Starting Over

Could it be... I like you?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi everyone! Before you read, let me make this announcement. Here we are at chapter 50… and this will be the last chapter for now. Wait, don’t panic! What I mean is, I’ve decided to create different ‘books’ for this story, similar to shows having different ‘seasons’. Let’s just say this is the last episode for season 1 of this story. Book 2 will come very soon so don’t you worry. Just keep this little fact in mind as you read this chapter, okay? I’ll discuss it some more at the end of this since you’re probably too eager to read an update from me (which I haven’t given in a loooong time. Sorry for that). This chapter is quite long. More than 9,000 words. WHAT. I know right? It’s like a double-chapter. (But it feels shorter than you think. Last few chaps were like 7,000 words each). HAHA. Enjoy!

 

‘Really? Another one? That’s the fourth time this week,’ he eyed the basket of flowers that Shin Hye just received from the delivery man.

‘Actually, it’s the fifth,’ she corrected, sporting a huge grin on her face. She bent down to smell the white roses and calla lilies. Sweet. She carefully searched for the card she knew would be hidden somewhere between the stems and the leaves. As soon as she found it, she read excitedly. Usually his messages were peppered with I miss you’s and sweet quotes but today, she sniggered at his unorthodox message: ‘No looking at young college boys. I’m warning you.’

Her manager frowned. ‘Isn’t he trying a bit too much? It’s not like you’re going to change your mind about taking him back.’

Shin Hye could hear the bitterness in Joon oppa’s voice. When she explained what really happened in Jeju that night – more out of necessity since he was mildly freaking out about the scene between her and Geun Suk in her hotel room – he wasn’t too thrilled.  As a matter of fact, he gave her the cold shoulder for the rest of the day.

‘I told you. I know what I’m doing,’ she replied. She held on to the hope that this discussion had ended the first time he ranted about Min Ho, and that was when she received her first basket of flowers a few days back. She scanned her place for somewhere she can display the latest bunch, since the dining and coffee tables were already occupied by Min Ho’s previous gifts, and the others were in her room. She spotted the top of the bookshelf and smiled.

‘I just don’t understand why you would want to put yourself through that again. I saw you trudge through your work appointments with no wink of sleep. And don’t think I don’t know you’ve been crying all the time. Your eyes were always puffy in the morning. Whenever I see you looking so morose, I just feel an overwhelming urge to punch the living day lights out of that giant.’

‘Oppa.’

‘Break ups are rough,’ he continued, ignoring her. ‘They leave you feeling empty and lonely. But if every couple who broke up gave in to the feeling of loneliness and got back together, then everyone would marry their first love.’

Shin Hye sighed and faced her manager. She didn’t have to explain herself, but she knew that he was just concerned about her.

‘I didn’t give him another chance because I was lonely. I did it because I love him,’ she replied with conviction. Even she was surprised at how bolder she was becoming at vocalizing her feelings. Maybe their break-up taught her to be more in tune with her emotions. And be braver. ‘He made a mistake,’ she continued. ‘But don’t we all? If nobody gave second chances, then all of us would live full of regrets.’

Her manager looked like he was about to say something, but stopped himself and sank into the couch, looking defeated. Shin Hye sat beside him and slid her arm around his arm playfully. ‘I know you don’t trust him. But I’m asking you to trust me. Have a little faith, okay?’

It took a while before Joon replied. But when he did, he got up from the couch to face Shin Hye. With steely eyes, he put his hands on his waist. ‘Fine. But only because I trust you’re still the sensible girl I’ve known for years. And don’t expect me to bend over backwards for Lee Min Ho again. He’s your boyfriend, not mine.’

Shin Hye smiled. ‘Of course. You don’t even have to see him. We can date secretly and you won’t have to know.’

‘Aish!’

‘I’m kidding,’ she laughed. ‘Stop being so serious. I wonder if Dong Woo oppa is as uptight as you are.’

‘Tch! Don’t even get me started on his manager,’ he scoffed. ‘He never called me to apologize for what that kid did to you.’

‘Why would he apologize? It’s not like he broke up with you.’

He shook his head. ‘Excuse me. While you and Min Ho were happily going on dates and being careless, it was us who suffered. We had to carry the burden of making sure that you two didn’t get caught. We probably talked on the phone more times than you and your boyfriend have. So Min Ho breaking up with you is practically the same thing as his manager breaking up with me!’

Shin Hye got up from the couch and patted Joon’s shoulder. ‘Then you two probably have to spend some time in Jeju and make up. I’ll tell Geun Suk oppa to loan you his villa.’

‘You know what, I prefer sulky Shin Hye. She’s more quiet and less sarcastic.’

‘Too bad. Happy Shin Hye is here to stay,’ she beamed. ‘Come on, oppa. You promised me a ride to school.’ She hurriedly went back into her room to grab her bag. She was only going there to register, but the thought of going back to the Chung Ang campus excited her. Her life for the past year has been nothing but work that the thought of going back to school actually seemed more like a vacation.

Her manager blocked the door before she can step out. ‘Are you absolutely sure about this? I can still file that leave, you know. I mean, now that you’re back with Min Ho, you won’t need to enroll this semester.’

She furrowed her brows. ‘How are they related?’

‘Come on, you made the decision of going back when you two broke up. I’m sure there’s a connection.’

Shin Hye sighed. It was true. Originally, she planned on extending her leave because more and more work opportunities came for her, but after the break-up, she realized going to school would be good for her heart and soul. Being around cameras and sets reminded her too much of Min Ho. She had hoped that a change of scenery can clear her head.

Of course she wouldn’t need that change anymore now, but she still liked the idea of escaping more work commitments to become a student again.

‘Oppa, I need to get my degree as soon as possible so I can focus on work. Just imagine how many projects I can do if I don’t have to worry about graduating anymore,’ she gently nudged him aside. ‘Let’s go, I need to fix my class schedule!’ She chirped excitedly.

 

She walked the familiar hallways and smiled to herself. It truly felt like it’s been so long since she’s been there. So much happened in the past year that she was afraid she’ll have to adjust to being in college again. Surely, most of her classmates would be done with the subjects she’ll have to take now. Ha Neul decided to extend his leave, and so did Go Ara. She was hoping Kim Bum or Kim So Eun would be there. Or Yuri and Sooyoung of Girls Generation, even if they weren’t particularly close. But they were probably on leave, too.

She laughed, remembering what Ara told her over the phone a few days ago.

‘Are you crazy? Why would you go back to school now? Didn’t you receive a mountain of drama and film scripts? Who goes back to school at the peak of their career? You’re making all of us look bad. If Kim Soo Hyun decides to enroll this semester, then I’m really going to have to reassess my life choices.’

As she approached their dean’s office, she noticed there weren’t a lot of students there today. It was understandable since school officially starts next week, and most of them probably finished registering for their classes already. Today was her only free day, and she felt a little guilty about being late again.

‘Miss Park Shin Hye,’ the dean’s secretary stood up to greet her brightly.

‘Oh annyeonghaseyo!’ Shin Hye loved Miss Han. She was always so perky and cheerful. It made coming to the dean’s office less daunting for the theatre and film majors. She was already in her mid-thirties, but her bright appearance made her look so much younger than she was.

‘I heard rumors you were going back to school but I didn’t believe it at first since most of your friends extended their leave,’ she motioned for Shin Hye to sit.

‘Ah yeah, I talked to some of them and they’re quite busy with work.’

The lady furrowed her brows and gave her an amused smile. ‘But aren’t you the busiest of all of them? You’re everywhere these days. Everywhere I turn and there’s a billboard of you! And can I just say, you’ve become a lot prettier.’

She blushed and looked down. ‘Aniyo.’

‘The dean isn’t here, but he told me that you’ll be coming in today,’ she turned to a pile of folders and sifted through them. She grabbed one and handed it to Shin Hye. ‘I know you’re a busy girl so I’ve prepared your schedule for you. Most of your classes are crammed in certain days so you’ll have a few days off per week to accommodate your work schedules.’

Shin Hye was wide-eyed. ‘Cheongmalyo? Thank you so much,’ she bowed as she took the folder from her. She looked through her schedule excitedly, glad that she didn’t have to talk to her professors about her work commitments. ‘This is really nice of you, Miss Han. I really appreciate it.’ She smiled widely.

‘Well, it wasn’t that difficult, since most of your classes this semester are confined in the theatre and film department. And it helps that your professors love you. I don’t know how you maintain your high grades and still be this popular.’

Shin Hye giggled. ‘I’ll have to treat you to coffee or dinner sometime, Miss Han.’

‘No need for that honey. I’m just doing my job,’ she waved her hand. ‘Keunde... there is one thing I’d like to ask, if you don’t mind.’

‘Anything,’ Shin Hye looked at her expectantly.

She bent down and lowered her voice. ‘Is Lee Min Ho really that handsome in person?’

Shin Hye laughed out loud, surprising Miss Han. When her laughter subsided, she turned to her with a huge smile. ‘However good-looking you think he is on TV, he’s ten times that in person.’

‘Omona! Chincha?’

‘Absolutely. He’s even more handsome than Won Bin sunbae in my opinion. Sometimes I wonder if he’s real because his face is out of this world. And when you look into his eyes,’ she paused, and gestured to her stomach, ‘...you’ll feel your insides melting. I had a hard time filming with him because of that. I couldn’t keep a straight face most of the time.’

At this point, Miss Han rested her head on her palm as she listened. ‘Aigoo. You’re so lucky, Shin Hye-ssi!’

‘And I’ll let you in on a little secret,’ Shin Hye continued. ‘He’s also one of the kindest men you’ll ever meet. It’s true. He isn’t like those other popular celebrities who just party and meet girls all the time. He’s a gentleman, and he’s very sweet.’

‘Omoooo, if only I didn’t have a boyfriend...’

Shin Hye laughed. ‘Do you want me to introduce you to him? We’re quite close.’

‘Cham! Didn’t you have a dating scandal with him?’ She asked with a curious expression. But she looked like she regretted it immediately because she turned away.

Shin Hye looked down, too, embarrassed. ‘Aniyo, we just have uhh... an oppa-dongsaeng relationship.’

‘Sorry if I sound too nosey,’ she apologized. ‘It’s just that you two would look good together. I watched your drama well.’

Shin Hye blushed and thanked her again for everything. As soon as she stood up to leave, she saw a number of students crowded by the door. They all looked at her, wide-eyed, and started buzzing among each other. Shin Hye figured they must be freshmen. She walked up to them and gave them a wave. ‘Annyeong!’

Some of them squealed, and the others fumbled for their phones to take pictures.

‘Ya, ya, ya! Is it your first time seeing a celebrity, huh? That’s your sunbae, greet her respectfully!’ Miss Han yelled from her desk.

‘Annyeonghaseyo, sunbae!’ They all gave her a low bow.

Shin Hye laughed, remembering how it was like when she first attended college. She was as excited as them to find out that a lot of celebrities were actually enrolled in her department. Shin Hye gladly obliged when they asked for photos and autographs. After a quick pep talk, she left them giggling and spazzing to themselves.

Her phone rang just as she was about to reach for it to call her manager. She planned on having coffee at her favorite cafe near the campus before asking him to fetch her. As soon as she saw the screen, her expression brightened.

‘Oppa,’ she tried to sound as nonchalant as possible, but she knew that her excitement must have been evident in her voice.

‘Have I ever told you that I find college girls the most attractive?’

She grinned. ‘No, but that should probably worry me since there are thousands of college girls in South Korea.’

‘But none of them are as pretty as you.’

Shin Hye winced. ‘Is this how you’re going to woo me? With greasy lines?’

