Chapter 1

My Husband's Wife
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The morning light filters from the trees, shining brightly and illuminating the wooden path as he walks up into the hills. Birds perch on the branches and stare at him as if asking what on earth he is doing here.

He is going to be in big trouble if his mother finds out.

But why? What is so forbidden about the hills in the back of his family's mansion? What is it that make his mother react so intensely whenever the topic is suddenly brought up? 

He can't understand it himself, although he can perfectly hear what the people in town say.

"Those hills behind the Choi's mansion are haunted."

"What? That's ridiculous."

"No it's not! I heard people saying that they saw someone in the woods at night!"

"So? That doesn't mean anything."

"It does if you know that the Choi doesn't allow anybody to go there."

Such is the things that he overhear the people in town say about the hills behind the mansion, but he dismissed them as nonsense. His mother surely wouldn't forbid people from entering just because she thinks it's haunted.

Leaves crunch under his feet as he walked, up and up. He isn't sure how to find the ball himself, and start walking in the direction in which he hit it to. He can only hope that if he doesn't find the ball his son will be contented with another toy and not make a fuss.

Another few minutes and he made a right turn; it's then that he sees something that astonishes him. 

A roof. Behind the treetops and bushes he can make out the outline of a house. He walks in that direction, bending branches out of his way as he approached the house.

Didn't his parents say that nobody lives here? If so, then what is the house doing here?

The things the townspeople said came back, and he shook it off. He slowly walks, until he was blocked by a metal fence.

Blinking in surprise, he grabbed the metal wires of the fence as if to make sure it's there. Beyond the fence he can see the house, dark and imposing even under the golden rays of sunlight. 

The house was painted a light hue of brown, giving it harmony among all the lush greenery. In the front porch there are lots of red roses and yellow orchids; their petals swaying in the wind. 

Does someone really live here? Is this why his mother...

He looks up at the shaded windows, and frowned when he sees a shadow passing by in one of them in a second. He opens his mouth, thinking about calling out to see if someone really lives inside the house, but decides against it and turn back to walk away from t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter