One Woman

Fumed Firefly Without Ashes

Chapter 2: One Woman

“Jong Hyun Oppa, this is for you.” Twenty-year old Ga Tong handed her beloved best friend a little glass bottle.

“Thank you. What is this?” Twenty-one year old Jong Hyun toyed the little glass bottle between his fingers.

“This is a dried specimen of a firefly. Carry it with you always, so that you will never forget me!” Ga Tong replied as casually as she could, putting on her usual grin for Jong Hyun, so that he would not suspect anything.

She had to leave soon. She had made a deal.

She could no longer stay by Jong Hyun’s side.

As much as she loved him, she had endured enough of her life. She loved Jong Hyun deeply but she never had the courage to confess. She thought she was not fit to be his love, especially after what her older brothers and father had done to her.

She could feel shame creep into her body and devour her, each time she tried to imagine Jong Hyun and her being together blissfully. Humiliated, insulted and abused by the male members of the family, Ga Tong had wished so much that Jong Hyun would turn out to be her knight in shining armour. In her mind, she had been picturing scenes of Jong Hyun saving her from her hellish life.

However, back to the harsh reality, even her mother pretended not to know about the abuses and hurt inflicted upon her by her father and brothers. She had been trampled on by her father and two elder brothers. She was treated like a house maid who had to cook, clean and serve. She had to act like a slave to them at nights. She had to be their punching bags whenever they were in foul moods.

Life was intolerable.

However, Ga Tong endured all the pain and continued to live. This was all because of Jong Hyun.

So many times, Ga Tong had thought of committing suicide and ending all of her pain, but she always resisted it as she wanted to see Jong Hyun. She wanted to be with Jong Hyun. She needed to see his brilliant smiles, listen to his charming and soothing voice, and to stay by his side. Only when she was with him, she felt like a proper human being.

Jong Hyun pampered her like no other. She felt like a true princess in those unrealistic fairytales. He showered her with little gifts from time to time, he cheered her up with hopeful encouragement and silly jokes, and he treated her with so much care, concern and affection. He sang love songs for her, he went with her to watch the glowing fireflies in the middle of the night, and he used his jacket to cover her head when they were running back home during a heavy shower.

However, each time he inquired about her wearing long sleeved clothings around, she had to hide.

“I am cold.” She would reply so casually every single time, that Jong Hyun eventually gave up asking, and instead bought more of such clothings for her.

Whenever there were some red marks on her face, she would answer nonchalantly. “I hurt myself when doing housework. You should know how clumsy I am, don’t you?”

Jong Hyun believed her. He believed that she would not lie to him and hide the truth from him. He thought that there would be no secrets between them. No doubt, he loved her deeply, but he never thought of confessing. It seemed to him that Ga Tong and he were already behaving like lovers and there was not a single doubt of living in this way with Ga Tong for eternity.

“Oppa, I love you! I just want to tell you this before I leave. I mean... before I return home.” Ga Tong ran and shouted loudly when she was reaching her house.

Jong Hyun was taken aback at Ga Tong’s words. Her grin then was so huge and dazzling. Jong Hyun was momentarily paralyzed by her stunning radiance and beauty.

“I love you too, Yuk Ga Tong, my dearest firefly!” Jong Hyun confessed loudly and clearly. He wanted her to know his feelings for her too. Ga Tong’s grin turned into a shy smile. She had never been more beautiful than then. Jong Hyun could sense that that was her happiest moment in life.

Everything that day was so perfect and pleasant, deluding Jong Hyun into believing that all was going to be only the best for their futures. He was oblivious to the disaster and heartbreaking departure that would happen later.

“Fire! Fire! Fire!” In the wee hours, someone’s shrill pierced through the tranquil night. The people in the small neighbourhood were awakened.

The house that was being devoured by the merciless bright flames belonged to Ga Tong and her family. Grayish white smoke rose from the burning house. The flames were dancing wildly, swallowing all the people and properties in the house. No one could enter the house to save anyone.

“Ga tong! Yuk Ga Tong!” Jong Hyun practically used all of his strength and voice that night. He wanted to rush into the house to find Ga Tong but his parents pulled him back. Afterall, he was the only child.

“Ga Tong! Ga Tong!” Jong Hyun could not stop screaming her name.

Buckets of water were poured onto the fire. However, the water seemed to be acting like oil. After water was splashed, the fire did not extinguish at all, instead the fire grew and spread further. The fire monster was in triumph.

Wails of babies deafened Jong Hyun. Pathetic screams of help were carried by the strong and harsh winds to no one. In the midst of chaos, Jong Hyun fell to his knees. Tears were falling from his eyes. In his hand, he gripped tightly to the little glass bottle.

“Ga Tong, you cannot leave me. You can’t do this! You can’t! Yuk Ga Tong, how could you? Did you sense it? Is that why today had been so wonderful? Ga Tong, I don’t want this! I want you back! Ya! Yuk Ga Tong, I order you to return now! I just want you back, Ga Tong. I want you back here, alive…” Jong Hyun could not control himself. He could not handle the overwhelming emotions of fear, grief and shock. Losing Ga Tong was never once pictured in his mind. The thought of losing her had never occurred. He could not deal with this ordeal rationally.

Something little and bright flew in front of him.

It was a little firefly. It was glowing so prettily. Jong Hyun’s eyes were fixed onto it. The firefly seemed to be encouraging him to move on. Jong Hyun noticed that the firefly seemed to be dancing in the shape of a heart, then, when Jong Hyun reached out for it. The firefly flew towards the angry and hungry fire.

“No! No! No!” The saneness in Jong Hyun was gone.

