me exiled or killed,” Kris remained her. If not by the state itself, then possible jealousy from Changmin would certainly result in one of them. “Even if I do aid you, what is there for me to gain. I have the position I desire –”

 

“–The lieutenant,” Victoria cut him off, to add incentive to her request. “You admire him much too closely.” It was insane if she was wrong, but he had considered it, confirming that she wasn’t too far from the truth. “Should I be wrong, then consider it a duty to your country and future king. Scandals will tarnish him especially one like this. I have already discovered it myself, what’s not to say someone else looking closely wouldn’t do the same?”

 

For a tormenting moment he remained silent, staring unseeingly at her as if weighing it all mentally. “I hope this will rest anymore doubts you may have, and discourage you calling me here again,” it was an indirect acceptance of her request and it filled her with relief she hadn’t felt in a while. “Feelings aren’t easily controlled, I should think you know this by now,” it was a warning that Sooyoung being removed as a factor wouldn’t change anything, but she begged to defer and she would prove it.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

With her giving into Changmin heart, body and soul despite wanting to do the opposite, Sooyoung was desperate for an out more than ever before, because she realized neither of them was sober enough to walk away from the precarious situation. Kris was her only option now, whatever he suggested she would follow without question.

 

“So, what do you want me to do?” what happened the afternoon before couldn’t happen again. “Whatever you say, I’ll follow,” her determination unwavering this time round as reality came crashing down on her.

 

Kris looked at her obviously skeptical, as they continued the trek into the woods. Her less than solid stance on her situation probably deserved it, so she couldn’t blame him. “Give in to me,” he told her, words strong and clear not to be mistaken, stopping her in her tracks because they were just too unreal to be true. “Give into me, like you do to him,” he repeated again as if to clarify.

 

“Excuse me?” what did he think she was, a tramp? Someone he could preposition to fulfill whatever filthy fantasy he had in his head. Her brain and pride demanded a very violent refusal of the proposal, angry at being too stupid to listen to Yunho’s warnings.

 

“You said you’d do anything,” his tone annoying calm as if he’d asked her to give him book instead of intimacy. He was crazy, wasn’t he? Ready to storm away, he restrained her by latching onto her arm.

 

“Let go,” she growled, body vibrating with barely restrained anger, his touch making her skin crawl in disgust.

 

“You haven’t let me finish, Lieutenant. You might want to listen to it all, before making a decision,” his smooth drawl urged her to listen. “You have nothing to lose, and if it isn’t to your liking we can pretend it never happened.” Not wanting to be fooled, but grudgingly feeling like he wasn’t the letch his earlier proposal had suggested. If she didn’t like what he said, he’d certainly feel her wrath in more ways than one.

 

“Talk.”

 

 --~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

The wedding was everything Changmin didn’t want it to be. Of course Victoria looked heartbreaking beautiful becoming his wife and the celebration was not only large but stunning. Yet it left him empty, because the one he desired to be his woman for eternity, if possible, was standing among the crowd masquerading as a man, in full military gear. Victoria wasn’t at fault for his deviant gaze, and he gave her all the attention she required, even a wedding night despite his mind and heart being somewhere else.

 

In an ideal world Sooyoung would be his queen, or if not possible his chosen royal lady to remain by his side. But fate was cruel when it came to him. First he’d fallen for his guard and friend who he was forbidden to look upon because he was effectively a man, only to find out that she’d never been a man but was always a woman, filling him with an incredible amount of anger and betrayal that had taken away time he would have used to court her. Happiness came when she finally gave him her heart, only for a war to stall whatever progress they had, and a marriage to loom over them like a dark cloud immediately after. It felt like he’d just gotten her, before circumstances began forcing him to let go.

 

Her time, days following the wedding, was dedicated to the smug ginger-haired archer, he’d jealously observed. Sharing whispered secrets and time that was meant to be his, laughing and training together like he didn’t exist in her heart. It didn’t help that he was another who knew that Sooyoung was a woman, and as such treated her with the delicacy and care he would afford a woman.

 

He hated it, but his responsibilities kept him occupied to go drive a wedge in whatever was brewing between the two. The reigns of leadership would soon be transferred in his hands and the preparations were time consuming, but he did as was required of him. Responsibilities couldn’t be abandoned because he was jealous, but opportunity came when his father granted him a break the day before the passing of guard ceremony.

 

As always he observed them together in the barracks, sitting away from the rest on their own table engaged in a private discussion. It was all innocent he supposed and it was his jealousy that was the one painting it otherwise, but then the red-head leaned in uncomfortably and intimately close, whispering something in her ear and he couldn’t stand it anymore. He was ready to stomp over and make an excuse to break up whatever was happening, but the red-head got up and disappeared into the forest and his anger calmed a bit. It was short lived as Sooyoung rose to follow, movement slinky and secretive.

 

What in the hell was going on, he wondered following them in the shadows.

 

•             •             •

 

Despite disagreeing with the method, Yunho had allowed it go on undisturbed. Part of him had even hoped that the wedding would be enough to deter Changmin from seeking Sooyoung again, and the plan would be unnecessary. But he’d soon realized that the reason he hadn’t sought the woman was due to his many responsibilities preceding the change-of-guard ceremony and not because he had no desire to do it. He still asked after her whenever they were alone, still stole long gazes at her and was greatly irked by her closeness with Kris.

 

Tonight seemed to be the night, as he spotted Changmin in the shadows watching Sooyoung and Kris with barely controlled anger. His urge to protect him was hard to fight as Yunho watched the prince follow them into the forest. More than one heart would be broken tonight and there was nothing he could do but let it happen, because the alternative would end with the death of Sooyoung.

 

 •            •             •

 

“It seems you were wrong about him giving up on you,” Kris whispered in her ear having spied the prince in the shadows watching them none too please, “Because he’s here.” In the days that had passed with him sticking close to her, he could definitely understand the great love and addiction the prince had for her. Kris’ respect growing into genuine affection, because she was just so unbelievable strong in both character and emotions, allowing herself only a tear after the prince’s wedding before returning to the hardened soldier the troops respected.

 

Her heart stuttered even as she kept her facial expression as neutral as possible. Sooyoung couldn’t dare look to see if it was true, instead forcing herself into logical thinking, “We should get this over with.” Even if her heart protested, it had to be done.

 

“Give it to the count of 7 before you follow,” was his final instruction as he walked away and into the forest, partially sure she’d follow which wasn’t comforting. Love made many irrational and Sooyoung, despite being very logical, was the same. Her love for the prince was just as strong as the prince’s own, and a few heartfelt words and gestures would have her returning to Changmin like a moth to a flame.

 

Taking a deep breath, she got up and followed keeping her movement suspiciously stealthy to stir uncertainty in Changmin. She easily made out Kris’ shadowy figure ahead of her, his gait relaxed and unhurried as if they weren’t going to do something heartbreaking to the future king of their country. But then again, the red-head wasn’t emotionally invested in the situation so he would feel no remorse for actions taken. The path to her cabin was one she could do with her eyes closed, but she would forever hate herself for this particular trip to it.

 

“Did you make sure you weren’t followed,” Kris made a show of perceived caution, when she finally stepped in front of him. His movements deliberate as he approached her, peripheral vision picking up Changmin in the tree line.

 

She forced a snigger, “are you questioning my skill at stealth, Captain?” feeling sick to her stomach knowing that Changmin was watching this show. Kris’ hand cupping her neck and pulling her close felt foreign, but she made herself malleable, going to him easily like it was natural.

 

“Just insuring we won’t be interrupted,” he wasn’t the smoothest operator out there, and Sooyoung seemed to feel the same if her raised eyebrow was anything to go by. But, even if he lacked eloquence in his words, he definitely was practiced in action –trailing his hand down her neck, across her shoulder and down her arm to capture her hand and pull her inside the cabin. She may not feel for him then, but with the prince out of the way, he would work his hardest to make those emotions shift to him because, despite of how it all began, he found himself wanting her for his own.

 

•             •             •

 

Changmin didn’t want to believe it, his heart didn’t want to believe it, yet it was happening right in front of his eyes. She’d willingly let another man pull her intimately close, when he’d been the only one to do it prior. Allowed herself to be pulled into the cabin to do heaven knows what with that ginger-haired bugger.

 

Despite knowing what he might see, he found himself moving toward the cabin’s window. He wasn’t a voyeur but his sanity wanted to prove that what he was seeing was some show she’d conjured up to deter him, prove that she still felt for him like he did for her. That he still had her heart, no matter how selfish it sounded.

 

But those hopes were shattered the minute he looked in to the room, and all that remained was hatred, rage and betrayal that demanded vengeance. Plastering himself against the wall near the window, unable to watch anymore as tears, he usually didn’t cry, fell down his face. His legs felt weak and collapsed under him, the sounds killing him to hear.

 

--~*+*~-:-o-:-~*+*~--

 

It was the biggest show of her life and Sooyoung felt completely disgusted with herself. Nothing may have happened in the cabin other than an exaggerated show of an amorous rendezvous, but it was enough to do the intended damage. He was still out there she knew, waiting to confront her for what she’d done, even though the defiant part of her argued he had no right to feel anything.

 

“Whatever happens, know that I will protect you,” Kris’ assurances sounded in her ear, even as her heart pounded loudly in her ears. She supposed it was meant to reassure her, but it did nothing to calm her, each step heavier than the last as they walked out the door.  Changmin was nowhere in sight, but she could sense him close, his ki tinged with a malevolent air that promised trouble, Kris stiffening beside her confirmed her thoughts.

 

With a deep breath she took the first steps toward the path that would lead them back to the barracks, with Kris sticking closer feeling some sort of protective need for her. It was unneeded in her opinion, because Changmin would –

 

Her thoughts were contradicted, when he jumped down into a graceful crouch from his perch in the trees brandishing a katana that glinted dangerously in the moonlight. As he stood to his full length and looked at her, she could easily make out the glistening brown eyes and dried tear tracks on his face. She’d expected violent anger, but his face was painfully calm.

 

Kris was already reaching for his own sword to defend her against attack, because he felt responsible for her. But she stilled his action, eyes never leaving Changmin and his eerily calm form. Strangely she was unafraid and approached her love, with steady steps.

 

Midnight had finally arrived on the fairytale that was their love, and it was time to face the consequences.

 

--~*+*~-:-The End-:-~*+*~--

 

Authors note:  I had so many ideas for this one, which if I ever manage to finish, will be posted as separate one shots. It’s a bit dark, but not enough to warrant a mature stamp. After watching Sungkyunkwan Scandal (and not finishing it because it annoyed me toward the end), I realized the whole cross-dressing masquerade thing is usually taken very lightly and I wanted to take a somber spin on it in this one. By now you may have realized that my niche is Yunyoung, but I wanted to write another pair and ended up with a twisted love square.

 

Inspiration: Damo, Sungkyunkwan Scandal and Painter of the Wind. I really adored Damo and Painter of the Wind and I would recommend them if you like historical dramas.

 

Please take the time to comment, subscribe or up vote if you like the story. It is after all for a competition. Thank you for giving it a read.

 

[Additional Notes] I think it’s pretty obvious that none of the main characters are all that heroic or good. Changmin is selfish holding onto someone when he knows he could never give her what she deserves. Sooyoung is deceptive in choosing to live as a man, keeping on with someone who is obviously taken and not being brave enough to walk away solidly. Kris for helping her through ulterior motives because he wants to have her for himself. Victoria for using her cousin to keep affections that are not hers and lastly, Yunho (even though it was hard to do it, cause he’s hard to write as being anything but upstanding) for being passive and allowing things to unfold.

 

The whole thing is twisted and rather vague, which is what I was going for because it’s suppose to be a scene plucked from a larger story. It is another idea I would like to expand and flesh out, should the response be favorable, but if it’s not liked I’ll leave it as a standalone.