Diamond snow

Diamond snow

The locals call it 'Angel dust' but others know it as 'Diamond dust' or 'Diamond snow'.

It is said that two people who watch it together will fall in love. 

 

"I don't love you and I never will, stop wasting your time." Those were the words Kai said to dasom four years ago, right under the beautiful snow coated trees while they unintentionally witnessed Diamond snow together in Hokkaido.

Dasom's pathetic one sided love had started in high school, back before Kai had met her beautiful best friend seulmi and fell in love with her. It was heartbreaking at first when she found out about their relationship, but seulmi was a good person, and dasom sincerely congratulated them, knowing that seulmi deserved him.

They were on vacation in Hokkaido, Kai, seulmi, dasom and his dorky group of friends. But then God decided he wanted seulmi back and she died in a tragic car crash which left a deep scar in all of their lives, especially kai's.

Even though Kai's heartless words had completely shattered her fragile heart, dasom still stayed by his side like an idiot and made sure to get him back on his feet just like seulmi would've wanted. It took long, but jong in eventually quit the alchohol and drugs and finally stepped out of his house. He went back to university where he studied his off and graduated early, aiming to become the world's best doctor, so that people would never have to die just because they were left in incapable hands. 

On the 25th of december, christmas night, Kai had accepted dasom as his girlfriend and she moved in with him, despite knowing that he doesn't even have the slightest bit of romantic feelings towards her. To him, it might've been the worst decision he had ever made in his life, but to her, it was the best day of her life. 

Years past and dasom had already been by Kai's side for 3 years. Kai was now working at one of korea's best hospitals as one of the top doctors, while dasom still dreams of becoming a botanist.There were many times Kai opened his heart to her, but then the next morning, he would shut the door to his heart right at her face and pretended like nothing even happened, moving everything back to square one. 

 

"What time will you be home today?" she asked, filling his cup with coffee. She had her fingers crossed behind her back, praying that he at least remembered what day today is after constantly dropping hints the past few weeks. She didn't want him to forget like the last two years.

"Not sure." he answered coldly, keeping his eyes on the newspaper. 

"Will you.. be late?" 

Jong in exhaled deeply from his nostrils, folding the newspaper and keeping it away. "I'll try to be home early. Cook something nice." he said, trying to sound casual.

Dasom's heart palpitated heavily against her chest. "Nae! Drive safely!" she smiled excitedly, waving at his turned back. 

She immediately fished out her phone to share her happiness with her closest friend.

 

***

"I'm serious, kyungie! The way he looked at me today is different! I'm almost sure that he remembers what day today is!" Dasom swore with her hand up. 

"Som, listen to oppa. Kai isn't the right guy for you." Kyungsoo took his chances and tried convincing her again. He would extend his hand to her all the time, offering her a room in his apartment until she could find a good place. Although Kai was his best friend, he was on dasom's side most of the time. He cares for her like a mother but at the same time pities her, and she really hates that. 

"Yah, you're crushing my hopes.." she feigned a hurt expression. 

"Leave him, som. You deserve better." kyungsoo sighed. Obviously nothing is going through her ears. 

A hesitant smile curled up onto her face. "He can be better." 


Kai glanced at his wrist watch, it was already close to 9pm. He pulled out his drawer and took out a wrapped present kept along with the other presents. Presents that had never been received, presents that he dare not give. 

But tonight will be different. 

He got up from his seat about to leave his office. 

Unintentionally, his hand knocked over one of the photo frames he had placed on his desk. 

He shuffled back to put it back up.

And then guilt striked him once more at the sight of her photo. 

His family mocks him for making such a big deal out of the relationship, saying it was just puppy love. 

But they were all wrong, he was seriously in love.


Today is dasom's birthday. Not that she knows, Kai never had the habit of getting her anything. But even so, she still made sure to prepare a nice dinner for the two of them. 

"Kai! Where are you? I made something delicious!" she sent the text, continuing on her homework from school.

Dasom was still in the last grade of university, majoring in gardening. Flowers mean the world to her. They had this little back yard behind the house where she would plant all sorts of flowers whenever she was in the mood. She likes the fact that she gets to watch them grow every single day. To her, they all are like her 'children' and she would cry whenever one of them died like she had just lost a family member. Kai would just roll his eyes and tell her that she's just wasting her tears. 

After what seemed like forever, her phone had finally vibrated just when she had completed her last question. 

"I'm not coming home today." 

She stared at the text for a while. A deep sigh escaped her lips and she was once again, left disappointed. 

As usual, He never bothered to explain why nor apologise.

Deep down she knew that he didn't even remember what day today is, but she still hoped that she's wrong.

Tears blurred her vision as she tucked into the food she made. 

For some reason, it no longer tasted good. 

"This tastes like trash. Thank god he won't be coming home today." she smiled, relieved. 

But of course she said that just for consolation.

Her eyes watered, her nose swelled and tears erupted out of her eyes and she finally started bawling her heart out after holding everything in for three long years. 

Why is she trying so hard when he obviously doesn't care?

He often forgets her surname. Can you believe it? Staying with someone for three years and you can't even remember her surname? He accidentally cooks her foods with shrimp in it at least thrice every year even though she's allergic to it, he doesn't know her favourite colour.. The only thing he remembers is that she was there when seulmi got into that accident. To him, she was probably just an unwanted guest in his life.

"Leave him som, you deserve better." Kyungsoo's words echo inside her head.

It was time for her to wake up.


Jong in returned from the hospital the next day after spending a night there. 

"Jung dasom." he called, walking up the stairs. It was rather odd for her not to be at the living room at this time. Her favourite programme had already started and she swears never to miss a single episode because it was just so good. 

"Jung dasom are you at home?" he tried again, pacing up and down, literally searching every corner of the house for her. 

He was just about to diall for her phone but then he noticed the letter left on the table. 

 

"Dear Jong in (I know you don't like me calling you jong in but I'm still going to do it anyway)"

Kai's smirked as he resisted the urge to admit how adorable she is. But why the long letter? He had a bad feeling..

"As you're reading this, I've already left. That's right, I've finally walked out of your life after three years. I am actually 99.9% sure you'll burn this letter right after reading the first paragraph and head to a nearby club to celebrate, but I'm praying that you'll at least finish it. For the past three years, I've learned alot about you. Your favourite colour, your favourite song, your favourite food, your favourite drink, your allergies, your sleeping habits.. And most importantly, the fact that you'll never get over seulmi. I never wanted to take over her place in your heart because I know that I can never be able to. But still, I pray every night that someday, you'll be able to look at me and smile, just like you did when seulmi introduced us. That was the only time you smiled at me. I'm going away now, Jong in. Not because I blame you. Infact, I am grateful to god when you opened up to me about how stressed you've been feeling lately that day. I was so happy that I ended up accidentally breaking your favourite cup while washing the dishes. You remember? You said I did it on purpose, but I swear I did not. I know how much it means to you. It was a valentine's day gift from seulmi wasn't it? I took a long time for me to realise that I'm not helping you, but only adding to your stress. And no matter how much I like you, the right thing to do is to leave you. But before I leave, the last thing I can tell you is that I love you. I loved you since high school and I still do. I hope you'll start smiling again while you save lives and find happiness even though it's not with me. Don't you know? Your smile looks best on you. 

-Dasom." 

Kai blinked a couple of times, and that's when it struck him.

She was gone. 

Dasom had finally left him. 

"I should be happy." Kai thought. He waited for a smile to crawl up onto his face. But no matter how hard he tried to force out one, he just couldn't seem to smile. 

Tears started to form at the corner of his eyes and he desperately tried to wipe them all off but new ones kept forming.

"What is wrong with me?!" he messed up his hair with his right hand in frustration. 

 

Jong in remembers everything.

Of course He knows her surname.

He knows her favourite colour is blue. Not just any blue but sky blue. 

He knows that her favourite flower is the Juliet rose, but she's never seen one before.

He knows how much of a deep sleeper she is. Her snores seem to be three octaves louder than his own voice.

He knows that she's allergic to shrimps and almonds.

He knows how much she hates the natural dark rings under her eyes, that made her look like a panda.

He knows how insecure she is about her tan skin just like he is. 

He knows that the 20th of July is her birthday. 

He acted like he wasn't listening whenever she recommended a book or drama to him, but right after he finished all his work during the wee hours when she's asleep, he would read the books she left him and watch the dramas on his computer. 

 

He obviously has feelings for her too. 

But Kai is just too afraid to admit it because he feels like he is letting down Seulmi, the one and only girl he thought he could ever love and never forget, so he pushes Dasom away, acts like she doesn't mean anything to him and pretended that he had forgotten her birthday just to hurt her feelings.

Kai sobbed uncontrollably, sitting himself onto the cold marble floor. He dried his tears that wouldn't stop falling down with the back of his hand.


Only a day had passed but Kai was still not used to the house being so quiet. 

He wasn't used to the door not being accidentally slammed behind Dasom as she exited the bathroom. "Mianhae, mianhae!" she would quickly apologise sheepishly while bowing thrice. 

The couch was empty.

He wasn't used to her not being there watching her dramas with three boxes of tissue laying beside her just incase there was a sad scene.

1AM. 

He wasn't used to her not coming in with a glass of milk while he burned the midnight oil to do his work. "You should go to bed soon unless you wanna have panda eyes like me!" she would say. 

Days passed after days, and soon it had been a week since dasom left. 

Kai couldn't stop thinking about her. 

Half way through his work, the image of her lovely face would just pop out of nowhere. 

He had helped water her 'children' while she was away, hoping that she'd at least come home this weekend to check on them, but she didn't. 

He cried himself to sleep that night. 

"She is never coming back."

 

[December]

Months past and he could no longer stand being without her. 

He walked over to the backyard to water the flowers as usual, surprised to find a familiar figure tending to them. 

"Hyung?" he called. 

It was kyungsoo. 

What was he doing here? 

"Hey, I thought you would be sleeping in during weekends so I didn't go upstairs to greet you." Kyungsoo half-smiled. 

"Hyung, why are you here?" kai asked. 

Kyungsoo rarely visited kai's house, saying it was too big and too spooky. The weird thing that he was actually tending to plants. Kyungsoo is a clean person and he hates getting his pretty hands down and dirty. 

"I promised dasom I'll take care of her kids." kyungsoo lowered his eyes when he said her name. 

He couldn't bear to see that expression on the other's face. The expression with not even a slightest trace of care in it. 

Kai's heart stopped when he heard her name. 

"You've been keeping contact with her? Hyung.. where is she?"

Kai wanted to scream out how much he's missed her so badly.

Kyungsoo clenched his fist, mentally convincing himself to stay calm and hold his temper. "Why do you care, huh? You're the one who drove her away." he scoffed.

"Tell me." Kai growled, his cold orbs piercing into the other's. 

"So that you can look for her and hurt her all over again? I don't think so." Kyungsoo uncontrollably launged his fist at kai. Punching the latter's left cheek violently. 

"Yah, hyung!" Kai's eyes widened, surprised that his petite friend, known for being peaceful among his group of friends, would resort to being physical.

"It's time I teached this spoiled brat a lesson!" Kyungsoo muttered through his clenched teeth, storming towards Kai like a mother about to cane her son.

He was about to hit him again but Kai was quick enough to dodge the blow and held his arm. 

"I miss her okay? I like her- aniyo, I love her. So hyung, please tell me where she is. Jebal.." Kai pleaded. 

Kyungsoo glanced at his desperation, completely dumbfounded. 

"You..what?!" his jaw nearly fell. "Why didn't you say so earlier, you ing idiot!" 

Kai's jaw nearly dislocated when he heard his best friend curse for the first time.

"You didn't even give me a chance to!" kai palmed his cheek, pouting.

"Mi..mianhae. You won't blame hyung right?" Kyungsoo batted his long eyelashes. 

"Tell me what I want to know and we'll see about it." 


The snow seemed to be getting heavier and heavier as Kai found his boots literally sinking into the snow. 

*Flashback*

Kyungsoo: "She's in Hokkaido right now! She went there for an exchange programme for her gardening major. I'll send you her address later." 

*End of flashback*

He had forgotten how cold hokkaido gets during the month of December and extremely regretted not putting on a few more layers before he left his hotel. 

He found himself walking on a familiar path, and that's when he noticed the most beautiful snow falling down from the clear blue sky. Diamond snow. It was still as breathtaking as ever. 

Not far away was a wooden cottage. 

He ducked his head down to check the address kyungsoo had given him once more. 

A grin formed onto his face. "So this is where you've been hiding, Jung dasom." 

With a Juliet rose stalk in his hand, he knocked onto the door without hesitation and waited. It was so hard to find that flower in Korea and he was afraid he'll disappoint her because he didn't come with a bouquet.

"Just a moment!" he heard a voice shout. 

His entire world warmed up despite the freezing temperature. It was her voice. 

His fingers trembled beside his thighs. What is he going to do? What is he going to say?

For the first time in his life, Kai was afraid of rejection.

What if she slammed the door right in his face? Would he be able to handle the blow for the rest of his life?

Still, he had to try. 

"I'm so sorry for making you wait so long, I-" 

Dasom was immediately cut off the moment she saw Kai. 

The person that she had been missing for so long was actually standing right before her. 

"Are you..decorating?" Kai stared up at the mistletoe she was holding up at the door. 

"Kai..why are you-" But before she could complete her sentence, she was once again cut off by a pair of lips over hers. 

She felt her eyes grew until she was certain she looked like kyungsoo. 

Kai pulled away, a tint of red visible on his cheeks. The almighty Kai is actually blushing?

"I'm sorry, but we were under a mistletoe, it's a rule." he said playfully before enveloping her into a warm hug. 

Just one hug from him made her forget all of the unhappiness she's suffered for the past three years. She had never been so close to him before.

"I missed you Kai.." dasom sniffled loudly, unable to control her tears.

"Call me jong in." Kai chuckled, ruffling her hair. 

"I missed you too, pabo." 

Those words sent dasom soaring to heaven. 

"And.." he pulled away and cupped her cheeks.

"I love you." he whispered.

 

And then they kissed again whilst the diamond snow fell from the sky.

 

 

"Everyone wants happiness, no one wants pain. But you can't have a rainbow, without a little rain."

 


A/N

So yeah, I've finally posted this after keeping this as draft for a while! 

I hesitated a lot, afraid that you guys won't like it..

Tell me what you think by commenting a lot! Help me support & promote this fic by subscribing and upvoting! 

Upvotes are highly appreciated.

Thank you so much for reading! 

P.S I hope the judges will like this!