Intros

Disastrous Weekends

So I was on the couch, slacking off on schoolwork and chewing on potato crisps when my dad walked in, looking prissy and a bit red in the face.

“Taehyung –”

I corrected him. “It’s ‘V,’ dad, I go by ‘V’ now.”

He rolled his eyes at me. I noticed that he had his car keys and suitcase in hand. I wonder where he’s off to. “Your dad and I gave you a whole name – eight letters as we’re so generous – and you hack it off to a single letter,” he said. “It’s not even a cool letter anyways. X’s are considered cool letters.”

I gave him a look. “How would you even know what ‘cool’ is?”

Again, he rolled his eyes at me. I see that he’s been practicing. “I’m not here to talk about your ‘tude lately –”

“Dad, no, you never say ‘tude.” Of course my doubly helpful comments were left ignored. The love I feel in this house.

“– I need to head out for a bit and you still haven’t done you chores and ” – he noticed the half-chewed crisps in my mouth – “when was the last time you ate your fruits, Kim Taehyung?”

My dad has this fruit .

“For the millionth time, it’s V, dad,” I said, a bit exasperated, “and if there were fruits in this house, of course I’d eat them.”

“There’s an apple in the fridge.”

“It’s green!”

“What the fu – heck does that have to do with anything?”

“You know I don’t eat green apples,” I said innocently.

He was fuming, I could see. Better I right the situation a bit.

I mustered up the cutest face I had. Dad’s got a soft spot for cute things. “Dad, you’ve lived with me for – how old am I again? Oh yes – sixteen years. And you don’t know your own adopted son’s food – to be more technical – fruits habits? I am hurt.”

Dad seemed a bit fed up with me. This dad’s a bit rational. Other dad would already be throwing the chairs at me. He’s really hot tempered. “I don’t have time for this, okay? Baekhyun’s already waiting for me by the ship. He sends his love.”

I sat up a bit, actually listening. “You’re going on a cruise? Without me?” I said, exaggerating. “Oh and send other dad kisses from me.”

Dad grinned, ruffling my hair up. You could say that Daehyun’s the father figure whilst Baekhyun’s the mother figure – he’s definitely got the mood swings and extravagant eye makeup down. “Yes, didn’t I tell you? I’ll be spending the weekend with your dad this weekend – I did tell you that we’re re-living our honeymoon, did you forget?”

I furrowed my eyebrows, thinking back. “I remember me responding with an ‘ew’ then escaping to my bedroom before seeing both my dads doing it on the kitchen counter – way to traumatize a child, dad, didn’t know other dad was such a screamer, too.”

That earned me a smack on the back of my head. Dad ignored my whimpers as he continued on. “Since your dad and I don’t trust you –”

Hurt.”

“– we hired a babysitter.”

I sprang up from the sofa, arms crossed and looking pissed. “What?! I’m not five! I can take care of myself,” I huffed indignantly.

“You had drowned in the kiddie's pool once.”

“But –”

That was when our doorbell rang. The shrill ding-dong buzzed in my ears. Dad turned away from our conversation yelling, “Wait a minute, I’ll be right there!” then turned to me, a stern don’t-ing-mess-with-me face, saying, “Be nice, Taehyung.”

He then went to open the front door.

“This isn’t fair!” I yelled loudly, not caring if the woman who’ll be watching me would hear. Not hearing a response, I dramatically dropped myself on the floor, burying my face into one of the pillows. I also didn’t give a flying if she saw me like this. It’ll make her job harder. I would dramatically stomp my way into my bedroom but Running Man is on in, like, ten minutes. Dilemmas, dilemmas.

Straining my ears, I heard dad greeting the woman, some murmuring; then silence as they shook hands. Loud footsteps were approaching the living room and I curled myself into a ball, nearly slipping under the coffee table.

The sounds stopped. I heard dad sighing. And the babysitter spoke. “Oh, Taehyung.”

I pried the pillow off of my face and blinked.

There, in the middle of my living room, was the most beautiful man in existence.

And the man who single-handedly broke my heart,

Kim Seok Jin.