Beat of Two Hearts

Better Than My Big Brother

 

 

 
Seunghyun's POV
 
 
 
I am pacing back and forth in front of my house gate, while keep looking at my watch. It's almost 7 pm and Sooyoung hasn't come home yet. As her big brother, I am incredibly worried. Her curfew is 5 pm and now it's almost 7. Where is that girl? 
 
From afar, I can see her walking with someone. I cannot see them clearly, but I am pretty sure that she is with a girl. Probably her best friend who she kept talking about, telling me how pretty she is. What's her name anyway? I think I didn't catch that part. Sooyoung told me once before. She has an American name, Sooyoung told me.
 
Uhm.. Tiara?
 
Ugh, I don't know. I bet there has something to do with letter 'T'. While I kept thinking, I didn't realize that Sooyoung and her friend have already stood right in front of me. Well, looks like I don't have to be wondering anymore.
 
"Sorry I'm late, oppa" Sooyoung asks for my forgiveness. "We were having a group project and I brought my best friend here" she whispers on my ear. "She's the one who I've been talking about"
 
Before I can say anything, Sooyoung embraces her so-called-best friend. "Tiffany, this is my big brother, Choi Seunghyun" she then looks at me with a big grin on her face.  "Oppa, this is my best friend, Stephanie Hwang"
 
'So, her name is Stephanie' I say to myself. That's a pretty name. I smile slightly as I lean my hand to her. "Choi Seunghyun, but please just call me Seunghyun" I am probably cold, but I always try to act politely, especially towards a stranger.
 
She bows her head a little bit. "A-annyeong, I'm Stephanie Hwang. But you can call me Tiffany" she says softly, as she shakes my hand awkwardly. Why does she look so nervous though?
 
I knew it has something to do with letter 'T'. So, Tiffany it is. I am not that Bingu after all. I rub my nape, don't know what to do nor to say. And Tiffany is just standing right in front of me, right next to Sooyoung who is still embracing her.
 
Sooyoung finally realizes the awkward situation and breaks the ice. She smiles at Tiffany and says, "Come on in, Fany. This is the first time you come to my house, right? Tell me your opinion" she leads her to go inside our house.
 
I close the gate and walk inside. Sooyoung is busy telling Tiffany about our family photos. Tiffany just smiles and nods hearing my sister's explanation. I can tell that she's a nice girl straight away. I am pretty good at judging people, I'm telling you the truth.
 
"I'll get you a drink. You like juice, right?" Sooyoung says while winking her eye at her. What's with the wink? She then grins at me. "Brother, please treat my dear Tiffany nicely while I'm making a drink, okay? I trust you"
 
I just nod my head as she leaves to the kitchen. I approach the silent and nervous Tiffany and point at the couch. "Just sit there" 
 
Tiffany nods slowly as she takes a seat on the couch. I sit beside her, I can see her sweating right now. I steal a glance at her face, she is all red. And she keeps looking around, it looks like she's trying to not make an eye-contact with me. I should be offended by now, because I didn't even know her before, yet now she's acting like I was being a bad guy towards her. But, despite being offended, I end up chuckling. I just find her funny... And cute.
 
Wait, what?
 
This is probably the first time I'm thinking that a girl is cute. What is wrong with me? I've seen so many pretty girls before, but she seems different than others. I don't know why, but suddenly I feel nervous as well.
 
"Uhm, sorry.." she breaks the ice. Her voice is just so soft and subtle. "I'm sorry for barging in at a time like this" I don't think she's barging in, though. Wasn't it Sooyoung who brought her here?
 
"I don't think you're barging in" I say calmly. "Sooyoung brought you here, right?"
 
She nods slowly as she grips tightly on her skirt. She is still trying to look away from me. Dear god, what's wrong with this girl? What have I done? There's just no way she's one of my fans, right? Because I haven't seen her before, even though Sooyoung said that she's very close to her and they always together.
 
She gulps. "Well then, uhm.. Sorry for intruding" now I really think that 'sorry' is clearly her favorite word of all words. And now she thinks that she's intruding. Apparently, she still hasn't got the idea that Sooyoung was the one who brought her here, which means she didn't come here on purpose. She came here because Sooyoung forced her to do so. ( I know my sister so damn well )
 
I don't know what to say to her, so probably let me just ask her about general things. I hate this awkward atmosphere so bad. "So, how's life?" see? That's what I mean by general things. I'm good at this.
 
She tucks a strand of hair behind her ear. "Good, I guess. Just preparing myself for the upcoming exams. I'm not feeling very confident at this point" finally, she can say something other than 'I'm sorry'. She slowly turns her head to face me and looks at me in the eye. "How's yours, sunbae?"
 
DUGEUN.
 
I can feel my heart stops beating for a second. God, now I really hope that she's not making an eye-contact with me because I can't handle her eyes. I look away slowly and answer to her question, "Not bad, preparing for the exams as well"
 
I steal a glance at her as she nods her head. Thank goodness, she doesn't feel offended with my action just now. She suddenly chuckles softly and stretches her arms. I frown and decide to just ask her. "Why are you chuckling?" I have this bad habit, which is always want to know about other people's business.
 
She looks at me and smiles. "Ah, nothing. It's just that.. I have many friends who are big fans of you, sunbae. They will kill me if they find out that right now I'm sitting right next to you, inside your house. Thinking about that gives me chills" she chuckles again. 
 
And I see it.
 
Her eye-smile.
 
.
 
I stay quiet, don't know what to say. I saw her eye-smile. She looks so pretty and innocent, I just can't look at her. Damn you, Choi Sooyoung. I hate you for bringing her here. I lean on my chin, look away from her.
 
 
 
Sooyoung's POV
 
 
 
I come back with the tray on my hands. I made strawberry juice for my Tiffany and orange for both my brother and I. But, I see a very unusual view. My brother is flustered while leaning on his chin, not looking at Tiffany. And on the other hand, Tiffany is sitting right next to him, looking so uncomfortable because of the awkward situation while looking around.
 
I draw a slight smirk because I know this plan will succeed. Tiffany will fall so easily with my brother, because he is so damn hot. And I mean, who won't fall in love with the almighty Choi Seunghyun, the Black Panther of the school? My brother will also fall head-over-heels with Tiffany because seriously, no one can resist her charm and beauty. She is one gorgeous, yet innocent girl, I'm telling you.
 
I walk to their spot with a big smile on my face. Tiffany looks at me as I give her a 'meaningful' wink, while brother doesn't give a fuss with my presence. I put the tray on the table right in front of them. And then I take a seat beside Tiffany, forcing her to move closer to my big brother. 
 
I am smart, I know.
 
To break the ice, I grab a glass of strawberry juice and give it to Tiffany, which she accepts right away. Well, probably she is thirsty because she is soo nervous. She says 'thank you' and takes a sip of her juice. My brother grabs his orange juice and drinks it until it's half-full. He doesn't even bother to say 'thanks'. Too nervous, I see. 
 
I look to my right, observing the look on their faces. Now I'm kinda wondering... What made my big brother flustered like that? What did Tiffany do or say to him? I never saw my brother blushed, NEVER in a million years. But, he is flustered now because of my best friend? 
 
Hmm.. I'm seriously going to love Tiffany much more after this.
 
Tiffany puts her glass back on the tray and looks at me. "Uhm, Sooyoung.. My brother asked me to come home, he hasn't made dinner yet" oh, now she is trying to escape from my plan. "So, can you please return my math textbook now? Please~"
 
I just nod my head and walk upstairs, to my 'room sweet room'. I open my desk and grab the math textbook which I borrowed from Tiffany a few days ago. I walk back downstairs, finding the awkward atmosphere like before. I think it's getting worse though. I give the book to Tiffany with a big grin on my face. "Thank you so much for the book, Fany"
 
Tiffany nods her head and gives me her eye-smile. "No problem, Soo" she then puts the book inside her bag and stands up. "I'll be going now, sorry for intruding" she then looks at my brother and bows ninety degree. "Once again, sorry for intruding sunbae"
 
My brother stands up and both he and I lead Tiffany to the gate. I than think for awhile. It is late already and to reach the bus stop she needs to walk through the alley which is very dark by now. Then a very brilliant idea comes into my mind. "Tiffany, it's late already. My brother will take you to the bus stop" I say with a big grin on my face, while clinging onto my brother's arm.
 
Tiffany's eyes get widened and I know my brother just swallowed down his saliva. He is starting to sweat. I chuckle secretly, knowing how nervous he is.
 
Both of them.
 
Tiffany shakes her head vigorously. "N-no need, thank you" wait, is she blushing right now? I can see a shade of red on her cheeks.
 
I can't let this opportunity go to waste, so I try to persuade my brother. But, before I can say anything...
 
"Come, I'll take you to the bus stop" oh, thank god he is being such a gentleman.
 
Tiffany finally gives up and nods her head slowly as she glares at me. I just put on my innocent face and close the gate while waving happily at her.
 
 
 
Author's POV
 
 
 
Seunghyun and Tiffany walk side by side through the narrow-street.  Seunghyun rubs his nape awkwardly. He does not know what to say at this point. He sometimes steals a glance at Tiffany who keeps rubbing her arms. Being a gentleman as he is, he takes off his jacket and gives it to her. "Here, wear this"
 
Tiffany just shakes her head. "No sunbae, thank you"
 
Seunghyun is extremely tired because she keeps saying 'no' to everything. That girl really loves shaking her head, doesn't she? "Just wear it. You're cold, right?" he just keeps forcing her to wear his jacket. "I washed it already, don't worry. It's cold, you might get sick"
 
Finally, Tiffany decides to just surrender as she takes Seunghyun's jacket. She can smell his body's scent from his jacket, making her flustered. She sighs and puts on his jacket. "It's warm.." she mumbles. She really thinks that every girl will hate her if they find out about this.
 
Seunghyun looks at her. "You're warm now? Good" he flashes a slight smile.
 
Tiffany's heart skips a beat as she sees his smile. She never knew that the Black Panther could smile like this. Or.. Probably he just shows his smile to certain people? So, can she think that she is probably special? There is just no way... Maybe.
 
They finally arrive at the bus stop. Tiffany looks at the board and finds out that the next bus will arrive at ten minutes past eight. She sighs as she looks at her watch. She then comes to Seunghyun and says to him, "Sunbae, thank you so much. The bus will arrive in twenty minutes. So, I'm fine now. You can go home" she smiles at him. She asks him to go home, even though she still wants him to accompany her. She is actually a little bit scared, she never went home this late before. But, she does not want to trouble Seunghyun.
 
Seunghyun looks at Tiffany's smiling face. "It's okay, I'll accompany you until the bus arrive. It's late anyway, you're a girl" for some reason, he just cannot leave her all by herself. He does not know why, but he clearly thinks that Tiffany is afraid, even though she does not show it. 
 
Tiffany can feel her face is burning. This is what she is afraid of. She is afraid to fall in love with him. Because she knows that he is very charming, not mentioning his handsome face and his great body. But.. She never knew that the Black Panther could be this... Warm.
 
They do not say anything to each other, silence feels the atmosphere. But, there is no awkward situation like before. Right now, the situation is pretty much calming. Tiffany feels saved by Seunghyun's presence, and Seunghyun does not mind at all. He does not mind spending time with this innocent pretty girl.
 
The bus finally arrives. There is a disappointment in Tiffany's heart. But, she has to go home. She takes of Seunghyun's jacket and flashes her eye-smile at him. "Here is your jacket, sunbae. Thank you very much" she bows, again.
 
"Just wear it, it's pretty cold. A skinny girl like you won't be able to bear it" he gives the jacket back to her. He does not want her to get sick.
 
Tiffany nods her head and walks to the bus as she puts back on Seunghyun's jacket.
 
"Tiffany!" Seunghyun shouts and Tiffany turns her back. "Don't call me sunbae, it's awkward"
 
Tiffany chuckles softly. "Seunghyun oppa then" she smiles as she goes inside the bus, leaving the Black Panther dumbfounded.
 
Seunghyun holds onto his chest as he feels his heart beats uncontrollably.