Ga Tong’s house was burnt and eventually remained in a heap of ashes and piles of rubble. Four bodies were found and they belonged to Ga Tong’s family. Ga Tong’s body was missing. However, there was no trace of her being able to survive the fire as well.

People began to search for Ga Tong for days. They gave up, except Jong Hyun.

“I have to find her, Dad! You have to let me find her! I love her!” Jong Hyun growled in anguish. His parents had wanted him to stop searching.

“Alright, Kim Jong Hyun, yield! Listen to us! We are your parents, don’t you love us too?” Jong Hyun’s mother screamed.

“No, I love her as much as I love you two! Can’t you understand? She may be alive! She could be suffering out there in the cold, alone! No one is there for her! All these years, she had been abused! None of us had known about that! None of us had helped her in any way! She had already suffered so much! She deserves better!” Jong Hyun snarled

“Kim Jong Hyun, you…” Jong Hyun’s mother wanted to retort but Jong Hyun’s father stopped her.

“Three years, Jong Hyun. You have three years to look for her. That’s all. Take it or leave it.” Jong Hyun’s father spoke sternly. He adored the girl, Yuk Ga Tong, a lot too. He felt terrible about her sufferings and disappearance as well.

To everyone’s surprise, Mrs Yuk’s diary survived the fire. It was as good as new, lying there strikingly in the heap of ash and rubble. The dark blue cover glittered under the bright sun rays. What was more shocking was the content of the diary which included her guilt towards being incapable and cowardly to stop all the abuses hurled against Ga Tong.

Jong Hyun’s father had read the entire diary, and prohibited Jong Hyun from even reading a page. Jong Hyun had heard all the malicious deeds done towards Ga Tong from her family though. News in a small neighbourhood spread fast.

Jong Hyun hated himself so much for failing to notice Ga Tong’s sufferings. He should have been more sensitive. He wanted so much to make up to Ga Tong for everything.

“Thank you, Dad! Thank you! I will find her!” Jong Hyun bowed to his father determinedly. A drop of his tear fell onto the glass bottle that he had been holding onto tightly.

“That was it. That was how I ended up here asking you about Ga Tong.” Jong Hyun ended his story. He scrutinised the expression on Hong Ki’s face.

Hong Ki was apparently too shocked to speak. His eyes were wide with shock and grief. His lips were pursed tightly together and his brows were furrowed.

“I am trying to fit the pieces together. Maybe you can help me after I tell you my story. Before I proceed to tell you my story, have a drink first.” Hong Ki offered a cup of ice mocha. Deep inside Hong Ki’s heart, he was sorrowful as one single thought dominated his mind, “They love each other.”

As the pieces of clear ice in the cup knocked gently against one another, a tinkling sound was created. A melody of a familiar song rang in Jong Hyun’s ears.

Jong Hyun took a sip of the ice mocha, and asked, “Can I borrow the stage for a while?”.

Hong Ki nodded his head, watching Jong Hyun moving up to the stage, and then holding onto the microphone comfortably. Jong Hyun appeared to be born to sing. The confident look on his face was charming enough to melt the many hearts of the young ladies in the cafe. In addition, he had a cool and playful aura, which made him give the impression of being friendly and fun to be with.

“Ga Tong, I remember that you said you loved to hear me sing. I think I know why you brought me here. I am to sing for you. I am to be friends with Hong Ki. Maybe you want us to sing together for you. This song is for you, Ga Tong. This song will reveal to you how much Hong Ki and I miss you. This song will allow you to know how much we yearn for your return. This song is ‘Distance and Time’, originally sung by Alicia Keys. Yuk Ga Tong, my little firefly, I love you!”

“You are always on my mind
All I do is count the days
Where are you now?

I know I never let you down
I will never go away

I really wish that you’d stay but what can we do
All the days that you’ve been gone 
I dreamed about you and I anticipate 
The day that you will come home, home, home

No matter how far you are
No matter how long it takes Him
Through distance and time
I’ll be waiting

And if you have to walk 
A million miles
I’ll wait a million days 
To see you smile
Distance and time, I’ll be waiting

Distance and time, I’ll be waiting

Will you take a train, 
to meet me where I am
Are you on your way?
I will never do anything 
to hurt you
I’ll never live without you

I really wish that you 
would stay but what can we do
All the days that you’ve been gone 
I dreamed about you and I anticipate 
The day that you will come home, home, home

No matter how far you are
No matter how long it takes Him
Distance and time, I’ll be waiting
And if you have to walk 
a million miles
I’ll wait a million days 
to see you smile
Distance and time
I’ll be waiting

No matter how far you are
No matter how long it takes Him
Distance and time, I’ll be waiting
And you can walk a million miles
I’ll wait a million days 
to see you smile
Through distance and time, 
I’ll be waiting

oh oh oh
oh oh oh
oh oh oh

I’ll be waiting
I’ll be waiting
Through distance and time,
I’ll be waiting

You are always on my mind
All I do is count the days
Where are you now?”

Hong Ki fixed his gaze on Jong Hyun. His voice was incredibly mellow and melodious, tinged with sadness, and his voice had a soothing effect on the frantic hearts of people. He was a wonderful and gifted singer.

The lyrics of his song were really significant.

“Yuk Ga Tong, little firefly. You really should return to heal our broken hearts. Just where are you now?” Hong Ki drifted off back to his memories as Jong Hyun slipped back into his seat.

The audience in the cafe clapped loudly for his performance.

“Alright, let’s listen to my story now.” Hong Ki spoke with a dreamy gaze. Jong Hyun straightened himself.

-

Acknowledgement (for the lyrics of ‘Distance and Time’ sung by Alicia Keys):
www.haoting.com

ENJOY!

COMMENTS PLEASE! =D

th1rd3ye/crunch