‘Why? Is it working?’

‘Well…’

‘See? You know you love them,’ he chuckled. ‘But seriously, I don’t know how anyone can look so good wearing just a lousy grey shirt and jeans.’

Shin Hye looked down at what she was wearing: a lousy grey shirt and jeans. Her eyes widened as the realization hit her. She made 90-degree turns, scanning all corners of the campus she could lay her eyes on to find where the sneaky and ever-so-careless man was. She did a double-take when she spotted a tall man wearing a black hoodie, zipped so high up it covered his neck and his chin. He was wearing thick black shades but it wasn’t hard to tell that his eyes were smiling, amused at the sight of her flabbergasted.

She had enough sense not to come near him, knowing that some of the students who flocked her earlier were probably still looking. Oddly, instead of anxiety or anger, all she felt was happiness. It was the first time they were actually seeing face to face since Jeju. It was a misplaced reunion for sure, and she will have to hound him later on the dangers of his unwise yet sweet gestures, but for now, she’s glad to see him. Ecstatic, even.

She frowned visibly, making sure he can see her expression even from afar. ‘You, on the other hand, look like one of those ert-ahjussis who secretly stalk female students. How in the world did you get in here without being stopped by campus security? Your appearance is highly suspicious.’

He threw his head back, and Shin Hye heard his laughter through the line. ‘As usual, you hate my surprise event. Why do I even bother?’ He lifted his left hand, and only then did Shin Hye notice that he was clutching a brown paper bag. ‘I brought lunch. Care to join me for a campus picnic?’

Shin Hye smiled to herself and started walking. ‘Does your manager know about this?’

‘Know about it? He encouraged it,’ Min Ho replied smugly and started walking opposite her, but toward the same direction. He made no attempt to come near her either. ‘He’s now this relationship’s biggest supporter.’

She stopped walking. ‘What relationship?’

‘I mean courtship. Courtship,’ he backtracked.

‘Alright, that’s more like it.’ She continued walking until she reached the end of the building.

‘Where are we going?’ Min Ho asked.

‘Since you insist, I know where we can have that picnic. But you’ll have to settle for somewhere indoors. It’s too hot out here anyway. Do you see that building?’ She pointed to a three-storey structure across the grassy field. ‘At the rightmost corner is a mini-theatre. I’ll talk to Miss Han and get the key. We can probably have it to ourselves for an hour. Sounds good?’

‘Perfect.’

 

Min Ho waited by the door of the mini-theatre, looking down to hide his face whenever anybody passed by. He was still feeling a little sore from his heavy morning workout, but he couldn’t waste this opportunity to see Shin Hye, especially since this was her only free day that coincided with his.

He couldn’t help but feel a tad nostalgic while he was in Chung Ang’s campus, basking in his surroundings. He remembered his own college days, when schedules were less hectic and he could actually go to his classes with ease. Of course back then, his work commitments were few and far between.

And then came that turning point that led him to take several breaks from school, causing him to still be degree-less to this day. Sometimes he wished he could go back to when life was simpler, when he was still studying to be an actor. But what was the point, when he has achieved now what majority of his classmates who have already graduated would never be able to achieve in their lifetime? A degree will just be a formality.

Still, it was nice to just be a student, and he understands well why Shin Hye chose to enroll again.

‘A penny for your thoughts?’

He realized he was playing with his feet, when the familiar sweet voice interrupted his musings. He turned to his side and Shin Hye was already smiling at him widely. She slid the key into the hole and opened the door. Min Ho followed her inside.

There was a small stage in front and around fifteen rows of seats. It looked older than most of the rooms in the campus, but it certainly gave off that artsy theatre vibe.

‘We come and hide here sometimes,’ she spoke. ‘Back when we were still freshmen. Our classmates treated us differently, so we naturally gravitated toward each other. And because we were already celebrities, the school janitor would let us sneak in, in exchange for autographs for his daughter,’ she chuckled.

