Epilogue

Awake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(Sungmin's Pov)

 

I almost tripped over the stuffed toys that were lying around the living room. Those toys are my son's. His name is LiXu, my six year old baby boy. He loves to play with his toys, especially his Kiki; his giraffe plush.

Ignoring the fact that I almost fell to the ground, I rushed towards our ringing phone, picking it up as soon as I reached it.

"Hello?"

"OH MY GOD, SUNGMIN! MY SON IS MISSING! WHAT SHOULD WE DO? WE CAN'T FIND HIM HERE IN THE AIRPORT!" Victoria Song, the wife of my husband's best friend, said through the line without a pause.

"KuiXian is missing? But—"

"I'M REALLY PANICKING NOW! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! WE ARE SEARCHING FOR HIM FOR MORE THAN AN HOUR NOW!" I can imagine her pale, panicking face.

"Calm down, Victori—"

"HOW CAN I CALM DOWN? MY SON IS GONE AND THE SECURITIES AROUND HERE CAN'T FIND HIM TOO--"

"Of course you can't find him there because he arrived here ten minutes ago!" I ended her worries. "I didn't know how he got here from the airport all alone and KuiXian didn't tell us that you will go out of the country too! He didn't say a word about you having a trip!"

"WHAT? THAT LITTLE BOY WENT THERE ALL ALONE? THANK GOODNESS HE'S FINE BUT HOW CAN HE ESCAPE FROM US LIKE THAT?!"

As I listened to Victoria's raging relief towards his mischievous son, I watched my own son's giggles turn into a soft cry. I called my husband's name loudly to replace me from talking to this angry mother on the phone. Once Yesung took the phone from me, I ran towards my son who was walking to me as well.

"Appa!" LiXu cried while rubbing his eyes.

"What is it, sweetie? What's wrong?" I cupped his cheeks.

"KuiXian thlew my Kiki..." He replied while pointing at our garden. I saw his giraffe plush on the grassy ground and then searched for the culprit. My eyes spotted KuiXian crossing his arms with a frown.

"KuiXian, why did you do that? You made your playmate cry." I walked towards him while holding my son's hand.

"What playmate? He's not playing with me but he's playing with that ugly long necked thing!" He also pointed at the poor toy on the ground, looking at me with his big round eyes, his eyebrows almost meeting both ends. This boy's face is round and chubby cheeks. But LiXu's face is more squishy and cute for me.

"Don't call my Kiki ugwy!" My son hit KuiXian's shoulder. His sobs were replaced by anger. Kids... They argue with simple things.

"Now, now... You two—"

"Not ugly?" KuiXian cut my words. "Okay! If that long necked yellow alien is not ugly then you are ugly!"

He pointed at my son this time.

"Appa!" My son cried again and called me out of defeat.

"KuiXian! That was mean!" I scolded him. "And you were such a bad boy! How can you go here when you are supposed to leave with your parents? Your mommy and daddy is very worried!"

"I..." He stared at the other crying toddler across him with a guilty face. "I just want to play with him! I don't want to go to Korea!" then he strongly shook his head to point out that he strongly disagrees on the idea of leaving China.

"But what you did was bad" I softly said this time. "What if you are harmed on the way here? Huh?"

I can see his short temper reached its limit and his eyebrows furrowed again.

"Then I will go to Korea and you will have no playmate anymore forever! I will forget you and throw that ugly long necked alien!" He exclaimed at LiXu and ran to the door with his short legs. My son cried harder, shutting his eyes tight that made tears come out extremely and cutely ran to his friend.

"Waaahhh!" LiXu cried. "KuiKui don't weave! I'm solly!" LiXu picked one of his toys from the floor and gave it to the other. "I wiww pway with you!"

"But you love that ugly long necked yellow alien more than me!" Ahh... I see now. This little boy is jealous that my son is only playing with toys.

"No! I wove you mole than Kiki!" My son hugged his friend. "And Kiki is not an awien but a gillafe!"

I watched them sit on the floor while little KuiXian teased my boy from his letter 'R' pronunciation even if he’s already six years old.

"Ming," Yesung walked towards me. "Kyuhyun has to stay with us now. Their flight is five minutes from now and they can't afford to delay it. They trust us with Kyu now."

"I see..." I nodded my head. "But seriously, you should stop calling KuiXian Kyuhyun because he might get used to this name instead of what Zhoumi named him."

He only hummed his response and turned his sight to the two kids that are now laughing and giggling.

"Who is this Kyuhyun anyway?" I asked for another time around since Yesung calls KuiXian 'Kyuhyun' for a year now from the day Zhoumi and Victoria introduced him to us and to our son.

"Is our lunch ready?" As expected, he avoided it again. I think I will let it slip this time around. Again.

"Yes. Come on? Let's eat?"

"Ryeonggu, Kyukyu~" My husband called the kids with his made up names again.

"Ne?" The two responded together.

"Let's eat now!"

 

There's something behind those names that Yesung won't tell me.

 

 

            It's been a month and a half since KuiXian was 'accidentally' left behind and stayed with us. His parents call us every day to check if he's fine and to talk to him too. But every time they ask him directly on why he escaped from them like that, he will always run away and go to LiXu and distract himself while having fun with the other.

The exhaustion of taking care of a kid doubled. Yesung is mostly at work and I'm the only one who's left to take care of them both. But today, my dad will pay a visit to help me take care of the kids. He came all the way from Korea to here to have a week stay with us.

"Waahh!! Don't thow Kiki away!" I heard LiXu cried again when I was on my way to open the door.

"Dad!" I greeted my dad and witnessed his wrinkled eyes as he smiled at me when I opened the door for him. He had his suitcase with him.

"Hey, Minie~" We exchanged hugs. I realized that the surroundings became quiet. I heard no giggling children anymore and felt a hand clasping on my pants. I looked behind and saw LiXu hiding behind me while Kuixian stood beside him, looking up to my dad with confusion.

"Lixu, this is your grandpa Hyukie." I introduced him to my son. Since Lixu was born here in China, he never saw my dad in person. And my dad is a busy man too, we rarely talk online. But despite of that we are still in a close bond.

"My, my... They really look like them.." I heard my father utter to himself while smiling with a reminiscing touch to it.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing." He continued smiling at the kids. "I got some presents for you!"

With that, the two children screamed with joy as they followed grandpa Eunhyuk to the sofa at the living room. I trailed behind silently, watching how Lixu and Kuixian got carried away by the new stuffed toys my dad got for them.

 

That day, those two little children played with their new toys. My dad and I will eventually call them to eat and bathe. It was tiring. But it was fun too, especially now that I have my father beside me. We tucked Lixu and Kuixian to bed, both of them refused to let go of their toys and hugged it to sleep. After that we went to the kitchen to eat together all alone after a very long time.

My dad and I tried to catch up with both happenings of our lives. It has been a while since we bonded together. I'm really happy.

"You know, Sungmin." My dad went serious as he used his spoon to stir his half full coffee. "You're in the right age now. You even have a family of your own; a year with Yesung and six years with your son."

I couldn't follow where he wanted to lead the conversation. My mind was confused with his random words.

He took a deep breath and took a sip from his cup.

"I think it's time to know who are Ryeowook and Kyuhyun." He continued.

The names echoed in my head. It was always mentioned by my husband. How can I forget?

"Ryeowook and Kyuhyun? What's with them? Yesung calls the kids in those names but when I ask who they are, he won't answer but change the topic..." I stated with confused and curious eyes.

"I told him not to say a word. I want to answer that to you personally." He stood up from the chair. "Wait here."

I followed my dad's motion with my eyes as he went out of the kitchen. After a minute or two, he came back with a small box on his hands. He was looking serious as he took his seat again and faced me. I only stared at him when he put the black box on the table and pushed it near me.

"Don't just look at it. Open it." He softly commanded.

"Oh... Alright." I slowly opened the box and saw several pictures and 3 video tapes. "What's this?"

"Look at it. I'll leave you until you finished." He gently smiled at me and left.

I was alone in the kitchen right then. I slowly took some photos from the box and held it near my eyes.

"What...?" I said with disbelief when I saw the content of the image. It was a picture of a two man that looked like the adult version of my son and Kuixian.

"What's this?..." I murmured to no one as I scanned more

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter