Stars

When We Meet Again

Rein lied down on the bed. She still has to wake up early for tomorrow. But then she couldn’t make herself fall asleep. She decided to go down the couch and took a bar of white chocolate from the fridge. Rein made herself a cup of hot white chocolate with marshmallows floating on top. She went out of the balcony and stared at the sky. It made her feel nostalgic.

                The stars are shining brightly tonight.

                The same way how the stars shine that night.

                That night when they were together.

 

FLASHBACK

                Rein was spacing out on history class. Their teacher was telling them about a book entitled “Pride and Prejudice” where Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy doesn’t get along at first because Mr. Darcy was a bit snobbish but eventually, they overcome their class differences and fall in love with each other.

                “I hope that happens to me and Teukie oppa too.” Rein sighed to herself.

                “Okay class, choose your partner. You have to make a book critique of Pride and Prejudice. It will be passed next week.” The teacher suddenly announced.

                When Rein glanced at Leeteuk, a swarm of girls was already crowding him. She suddenly poked Heechul who was wearing a white shirt and pants that were are bright red as the lollipop he was playing with his tongue.

                “Yah Kim Heechul. Let’s be partners.” She ordered.

                “Why me? Why not ask your Teukie oppa?” Heechul asked, smirking.

                “I don’t want to take risks. Besides, I’m more comfortable with you.” Rein stated in a matter-of-fact tone.

                “I guess I don’t have a choice either. You’re the only person in this room who doesn’t make side comments when they see me.” Heechul replied.

                “It’s a deal then!” Rein chimed. “Let’s both read the book okay?”

                “Fine. How about making the paper in our house this weekend?” He offered.

                “Ohh. Sure!” Rein smiled. She doesn’t know why, but she seems really happy that she’s going to be with Heechul.

                The remaining school days passed by with Rein reading Pride and Prejudice. She was also getting curious on what Heechul’s house look like. Rein bet that it would be quirky as Heechul’s personality. So when Saturday afternoon came, she happily met Heechul by the creek.

                “Thank god you’re not late. Oh wait. I don’t believe in gods.” He corrected himself. He was donning a zebra printed shirt and black pants.

                “This guy is far more fashionable than me.” Rein thought as she grasped on the paper bags she was holding.

                “Why are you bringing so much? Have you decided to move into my hose?” Heechul teased.

                “Aniyo! I decided to cook dinner for you.” Rein replied and puffed her cheeks.

                “Good. I thought we still have to deliver fast food.” Heechul stated. He started walking without even budging to help Rein with her paper bags.

                “Aigoo. This guy.” She muttered under her breath and run towards Heechul, trying to catch him up.

                Rein’s instincts were right. Heechul’s house is as quirky as him. He lives in a normal spacious condominium. But once you enter, you will think that you were teleported into another dimension. The walls were filled with graffiti and odd painting. Most of the furniture were in a peculiar shape or color.

                “My mom’s an artist.” Heechul spoke as he noticed that Rein was gaping by the sight of his house.

                “Oh.” That was the only thing that came out of Rein’s mouth because she was definitely amazed. “I’ll make dinner first. We cannot do a good paper with an empty stomach.”

                Heechul led Rein to the kitchen. She started making kimchi rice cake soup while Heechul just watched.

                “Wow. I’ve only eaten fast food since last week.” He spoke.

                “Wae? You don’t cook?” Rein asked as she stirs the ladle.

                “Not my style.” He chuckled.

                Once the soup was done, Rein poured some on the bowls for Heechul and herself. He immediately took a sip from the soup.

                “So delicious!” Heechul exclaimed, taking more mouthfuls of the soup. Rein giggled at the sight Heechul happily eating. It made her feel really happy too. When their tummies are so full, they decided to dump the dishes on the sink and started to do their book critique. Rein slumped down the carpeted floor and opened Heechul’s laptop (The wallpaper is Heechul wearing cat ears LOL).

                “Did you finish the book?” Rein asked.

                “Didn’t even finish the first chapter.” Heechul replied. He was lying on the floor comfortably with Baengshin (The name of the cat he found by the creek) rolling on his tummy.

                “Yah! I’ll just have to do this by myself then.” Rein complained and started typing on the laptop.

                “I can provide you entertainment so you won’t fall asleep.” Heechul grinned. Rein just rolled her eyes and continued typing.

                True to what he said, Heechul entertained Rein as she does the book critique. Heechul would reenact some scenes from Pride and Prejudice; Heechul as Elizabeth and Baengshin as Mr. Darcy. Elizabeth often got purrs as a reply from Mr. Darcy. It would crack Rein up and she would start laughing out loud. But as the night got deeper, Rein felt her eyes drooping. She glanced at the lollipop shaped clock. It’s midnight already. It has been four hours since she started the paper but she barely made it halfway. She also noticed that Heechul’s not around anymore.

                “Heechul?” Rein called out. His head suddenly poked out of the opened door.

                “Come here.” Heechul stated with his hand gesturing for Rein to follow him. She stood up and went to where Heechul was. As she took a step outside, she saw the vast dark sky illuminated by the bright stars.

                “It’s beautiful.” Rein stated loudly. She stretched her hand up high wanting to touch the               dazzling gems in the sky.

                “It is.” Heechul replied. “I always take time to look at the sky. It’s like I’ve got dozens of friends who are out there to be with me.”

                He suddenly handed Rein a mug of hot white chocolate with marshmallows floating on the surface.

                “This is my specialty.” Heechul jokingly said.

                “Well, it’s an honor to be able to taste this.” Rein chuckled as she took the mug. She gave it a nip and sighed happily. “It’s good.”

                They just both spent the moment silently as they adore the glittery sky and warm chocolate. No words were spoken but there were no awkwardness. It even made them feel that they become closer. When Heechul finished her hot chocolate, he decided to break the silence.

                “You’re my first friend in our class.” Heechul confessed. “No one seems to like me. The guys think I’m gay when in fact; I’m far more handsome than them. The girls hate me because they easily get hurt by my blunt words. It’s not my fault if they look like clowns with their heavy make-up.”

                “You are my first friend in our class. My friends from last year are in other sections. Since, we have different schedules I don’t get to see them anymore. And you’re right I do think the girls in our class looks like horrifying clowns. Thank you for being my friend Kim Heechul.”

                Rein leaned her head on Heechul’s shoulder. Her hair smelled like sweet strawberries. Heechul just wanted to stay there at that moment.

                “Thank you for being my friend too Rein.”

                Silence only enveloped them. When Heechul glanced at Rein, she was already asleep. He carried her towards his bed and placed her down carefully.

                Stars… Glittery stars… Rein thought. She felt like she was floating on the sky with her sparkly friends. But as she turned her head, a sudden burst of brightness shot towards her face making her eyes open. She stared at the window. The sun is now up in the sky and the stars are nowhere in sight. That’s when she realized…

                “I HAVEN”T FINISHED THE CRITIQUE YET!” She screamed and dashed towards the living room. Rein saw Heechul sleeping on the floor. When she checked the laptop, the critique is already done.

                “Thank you chingu.” Rein smiled as she covered Heechul in his cat designed blanket.

                She made friends with the stars.

                The brightest star.

                And that’s Kim Heechul.