Death in the Afternoon

Death in the Afternoon

Kris

 

The sound of the pouring rain tapping on my window made me look at the clock. It’s already five past two. I gathered the papers I am working on piling it up in a folder. I removed my tie and rolled up the sleeves of my polo up to my elbows before I left my office.

The busy kitchen filled with workers welcomed me. Yes, the way to my office is through the kitchen. Why? Well, I happen to own this cafe house. Each of them greeted me as I nod back making my way out.

The cafe house is quite full today. The waiters are having trips back and forth the counter to serve the eager customers.

“Are there any vacant tables?” I asked the surprised cashier.

“Oh, yes Sir Kris. We have two vacant ones. The first is near the doorway while the other is near the large window pane over the corner. Would you want to reserve one?” he looked at me.

“I’ll take the one near the large window pane,” I replied going on to the table.

            This time is so perfect to relax. The buzz among the customers, the clatter of the plates and utensils, the footsteps of the workers and the tapping of the rain on the window pane makes a harmonious sound in my ears.

“Here’s your usual sir,” the waiter interrupted my thoughts. Just as always, a slice of my favorite tiramisu with my favorite coffee latte. I gave a nod of thanks as the waiter bowed his head away. I reached for the platter, looking down at the piece of dessert wondering why I feel so empty.

            The chill of the cold rain suddenly reached me when I heard the door got opened. A lady walked inside, looking like she is in tears. She wiped her eyes as she looks around for vacancy. The other vacant table was occupied already. She looked my way, caught me looking at her. Then she made quick steps towards me. I was confused so I turned around to check the table behind me but there are students sitting on it. When I turned around, she is already sitting opposite me.

            I was speechless for a moment, not sure on how should I react. I tried to look at her in the face but she had her hands on her face. Her sobs echoed inside the coffee house making the other customers look our way. I gave an apologetic smile, trying to think of a way to make her stop this embarrassing scenario.

“Are you okay miss?” I asked.

She sniffed a couple of times before wiping her face with her bare hands. She took a deep breath and looked down.

“I don’t understand them,” she started.

I raised a brow at her, “What do you mean?” I asked trying to be act like an old friend.

“It’s not the likes of them before to insist what they want for me. Where’s the freedom in there? They should have settled that freaking engagement way ahead when I was still a little girl so I wouldn’t have the problem to deal with it today,” she stopped and wiped the spilled tears on her face.

“They might think it’s the right thing for your own good,” I tried to console her although I am clueless of whatever she is talking about.

“For my own good? Are you kidding me? They are planning this for the company’s future, not for mine. I don’t want to be stuck on a marriage where I would be the one to suffer. It’s completely absurd. I really don’t understand them,” she sobbed.

I reached for my handkerchief and handed it to her. She accepted it and wiped her tears before she blew her nose. “I’m sorry,” she apologized “It’s quite rude to do that you know,” she added.

“It’s okay,” I smiled.

 

She suddenly pulls the platter from me and starts eating. My jaw literally dropped at her actions.

“You know what? I find it ridiculous why would parents risk their children in place of fortune. I mean why don’t they just marry those people so they can have what they want not bait their children for it. It’s like being sold for a price, not getting married for love’s sake,” she looked me.

“Pardon me, but I never experienced that,” I replied.

“Really? Man! You’re one lucky guy!” and continues eating.

I actually find it rude that she just grabbed my afternoon dessert but I just found myself smiling. She is beautiful with wavy brown hair framing her face. If you would observe her high cheekbones, she might be a happy girl. Her eyes were brown, deep, and lovely. She looked outside the window, looking so lost. Just then, another tear rolled down her face.

While she is scraping the last bite on the platter, she continued sobbing. Somehow, it pierced my heart to hear her sob again.

I suddenly had the urge to touch her, to hug her and whisper soothing words just to make her stop. I involuntarily reached for a spilled tear on her face. She gave a sad smile, “I’m sorry,” she apologized again.

“It’s okay. You look like you need someone to talk to,” I replied.

 

After a few moments of silence, she gathered her things and stood up.

“I guess the rain had stopped now, thank you for the company mister?” she looked at me.

“Kris,” I replied before she bowed her head and left.

I watched her leave when something struck my mind, ‘Oh crap! I forgot to ask for her name,’ I thought.

 

 

Sooyoung

 

I barged inside this café house not sure of what would I be doing there since I ran away from home after hearing that terrible news. I would have bore with it if I had known it for a long time, but it was sudden.

When I got inside, I tried to look for any vacant table but they were all occupied. I spotted a lonely guy on a table near the large window pane. Possible company that probably would not mind my rambling. Besides I already have this habit of talking to strangers to let out all of my miseries in life but never leave my name so as not to embarrass myself. I felt a tear roll down my face. I looked at him and noticed him looking at me. I made my way to his table. Funny to think that he turned around to check the table behind him. I slipped myself on the opposite chair in front of him.

Once settled in, I cried my heart out. I don’t care if people would look our way. I just need to let this out. I just need to spill all the heartaches I feel towards my unjust parents who don’t understand my wish to be married to someone I love.

“Are you okay miss?” I heard him ask me.

I sniffed a couple of times before wiping my face with my bare hands. In my rush, I even forgot to bring my hanky. I took a deep breath and looked down.

“I don’t understand them,” I started.

“What do you mean?” he asked again.

“It’s not the likes of them before to insist what they want for me. Where’s the freedom in there? They should have settled that freaking engagement way ahead when I was still a little girl so I wouldn’t have the problem to deal with it today,” I stopped and wiped another spilled tear on my face.

“They might think it’s the right thing for your own good,” he tried to console me.

 “For my own good? Are you kidding me? They are planning this for the company’s future, not for mine. I don’t want to be stuck on a marriage where I would be the one to suffer. It’s completely absurd. I really don’t understand them,” I sobbed again looking at him.

He handed me his handkerchief. I reached for it to wipe the tears before I blew my nose. “I’m sorry,” I apologized. “It’s quite rude to do that you know,” I added.

“It’s okay,” he smiled.

 

I suddenly felt hungry so I rudely pulled his platter away from him and started eating the dessert as if it’s for me. I might get jailed for eating his platter of tiramisu but I don’t care. I am damn hungry since I had been wandering the whole morning trying to console my broken heart.

“You know what? I find it ridiculous why would parents risk their children in place of fortune. I mean why don’t they just marry those people so they can have what they want and not bait their children for it. It’s like being sold for a price, not getting married for love’s sake,” I looked at him.

“Pardon me, but I never experienced that,” he replied.

“Really? Man! You’re one lucky guy!” and I continued eating.

 

 I looked outside the window to check the rain. I suddenly felt another tear roll down my eyes.

I continued sobbing while scraping the last bite on the platter.

He probably thought that I am crazy or anything but I guess this is what happens to you when you felt injustice. What a cruel world.

I suddenly felt him reach to wipe a tear off my face. I gave a sad smile, “I’m sorry,” I apologized again.

“It’s okay. You look like you need someone to talk to,” he replied.

 

Somehow, I find him attractive. His dirty blond hair seems ruffled with those perfect brows. He looks tall from the way he sits and I am sure of it. His eyes were beautiful with that dreamy look on it. His small lips complete the look. The girl he will choose will be so lucky. I wonder why he doesn’t have any girlfriend.

 

After a few moments of silence, I gathered my things since the rain had stopped. No matter what, I still need to face my parents for running away.

“I guess the rain had stopped now, thank you for the company mister?” I looked at him for an answer.

“Kris,” he replied with that y voice and heart melting smile. ‘The girl in me’ I thought after hearing his voice. I bowed my head and left.

Mission accomplished: don’t leave your name to strangers.

 

When I got home, I was not surprised to see my mother on the living room with a pissed off look.

“Where have you been?” she asked. I went up to her to kiss her but she motioned me to stop.

“I asked you, where you have been.” She looked at me.

“I just had a walk outside,” I tried to sound convincing despite the tremble of my hands. My mother always had that effect on me.

“Give me your phone,” she laid out her hand.

“But Mom!”

“Now.”

“Why do you have to do this?”

“Choi Sooyoung, I don’t have time to bargain with you, hand over your phone,” she glared at me.

I sighed and fished for my phone on my bag before handing it to her.

“You are not to leave your room today. You shall attend the dinner later with your fiancé and his family. I don’t want you displaying any rude behaviors or such. Is that understood Sooyoung?”

The authoritative tone on her voice made me nod as I dragged myself up to my room.

So much for being a princess.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Kris

 

 

“Sir, I had already reserved the table for you. Would you want me to take your papers there?” my secretary asked as I stood up from my chair.

“Kindly please,” I replied and went to the restroom to wash my face.

It’s kind of tiring just sitting in the office for the whole day. I may be just sitting here but I am also monitoring all the branches of the café house. Successful eh? But still loveless. Call me bitter but I am the type who waits for the right person no matter how right the time can be.

I wonder if that same girl will come back today.

I wiped off the water on my face and went outside to the same table I had yesterday to continue my work.

I asked for water so I can focus more.

 

“Can I disturb you for a moment?”

I looked up to see the same girl yesterday. I gave a nod as I gathered the scattered papers on the table.

“Would you want something?” I offered.

“Can I have the same dessert yesterday? With iced tea?” she looked at me, as if asking for permission.

I called for a waiter and gave him her order.

 

There was silence as she looked outside. She had her hair in a bun.

“Ballet class?” I asked to break the awkward silence.

“How did you know?” she looked at me with surprise.

“From the way you pull your hair and your top,” I pointed over her dress.

“Oh, I barely had the chance to change. I don’t want my so-called fiancé to pick me up,” she rolled her eyes.

“That might be the start for the two of you, why waste it?”

“He might be handsome and all, but he is not definitely my type. He is just like all those guys who sacrifice themselves for their parents. I mean, don’t they have any courage to fight for what they feel or for their rights to choose whom they would like to marry?” she looked at me after her sudden outburst. So much for her speech about rights.

The waiter came just in time to give her orders

 

Without any further ado, she started eating her order. She keeps on whispering words I can’t comprehend but looks more like curses. I felt a smile tug on my lips as I watch her eat. She looks so adorable despite that manner. She drank the iced tea in one gulp and burped afterwards. “So unladylike,” I chuckled.

“Don’t start your manner lessons on me mister like my mother,” she rolled her eyes.

“Don’t worry, I actually find it cute,” I smiled at her.

I saw a faint blush spread on her cheeks as she looked away.

“Would you want to go out sometimes?” I asked.

Wait, where did that came from? Did I just ask her out?

I am getting desperate in here already that I am asking a soon to be officially engaged woman, but hey, it’s not that bad to ask her out for a friendly date right?

 

Well, she agreed on my proposal and just like that, everyday she would drop by at the café.

Together, we would talk for hours until it’s time for her to leave.

At first, I was fine to see her off, but as our hang outs became more frequent to almost every day, I find it hard to see her go home. I suddenly developed this feeling of just wishing on having her with me.

 

One time I even closed the shop earlier so I can teach her to make tiramisu which she had grown to like. We had spent the whole afternoon enjoying the moment together. That was one of the countless moments where I want to just freeze the time so I can be with her forever.

 

“You’re spacing out again,” she waved her hand in front of me.

I broke into a smile, “I’m sorry.”

Today is our 100th day together. Just for the sake of the so-called tradition, I decided to bring her uphill this afternoon to wind out a bit from the stressful life in the city.

“I really can’t believe we made it this far,” she sighed as she leans on the car.

“Looks like I’m much more like your fiancé than that guy,” I chuckled.

I felt her hold my hand as the sudden jolt ran up my spine from the contact.

“I’m blessed to have you. I guess that afternoon was really meant to happen,” she said.

We stayed like that until the sun finally settled down.

“Wanna go out for dinner tonight?” I asked her.

“I have to be home earlier, nevertheless I enjoyed your company even though we were just staring out the empty space,” she chuckled.

 

I drove her back to the café before we took a moment to wait for a cab. I can’t send her home because her parents might get the wrong perception and ground her till her wedding day. We waited in silence as she keeps on looking out for a cab.

“Youngie,” I called her attention.

She turned to look at me. “Ne?”

That very face looking back at me hitched my breath. Just how can I possibly survive without this girl?

This is the perfect girl I am looking for but is the time perfect?

I hope so.

 

“Kris? Are you okay?” she waved her hand in front of me.

“I’m sorry I spaced out,” I apologized, shaking my head.

“You want to say something?”

I took a deep breath, slowly reaching for her hand, looking directly to her eyes.

“I know it might sound absurd but, I think…”

Her round brown orbs were so expectant.

“I think I love you…”

 

 

Sooyoung

 

My mind had been in a whirl since that afternoon. Since then, I felt scared to get back on the café despite that biting feeling of missing him for no reason at all.

I was so rude and completely stupid to just leave him after his confession.

 

(Flashback)

 

“I think I love you…”

 

He looks so sincere that I almost had the urge to kiss him and say ‘take me away from this nightmare,’ but I did not. I just stood there like a complete idiot without even bothering to answer him.

“Youngie?” he looked at me, whispering that very endearment he made for me.

I avoided his eyes just in time a cab to stop in front of us.

Without even turning back, I let the driver drive me home, completely leaving him.

 

(End of Flashback)

 

I was surprised and at the same time felt scared when he let go of that very statement. I never meant for it to reach to that point, I mean I never meant for our friendship to reach such level of intimacy. I made myself clear that I am soon to be married but why still confess? I am not blaming him but I just don’t want him to be heartbroken in the end.

 

And why do these goddamn eyes won’t stop crying?

Tears rolled down as I tried to suppress the sudden ache building inside my chest making me breathless. I don’t understand why do feel like this. I saw his handkerchief on my side table, bringing back memories making my bleeding heart bleed even more.

Crazy at it may seem but…

I think I love him too…

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

“Sooyoung, would you want to grab some drink? I know a place somewhere near,” Taehwan my fiancé, asked me as we head back home. He picked me up from my ballet class. Just as what I had told you, I never went back to the café house since that night.

“Sure,” I replied weakly, looking out the window.

 

My parents rushed things that we will soon be married a month from now.  The very thought of getting married makes me want to cry. I want to run away and leave Taehwan and be with the one I love. To run away with my Kris.

But I can’t. Things got complicated making it hard for me to just cut the engagement. It turns out that my parents had loaned a large sum of money and it was Taehwan’s family who helped them pay up the debt. So I guess you can picture that I am the prize for my parent’s gratitude over the Park family. The very place where I don’t want to end up is where I end up.

 

“We’re here!” Taehwan parked the car. I looked out and almost choked out when I saw the same café I had been avoiding to go to.

“Taehwan-sshi, can we go somewhere else?” I asked as he unbuckled my seatbelt.

“Why? This is the best café house in here. Come on! I’m sure you will like their tiramisu in here. It’s what I always order when I come in here,” he smiled at me.

I was left with no choice but to oblige as the faithful wife-to-be.

 

Together, we went inside. He held me by the waist as we walked to the counter to get our orders. The waiters and the cashier who had known me greeted me which made my fiancé look at me in surprise.

“They know you?” he asked looking at me.

I faked a smile, “Yeah, I am a daily customer here before,” I replied trying not to make any eye contact with any of the staff.

“Would you want to wait for your order as we wrap it for the go?” the cashier asked as Taehwan handed him his credit card.

“Yes please, any vacant table?”

“Yes, we do have one. The one near the large window pane over there sir,” the cashier pointed out. Taehwan thanked him and together we went over that very memorable and familiar table.

 

I tried to look around for him but he was nowhere in sight. I don’t know if I should be grateful or not when I didn’t spot him.

When our order came up, Taehwan stood up as I slowly followed him to get it so we can leave when I saw him getting inside the café house.

My heart stopped beating when our eyes met. Longing starts to grip my heart the moment I saw the very same face that had been haunting me. He stopped by the door as my fiancé held my hand and pulled me out.

That very brief moment I passed by him almost made me grab him and just run away with him but I was helpless. I just heard him whisper his endearment, “Youngie…” which was full of emotions I can barely comprehend.

 

When he had already sent me home, I locked myself up on my room and poured my heart out.

 

The ache in my heart for missing him.

 

The tight grip of longing in my heart.

 

That very whisper that made my heart stop.

 

That very person who made my heart bleed.

 

But was it him in the first place or just me? Was it him who left me hanging or was it me? Was it him who foolishly left in a cab after hearing a confession or was it me? Was it him who made himself fall in love with me or was it me? And was it only him who broke his heart or was it just only me who broke it?

 

Just why would this cruel world put up such drama in my  life? Can’t I just have him?

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

Third Person POV

 

It has been almost two months since that very night they finally parted ways for no reason at all. Kris had been blaming himself for confessing while Sooyoung had been blaming herself for leaving him without even answering. Maybe if she had stayed, things would have changed.

 

Kris tried to make himself busy with work and decided to put his office on one of the branch but occasionally finds himself going back in there hoping to see her again. No matter how hard he try not to think of her, the very sight of the dessert tiramisu would always pierce his heart the same moment memories would flood back to his head.

 

Sooyoung on the other hand, busied herself with the wedding preparations. In a day or two, she would be officially Mrs. Park Sooyoung. The wedding gowns, invitations, reception options and many more flooded her mind for the past month but whenever she goes to her room to finally have a sleep after a tiring day, she would find herself crying for the same reason.

 

I was one of those normal days when Kris decided to work as the cashier of the main branch of the café just to let the time pass. So much for thinking of her, but the moment he went inside the café, the same pain would make its way to his heart. He tried to suppress the tears and made himself busy by serving the customers.

 

As it was nearing to four in the afternoon the rain suddenly poured down. The café soon got full that made him take some rest.

“I’ll have to go, just keep up the good work,” he said as he leaves the cashier seat to his employee.

He grabbed the umbrella by the sink and waved at his employees before leaving the café. It may sound ridiculous but the very sight of the pouring rain made him shed a tear. He took careful steps listening to the heavy rain beat up his umbrella. He didn’t anticipate the rain so he didn’t bring his car.

 

But if he did, he would never have the chance to see the very face he dreamed to see again.

 

As he stood near the road for a cab, he noticed a hazy figure walking by the road. He tried to ignore it but his curiosity won as he watched it come closer to clarity. It was a girl, but her umbrella was down, covering her face. When it was already a few feet away, it raised hers and came face to face with him.

 

Both were rooted to where they are, emotions swirling both inside them. It was him who finally gave in. He let’s go of his umbrella and ran up to remove hers before enclosing her in a tight hug. Warm tears from his eyes rolled down his face with the falling rain. He did not felt her hot tears since the rain washed it away from her face.

 

They stayed like that, not minding the cold rain.

 

Amidst the heavy rain, he immediately cupped her face and kissed her like there’s no more tomorrow. He felt her return the kiss making the desire and the longing just flow between them. When they parted, the rain soon turned to shower of drizzles.

 

They are already drenched wet but the coldness is nothing compared to the warmth that emanates from both of them. He traced the very face he wants to see that almost made him go insane. Her cheeks, her jaw line, her nose down to her lips. The longing and desire is evident on both of them as she tries not to cry.

 

A smile got tugged on her lips when he reached for a spilled tear from his face.

“Why are you crying?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied, “Maybe because I miss you Youngie,” he added.

“Where have you been all this time?” he locked her again in his arms despite their wet clothes. She snuggled in his arms.

“Did they force you on another engagement?” he tried to bring in humor.

She gave a light chuckle, “Nope,” she replied.

 

They stayed like that for a little longer not minding the people pouring out the café house giving them weird looks. She slowly parted even though he feels like he doesn’t want to.

“Run away with me,” he offered, “I’ll take you away from your parents. We will live happily just as you want. Please, just say yes and run away with me,” he sounded desperate.

She gave a sad smile, “I can’t”

“Why? I can give you everything, just please stay with me. I can’t live without you,” he tried again, warm tears spilling from his eyes making her shed a tear too.

“Then I guess we need to try living without each other now,” she reached to finally hold the face of the man she wants to be with but can’t possibly be with in reality.

“Youngie, why do you have to be like this?”

“It’s complicated Kris. No matter how much I try to protest and beg, fate had already made it for me to marry him,” she tiptoed and kissed his forehead.

“Do you love me?” he asked all of the sudden.

“With all my heart. But some things are not just meant to be,” she said, looking straight to his eyes.

 

He suddenly felt something cold from her hand. He slowly reached for it the same time fears started to crawl in.

He was not wrong.

On her left ring finger is a silver band, officially declaring that she is taken for real.

 

She reached for her pocket and handed her a velvet card that surprisingly did not get wet from the rain. She handed it to her together with his handkerchief which he gave her the first day they met. She moved to give him one last kiss despite the breaking of her heart from the thought of not seeing him again for real. She picked up her umbrella and walked past him, leaving him stunned and unmoved for moments.

 

When reality kicked in, he looked down the card and flipped it open.

 

“… cordially invited to witness the exchange of vows… Miss Choi Sooyoung and Park Taehwan… Imperial Hotel... 25th of October…”

 

That was all he needs to read as the rain came down harder this time. ‘Tomorrow’ he thought making him breathless. He felt the crash of his world as his heart literally stopped beating. He left himself get devoid of emotions the moment his heart skip a beat. The coldness starts to nip his body, almost making him tremble.

He emotionally died that afternoon.

Because the moment she walked past her, she took with her all the feelings within him, killing him.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N note: i did not involved any violent killing scenes as what the title suggests. i toned it down a bit low, so he basically died inside.