warm

Day by Day

warm

793 words; Jongdae is tired from school and Yixing is watching TV on the couch.


“You’re like a freaking furnace.” Jongdae mumbles. He buries himself into the tiny space between Yixing and the couch. There isn’t that much room on the small loveseat so he ends up mostly on Yixing, their legs tangled and draped over the sofa arm. Yixing’s head is propped up on the opposite arm with Jongdae’s face buried in the crook of his neck, Jongdae’s arms loosely wrapped around his shoulder.

“No, you’re just cold.” And it’s a bit of an understatement because Jongdae is freezing. It’s probably because it’s November and the only thing Jongdae has to shield himself from the cold is a T-shirt and a hoodie.

“I forgot to take a jacket this morning.” Jongdae mumbles and sighs, loving the way Yixing arms wrap around him, the way his hands rub circles in his back. He had rushed out the door that morning late for class—again, but this time it really wasn’t his fault. He wasn’t the one that was up until o’clock in the morning banging on the keyboard finishing the project he’d procrastinated on until the last minute and keeping his boyfriend up.

“How did the presentation go?” He asks. He feels Yixing shrug under him.

“I passed.” Yixing says like it’s nothing and Jongdae hates when he does that. He’s been at the school day. There was no way he could’ve missed all the composing students talking about the class presentations. He knew Yixing more than passed and he hated it when the other boy downplayed his talents. Any other day Jongdae would’ve pressed this but he was cold and tired and didn’t want to move from his spot like ever so he let it pass this once.

He just got home too—which reminds him. Jongdae lifts his head up and stays that way until Yixing finally looks away from his stupid show. Yes? His face seems to say and Jongdae just blinks, looking down at him expectantly. It takes a couple of seconds for Yixing to get it and Jongdae rolls his eyes when he sees the moment it clicks for Yixing. He gets his welcome home kiss and then another because he deserves it.

“How was your day?” Yixing asks. His hands comb through Jongdae's hair and Jongdae closes his eyes. He blinks, a little drowsy.

“Eh, same as always.” He shrugs or shrugs as best he can while lying down. “Did some work, ate some food, talked to some people.” Nothing had really happened and he'd come home after classes and group meetings concluded. It was late now. It had already been dark when Jongdae had left for home. Usually on Tuesday and Thursdays he had the most classes and were the most tiring.

“Maybe you should go take a shower.” Yixing says and Jongdae shakes his head.

“Don’t wanna.” He drops his head so he’s facing the TV and not the back couch. "This crap again?” He says when he catches what’s on TV.

“Its not crap. Its genius.” Yixing flicks Jongdae’s arm.

“Its about a stupid reality show about stupid people who do stupid things.”

“Its genius.” Yixing insists like he always does.

Right” Jongdae says like he always does.

“Come on, get up.” Yixing pokes him in the side and waits. When Jongdae doesn’t move he does it again and again until Jongdae’s squirming. He breaks out in to laughter when Yixing goes for his sides.

“Stop it.” He chokes out between gasps, burring pulling himself closer to Yixing. Yixing only does when Jongdae’s gasping for breath. Jongdae suspects that he only does either because his fingers get tired or how tightly Jongdae’s arms are around his neck.

When his laughter dies away Jongdae settles himself back into his previous position. Yixing’s attention goes back his stupid show but his hands never leave Jongdae’s back and they stay like that for a while. Yixing rubbing soothing circles on his back and Jongdae, trying not to fall asleep right then and there but it’s so hard because Yixing is a human radiator. His warmth blankets Jongdae, seeps into his skin and forces the cold out. It gets harder and harder to keep his eyes open. Jongdae yawns quietly.

He’s warmed up but he’s still a little bit cold. Sighing, Jongdae decides that maybe he really should take that shower after all and pushes himself up. He doesn’t abnormally radiate heat like Yixing does and being confined to bed with a cold during finals week isn’t really an option so after leaning down to kiss Yixing, Jongdae makes his way to the bathroom.

“You watch the weirdest crap.” Jongdae doesn’t forget to say halfway across the living room.

“It’s genius.” Yixing calls behind him and Jongdae snorts because no, it’s not.