Our Little Secret

We're the Ones You Were Warned About

Minhee's POV

"Earth to Minhee."

Someone started snapping in front of my face. I snapped out of whatever zone I was in and turned to see Eunmi, looking at me with a worried expression. 

"Are you still thinking about him?" She asked.

I blinked a couple of times. "Who?" I asked, even if I knew who she was talking about.

"L.Joe," she stated.

I scrunched up my nose at his name and said, "why would I be thinking about him?" I started fiddling with my phone charm. 

Truth was though, I was thinking about L.Joe. Ever since that night, he somehow always crept back into my mind. I wondered how he was doing. If he made it home safely and if he was treating his wounds right. I don't know why, but I was just worried. He disappeared that morning without a word. What if something happened to him while he was heading home? What if Infinite found him? He was in no condition to fight, so they would have surely finished him if they have.

Again, I heard some snapping sounds and looked up at Eunmi. "You are such a liar," she stated.

"I wasn't thinking about him," I said.

She clicked her tongue and shook her head. "Best friends don't lie to each other."

"I'm not lying. I was just--"

Just then the bell rang for first period and everyone started gathering into their seats. Again, the seat to my left was empty when Jung seonsaengnim entered the classroom with Changjo following soon after.

"You're late again, Jonghyun," Seonsaengmin said.

"C'mon, can't we just look past this for today?" Changjo strode over to his seat and sat down.

"I'm afraid not if you really want to graduate on time," Jung seonsaengnim said. "Detention."

Changjo let out an irritated sigh that was probably audible to the whole class.

After Jung seonsaengnim took attendance, he ordered for us to take out our literature books. "Turn to page 156, everyone. We'll be going over a short story today."

As I turned the pages of my book, I heard someone whisper my name. I looked up and saw Eunmi holding up a small piece of folded paper. She looked over to Jung seonsaengnim who had his back facing us and then looked back at me. She tried to throw the small stationery across to me, but fell a bit short in the middle of the aisle.

I looked up to see Jung seonsaengnim still writing something on the board and then crouched down to retrieve Eunmi's note, mentally cursing at her false judgement of distance. I almost had it when someone moved their foot on top of it. I directed my gaze from their foot and looked up to see that it was Changjo. He had his arms crossed and was looking forward, as if he was paying attention to the teacher, but I knew he wasn't.

I was about to whisper his name when he glanced down at me and smirked a bit. He bent down next to me. "Didn't anyone tell you there's no note passing around the classroom?" He whispered.

My face grew hot from embarrassment. Although he was one to talk about 'what not to do in a classroom'. 

I didn't know what to say so I ended up stuttering. "I, uhm... I--"

He removed his foot that was covering Eunmi's note and retrieved it for himself. I sat upright, my face growing beet red as I watched him open up the note, hoping she didn't write anything embarrassing.

He let out a small chuckle and then folded the note back up.

I glanced towards Eunmi who quickly turned forward in her seat, looking a bit distressed as she started nibbling at her thumb's nail. This can't be good... 

"I believe this note belongs to you?" Changjo stretched his arm out, handing me the folded paper. I reached out for it and grabbed it quickly, hoping he won't notice how bad my hands were shaking. "Oh, and don't worry about him alright?" He leaned closer, his smirk only growing. "He's a big boy, he knows how to take care of himself."

I stared at him incredulously, my mind not knowing how to respond. It was only when Jung seonsaengnim's voice rang through the classroom that I was brought back to my senses.

"Jonghyun! Minhee! Is there something you two want to share with us?" Jung seonsaengnim asked, eyeing us both.

"No, sir." We both answered with Changjo in a bored tone and I stuttering. 

"Since this is your first offense, Minhee, I'll leave you with a warning. But you, Jonghyun, I won't hesitate to give you another detention day. Understand?"

"Yes, sir." We chorused, again. 

I slouched down in my seat, glancing down at the folded paper that got me my first offense. When Jung seonsaengnim went back to writing something on the board, I started unfolding the paper, cautiously shading my face away as I read Eunmi's note:

Just forget about L.Joe, ohk?
You shouldn't stress over him.

Letting out a small dreaded sigh, I crumbled the paper in one hand, wanting to disappear from the world right now. Now he must think I like L.Joe. Oh god. Heat flooded back to my cheeks as I tried my best to conceal it from Changjo, in case he was watching my reaction.

I wasn't able to focus on most of my lessons for the rest of the day. My mind always crept back to what was written in Eunmi's note and Changjo's "reassurance" afterwards. What if he tells L.Joe about this? Oh my god, my life is ruined.

When the last bell rang for the ending of the day, I took my time packing up. I didn't even notice that everyone had left the classroom—even Jung seonsaengnim left before I got a chance to stand up and put on my school bag—except for one other student. I looked to my left and saw that Changjo was sleeping soundly at his desk, also noticing a detention to-do list written out on the whiteboard for Jonghyun when he wakes up.

Not wanting to be here when he does, I quickly hurried out of class but not quick enough. As soon as I stepped over the threshold, I was met face-to-face (or rather, face-to-chest since they were taller than me) with Niel and Ricky. They must be here to fetch Changjo. What if he tells them too? Ahh, what to do?

Hesitantly, I bowed my head and stepped aside, leaning against the side of the door when Niel and Ricky stepped inside the classroom. I'm supposed to be walking home with Eunmi right now, but I gotta know if Changjo's gonna spill about what happened this morning.

"Ya!" Yelled Ricky, followed by a loud bang. He probably hit Changjo's desk or something. "Get your lazy up." Hearing a groan, I'd conclude that Changjo woke up but unpleasantly.

This time Niel spoke, "you got detention again?" Another groan was heard, from Changjo, as he cursed. "Yeah, man. Complete bull." I heard his chair scrape against the tile. 

"I think he's aiming for most detention slips in one semester," Ricky joked. Niel laughed and I heard them high five.

"And would you like to get an award for two black eyes in two days 'cause I can make that happen," Changjo retorted.

"Calm down there, big boy. Just hurry and clean your damn classroom so we can leave already, aiight?"

"L.Joe also said to bring some food over to C.A.P's place," Niel added. 

Ricky snorted. "Do we look like ing food delivery to him?"

I heard Changjo start to erase the board as he spoke up. "Oh yeah, speaking of L.Joe hyung," he let out a small cackle before continuing. I leaned closer to the edge of the door, trying to strain my ears. He's gonna tell, I know he's gonna tell... Please, don't tell. "Look, here." I raised a brow. What is he showing them? Does he have my note?

I unconsciously reached into my uniform pocket, grazing my fingers over the note. No, I have it. So what is it? Did he take a picture of it? I didn't even see him take his phone out. I edged to the edge of the door, trying to peer inside but Changjo's back was facing me. Inwardly groaning to myself, I leaned back against the wall. What the hell is he showing them?!

I was so engrossed with questions that I didn't even take notice of the shuffle of footsteps coming towards the door. In a panic, I turned my body, about to make a run for it, but it was too late. Niel walked out, followed by Ricky—both stopping in their tracks when they noticed me by the door.

I opened my mouth to say something but nothing came out. But they didn't even stop to question me. They just continued walking down the hall, not giving me a care in the world.

I sighed in relief. Even if they knew I was eavesdropping, I'm still glad they didn't ask any questions. But I spoke too soon. 

Before I could even take a step, Changjo walked out of the classroom. And he looked more interested in asking some questions.

"May I help you with something?" The corner of his lips twitched upwards and I began to dislike that smug look on his face.

"No, I was just..." My voice trailed off as I diverted my eyes across the hallway, trying to think up an excuse. "... Looking for someone."

"Ah, really?" He nodded. "Well maybe you'll be able to find them better if you looked with your eyes and not your ears." He shrugged a shoulder. "Just a suggestion, though."

My jaw dropped slightly at his words as I tried to think of a comeback, but I had nothing. He was right. And I really disliked that.

 

Changjo's POV

I laughed quite more loudly than I intended to, but teasing this girl was a lot more fun than I had imagined. "Minhee, right?" I asked. She nodded. "Was there something you wanted to know?" She shook her head no. I stuffed my hands into my pockets and stepped closer. "You sure? You can ask me, you know."

She started stuttering, "I— uhm, I..."

I let out another small chuckle as I eased towards her, bending down a bit to meet her eyes. "What was that?"

She blinked a couple of times before answering, "Did you, uhh... Happen to," she fiddled with the hem of her skirt as she looked away, "tell t-them?"

I knew it. She likes L.Joe and was scared that I told them about that note. Naive. The corner of my lips turnt up in satisfaction. I could easily tell her the truth, but it was pretty fun watching her squirm. "Tell who what?"

She bit the bottom of her lip, still fiddling with her uniform. "Niel," she muttered, "and Ricky. About... you know..."

I shook my head, trying my best to hide my grin. "No, I don't know."

"About that note you read earlier," her voice grew harder, obviously irritated with my games. It only made me want to play with her more.

"Ah, that," I nodded in understanding before quirking a brow. "Why? Did you want me t—"

"No!" She snapped, taking a breath to calm herself. "No. Please don't." 

"Well, why not? I'm sure L.Joe would like to know someone's worrying about him." , this is fun. When she didn't answer, I assumed she didn't know how to respond. "You don't want him to know?"

"Not really..." Her voice trailed off.

"I guess," I placed my palm against the wall near her head to block her in as I bent down, whispering against her ear, "this could be our little secret. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone." I straightened up, an unwittingly smirk playing on my lips. "Unless you do something I don't like." I heard her draw in a breath when we got interrupted.

"There you are!" Someone shouted from down the hall.

We both whipped our head towards the female and I heard Minhee exhale a sigh of relief as her friend, Eunmi, walked towards us. Great, just great. Fun's over.

"I've been looking everywhere for you, you know." Eunmi scolded her. I tried to catch Eunmi's eyes, but she was purposely avoiding my stare, only focusing on Minhee.

Deciding to call it quits, I looked back at Minhee and smiled when she looked back. "Guess I better go. See you around," I gave a wink as I walked backwards a couple of steps, holding her gaze for a bit before spinning around and walking towards the end of the hall. A surge of adrenaline kicked in at the thought of having Minhee tied around my finger for who knows how long. 

 


(/leaves opened in a shocked manner)

changjo, you conniving lil . I smell immense blackmail.

hm, I wonder what he'll make her do now.

no, seriously. I really wonder 'cause I have no idea yet. ㅇㅅㅇ;;

anyways, I'm extremely sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time. classes made me lazy to write in my free time and then I just lost the motivation for the beginning of summer. but now, the motivation is slowly starting to kick in and now I need to get these creative juices flowing.

so comment, subscribe, verbally attack me for leaving this story hanging for half a year, whatever.

just as long as you stay awesome!