Chapter 2

Taken Gift

They chat happily on their way home. Sungjong chats and smiles like he usually does. No one suspects anything. He does not mention once about his curiosity of his eyes. Why they always get blur?

            “I sleep now,” Sungjong lands on his bed as his roommates and he enter their bedroom.

            Sungyeol does not have the chances to ask him when he hears Sungjong’s soft snores. He does not have the heart to wake Sungjong up so he goes to sleep too.

***

Sunggyu does his routine; waking up Infinite members. He does not want to wake Sungjong up because he knows that maknae won’t help him waking the visual and rapper up. Howon is commanded to do the chore.

            Howon climbs the bed stairs by Sungjong’s bed and pokes Sungjong’s cheek. “Sungjong, it is morning already.”

            “Hmm,” Sungjong groans, “just tell me that it’s 12 already.”

            “I told you the truth. It’s morning.”

            “What time is it?”

            “8 am.”

            Sungjong inhales. “Yeah, it’s morning.”

            “Wake up, dongsaeng. We are not going anywhere, as far as I know, but hope we are really not.”

            Sungjong blinks for several times. “Is it… Howon hyung?”

            “Yes I am. Can’t you see me?”

            Sungjong rubs his eyes. He looks affront again, “hyung, you…” he caresses Howon’s face and ruffles Howon’s front hair, “have you took your shower?”

            “I will right after ensuring you up already,” Howon pushes Sungjong’s hand from his head.

            But Sungjong suddenly grabs his shirt. Howon is shocked. “Why?”

            “Hyung, don’t go yet.”

            Howon frowns. “Sungjong, are you…” he is curious with Sungjong’s ability to see, “…okay?”

            Sungjong stops tugging Howon’s shirt. He releases him and pretends nothing happens. “I’m absolutely okay. Don’t worry of me.”

            “You are not, are you? I smell something fishy.”

            “Haha,” Sungjong gives a sarcastic laugh, “What you talk about. Let’s go out.”

            Howon follows Sungjong. Deep in his heart, he is craving for Sungjong’s explanation. He is having a sort of problem, I bet, he monologues.

***

“To the left, right two steps, a little bit more…”

            Infinite is practising their choreography as preparation for their worldwide tour. They will be going to Malaysia soon, so they are practising for the concert. They are sure Malaysian Inspirits must be waiting for their best performances.

            While they are dancing The Chaser, and when they reach the part where Sungjong is in the middle of them, something happens. Sungjong cannot dance his part properly. Doesn’t The Chaser is his favourite in Infinitize album?

            “Sungjong, why don’t you step to your left? Don’t you memorise the dance?” Sunggyu seems to get mad at him.

            “Be patient, hyung,” Dongwoo tries to relax the situation.

            Howon doesn’t say anything. He is watching Sungjong from afar. He is so sure that Sungjong is keeping something from them.

            They continue dancing, leaving Sungjong’s part incorrect. They believe Sungjong will learn his mistake and he shall correct it himself. Furthermore, Sungjong is just recovering from his dizziness. May be he is still at sea.

            “Do it slowly. Don’t force yourself,” advices Myungsoo with Sungyeol beside him nodding to agree him.

            “Thank you, hyung. I appreciate it. Still, I am sorry for keep on making mistakes. It’s my fault, totally,” Sungjong bows.

            “It’s okay. We understand,” Woohyun pats Sungjong’s left shoulders. “We won’t mad at you.”

            Sungjong shows his precious smile. They continue their practice. Howon keeps on watching Sungjong without anyone notices. He realises Sungjong always shakes his head, may be as his effort to get rid of dizziness, that’s if he is having it. He really wishes to meet Sungjong personally and forces him to tell the truth.

            Luckily, Sungjong maintains until their practice ends. They head home and Sungjong is sitting beside Woohyun at the hind seats in their MPV. Woohyun is busy babbling with the others as he suddenly feels something lands on his shoulder. It is Sungjong and he is sleeping. His calm expression lures Woohyun to stop talking rubbish among them. He lets Sungjong rests on his shoulder and not even moves a bit. He does not want to disturb Sungjong’s sleep and just chuckles when he hears some funny things mentioned by the others.

            While he stiffens himself, he feels his hand is pulled by someone. Again, it’s Sungjong and looks like he is frowning. He gets himself nearer to Woohyun and whispers, “Howon hyung, please keep what you have seen happened onto me just now as a secret.”

            Woohyun is petrified. What? Something happened to Sungjong? But why no one knows? Sungjong mentioned Howon’s name, so Howon shall know what the rubbish he was talking in his sleep. He must meet Howon!