Chapter 1

Taken Gift

            “It’s morning already. Wake up, dude,” Sunggyu wakes Woohyun, his roommate up. But Woohyun refuses to listen. He continues his sleep and happily having his sweet dream.

            Sunggyu sighs as Woohyun’s stubbornness pisses him off. He goes out of their room and leads to Myungsoo and Dongwoo’s. Both the visual and the rapper of Infinite sleep in one room, and yes, they are sleepyheads.

            “Wake up, both of you!” Sunggyu yells by the door, “We will be going to Music Bank today! Get ready to practice, you guys!”

            But yes, those sleepyheads are too sleepy to listen to Sunggyu. Sunggyu stomps to The Lees’ room. The triplets are sleeping too. But waking them up is much easier than those before them. Sunggyu turns the door knob and enters the room.

            “You guys! Wake up call!”

            Sungyeol is the first guy to get up suddenly. Then he complains that his blood circulatory is doing unwell due to his abrupt raise of head. Sunggyu mocks him. “It’s your fault, get it!”

            Sungyeol pouts while marches out of the room. Sunggyu goes to Howon’s bed and shakes his shoulders. “Howon, wake up. It is morning and you are in charge of cooking our breakfast.”

            “What the are you telling me? We never make any agreement for that,” Howon snaps, “if you want me to do your chores, forget it.”

            “Yeah, right,” Sunggyu sighs, “it is morning and you know the number 12 is reaching. We need to go to Music Bank this afternoon.”

            “Are you kidding?” Howon opens his eyelids and dilates to Sunggyu, “and you are sitting in here waking me up and telling me such shocking news? The clock needle is reaching 12 you said?”

            Howon hurriedly comes down from his bed and tidies it a bit before he goes out with his bath towel. Sunggyu makes his way to Sungjong’s bed to wake their youngest up.

            “Sungjong, morning already,” he says while shaking Sungjong’s shoulders.

            A few seconds later, Sungjong gets up. With his eyes closed, he asks, “What time is it?”

            “It’s three minutes to 12.”

            “Oh, no wonder,” replies Sungjong.

            “What do you mean?”

            “Howon hyung missed his favourite 8 am morning programme on television.”

            Sunggyu gapes. “Let him be. It’s almost noon so get up now.”

            “Whatever you say,” Sungjong continues as Sunggyu leaves his bed, “I won’t help you waking up another three, hyung.”

            “Shh,” Sunggyu snaps, “I won’t ask you to do so.”

            Sunggyu exits the room. Sungjong rubs his eyes. He opens his eyelids. Blur. He rubs them again. Still blur. Sungjong shakes his head and blinks three times. Well, all those are not helping him. He is at sea. Why is it?

            “I am too sleepy, I guess,” he thinks positively and leads to the bathroom before he witnesses a fight between Howon and Sungyeol. Sungyeol is never stopping from being their choding.

***

They have arrived at Music Bank backstage and greet other idols such as Shinee, Ailee, Girls’ Day and more. They are given a special waiting room for them before they appear on the stage with their amazing suits and dances for Destiny.

            It’s the moment when Sungjong suddenly realises his view become blurry again. He mumbles to himself. “Oh, just what happened?”

            “You okay, Sungjong?” his roommate, Sungyeol approaches him as he sees Sungjong keeps on massaging his temple.

            “I’m all right,” Sungjong pretends to be okay from his outlook, “do you think that I am sick?”

            “Never,” Sungyeol gives quick reply, “you never fall sick because you have the most antibodies among us, don’t you know?”

            “I am? Oh, thanks.”

            “Uh, it’s a waste spending my precious time on you, Sungjong,” Sungyeol squints, “Still if you feel unwell, do meet me. I am always for you.”

            Sungyeol is about to leave Sungjong confronting the mirror alone when he feels someone grabs his right wrist. He turns.

            “Hyung, I am feeling sick,” complains Sungjong.

***

            “Tell me, what do you feel?”

            Sungjong does not like the way s pamper him. He is treated like he is just seven and the others are twenty. “Hyung,” he tries to cut them off, “I just feel a bit sick, and you are this worry?”

            “Sungjong,” Woohyun grabs his right shoulders, “you are our maknae, so we must take care of you. We don’t want you to be unhealthy.”

            “Just don’t be shy,” Sunggyu draws to Sungjong nearer, “which part of your body is not doing well?”

            “I just feel a bit dizzy. That’s all.”

            The members look each other. “You get some rest. Let us do the performance. You stay here and don’t ever think of running away.”

            “This is Music Bank not Sesame Player,” seems like the choding has always been a choding.

            “I know, hyung,” Sungjong smiles a bit.

            “Yes, that’s my love,” Myungsoo hugs Sungjong before they leave him to do stage performance.

***

From inside the waiting room, Sungjong is able to hear the cries and cheers of Inspirits, Infinite’s fans. They are so zesty, spirited and gay. Sungjong always hopes that he can meet them all once for each person, at least. He hopes that he is able to do so. He really hopes so.

            Sungjong watches s’ performance on the screen in the room. He is jealous of them. He wants to dance and sing for Destiny too. He likes the songs. He likes the choreography. Although he never faces the situation sung in the song, he feels alive each time he listens to Destiny. Destiny is his destiny.

            Right after six-members-Infinite finishes their show, the Music Bank MC approaches them and, they have been thinking the same topic since the moment they appeared on the stage; where has the guy called Sungjong been?

            “He needs some rest. Overwork himself, that’s it. I have never been this tired still I am standing on this stage but our maknae not. Just pray for his healthiness,” Sunggyu replies on Sungjong’s behalf.

            “Inspirits, just don’t feel so sad. He is with us, now. I mean it,” Dongwoo adds.

            Sungjong chuckles to see Sungyeol and Myungsoo do a small wrestling match behind Hoya who is standing beside Dongwoo on the screen. Then, he notices that a cameraman is coming into the room, the one he is in at the moment. The cameraman then records his face.

            Although curious, he greets the cameraman as someone who he needs to respect to.

            “See? He is with us. Although he is not feeling well, he still feels respect to elders. That’s one of the reasons why we love him,” Sunggyu cheers the fans.

            Sungjong is shocked. He immediately looks the screen. His face is on the screen, and it’s so real. He pokes his cheek and so his self on the screen. He then, realises that his deed is recorded by the cameraman who is with him.

            The fans are half yelling at the moment they saw Sungjong on the big screen near the main stage. Sungjong hears Sunggyu’s command, “Sungjong, please give some speech.”

            Sungjong gives out his laugh before he follows, “good afternoon, Inspirits out there! Sorry for not appear before you guys but I will next week. Wait for me and keep on supporting Infinite!”

            His short speech makes the fans cheer loudly. Infinite on the stage wave the fans as soon as Sungjong does the same. Finally, they come out from the stage and get ready to go home.