Snowflakes are beautiful

Dreadful Interim

 

It was winter now and there were not many people who stayed outside because of the cold. The snow was white and fluffy like a warm blanket that set itself all over the city, covering it with its icy warmth. Everyone was enjoying their heartfelt moments, cuddling in their homes with the ones they hold dear to them.

But not to this particular girl, Hanna, who was wearing a white jacket that covered almost all of her body above her knees. Her cold rosy cheeks, indicating that she had already left her warm home for a few hours. She was waiting for someone whom was very dear to her. Her handsome boyfriend Yixing, as known as Lay.

She rubbed both of her palms together to keep herself warm but the cold was killing her. She loathed cold. She loathed waiting. She loathed being alone. Fate was playing a prank on this poor girl. Now, she was waiting in the cold and not to mention, alone, in front of a peaceful park.

She did not wait for anyone but she was willing to wait just for her boyfriend who was a perfect boyfriend to her. She hated to be alone because she would feel insecurities around her. She did not trust others who she considered a stranger to her easily.

Yixing took around a year in order to ask Hanna to be his girlfriend. She sat on a familiar bench where everyone could see her; it would make it easier for Yixing to find her.

The clock was ticking denoting the time was fast to pass by like that for three hours long. She was still waiting and remained seated on her seat while staring blankly at the busy road in front of the park. The passerby who noticed her would throw her a pity look because she stayed in the cold alone.

Unknown to her, there was a stranger who sat on a bench not far from her who noticed her from three hours ago. The stranger was taking a walk around the park when he found her and thought that she would leave not long afterwards. But, she remained in the cold as the stranger found her again when he wanted to leave.

He, who was curious about the beautiful stranger who was waiting patiently in the cold decided to search for a seat and waited too. Actually he was worried towards the girl in the white jacket. Her face was showing a confidence expression as if the person she was waiting for would come up to her after three hours of painful waiting.

The girl embraced her body shoving the cold temperature that was slowly creeping out her fragile body.

The girl was deep in thought as he approached her from afar. Finally, the man came up to her and asked for a seat. She did not notice him until the man gave her shoulder a soft pat.

“Oh, hey. I’m sorry. How can I help you?” muttered the girl a bit shock with the sudden confrontation.

“Can I sit here? You look alone,” asked the pretty boy.

“Of course you can sit here, I’m just waiting for someone,” answered the beautiful girl.

The silent and awkward atmosphere disappeared when the pretty boy introduced himself starting a relaxed conversation between them.

“You can call me Myungsoo. What’s your name?” chimed the pretty boy lively.

“Hanna. Park Hanna,” the girl gave a short answer showing her delicate state.

“Who are you waiting for, Hanna?” the boy asked again not knowing the opposite of comfortableness side from her.

“My boyfriend,” this time too, she gave a short answer disappointing the attractive boy.

Myungsoo switched his gazes to the front as he felt the girl did not want to be disturbed. The contented atmosphere filled the air as they kept silent again. Not long after that, the snow was falling slowly making the surrounding became more cold to the bone.

Myungsoo glanced at Hanna because he kept shifting around to give his body a little warm. Meanwhile she stood unmoving on her seat. As the snow kept falling, Myungsoo could not contain the coldness anymore and stood up to go somewhere else.

Hanna knew Myungsoo went away leaving her alone in the snow but she did not flinch at the slightest thought.  She stared at the sky looking at the falling snow, giving a numb feeling to her body because of the cold. But, the numbness state could not compare to her heart, which had been covered with ice long ago.

She closed her eyes and enjoyed the snow falling on her face greeting the warm skin of her with coldness. Suddenly, the snow stopped falling as she could not feel any coldness anymore. Her eyes fluttered open meeting with a black umbrella protecting her from the snow.

She turned to the right only to meet with a pair of beautiful eyes looking at her innocently. It was the Myungsoo boy from earlier who sat comfortably beside her. He gave a white scarf to her. She looked at his hand intensely as she could not grasp why a stranger would care enough for her in that state.

“Here, take it. I only buy an umbrella and a black scarf for myself but the kind-hearted seller give this scarf as a present. You look cold,” Myungsoo know Hanna would not take the scarf so he wrapped the white scarf on her quickly.

Hanna was stunned, feeling a warm radiating on her neck before Myungsoo’s hand left her. Her rosy cheeks became warm because she did not expect Myungsoo would do that to her.

“Thank you,” she gave her thanks with a low voice.

They shared the umbrella together in a silent atmosphere until a sweet couple walked together while holding hands on the other side of the road. Hanna’s attention shifted to the sweet couple unpredictably. Hanna froze at the dreadful sight in front of her.

 She clenched her grips on the hem of her jacket. She could feel her tears were welling up in her eyes but she managed to get her emotions back as she blinked a few times. Myungsoo was sitting closer to her and she did not want to attract his attention.

As for Myungsoo, being the observant he was, he noticed the changing of mood in the air involving Hanna. He turned to her side only to see Hanna was on the verge of tears. He felt his heart being pierced as he connected the ties, the boyfriend must be the one that Hanna was waiting for. He stood up immediately but before he advanced to confront the boyfriend who put Hanna on tears, he felt a slender hand held him, refraining him from taking another step.

“Stop, Myungsoo. It’s not his fault. Yixing was my boyfriend a year ago. It’s me who can’t let go of him yet,” said Hanna while breaking into tears. 

Myungsoo stopped abruptly and plopped to his seat again. His leg wobbled greatly as he could hear Hanna’s sobbing softly through his ears.

“This is the place we break up one year ago. I saw Yixing was strolling with her new girlfriend and I confronted him at that time. The answer that I got was ‘I want to break up’ from his mouth with the girl watching me from beside. I’m the one who can’t move on yet,” she muffled her cries but they would not stop immediately instead, it became more, flowing out uncontrollably.

That was the tears that had been built up inside Hanna, waiting for a perfect time to break her.

Myungsoo could not stand seeing the broken girl in front of him so he hugged the girl while giving a soothing pat on her back. She continued bailing her tears out until she did not have any more tears to spill. After a few minutes, Myungsoo released the fragile girl and let Hanna to fix herself after the sudden outburst.

Hanna was embarrassed because she cried in front of a stranger who she met for the first time. She hung her head low until she heard Myungsoo stood up again.

So, he left me alone too. She thought.

Hanna still stayed at the bench after a while and hugged her knees. She needed time to control her emotions and gathered her pieces of broken mind back. She thought she was alone all the time but she felt a tug on her shoulder. She looked up only to see Myungsoo holding a cup of hot chocolate and a bowl of ice-cream.

“Hey, you know. Chocolate can ease your mind. Besides, it’s hot chocolate that I bring, it won’t make you cold. Try it,” urged Myungsoo.

Hanna gave a faint smile as thanks towards the young man. She sat comfortably before reaching out her hands to receive the drink. Her gazes fell on the ice cream.

“Myungsoo, why did you buy ice cream too? Don’t you feel it too cold to eat during winter?” she titled her head confused.

Myungsoo smiled brightly and said, “I know it’s cold. That’s why I buy the hot chocolate for you first. After that, you have to finish this ice cream but you can share it with me if you feel it’s too much for you. My mother said ice cream can give our smile back.”

Maybe the winter was not too cold that day as Hanna felt her heart feeling a strange, warm tingling for the first time after one long, terrible year that would come to end soon. 

 

 

 

a/n: hi, there. this is amy. yeah, again.

       i know i can't leave my story hanging but i haven't figure out how to end this story yet.

       maybe i'll leave it just like that or add one more chapter to end it more beautifully.