She sauntered to the stage, and Min Ho followed silently. He imagined a younger Shin Hye spending her days in that empty theatre, probably talking about her dreams and aspirations with her friends.

‘I think I remember Bummie talking about this place,’ he said, still looking around. ‘You must have had fun times here.’

Shin Hye turned back to him and smiled. ‘Yeah, we did.’ She reached for Min Ho’s hand and took it, pulling him up with her. She walked to the middle of the stage and sat down, her feet playfully dangling over the edges.

‘Ha Neul would come up with a drama scenario in his head and start casting us as characters,’ she recounted, tapping the empty space beside her. Min Ho sat down and his eyes turned to the empty seats. ‘He also has dreams of being a screenwriter, you know. So we followed along, and we’d act out some of his stories. Ara would bicker with him when it came to directing; that was her role – devil’s advocate to Ha Neul’s ideas. I think she liked it a little too much, fighting Ha Neul just to get a rouse out of him,’ she laughed. ‘My favorite was that story he came up with about a heavily drug-addicted man who falls in love with the purest, loveliest girl in the world. Of course Bum was the addict, and I was the girl he fell in love with,’ she nudged Min Ho’s arm with her shoulder and gave him a wink. ‘It was actually really interesting.’

‘So what happens in that story?’

Shin Hye shrugged. ‘Who knows. We were just playing around, so Ha Neul never finished it. He probably never felt the need to. But judging from his personality, it would have been a tragic story with a sliver of hope. So it could either end in the drug addict’s death, and the girl moving on to better and brighter things while carrying his memory in her heart, or the girl’s death – causing the drug addict to reform himself and change for the better.’

Min Ho studied her face as she reminisced her early college years. Something about the way she was telling the story sounded sad and pensive.

‘Did you have a hard time as a student?’    

‘Hmm,’ Shin Hye tilted her head as she thought about it. ‘It’s not so much the schoolwork, really. The hardest time for me was when one by one, my friends stopped attending classes to work,’ she looked down, her voice dropping slightly. ‘Bum and So Eun were busy with Boys Over Flowers. Ara was cast as lead actress in the drama with Yoon Kye Sang sunbae. Ha Neul was working on two musicals. We were inseparable for a while, but slowly, our little group became just… me.’ She looked up at Min Ho and sighed. ‘I was young so naturally, I felt left behind and alone. It was hard talking to them after that. I couldn’t even go into this theatre without feeling pathetic. Unlike them, I couldn’t get the parts I wanted. I haven’t worked in a drama in two years, and I thought it was the end of me as an actress. I suffered a bit of a depression back then.’

His heart felt a piercing ache hearing Shin Hye recount such painful memories. Min Ho took her hand and laced his fingers between hers. ‘How come you never told me this before?’

Shin Hye smirked and drummed her fingers on the back of his palm. ‘Maybe because we were too caught up in our whirlwind romance?’

When Min Ho didn’t reply, Shin Hye looked at him thoughtfully. ‘I think… I was afraid of you finding out more about my past and realizing you don’t like the darker sides of me. My insecurities, my fears. I thought you’d start running the opposite direction once you discover I’m not always the bright and happy girl everybody thinks I am.’

He lifted her hand and kissed it. ‘That’s not true. You can tell me every dark thing that happened in your life and I’ll still love every bit of you. Because whatever those experiences are, they made you who you are today. And I love you today. So how can I not love who you were before?’

She gave him a sweet smile. ‘Again. Salesman.’

Min Ho smiled back and started playing with her hand as Shin Hye’s eyes scanned the theatre again.

‘This place hasn’t changed a bit,’ she said.

‘I would’ve wanted to be your classmate. Maybe I should have enrolled here instead of Konkuk,’ he muttered under his breath.

Shin Hye turned to him and probed his eyes with hers. ‘Why are you only showing yourself to me now?’ Min Ho sensed the genuine disappointment in her voice. He would have wanted to see her sooner, but his schedule never permitted it.

He let out a sigh. ‘I’m sorry. That tr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter