Close

One Minute Back

I could feel someone nudging me. Gently but strong enough to wake me up . I slept while having my turn of sighing and stretching. I opened my eyes to see it was Jaemin. Everything looked blurry and unfamiliar. I got up, sat on the bed. And took a few minutes to adjust to where i am and who i am with and to just remember it all. 

 

"You slept for two hours, I got bored so I decided I'd wake you up. And I'm really hungry." Jaemin said. 

 

Who in the world wakes someone else up because they're bored. I glared at him and told him I'll shower and we could eat after I do. I headed to the shower ,Which was nothing like the one i had in my apartment. This one had a bathtub filled with scented water and petals of red roses and a shower room, Plus a collection of shampoos and body oils begging to be used. Everything was so clean and shiny. I never got this excited for showering. I was going to sit in the bathtub for hours but i remembered the bored and hungry jaemin waiting for me outside. So i just showered and washed my hair and used the hotel's blow-dryer. I slipped inside one of my usual over-sized plain white t-shirts and pajama pants. Just as i was about to walk out of the bathroom I could hear my stomach growling from hunger. 

 

To my luck, I found that jaemin already room-serviced a feast for us. I automatically ran over to where the food was.

 "I didn't know what you'd want so i got all the junk food they have" He said. "You,sir. is amazing." I said staring at the food and was ready to dig in right away using my hands, But there was a nice table to be used. I looked over to jaemin who still looked somewhere between puzzled and thinking about the last sentence i said to him and suggested we'd use the table. Which he agreed to and we started setting it.We both reached for pizza with our hands while awkwardly eyeing the forks and knives. We started laughing. "Screw it, I'm using my hands" I told him. Which we both did.

 

 

 Jaemin grabbed the mugs that were set for coffee and poured coke in it. Which made me laugh uncontrollably . I sipped coke from a mug while eating cheese fries and onion rings. I was finally full, And not in a good way. It was the bad "I'm full". The one that hurts your tummy. So I threw myself on the ending of the bed trying to make myself better. Jaemin seemed to be done too , He came and awkwardly sat by the corner of the bed away from me. I could tell he was nervous. I don't know if it's him who always displays his emotions on his face, Or if It's just me who can reads them.

 

" You can break the unspoken rule of laying next to a girl you know for 8 hours, It's just laying." I said staring at the ceiling with a swollen belly. He hesitated at first, but then carefully laid down next to me. With our legs on our the floor and our bodies by the end of the bed. "Ordering that much food was a wrong idea . I can't breathe" He said. I laughed even though it hurt to laugh. "Don't make me laugh, It hurts" I said laughing. But we ended up laughing and pausing for an "ugh this hurts" and continuing to laughing again. I don't remember laughing this much, talking to someone this much, or generally feeling this comfortable with someone.

 

We both kept staring at the ceiling. I guess my staring is infectious. "Let's play the five secrets game. I'd tell you five secrets and you'd do the same" Jaemin suggested.

"There's no such game" I laughed.

 " I know, Let's just do it, We have nothing better to do." He laughed as well. I agreed and he decided to go first. 

"I really regret this food" He said. I laughed and jokingly hit him and told him it wasn't a secret. 

"Alright, Let's see." He said and paused for a moment to think about it. 

"I once peed in my mother's vase,  She brought it all the way from italy" He said. 

I let out the biggest laugh until my eyes started tearing up. "But i was six years old. She never found out, or she did and my brother took the beating for it, I'll never know really." He explained. Which only made me laugh more. "It's my turn?" I asked and he nodded. 

 

" I had a crush on my 8th grade teacher" I admitted. Jaemin laughed his heart out at me. "So teachers is your type? Interesting ." He asked. I answered him saying I don't have a type.

 "Do you have a type?" I asked. 

"Yes, She needs to be a six foot blonde girl. With, well, You know. And she needs to have blue eyes. She has to be funny and smart and social." He said. I turned around and shot a look at him, Could he really one of these guys with these stupid standards? He turned and started looking at me. "What?" He asked

. "Nothing. I mean, It's your personal opinion" I said avoiding his eyes and going back to my ceiling staring. 

 

"I'm joking, of course it's not. You should've seen your face when i told you that" He said laughing at me. 

I breathed in relief knowing he was joking. I would've got back to the city in the morning if these were his standards for a girl. "I don't have a type, too." He said.

 

 

 "I feel like i know you." Jaemin told me after a pause. This took me by surprise and I needed time to let it sink in. Could he be feeling what I'm feeling? I turned his way again. "Me too, I've thought about this the first time I saw you. You're so familiar, But somehow I'm sure we've never met" I said. "Exactly" He agreed.

"It's strange" I said. He nodded. it was strange. 

 

It was my turn. I got back to staring up. " I avoid looking at you on purpose" I said. I couldn't believe I said these words out loud, to him. He was so surprised he turned my way and kept looking at me. I could feel his gaze. "see, Like this. You're looking at me and I'm avoiding it." I said smiling.

"Why?" He asked. 

" I can't stop" I admitted.

 He was still looking at me. "Me too, But i'm not strong enough to avoid it, So i just keep looking at you the way I am now." He said.

His words were enough to make me turn my head his way and face him. Looking at him, Sinking just like i did the first time. And I don't mind. I don't mind anything as long as i could stay here, like this for eternity. With this familiar stranger.

 

He was about to say something but he thought he better not, He got up and decided it'd be better if we would go to sleep because we have to go explore the island in the early morning. He said He'd sleep on the couch.

 

My phone started ringing and i knew it was Jinhwan. No one else would call me. I told jaemin I was going to take this phone call outside. 

 

Jinhwan : "are you still alive?"

Me : "are you still stupid?" 

Jinhwan : "good to know you're still an ." 

Me : I laughed and asked why he was calling

Jinhwan : "I wanted to check on you, Where are you right now?"

Me " I'm in a hotel room with him."

Jinhwan : "Separate rooms, right?" 

Me : "No. The same room. We're sharing the bed" 

Jinhwan :"Lia...."

Me : "It's just sleeping for crying out loud. Think outside of the box"

Jinhwan : "When you come back pregnant with a-" I interrupted 

Me : "Jinhwan, Goodnight."

Jinhwan : "Fine. Goodnight, I'll be calling you again." and he hung up. 

 

We took turns in brushing our teeth and carefully slid ourselves inside our blankets. I could tell he couldn't sleep and neither did i. It was impossible. I think some unspoken rules are there for a reason. I felt bad for him sleeping on the couch, But a bit relieved because I'd never sleep if he was sleeping closer to me. I closed my eyes and drifted into a sound sleep. 

 

 

To only wake up at three in the morning by a hand touching my own hand and pulling me.