Best friends...?

Kaistal One-shots

She walked quickly to the elevator, ignoring the stares of people around her, heels clicking as they hit the floor. Calm down, Soojung, she told herself. She had spent all morning listing pros and cons and she had finally gathered the courage to do it. She was totally ready for everything and anything. She ungracefully stumbled over her own heels and crashed onto the marble floor. Okay, maybe not.

 

"Soojung, what are you doing?" Her friend, Choi Jinri, asked, clearly concerned. She quickly ran to where Soojung was burying her head into her hands in disbelief.

 

"Urgh, Jinri. I am a total mess. Help me." Soojung whined hopelessly, not even bothering to lift up her head from her immaculately manicured hands. Jinri  sighed to herself and sat herself down with Soojung.

 

"You're not the only one. Jongin looked like he was in a bad mood today too." Soojung froze when she heard his name. Jinri had noticed and narrowed her eyes. "Did something happen between you two?"

 

"No." Soojung answered quickly, "Nothing. Just… Is Jongin in his office?" Jinri inspected her closely, but decided that she would grill her for details later on.

 

"Yeah. He didn't even greet me this morning. He just immediately took the lift up to his level. By the way, Amber told me to tell you that she was looking for you. She's been trying to find you all morning." Soojung bit her lip and planted her hands down to the floor, slowly lifting herself up. She huffed a sigh.

 

"Okay, I'm going to go see him now anyway. Tell Amber that I'll be in Jongin's office. I'll see you later." Soojung turned to leave, leaving Jinri scratching her head, still trying to figure out what was going on. Soojung tapped her foot impatiently, as she waited for the elevator to arrive. She inhaled and exhaled, feeling adrenaline rush again when she had entered the elevator and remembered where she was heading. She hesitated before pressing the button, labelled '9'. She quickly fixed her coral-coloured skirt , so there were no creases and gave the lapels of her white blazer a quick tug. She checked her reflection in the elevator and cringed when she saw that her eyeliner had slightly smudged. Slight traces of eye bags remained under her eyes. The bell finally sounded and the doors of the elevator opened. She walked out and opened the glass doors to see about two dozen workers, some scrolling down their laptops, some frantically scribbling down notes and others talking over cups of chamomile tea. Feeling a surge of hope, she spotted Kim Taeyeon, who had a panicked look as she exited from Jongin's office. She hurried over to Soojung.

 

"Be careful. The boss is really pissed off this morning." She announced. Soojung sighed and clicked her tongue.

 

"It's okay. I can take Jongin. I've done it practically ever since we were just two years old." Taeyeon smiled at this and gave Soojung a hug. Soojung quickly waved goodbye before walking the remaining paces to Jongin's office. Ba-dump. Ba-dump. Ba-dump. She inwardly cursed at herself. What was up with that pounding in her heart? She wasn't scared of Jongin. Heck, they'd been best friends since childhood. She knew him in and out and probably better than he knew himself. So then why was she feeling so edgy? She already knew the answer though. She wavered before peeking inside Jongin's office. He was leaned back in his chair, examining the screen of his laptop, one hand running through his tresses of hair in a stressed manner. She witnessed him sighing and looking up from his screen, only to notice Soojung. Her heart was beating ten times faster than it already was when her eyes locked with his dark eyes. Great. Now she couldn't back out. He had already spotted her. His lips forced a weak smile and he gestured for her to come in. She plastered on the same weak smile, trying to convince herself to get her act together as she opened the door carefully, closing the door behind her.

 

"Hey." Was all he said. She breathed out a heavy sigh and sat down in the chair set in front of his desk and seat.

 

"Hi." Was her reply. Thick tension doubled by the minute. She finally plucked up the courage to look up to see that he was already looking at her. He smirked lightly when he saw that she had noticed. She immediately felt her cheeks flame up.

 

"So… How was your morning?" Jongin finally asked, breaking the tension. Soojung sighed for what felt like the millionth time.

 

"Before or after you left my place this morning?" He winced at this.

 

"I don't know what to say, Soojung. I know that it's kind of insane that we lost our ities to each other last night when we were drunk and only twenty," He rambled, "…But I don't regret it." She stopped breathing for a second. Not only had he just reminded her of their actions last night, but strung the fact that he hadn't regretted it either within the same sentence. She tightened her lips to form a line. Mainly because it was taking everything in her to not run to him, tug onto his tie to bring his face forward and plant her lips upon his. She knew that her face was turning a visible shade equivalent to a ripe tomato and she gazed off to the paintings on his wall. She couldn't look at his face right now.

 

"I… I don't regret it either, Jongin. But…" She trailed off.

 

"So, it wasn't a mistake then." He confirmed.

 

"I guess," Soojung sighed, "But what's going to happen to us, Jongin? I don't want to lose you because of a one-night stand." She got out of her chair, slightly exasperated, and walked towards him. She put her hands on her hips and looked down at him, where he was sitting. "And I don't want to lose you if we develop feelings. We've been best friends for eighteen years. Eighteen years. You're the person that understands me the most." He reached out for her hands and interlocked his fingers with hers, her slender hands meeting with his soft ones. He sighed as he stared at their hands playing with each other.

 

"To be honest, I don't know. I don't want to lose you either." Soojung nodded along.

 

"Exactly! Do you remember what we said when we were twelve? The pact that we made. Even if we fall in love with different people or get married or move away…"

 

"We'll always be best friends. Together forever." Jongin finished. Soojung inhaled sharply and nodded in agreement. He stood up from his chair and she let go off his fingers, gazing up into his eyes. They were beautiful. She swore at that moment that she could see the future in his eyes. She peered down and realised that his tie was done very untidily. Probably because he was in a rush to leave her place this morning. Her slim fingers reached for the tie and tightened it. She looked up and realised that their faces were merely brushing against each other. She was once again lost in his eyes. She lifted her hand to place on his face and brushed his cheek with her thumb. She contemplated breaking off their gaze and walking away, but she couldn't. She couldn't bring herself to rip her gaze off him. She leaned in slightly and he seemed to be reading her mind because he did too. His lips tasted like everything she expected heaven to be. His tongue ran across her bottom lip and she granted him access. Their tongues dueled. His arms wrapped around her waist, hugging her closer to him. She reached her arms to his neck and buried one hand in his hair. Soojung definitely hadn't had this in mind when deciding that she would confront Jongin about the night before, but this was bringing her more happiness than she could ever imagine. She was sure at this moment, that Jongin harboured in the same feelings for her as she did for him the past few years.

 

"Seriously Kris! I've been looking for her everywh- OH MY GOD." Amber's voice couldn't be mistakened. Soojung and Jongin removed their lips from each other and looked at the source of the voice. There stood Amber and Kris, holding frappuccinos, looking like they'd seen ghosts.

 

"Whoa man." Kris broke the silence. "But, I think we all saw this one coming. Frappuccino?" The couple realised that they still had their arms around each other and looked at each other awkwardly before stepping away from another. Jongin cleared his throat.

 

"Soojung was… uh, having breathing problems all of a sudden." Soojung rolled her eyes and pinched the bridge of her nose. Amber and Kris gave each other knowing looks before bursting out in laughter.

 

"Yeah, I'm sure she did. Anyway, we thought that you needed cheering up. Everyone in the building has been telling me that you guys were having an argument. But that's obviously resolved." Amber teased, "By the way, Soojung. Three words. I. Knew. It." She pulled Kris away and she could be heard yelling out about how Soojung and Jongin had finally got things in place. Meanwhile, back in Jongin's office, Soojung and Jongin breathed out sighs of relief. He lazily wrapped his arms around her again and she lightly hit him on the chest.

 

"Soojung was having breathing problems all of a sudden? Seriously dude?" She complained. He laughed and she pinched his nose before wrapping her arms around his shoulders again.

 

"So, what are we going to be? Friends with benefits?" He asked playfully. She chuckled.

 

"You wish!" She called out, "I don't know."

 

"Well. I love you and I have for a while." He stated, suddenly feeling brave. She looked into his warm eyes, glinting with hope and smiled. Perhaps she knew all along.

 

"Me too." She replied, "I love you too." She watched his chiselled cheekbones rise as his smile widened. He sat back down in his chair and she placed herself on his table. He stared down at her fingers locking with his.

 

"Also, what did you mean when you said, 'if we develop feelings for each other?' Please. I saw you checking me out earlier." His famous smirk appeared on his face as he talked. She laughed and hit his hands lightly.

 

"You know me too well." She told him, "I bet you in the next five hours, Amber will have told everyone about witnessing us making out."

 

"Oh well. What can I say? You're a good kisser." He replied, shrugging casually. She hit his shoulder playfully and laughed.

 

"I know." She answered arrogantly.

 

"Prove it to me?" He asked. She hopped into his lap and cupped his face before pressing her lips to his. And this, Soojung had decided, was what brought her happiness. Or specifically, he was what brought her happiness. She could hear people gossiping about them outside already, but she didn't mind. She practically had him wrapped around her finger. She would make him deal with them. Tomorrow. Right now though, she would concentrate on the person in front of her.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________

 

I had time to write another one-shot today and I'd like to thank you all for the kind comments and subscribers :) I really appreciate it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy this one :)