Warmth

Warmth - Soohyun

"Can I please have a Vanilla Steamer, please?" Soohyun said as he ordered from you, behind the counter.

"It will be right out." You assured as you wrote down his order and his name as he took a seat in one of the many empty chairs that filled the shop. Quickly making his drink, you placed the cup on a tray as you moved from behind the counter and walked over to him.

"Here you are Mr. Soohyun." You placed the hot cup on the table next to him as he nodded and stole a quick glance at you.

"Thank you." He breathed out as he took the warm cup in his hands and blew on the warm liquid to cool it down. Moving back behind the counter, you began to clean the counters and put away the recently washed dishes. Soohyun walked back up to the counter to pay as your eyes met with his.

Soohyun and you met through school and kept in contact after graduation, now you were working and he was in college. He would come in here twice a week just to order the same thing from you. A crush had formed in your heart towards him as you took in the way he walked, smiled and talked to you. Everything seemed to just be falling in it’s place for you.

"How much was it?" Soohyun said as he pulled out his wallet out of his pocket.

"How much it usually is." You flashed your smile as he handed you some money as you worked with the transaction. Handing him back the change, he slid the change that he had just received into the Tip jar.

"Thank you, _______." He said with a slight smile as he turned and walked away. Taking in a deep breath you quickly made up your mind.

"Soohyun, wait." You called as you skipped from around the counter to meet him face to face.

"Yes?" He looked at you with a confused face as you grounded your feet to try not to run away at the pressure that was building.

"I know that this might be a little bold. But… I like you… no… I love you. I wait everyday for you to come into the shop and to see your smiling face, for you to come in and order the same drink over and over. I am glad that I can see you and make my day a little brighter." You started to ramble after you confessed your feelings. Soohyun rested his hand on your shoulder as you finally stopped.

"That is really sweet of you, but this is only a one sided love." With that Soohyun removed his hand from your shoulder and turned around as you stood in the same spot as the bell rang in the distance.

Biting your lips, to try and control your emotions, you walked back behind your counter as you continued with your job to occupy your mind from the harsh reality that just presented itself.

Weeks flew by as many more people came into the store and you became occupied by them. Occasionally Soohyun would appear in the corner of the store and you would ask your co workers to help you take his order. With your broken feelings towards him, you avoided him to the best of your abilities.

— Soohyun’s POV —

Appearing more and more where _______ worked was hard for me at first, wondering what she would do since I turned down her love. She would occasionally look over my way and then send someone different to take my order. Ordering the usual, I kept seeing her stare at me for a while before resuming her business.

My school work increased and I wasn’t able to go to her store as much as I would have liked. So I stayed in my dorm.

Resting on my bed, I threw a tennis ball into the air and caught it with my hands as my mind wondered to different places. First to what I should do then to you, then to the warmth of your store, the the warmth of the drink, then to how empty I felt without your warm smile and kind greetings as you heard the bell jingle on the door from my arrival.

I stayed away from your store for about a month until I couldn’t take it anymore. Snow fell slowly, as I just wanted some warmth, some kind word, one kind smile from a special person that I truly and deeply missed.

Choosing a subtle yet nice outfit. I fixed my hair before I bundled up in my coat and scarf, and walked the few blocks to her shop. The snow began to fall more and more as my breath soon became white against the cold air. The dark clouds that hung close to the ground and the slight breeze that blew the snowflakes around, hit against my warm skin as I opened the door to her store.

— Your POV —

The sound of the bell caught your attention as you looked up from cleaning the counter. A man bundled up in a warm coat and a scarf stood in the doorway as his bright red ears, and nose made me feel sorry for him.

"Can I get you anything, sir?" You called from the counter as he unwrapped the scarf from around his neck. ing his coat, he walked up to the counter. The white snowflakes that landed on his hair were soon melting to the warmth of the store as he rubbed his hands together as he walked up to the counter.

"May I have a Vanilla Steamer and a few minutes of your time?" He asked as you looked at him with a confused face. Pulling his hands away from his mouth, he smiled at you as you figured out who the man was.

Soohyun

Nodding your head, you made his drink request with ease from your memory as you turned around. Still standing at the counter, you slid the cup across the counter as you bowed at him. Taking a couple steps away from the counter, you grabbed the broom and dust pan before he cleared his throat and you looked at him.

"May I have a few minutes of your time?" His kind eyes pleaded you as you let out a defeated breath as you put the broom back and followed him to a table. Pulling out a chair for you, you sat down as he sat across from you.

”________, do you remember when you confessed to me?” He asked as he held his warm beverage as you turned a bright shade of red and nodded, looking down at your hands that were clenched together in your lap. “I don’t know how to say this but… I gave you the wrong answer.”

Your eyes looked up at him in shock as you were speechless.

"You said it was a one sided love, how could that be the wrong answer?" You asked as you became cold to him and started to stand up from your seat before he cut you off from continuing.

"It was the wrong answer because I don’t feel that way." He said as you looked at him and eased yourself back into the seat, his fingers went along the brim of the cup as he set the warm beverage on the table and slid it to you.

"I missed not getting to talk to you, to see you, to feel the warmth of something. I tried to drink warm things at home but it didn’t seem the same, there was something missing. The warmth that you get from a smile, from a kind word, from a thank you, from a hug after a hard day. I was missing you." Soohyun explained as your hands made their way onto the table and wrapped around the cup. His hands wrapped around yours as you began to blush. Your eyes met with his. "I missed you, at first I didn’t think that I loved you because you were always there, but when you weren’t it felt empty, like a cold storm without the snow or a rainstorm without the rainbow. Everything just felt empty."

"Soohyun…" You began to interrupt when his thumb gently moved against your skin, causing you to look down at his hands over yours.

"I’m sorry." His voice was soft and sober as his eyes dropped onto the table, "Will you ever forgive me and take a chance on me?"

"Yes." You said just as soft as your head nodded slightly. Soohyun’s eyes raised and met with yours once again as they held a special twinkle in them this time, something that you had missed and that wasn’t there before.

A comfortable silence filled the air as the warmth disappeared from the beverage as you moved your hands away from the cup. Standing up from your chair, you disposed of the cup and sat right back down in your spot. Something seemed to beam from Soohyun’s face as he looked at you from across the table. Glancing at the clock, you leaned forward to get back to work but Soohyun wrapped his arms around you as his body pressed against the table as his arms held you close.

"Thank you, thank you." That is all he could whisper as you smiled and wrapped your arms around him too.

"Thank you too." You said as you both pulled away.

"May I wait here til you close?" Soohyun asked as he sat back in his seat.

"You can stay here as long as you want to." You smiled as you headed back to work. Sweeping the floors, cleaning the counters and tables. Soohyun watched you closely, letting his heart warm back up to you at all of your charms and your kind, big heart that allowed him back into your warm heart.