Part One

Where the Daisies Grow

Starting from Scratch

     Dusty shelves, grungy hardwood floors, and cobweb-filled corners greeted Luhan the moment he stepped through the oak doorway and into the tiny cottage.  The air had a light earthy tinge to it, a testament to how much work needed to be done, but at least the place has character, Luhan thought, as he unlatched a rickety window.

     A cool spring breeze invaded the cottage, stirring up layers of ancient dust that sent him into a fit of sneezes. His sinuses were bound for destruction once the cleaning began, but it was unfortunately, unavoidable. Luhan's grandmother had left him the cottage and surrounding land in her will. After her passing, it took him a while to find the heart to claim what was rightfully his.  Even though Luhan hadn’t been able to visit his grandmother very often, a mountain of memories resided within the little cottage, each one heartwarming with a hint of bittersweet nostalgia.

     The fireplace was nestled in the little cottage’s heart and was just big enough to burn a couple of logs on a cold day. To the left was an old rocking chair that remained untouched, a snippet of the past that brought a gentle smile to his lips.  Luhan remembered sitting at the foot of the rocking chair as a child, listening to his grandmother tell stories of the surrounding forest while she knitted yet another pair of woolen mittens for him. Those days were filled with warmth, love, and freshly baked apple pies that always left his mouth watering with anticipation. Clearing his throat, Luhan blinked away the moisture collecting in his eyes. Reminiscing would have to wait until later. There was much work to be done. He wasn’t pressed for time, but he still wanted to turn the cottage into a place his grandmother would’ve been proud of.

     The first place he started was the bedroom. Pictures in brass frames were caked in so much dust that they'd been rendered completely unrecognizable. Luhan didn’t need to see them to know what lay hidden beneath the clouded glass. Even the stale handcrafted quilt adorning the squeaky bed had seen better days. He would need to wash it before the day was up. He was apprehensive about opening the antique dresser in the corner. Much to his relief, nothing with eight legs crawled out, but it did smell like mothballs. After opening all of its drawers to let them air out, he cracked open a window so the dust would have a place to go.

     Luhan ventured into the kitchen in search of a cleaning rag. He still remembered where everything was — the glasses, plates, silverware, pots and pans were in the exact places they’d always been. With wash rag in hand, he the sink and blanched when mud colored water fell from the faucet. After a moment, the water turned a relatively clear color, so Luhan soaked the rag. He also needed a duster, which he found under the sink.

     It took over an hour to get everything dusted and wiped clean. Luhan even pulled off the quilt and took it out back where he washed it by hand.  The cottage had running well water, but lacked a washing machine, dryer, or dishwasher. There would be a lot of things he’d have to do by hand, but he was okay with that. A small price to pay for a large slice of heaven, he thought, with a satisfied grin.

     The hours skipped by so quickly that Luhan lost track of time. He took pride in the blankets and towels hanging on the clothes line out back, the weed infested garden, the musty furniture, and even the rusty wind chimes hanging just outside the windows. Not a single thing went unnoticed. The last place Luhan attacked was the kitchen. By then the sun was beginning to set, and he was awfully tired, but he refused to call it quits until everything inside was clean.

     Luhan tackled the tiled floor next, scrubbing diligently until the grooves between them were free of dirt. Right as he picked up the soap-filled bucket to dump it outside, a shuffling noise sounded from the cabinets, making him turn on his heels and splash water all over his worn sneakers. Luhan turned just in time to see a cabinet door swing open and a can of vegetables roll out and fall to the floor with a clunk! He would’ve dismissed the occurrence as a mouse scuttling through the cabinets, but the accompanying shadow that flitted across the counter top and out the open window proved otherwise.

     He knew it wasn’t a mouse and that what he was seeing was true, because ever since Luhan was a child, he'd been able to see and hear things that most people could not. His grandmother had the same gift and was the only person who’d ever believed Luhan when he came running home with stories of little people in trees and voices on the wind.

     Sitting down the bucket, he bent to pick up the can of peas that was still rolling on its side. He fished through the rest of the cabinets in search of any remaining food and managed to find a can of sweet potatoes, a bag of chips, and an unopened package of rice. Luhan decided to save the rice for himself but fished out a can opener and drained the vegetables before dumping them onto a small plate.  It wasn’t the best meal in the world, but it was better than nothing at all.  He sat the makeshift offering in the windowsill above the kitchen sink, nodded approvingly at the freshly opened vegetables shining in the evening light, and went about his business.

     Later that night, after bringing all of the laundry inside and making his bed, Luhan went back into the kitchen to cook the remaining rice and beamed when he saw the empty plate sitting in the windowsill.  His offering had been accepted. He placed the plate in the sink for washing later, decided to trust the water that came out of the sink, and made himself a large portion of rice for dinner.

     Luhan ate in the rocking chair in front of the fireplace and fell asleep before the last rays of sunlight slipped below the blushing horizon.

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

     Stiff muscles and chattering bones woke Luhan the following morning. He’d neglected to close the windows the night before, and although the cottage smelled much fresher, it was a bit too cold for his liking.  He got up from the rocking chair slowly, wincing at the crick in his back and the burning in his overworked muscles, and walked into the bedroom to snatch his jacket off the bedpost.

     Another full day of cleaning and organizing was ahead of him. The flower garden needed to be weeded, floors waxed, and cellar gone through. Not to mention he needed to make a trip to the store so he could have a decent meal before the day was up. Luhan skipped breakfast, something his grandmother would not have approved of, and got straight to work waxing the floors.

     It didn’t take as long as he’d expected to wax them, so he was able to take on the cellar ahead of schedule. Thankfully, there didn’t appear to be much down there other than a few boxes of broken trinkets and a wall full of canned vegetables. There wasn’t a vegetable garden on the property anymore. His grandmother had always been a fantastic gardener, but as she’d gotten older the vegetable garden had diminished to nothing more than a mound of used dirt. Naturally he’d have to remedy that, perhaps buy a few seed packages and some top soil at the market later that day.

     While in the cellar, Luhan found a pair of gardening gloves before heading to the flower garden out front. He knew it would be the most difficult task of the day, which was why he had saved it for last, but Luhan wasn’t one to back down from a challenge. He ripped out weeds for what seemed like hours, and along the way encountered several odd creatures — a frog, a red-tailed lizard, a few grubs and even a shrew that darted for cover under some nearby bushes. Luhan became caked with sweat and dirt and smiled all the while, becoming all the more encouraged as he got closer to reaching his goal. If nothing else he enjoyed the distraction. It kept him from noticing peculiar things he’d rather not notice — shadows that crawled through the holes in bricks and flashes of movement out of the corner of his eye. He knew they were there. They always had been. As a child, Luhan had enjoyed playing with them, but as he’d gotten older he'd found himself wanting normalcy over phantasmal playmates.

     When he was halfway through weeding the garden, he took a break and sat on the stone steps with a large glass of water, soaking up the warmth of the sun, allowing his mind wander to unknown places. Suddenly a hefty gust of wind tousled his hair, knocking the wind chimes off of their hook just outside of the doorway. Now that Luhan thought about it, the wind had been unsettled all day. Maybe a weather front was making its way through? He hoped not. He still had a lot of work left to do.

     Just when he was about to stand up and get back to work, a small sparrow landed on a tree stump just a few feet away and tilted its head in a curious fashion. Luhan thought it odd for a bird to be so bold. The animals around the cottage weren’t used to being around people, and as such, fled from Luhan for fear of being stomped on or eaten. Just when Luhan was about to say something for the sake of humoring himself, the sparrow opened its beak and unleashed a string of angry chirps, speaking its peace much like an irate neighbor. When it finished, Luhan cleared his throat and spoke.

     “It’s nice to meet you too, Mr. Sparrow.  I’m glad I have at least one person to talk to around here.”

     His voice was laced with sarcasm but it wasn’t like the little guy could understand him anyway. It did, however, flutter over to a large brick and situate itself resolutely. What an odd bird, he thought, before  getting back on his hands and knees to dig through the garden some more. Several more hours went by with the little sparrow sitting and keeping watch over Luhan’s endeavors, observing his movements and listening to him hum softly as he worked. When Luhan finished the bird was nowhere to be seen. At least the flower garden was free of weeds and gleaming with a myriad colorful blooms.

     He managed to make it to the market before nightfall and fixed a decent dinner of chicken, vegetables, and rice before crawling into bed and watching the stars twinkle above the trees in the distance. It was never easy starting fresh. Cottage life was hard work but undeniably simple, something he'd been yearning for a very long time.

     That night, Luhan dreamt of falling endlessly with the wind fluttering wildly beneath him.

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

The Sparrow and the Shrine

     Over the next several few days, Luhan took the opportunity to explore the grounds and learn the landscape. There was so much land that he didn't know what to do with it all but supposed that was a good thing. Such a beautiful place deserved to remain unscathed by human hands.

     The weather was comfortably warm and sunny with the occasional bit of fog blanketing the hills in the early dew-covered mornings. Luhan liked to sit at the rusty table in the back yard and sip on a cup of freshly brewed coffee while reading the newspaper he'd snagged from the local convenience store a few miles away. It was his only way of keeping in touch with the outside world, and if he were to be completely honest, he preferred to keep it that way.

     No one would miss him at work or even notice that his office cubicle was empty. He didn't have any close friends since he’d never been good at being sociable. Luhan was happy with a quiet, simple life. He didn't require much except for a home, food, shelter, and some used clothes he’d bought from a thrift store in the city. He realized that at some point, his savings would dwindle down to nothing, but he planned on being entirely self sufficient and living off the land by then. 

     After another satisfying morning of sipping coffee and listening to the birds sing in the distance, Luhan threw on his backpack and trekked directly into the woods, curiosity thumping wildly through his veins. He'd already explored a good bit of the area, but each time he ventured out he always found something new — a trickling creek towards the south, an expansive flower field swaying in the breeze, a large oak tree that must've been hundreds of years old, and even a small lake tucked just beyond the tree line towards the west. And just when he thought he couldn't find anything more magical, Luhan stumbled across something very unexpected, a woodland shrine.

     Decaying wood and two crumbling statues rested at its base. The actual structure itself resembled more of a shack in Luhan’s opinion. It was a shame it’d been neglected for so long. He didn’t know what the shrine was for but didn’t feel right turning a blind eye to it, so he plopped into the dirt with little regard for his jeans, opened his backpack, and pulled out a bottle of water. After several gulps and a quick breather, Luhan stood up and threw himself into more work.

     He hadn’t brought any tools with him but was able to kick most of the leaves out of the dilapidated structure easily enough. After repositioning what looked like a little bench, straightening up the statues, and getting rid of the fallen wood, it looked much more like a shine and much less like a pile of junk. However, something still didn’t sit right with him. Luhan wouldn’t be satisfied until he’d done more. Just as he turned to head back towards the cottage for some supplies, he stopped dead in his tracks at the sight of a sparrow sitting on a nearby large rock.

     “Coincidence,” Luhan told himself.  It looked very similar to the sparrow he’d seen just the other day, but how many sparrows were there in the surrounding forest? A lot, probably. So Luhan brushed off the bird’s inquiring gaze and left his backpack lying on the forest floor.

     He didn’t realize just how far he’d come until he finally reached the cottage again, feeling out of breath and needing yet another drink of water. He went down to the cellar and found a couple planks of wood, some rusty nails, a hammer, and a partially used tub of tile grout. He hauled all of the items into the front yard and went back inside for a few select pieces of food to take back with him. Somehow he managed to stuff them all into his pants pockets so his hands could be free to carry the heavy wood and grout.  The entire time he was doing this, the sparrow on the old stump in the front yard did not go unnoticed. On his way back to the shrine, the creature circled in the air above and didn’t stop until Luhan reached his destination.

     It took over an hour to get the shrine back into working order. The gaping holes had been patched with the wood he’d brought back. The statues still looked pitiful with grout squishing out of their cracks, but at least they were whole again. The last thing Luhan did was place out some food offerings. He debated on whether to keep an apple for himself, but placed it at the base of the shrine along with the other items, then clasped his hands together and said a small prayer for the safety of the surrounding forest.

     A strong gust of wind suddenly blasted Luhan and sent specks of dirt flying into his eyes. He rubbed at them until most of the dirt had been watered out and nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw a young man sitting on the exact same rock the sparrow had been just seconds before.

     “It’s been a long time since someone visited my shrine,” the young man stated coolly.

     “I’m sorry?” Luhan blinked.

     The young man pointed.  “That is my shrine. And might I say, you did a poor job of fixing it up.”

     “What?”

     “Do I have to spell it out for you? I – that’s me – am a wind spirit. And that – the shrine – is mine. And you – a human – should offer more than just a few measly pieces of pitiful looking fruit.”

     “I’ll... do better next time?”

     Luhan was confused. Sure the guy had just said he was a wind spirit and all but he’d never met a spirit so human-like before. For the sake of self reassurance, he approached the young man and stopped only when he could assess the other's eyes for deception. Golden amber swirled within chocolate irises like a whirlwind him into a black hole. Suddenly, Luhan felt as though the ground had fallen from beneath his feet. He stumbled backwards and fell right onto his rear with a startled yelp.

     “Believe me now?” asked the wind spirit.

     Luhan’s eyes were telling him one thing but his heart was telling him another. Yes, this young man was a spirit. He felt the truth settle deep in his bones until it made him shiver.

     “I believe you,” he replied shakily.

     “Good. Now that we’re past that, I need to discuss with you your blatant disregard for your fellow residents.”

     “Residents? But I don’t have any residents.”

     “Wow. You’re a bright one.” The spirit rolled his eyes before continuing, “I watched you in your flower garden the other day. You chased away almost every single living creature within the immediate area. What do you have to say for yourself?”

     “I’m sorry. I didn’t think... I didn’t realize I’d caused that much harm.”

     “Of course you didn’t. Humans never think about anyone but themselves. Well, except for you, that is.”

     “Me?”

     “You’re not the brightest crayon in the box but at least you have enough sense to give something back to the forest spirits.”

     Luhan was struck with a thought. “Wait a second. You said you saw me in my garden. You’re that sparrow!  Aren’t you?”

     The spirit sighed. “Yes, I disguised myself as a sparrow. I can take on many forms if I wish but I prefer this one above all others.”

     “Why?” Luhan asked bluntly.

     “I don’t know. Why is the sky blue?  Because it just is.”

     “Oh. Well that makes sense I guess.”

     “Anyway. Before I was so rudely interrupted, I was talking about your garden.” The spirit jumped off of the rock, landing soundlessly on the leaf littered ground with his bare feet. As he approached, Luhan took the opportunity to soak up every last detail, because he might never get a chance to meet a wind spirit again.

     White silken robes draped loosely over the young man’s thin frame, the top half left hanging open to reveal porcelain skin that shone under the splotches of sunlight peeking through the forest canopy. The spirit appeared youthful, in human years no older than a teenager, his jawline defined, hair wild and wind tousled, gaze penetrating. Such beauty was so overwhelming that it was almost hard to look at. Luhan swallowed and held his breath as the spirit came to rest just a step away.

     “Did you absorb anything that I just said?” The spirit ran a hand through his messy hair, plucking out a few stray leaves before releasing them into a wisp of wind.

     “Um... no,” Luhan answered truthfully.

     The trees swayed with dismay, seeming to whisper snippets of gossip into the unsettled breeze. Luhan felt like he was being watched, and seeing as how he was already talking to a spirit, he had no doubt that there were probably dozens of others eavesdropping from the branches above.

     “I’ll give you one opportunity to right your thoughtless transgressions but don’t expect anything more than that from me.”

     “Perhaps as a small reward for fixing your shrine, I can request that you stop knocking down my wind chimes? They were my grandmother’s and I’d be very grateful if you wouldn’t break them.”

     “I’ll consider it, at least.”

     “Thank you.  Excuse me, Spirit, but do you have name?”

     The wind spirit shifted uneasily on his feet, an indecipherable expression gracing his otherworldly features. “I don’t have a name. Or at least, I don’t ever remember having one.”

     “Oh. Well that’s no good. As thanks for your guidance, how about I give you a name?”

     The spirit’s eyes lit up at the prospect of receiving a name.  He’d been nameless for an uncounted number of centuries. He was still tepid towards the human who’d done a less than satisfactory job of patching up his shrine, but he’d fixed it nonetheless. Plus having a name didn’t sound quite so bad.

     “As long as it isn’t anything moronic,” he gave his consent, albeit a bit cautiously.

     Luhan smiled at the faint twinkle in the wind spirit’s eyes, and the name came to him swiftly and naturally. “I’ll call you, Sehun.”

     The spirit’s brows scrunched. “Se-hun.”  The spirit allowed the name roll off of his tongue a few times. “Well, it isn’t terrible. I’ll give you that much.”

     “I’m glad you like it,” Luhan beamed, “And thank you for your kind words of wisdom, Sehun. I promise I’ll make peace with my garden’s inhabitants and to be more careful next time. It gets kind of lonely out here you know, so feel free to come and visit me sometime. Well, I’ll be on my way.” With that, Luhan gathered his backpack, flashed a kind smile to the stoic wind spirit, and walked home with a new perspective in mind.

     Somewhere on the wind, a request reached Luhan’s ears. “And bring more fruit next time. Especially apples. I like apples.”

     True to his word, Luhan laid out some fresh food next to his flower garden in an effort to bring back the tiny little neighbors he’d lost. He even managed to set up a large oval pail full of creek water and a couple of stray lilypads he’d borrowed from the lake. Hopefully, the frogs would deem it a suitable enough home for that spring and summer. Luhan felt much lighter after carrying out his end of the bargain.

     Later that night, he snuggled up in bed and gazed out at the moon. The wind had been much calmer since his meeting with Sehun. If he was lucky, his wind chimes would still be hanging on their hooks come morning.

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

An Assigned Friendship

     Luhan went through his usual motions the following day and made it a point to visit the market for more food. He only had to feed himself but giving food away to others depleted his food reserves much quicker than he'd thought it would. He became a regular at the small market several miles from home. The owner even recognized him, which was something Luhan was not accustomed to. It was nice having at least one person in the world who seemed happy about his existence, even if it was only because he came and bought a lot of merchandise.

     He made sure to pick out only the ripest looking apples, the crispiest vegetables, and snagged a box of seeds and several bags of topsoil so he could resurrect the vegetable garden. Slowly but surely, Luhan was molding to a way of life that was devoid of modern complexities but rich in simplicities that never failed to remind him of life’s little pleasures.

     When he made it back to the cottage with purchases settled securely in the back of his grandmother’s old pickup truck, he suddenly felt overwhelmingly tired. All he’d done for nearly a week was manual labor, and although it was gratifying, his muscles and joints were begging for a break. Maybe taking a day off to rest wasn’t such a bad idea. But what should he do with his free time? Loneliness wasn’t new to him but it was a completely different thing to feel lonely in the city than it was to feel lonely in, quite literally, the middle of nowhere. Maybe he could read a book, take a nap under a tree somewhere, or perhaps daydream? In the end, Luhan decided to do all three.

     He grabbed a blanket and a random book before seeking out the large oak tree he’d discovered just a few days prior.  Mother Nature had blessed him with yet another warm spring day as he stretched out on the blanket beneath the shade.  It didn’t take long for the words on the yellowed pages of the book to blur together.  He fell asleep to the sound of the wind shaking the leaves of the mighty oak tree.

     Some time later, he suddenly awoke to mirthful amber eyes and a single red apple stuck to hidden lips.

     “Hi,” Sehun mumbled the apple attached to his mouth.

     Luhan gasped and sat up abruptly.

     “You scared me!” He quickly cleared his throat and patted down his hair and clothes self-consciously.

     Sehun mumbled something unintelligible.

     “What?” asked Luhan, “I’m sorry but I don’t speak apple.”

     Sehun took a large bite of the delicious red fruit and chewed slowly before gracing Luhan with an answer. “These apples are great.”

     It took a moment for it to sink in, and when it did, Luhan couldn’t believe it. “Hey!  You broke into my cottage and stole my apples!”

     “I beg your pardon, but I did not break in.” Sehun took another bite and smiled as he chewed. “The window was open, so I took it as an open invitation.”

     “I just bought those," Luhan pouted, "How many did you eat?” 

     Sehun tilted his head and counted one, two, three, four, five, before holding up his hand to deliver his total.

     “Five?  That only leaves one left!”

     “I told you I liked apples. Did you think I was joking? Be thankful that I even left you one.”

     “You are the worst spirit friend ever.”

     “When did I agree to being friends?”

     “You didn’t, I just decided it. Much like you decided to eat five of my apples.”

     “Touché.”

     The wind picked up with the appearance of Sehun’s amused smile. Luhan had neglected to notice just how close he was to the mischievous spirit. He wasn’t sure if he should be nervous, intimidated, or drowning in admiration, though admittedly, it was probably a little bit of all three.

     Sehun finished off his apple quickly, stood up, and proffered a hand to Luhan. “I’m bored. Let’s do something.”

     “Okay,” Luhan hesitated a moment before grasping onto a soft, warm hand. He'd expected Sehun’s touch to have a ghostly aura but was surprised when it felt sunny, almost as if he could take on the world so long as Sehun didn’t let go. It was an odd sensation, getting so immersed in a single palm-tingling touch, but it definitely wasn’t unpleasant.

     “Where are we going?” he asked a bit worriedly. Sehun was a free spirit. Who knew what sort of adventures he had planned. Luhan secretly hoped that it didn’t have to do with anything involving heights. Just the mere thought of it made him nervous.

     “It’s a secret,” Sehun replied as he dragged Luhan into the forest, taking note of Luhan’s apprehensive expression. “Just trust me. Okay?”

     “Fine. But don’t make me regret it.”

     “I’ll try not to.”

     Sehun laughed into the wind.  Luhan decided that it sounded much like a distant birdsong echoing across the hills.

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

     Luhan lost track of time when he was with Sehun and didn’t feel tired even though they’d been walking for hours. They wove around towering trees, ducked under spindly branches, and didn’t stop until they'd reached a clearing. A golden meadow rolled and flickered in the evening twilight, the wind light and caressing soft cheeks.

     “Is this what you wanted to show me?” asked Luhan, realizing with a flush of warmth that they were still holding hands.

     “This is my favorite spot. It’s been here for a long time... almost as long as I have.” Sehun gazed upon the meadow with an unguarded smile that made Luhan’s heart flutter gently.

     “It’s beautiful,” Luhan replied,  “but why did you bring me here?”

     Sehun tilted his head and pursed his lips. “Hm, I don’t know.  Guess it’s just nice to have someone to share it with after all this time.”

     “Sounds lonely.”

     “Only occasionally," Sehun shrugged.

     “How long have you been the wind spirit of this valley?”

     “I don’t know. I can’t remember anything before all of this.” Sehun’s grip tightened around Luhan’s fingers. “I’ve often wondered if I was human once. Maybe then I had people that cared about me or at least had someone who remembered me.”

     Luhan’s brow furrowed at the other's honest words. Though he was but a human, he knew what it felt like to be insignificant, but at the same time Luhan also knew what it felt like to be loved by someone. It was sad that Sehun had never experienced such a thing, or at least, didn’t remember experiencing it. From what little knowledge Luhan had of the valley, there weren’t a lot of people living in it, but even those people had forgotten about the wind spirit who watched over them. No one brought offerings to Sehun’s shrine anymore. It had even been left to rot in the middle of the forest. No wonder Sehun had been so testy the first time Luhan met him.

     “Well, I care.” Luhan dropped his gaze to his feet and drew circles in the dirt with the tip of his shoe.

     “I know. It’s kind of hard for me to say, but thank you for visiting my shrine. Somehow I feel stronger, lighter, and my energy has been restored. As long as you keep some apples around, I promise I won’t destroy your wind chimes.”

     “That’s the best thing I’ve heard all day.”

     “Yeah, well, don’t get used to it.”  Sehun tugged on Luhan’s hand again.

     “More walking?” Luhan whined. “You do realize that I have legs. And they’re getting tired.”

     Sehun stopped in his tracks and surveyed Luhan from head to toe. “If it’s too difficult for you, I could take us there an easier way.”

     “Easier? Well why didn’t you say so?”

     “Close your eyes.”

     “Excuse me?”

     “Close your eyes.”

     Luhan wasn’t sure what Sehun was planning but it made him anxious. He recalled the poor little woodland shrine and stared back at Sehun’s smile, still reminiscent of sadness.

     Luhan slipped his eyes closed without another thought. “I trust you.”

     “As long as you keep your eyes closed, you’ll be fine.”

     “For some reason that scares me to death.”

     Suddenly the wind swirled violently and a soft voice spoke into his ear. “Don’t be scared.  I’ve got you."

     A chill trickled down Luhan’s spine as he felt Sehun’s arms wrap around him tightly and hold him close. The scent of dewy mornings basked in summer light filled his senses, and Luhan began to feel much lighter as he buried his nose into Sehun's warm shoulder, then held on tight. The air lapped at their skin, whipping and swirling and tugging at clothes. Luhan felt his curiosity surge, and against Sehun’s orders and his better judgment, cracked open an eye.

     He screamed.

     The world below was passing by at an alarming rate.  All he could see was the distance between him and he ground, a gaping void that raked over his nerves with little mercy.  He clawed at Sehun’s back, thrashing and kicking in a desperate, yet illogical attempt at finding safety.

     “Sehun! H-Help! We’re gonna fall! Take us down! Take us down! Take us down!

     They descended so fast that Luhan’s stomach leapt into his throat. The second their feet touched the ground, he took four steps and bent over to release the contents of his stomach into the tall grass.

     “I told you not to open your eyes,” Sehun crossed his arms and watched Luhan with pity.

     Luhan didn’t say anything and continued to retch until there was nothing left to throw up. He stumbled back a few steps and fell back into the grass, breathing heavily while shaking from head to toe.

     “Are you alright?” asked Sehun.

     “I’ll be fine.  I just... need a few minutes,” he replied, still gasping for air.

     Sehun nodded once, seeming to run over his options before deciding to lay back in the grass next to Luhan.  “You’re afraid of heights,” he stated the obvious.

     Luhan nodded silently, and Sehun noticed the tiniest bit of moisture collecting at the corner of Luhan’s eyes.

     “I fell out of a tree once when I was little," began Luhan. "It’s strange though... I remember falling but I never remember hitting the ground. In any case, ever since then I’ve been afraid of heights. ”

     “I see.” Sehun shifted uneasily, quickly dropping the subject. “Perhaps some other time then?”

     “Sorry.”

     “It’s alright.  There’s just one problem.”

     “And what’s that?”

     “We have to walk back now.”

     Luhan groaned and brought a palm to his forehead.  “Fantastic.”

     “Sorry?” Sehun offered halfheartedly.

     Luhan’s airy laughter rang out and Sehun arched a brow. “You’re laughing.”

     “Yeah,” Luhan said around fits of light laughter, “For the first time in a while, I am.”

     “Congratulations?”

     Luhan reached over and smacked Sehun in the chest with the back of his hand. “Stop it.”

     “No?” Sehun tried his best not to smile but it happened anyway.

     “Stop!” Luhan laughed.

     Then they were both laughing. The sun was already beginning to slip below the tree line. They had a long way back to the cottage, but neither one of them could find the will to care, because nighttime had a certain allure to it when it was spent in good company with the fireflies dancing on a languid breeze.

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

Delightful Distractions

     Luhan woke up in his bed the following morning and sat up. Still wearing the clothes from the day before, he squinted sleepily at the rain pattering against the window panes. Wait, he thought, how did I get home last night? He remembered being with Sehun the evening before, having his mental meltdown after flying, and sprawling out in the grass. Luhan dropped his head to his hands and sighed. He must’ve fallen asleep again. It was becoming a horrible habit.

     Begrudgingly, he got out of bed, grabbed some fresh clothes out of the antique dresser, and went into the bathroom so he could take a long hot shower and hopefully right his mind before starting the day. Once he emerged, he felt more at ease and capable of coherent thought. The first place he visited was the kitchen, and since it was raining, decided to fix himself a large breakfast and maybe even get a fire going in the fireplace.

     Luhan fried up some eggs, bacon, and cooked some rice as well. The milk in the refrigerator was still good for a few more days, so he poured himself a tall glass and picked up his meal to take it to the living area, but paused. The single apple sitting on the countertop stuck out like a sore thumb, making Luhan feel guilty for having left it there. He sighed, grabbed the shiny fruit, cracked open the kitchen window, and placed it on the ledge. He latched the window shut before too much rain and cold wind could blow in.

     Since he no longer felt guilty for having a humongous breakfast, he ventured into the living area, sat his food on the coffee table, and took a moment to get a fire started in the fireplace. After getting settled in the old rocking chair with a flannel blanket, he inhaled his breakfast and sighed once his stomach felt pleasantly full.

     “Satisfied?” A familiar voice broke through the silence.

     Luhan nearly fell out of his chair. “Sehun!” he gasped, “Don’t do that!”

     The wind spirit chuckled under his breath as he stretched across the neighboring sofa, chowing down in the apple Luhan had left in the window.  “And don’t think I didn’t see that,” he said pointedly.

     “See what?”

     “That breakfast fit for the gods you just ate. And you didn’t even offer me any. How rude.”

     “I beg your pardon but I was starving. Besides, how was I supposed to know you were going to stop by? You’re so unpredictable that it makes me dizzy.”

     “And you’re so frugal that it makes me want to huff and puff and blow your cottage down.”

     “I’m going to poison your next apple. Just wait,” Luhan crossed his arms over the blanket defiantly.

     “Well good luck with that. It wouldn’t do anything to me anyways.” Sehun pointed at himself, “Immortal. Duh.”

     Luhan really hated how Sehun had a snappy retort for everything he said. He couldn’t win no matter how hard he tried. That thought alone made him want to shove that apple down Sehun’s throat, and he’d probably do it if he thought it’d actually do anything. Instead he glared, daring the wind spirit to say something else. Thankfully, Sehun seemed content with eating the rest of his apple in silence. Luhan was annoyed, he but also fell victim very easily to guilt trips.

     “Um... I still have some eggs and bacon left. I could fix–”

     “Why yes. I’d love some, Luhan.” Sehun smirked, eyes still focused on the apple he was devouring. “You’re too kind.”

     Luhan stood up, blanket still wrapped around his body, and mumbled several not-so-nice things under his breath as he waddled into the kitchen. If Sehun heard, he chose to ignore them as Luhan set about cooking more breakfast.

     “I like my eggs sunny-side-up,” added the wind spirit.

     Something slammed in the kitchen, followed by more angry grumbling. Sehun laughed and watched the flames flicker and crackle in the fireplace. He realized that the human was starting to grow on him.  Having a friend was turning out to be the best form of entertainment. Sehun wouldn’t admit it, but for the first time in centuries, he was happy again. Yet somewhere in the back of his mind was the lingering knowledge that all good things came to an end, especially when those things were destined to wither and die like flowers with the passing of the seasons.

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

     Progress on the vegetable garden was cast aside with little thought. Luhan was far too busy exploring the land with Sehun and letting his time waste away, doing anything but things considered productive.

     “You want to go swimming?” Luhan asked in disbelief when they viewed the lake.

     “Why not?” Sehun started pulling off his top.

     Luhan lowered his gaze to the ground, pulse thumping wildly in his ears. “I don’t know...”  He bit his lip nervously, wondering how he was supposed to act under such revealing circumstances.

     “What’s the matter? Don’t tell me you’re afraid of the water.”

     “No!” Luhan retorted, meeting Sehun’s gaze with widened eyes.

     “You really shouldn’t do that,” said Sehun, hanging the top half of his robes on a small, overhanging branch.

     “Do what?” Luhan asked.

     “Look at me like that.”

     “I’m looking at you weirdly?” Luhan blinked several times, willing away his anxiety while hesitantly tugging his shirt over his head, feeling beyond exposed in front of Sehun. He folded his arms in front of his chest, trying to hold onto at least one small sliver of modesty.

     Sehun gave a quaint smile and eyed Luhan from head to toe. Luhan didn’t look at all that strong, in fact, he seemed quite fragile. He found it curious how a creature so meek could be so strong and work so hard without an ounce of help. It was admirable how hardworking, and for the most part, selfless Luhan was towards others. As Sehun gazed upon those doe-like eyes full of uncertainty and insecurity, he felt his soul warm along the edges.

     “Xiao Lu,” the name rolled off his tongue like liquid sunshine.

     “Hm?” Luhan shifted uneasily under such a piercing stare.

     “You gave me a name so I’ll give you one too. I’ll call you Xiao Lu.” (Note: Chinese for “Little Deer”)

     “I like it. I think.”

     “Well you better get used to it because Xiao Lu it is and Xiao Lu it shall stay.”

     Luhan’s lips curled into a grateful smile as some of his anxiety lifted. “So swimming, huh? Wind spirits like the water?”

     Sehun rolled his eyes. “I’m a wind spirit, not a fire spirit. Of course I like the water.”

     Luhan felt a brief a burst of confidence. “First one in gets to eat all of the apples!” He dashed towards the lake at lightning speed, only to have Sehun fly past him with the wind tearing at his heels. “Hey!  Not fair!” Luhan stopped and nearly choked when Sehun ran across the water and into the middle of the lake before diving in head first.

     Sehun emerged with a splash, joyful laughter sending ripples flowing across the entire lake. Luhan stared in wonder at the sight before him. Perhaps this was how he’d played with spirits when he was younger, because something felt oddly nostalgic about his current position.

     “Come on, Xiao Lu! Don’t be a wimp!”

     “I’m coming! Sheesh. Give me a second.” Luhan stuck a toe in the water and retracted it immediately. It was mid-Spring and the water was frigid.

     As Luhan threw caution to the wind and ran into the water screaming at his chattering bones, he began plotting ways to ruin all of Sehun’s apples, which were really his apples since he’d bought them, but who was keeping track anyway?

 

🌿🌿🌿

 

     The following weeks came and went with the passing of spring into summer. Luhan hadn’t got very far on his vegetable garden but had a few tomato and cucumber plants growing steadily. Sehun proved to be a good helper when needed and kept the birds and other animals from devouring Luhan’s vegetable garden in exchange for several apples each week.

     Luhan’s days were full of Sehun now. They ate breakfast, lunch, and dinner together and read books under the shade of the old oak tree during the hottest part of the day while Sehun provided a soothing breeze. During those times, Luhan would often fall asleep and wake up to Sehun watching him from the branches above, a small smile tugging at his lips.

     In the evenings, Sehun would lead Luhan to all of his favorite places and tell him stories of the forest, ones that were similar to the ones Luhan’s grandmother used to tell him when he was little. Sometimes Luhan would ask him questions, and Sehun would always give honest answers, but occasionally Luhan would ask something that Sehun couldn’t answer. Apparently, there were limits to what even the wind spirit knew.

     On their walks back to the cottage, they would run across the hills, getting lost in childish games and comical insults directed toward each other. Those games always ended in a shove here, or a push there, which soon led to rolling down hills on their sides and laughing at the leaves and twigs that would get stuck in their hair. Sehun would lean in to pluck bits and pieces of the forest from Luhan’s golden locks, smiling contently as he did so and say, “Xiao Lu.  Look at the mess you’ve made.” Luhan developed a skill for holding his breath during those times, because he was far too tempted to do things that ventured beyond just friendship, and it scared him.

     Sometimes they’d stretch out in the yard and watch the stars twinkle in the night sky. Sehun liked to point out various constellations and tell Luhan stories of the animals and deities of old, elaborating his tales with grand hand gestures and excited eyes. Luhan would get lost in those shimmering irises, like two galaxies of their own, their enchantment stirred Luhan’s soul all too easily. Luhan distracted himself by telling his own stories, ones of scientific expeditions to the planets in the solar system and ground breaking discoveries made by robots built by man. Sehun was stunned to hear such tales. They made the wind spirit think that perhaps mankind wasn’t as weak as he’d previously thought. For what they lacked in physical strength, they made up for in intelligence and passion.

     Sehun was enamored by Luhan. Everything Luhan did made Sehun feel lighter and warmer in even the farthest reaches of his soul. Any of the coldness he’d felt before had vanished and was replaced by an emotion he couldn’t decipher. All he knew was that he wanted to spend all of his time with Luhan, and when he wasn’t able to do that, a part of him felt empty. He often found himself wondering what it would be like to touch Luhan’s soul, to cradle it in the palm of his hand and care for it until the end of time. But Sehun knew that such a thing was not possible. A day would come when Luhan would cease to exist in his world. Until then, Sehun was going to enjoy his short lived happiness for as long as the universe would allow it.

     “Hey, Sehun?” Luhan asked while looking at the faint glow of the Milky Way above.

     “Hm?” Sehun turned to Luhan, smiling somewhat sadly.

     “Where do forest spirits come from?”

     “That’s a good question. It’s kind of hard to explain, though. How about I show you someday?”

     “Promise?” Luhan tilted his head to the side, drinking in Sehun’s unfaltering gaze.

     “I promise.”

     Luhan smiled and rolled onto his side, resting his head on Sehun’s shoulder with a content sigh. Sehun went rigid for a moment before relaxing into the warmth settled next to him. If he closed his eyes and focused hard enough, he almost thought he could hear Luhan’s heart beating in time with the chirping of the crickets. He couldn’t help but feel that he was exactly where he needed to be at that exact point in time, nestled so close to Luhan that he could smell his minty shampoo mingling with the night air.

     Sehun fell into a place somewhere between dreaming and awareness. In passing, he thought he sensed an icy presence walking somewhere nearby. It lasted for only a second, so minute that he quickly dismissed it as a wandering spirit passing through the valley. For the first time in Sehun’s life as a spirit, he came very close to sleep, but pulled himself back from it just enough to stay awake — for Luhan.