Wrong Place Wrong Time

We're the Ones You Were Warned About

A young man with red hair stepped back and admired the wall. "Ricky, I think you've outdone yourself this time," he said, half chuckling. The younger boy, Ricky, broke out into a goofy grin as he shook a spray can.

"You really think so, hyung?"

"Anything besides Infinite is outstanding to me," the red head said, gaining a chorus of laughter from his other four friends. Their laughing was interrupted by a familiar yet unwanted voice.

"Yah! What do you think you ers are doing?"

The group turned around to meet face-to-face with the owners of the property their feet dared to soil on. "Crap. Changjo, you were supposed to stand guard. What the ," one of them said.

"Well it's too late for that now," Changjo replied, "Run!"

Even before Changjo advised them to escape, the group were already up on their feet, running in the opposite direction towards the exit of the junkyard. They left behind their box of spray cans, but that wasn't something they'd be dwelling on with Infinite right on their tails with their leader, Sunggyu, yelling at his gang members to "get them".

 

 

Minhee's POV

"Be safe out there, Minnie," Eunmi said as she waved at me, outside her house gate. It was a Tuesday and because my parents were away for a week on some business trip in Hong Kong, I try to avoid my emtpy house as much as possible. I didn't mind much because I was accustomed to being home alone since I was fourteen.

I nodded and waved back, "I will."

She didn't go in yet. "I mean it. It's getting late and who knows what lurks the streets at this time."

I subtly rolled my eyes and then smiled, "don't worry, Eunmi. My place isn't even that far from here. I'll text you when I get home, ohk?"

Eunmi nodded and unlocked her gate. Once she closed it and locked it back up, I spun around on my heels and headed home. The sun had already set and the sky was turning darker. The street lights flickered on as I made my way down the street. I turned the corner and continued walking, only to be disturbed by muffled shouts that were distant but close enough to tell they were a few yards away. 

I jumped a bit and whipped my head around, but the empty street looked so quiet and undisturbed that I thought I was hearing things. But the yelling was still heard and it was becoming clearer, and closer.

My body tensed up, frozen in spot, and I waited for whatever was shouting "hurry the up, Chunji". My eyes grew wide as realization started to sink in. I knew that name.

Chunji, the red-haired guy that was part of Teen Top. I didn't actually know him, or any of his gang members. I've just heard of them and seen them around school. They were one of the most feared gangs around. And they were here.

I heard a pack of shuffling footsteps, running. But before I could even get my legs to work and start moving, they already rounded the corner. I saw a blur of black and suddenly I felt a force knock me off my feet and then a sharp pain go throughout my side. "," one of them said. I opened my eyes and was met with a pair of beautiful brown ones, staring back, his face just inches from mine.

We just stared at each other, both shocked -or at least I assumed he was with his mouth agape- before one of his other gang members past us and called him.

"L.Joe, get the hell up or you're dead meat," he ordered but didn't stop his pace.

From a distance, we heard another group of people furiously shouting and swearing. They were getting closer and then I knew what was happening. 

Just my luck. I've been caught between a gang fight.

Without thinking, we both sprang up from each other, but I dropped back down, clutching my ankle. I was ready to cry, tears b my eyes, because (1) the pain coming from my ankle was excruciating and (2) I wasn't really ready to die just yet.

 

 

L.Joe's POV

I was just rounding the corner when I looked back at Chunji who was falling behind. I thought I'd be nice and give him encouragement so I yelled at him, "hurry the up, Chunji!"

I wasn't paying attention and the next thing I knew I was lying on the ground on top of some girl. Now, I'm all for public display of affection and dominance, but this wasn't really what I had in mind. I opened my mouth to say something when she opened her eyes, but the word got caught in my throat so I just lied there with my mouth open, staring at her. I probably looked stupid, but I'd be lying if I said her eyes weren't beautiful.

Just then, Chunji caught up and ran past us, yelling, "L.Joe, get the hell up or you're dead meat."

I snapped back to reality and heard Infinite's footsteps getting closer. I mentally cursed at myself as I pushed myself up. There's no way in hell I'd die because of some stupid girl I don't even know. No matter how pretty her eyes are.

I was about to leave her there on the floor, when I heard a small whimper. I turned back around and saw she was on the floor clutching her ankle.

'She must've twisted it or something,' I thought. As I heard Infinite's voices growing closer, I started to panic, but decided to play hero nonetheless. I don't know why though. She was probably just on her way home. What luck for her to be at this place at this time.

I scurried back to her and picked her up, bridal style. We ducked into a dark alleyway just in time before Infinite rounded the corner, thankful that it was already dark enough to conceal us. I set her down, but she almost fell back to the ground. So I grabbed her waist, helping her stand up right and put my hand over . "Shh." I drew in a breath and held it as shadows danced by, indicating Infinite was passing by.

When the footsteps grew faint and then silent, I let out a sigh of relief and unclasped my hand from . We cautiously walked out of the alley with me still holding onto her waist. "Thank you," she whispered as she clutched onto my jackets's sleeve for balance.

"Don't mention it," I said, letting her go. She looked up and I noticed she had a small cut on her left cheek. 'Unlucky, but lucky enough to be alive' I thought of her. I put my hands in my pockets and nodded slightly. "Hurry up and get home," I said before walking away, "and treat your ankle."

I started jogging onto another street, being careful not to cross the path that Infinite was taking, back to our condo. I made it safely back and waited patiently for the others, wondering if they engaged in a fight without me. Just as I was getting a glass of water, the door swung open and in came the rest of Teen Top.

"Well look who's here," C.A.P. said, "almost thought you died back there, my friend." He came up and slapped my back.

"If I die, I'd die of old age. Not by Infinite's hands," I said.

"Hyung! I thought we lost you," Ricky cried out dramatically and hugged me, almost making me choke on my water. 

I squirmed, trying to break free from his embrace. "Ricky, get off." He let go, grimacing as he went to his room.

"Who was that girl you ran into?" Chunji asked, plopping down on the couch. I shrugged. "What happened to her? Did Infinite get her?"

I shook my head. 'Her ankle though,' I thought, 'I wonder if she got home safely'. I quickly dismissed any thoughts of her and downed my water. "I'm gonna take a shower," I said and then left for the bathroom.

But that night, as I lay in bed ready to sleep, she popped back into my head; curiosity pecking at me.

 

Minhee's POV

I limped the rest of the way home.

When I made it past the threshold, I closed the door and dropped my keys. A lump started to form in my throat as I tried to bite back my tears, but my vision was already blurred, streams running down my cheek. 

I stood with my back against the door, letting myself cry.

I wasn't even sure why I was crying. Was it because the pain in my ankle was unbearable? Was it because I nearly escaped death? Or was it because I kinda expected L.Joe to at least walk me home safely with this bad ankle?

Yeah I know, that's insane. He's a gangster. They're not supposed to show any pity. Maybe that's why I'm crying; because I expected something impossible. Were these even happy tears or sad tears? I don't know.

After a few minutes, I calmed down and then wiped my face with the back of my hand. My breathing was still jagged as I limped upstairs to the bathroom.

After I took a shower, I found the first aid kit box and grabbed the bandage. I wrapped my ankle as best as I could. When I was satisfied with it, I started examing the cut on my cheek. 'I hope this doesn't scar,' I thought and then made a mental note to stop by the convenient store tomorrow and pick up some scarring cream. After I was done, I stuck a cute little bunny band-aid on it and cleaned up the sink counter.

After I changed into my pajamas, which consisted of just a plain tshirt and shorts, I sat down on my bed and started texting Eunmi.

To: Eunmi
I made it home safely. But I have
something to tell you. Call me
when you can.

Not even a minute after I sent the text, my phone stared ringing.

I picked up, "hello?"

"Spill."

"Ooh, someone's a little impatient," I teased.

"Song Minhee--" she began, but I interrupted.

"Yes, Eunmi dearest?"

I can feel her frown through the phone. "Just hurry up and tell me. You're killing me here."

Talking to Eunmi almost always lifted my mood up, but recalling the memories made me a bit uneasy. "I ran into Teen Top on my way home," I said.

It must've taken her by surprise because she took a couple of seconds to respond. "What happened? How? What'd they do to you?"

"Nothing. Or just-- L.Joe ran into me. Like literally. They were running from Infinite, I think, and L.Joe crashed into me."

"Oh my god! Are you ohk?" She shouted into her phone, "are you hurt?"

"Wellllllll," I said, "I sprained my ankle but don't worry. I'm fine."

"What do you mean you're fine! You have a sprained ankle. I'm gonna sue him for attacking an innocent bystander!" Eunmi was going hysterical.

"Whoa whoa whoa," I tried to calm her down, "ohk first of all, he didn't really attack me. It was an accident. And second of all, he's part of Teen Top." Silence. "A gang." Still silence. "A gang that can easily mess you up. I don't think threatening them is such a good thing," I explained, hoping she'd understand.

"Ohk, maybe I was a little over my head..." She said.

"A little?" I shot back.

"Ohk, a lot, a little. But did he at least apologize or something?" She asked.

"Uhm..." I started to think about him, carrying me and hiding in the alley. He could've just left me out there, but he didn't. He helped me hide from Infinite so that must've counted as one right? "Uhh, yeah," I finally said.

"Really?" She sounded surprised. "He... apologized?"

"Neh," I said.

"Oh. Well then... I guess he's off the hook," she said. "At least you're ohk"

"But my ank--"

"At least you're alive," she rephrased.

"Hmmm, I guess."

"No go rest. I'll be at your house tomorrow morning to walk with you to school."

I smiled and said, "ohk. Goodnight."

"Goodnight," she replied.

I hung up and dropped my phone onto my bed. I let out a sigh. 'What an interesting night,' I thought and then fell back onto my bed. As I closed my eyes, I started playing the night's events in my head. I drifted off to sleep with L.Joe as the last thing on my mind.

 


awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

they went to sleep thinking about each other how sweet /cries becos ronely

anyways tell me how the first chapter went. was it good? great? could do better???

comment and subscribe, my lovelies!