Chapter 6: When You Wish Upon a... Pen

Twisted Fates

Baekhyun was lost. Again. It has been two weeks since he has started going to the university. He should have at least memorized the way to his own classrooms by heart, but that was not to be. He tried to bring up the map on his tablet but he just became more confused because he didn't know where he was at all, so it was useless. Baekhyun looked around trying to find a familiar landmark. 

'How did I even end up here?' Baekhyun sighed, as he thought to himself. 'I got out of the dorm, cross to the other side of the quad, and go left past three buildings and enter the fourth. Wait. Did I say go left? I was supposed to go right!!' 

The young fairy smacked his forehead. He entered the wrong building, but Baekhyun was so confident that he wandered throughout its hallways thinking that it was the right one. Thus, he was lost, and this was supposed to be the first time he would come into this class because of a mix-up at the registrar's office for his schedule.

Baekhyun tried looking around and finally saw a familiar face. "Tao!" he called out.

The other man looked up and around for the voice calling him, as he was texting. A few moments later and Tao recognized Baekhyun, “Hey! What are you doing here? The Liberal Arts building is on the other side."

Baekhyun quickly ran up to where Tao was and told the other guy that was lost.

"Well, it's a good thing you found me then," Tao let out a small laugh. "How about I walk you to Stanley Hall then? It's on the way to my dorm anyway."

"You would?" Baekhyun sounded relieved. "Thank you very much. I really don't want to be late for this class, since it's the first time I'm attending it."

"Ah yeah," said Tao, as the two of them began walking out of the building for Engineering students like Tao. "Sehun told me about the mix-up at the registrar. He sounded like he wanted to rip out the throat of one of the employees there."

Baekhyun giggled a bit. "He almost did actually. I had to keep him a good distance away."

Tao just give the other man an odd smile, with a faraway look in his eyes.

Baekhyun thought that Tao was still very much smitten with his roommate. Luhan's shot must have been very potent, or the other guy just might really wear his heart on his sleeve. He hoped Sehun would not break Tao's heart. Baekhyun had spent quite a good amount of time with the couple as Tao was a frequent visitor in their room. Over the days, Baekhyun had come to know Tao and he really appreciates how he manages to complement Sehun's rash personality. The young fairy considers the younger mortal as more than a mere acquaintance, to the point that they could consider themselves friends. 

The two of them were quiet though on the way to Baekhyun's proper destination. Tao would text on his cellphone from time to time. Baekhyun presumed that it was Sehun, at least. The young fairy himself did not really know what the two of them could talk about. It's not like as if he can easily reveal to the mortal that he was a fairy and they could talk about the things he missed back in the fae realm. Baekhyun had to stifle his laugh, thinking about what Sehun would do if he did such a thing to his roommate's boyfriend.

Fifteen minutes later and they were navigating the many hallways of the Liberal Arts building. It was a four-sided building which seemed to have a smaller building inside, and if it wasn't for Tao, Baekhyun would just as well have gotten lost inside it himself even if the fairy managed to find the correct building.

"I think my room's just down this hallway," Baekhyun announced as he looked at the room numbers nearest him. 

"Alright," answered Tao. "Take care then."

They both waved goodbye to each other before going their own way. Baekhyun noticed that there were still some students about but when he looked at his wrist, he knew he had to hurry. Without really paying any attention, he entered his own classroom and disturbed the teacher mid-sentence.

"Can I help you, young man?" said the professor, who leaning back on the desk up front.

"Umm..." Baekhyun stammered as he felt the door automatically close behind him. He then gave a bow, just as the instructional video showed him, and introduced himself. "My name is Byun Baekhyun and this is my first time to go to your class, sir. I apologize because there was a mix-up in my schedule at the registrar's office."

"Well, go on and find yourself a seat." The professor pointed a hand towards the rest of the classroom which was shaped like a small amphitheater where the students were looking down to the teacher. "Such an intriguing, young man. Quite polite. Now that I think about it. Let's talk about politeness in the modern times. I think-"

Baekhyun meekly made his way up to the only empty seat that he could find. Because of his nervousness, the professor's words were just a mumble in his ears. The young fairy was about to take a seat when he noticed his seatmate. It was all Baekhyun could do not to gasp, and divert everyone's attention towards him again. He was seated next to Kris Wu who, at the moment though, was asleep. 

'He looks so innocent,' Baekhyun thought to himself, as he stared at the other man whose head was turned sideways towards Baekhyun and his cheek flat on an open notebook. 'Even his light snoring is cute.'

Suddenly, the professor called out a name and the young fairy snapped out of his creepy stares. Baekhyun tried to compose himself and took out his notebook, his writing pen, and his "dusting" pen. He realized why Sehun was very adamant that Baekhyun had to be in this class. The half-mortal would not settle for any other schedule, even though Baekhyun had told him that it was alright with him. Baekhyun check his watch again and he remembered that he was supposed to be "dusting" his charge at this time. 

Over the past couple of weeks, Baekhyun has tried his best to sprinkle the lucky dust on Kris at the appropriate times, although he wasn't successful in all of them. Other than that day when Luhan suddenly appeared again and they were caught by Sehun, there were times when Baekhyun would miss Kris passing by, or he would get lost in the campus. It was a couple of days after Baekhyun failed for the third when Sehun declared that the fairy's schedule would have to be changed. After almost a week of haggling with the staff at the registrar's office, Baekhyun's schedule was changed so that he had the same classes as Kris when it was time for his "dusting."

Not wanting to disturb the serene, young man, Baekhyun chose to listen to the lecture. A quarter of an hour later, Baekhyun looked at his watch once more and saw that it was time. He held the pen in his hand. Click!

 

Kris felt something tickle his nose. Still groggy, he sat up straight from his position on the desk. He was up studying all night for an exam in one of his major subjects. Even if he was already in his final year, he still didn't know why he chose International Studies for his major. Kris felt that even if he studied art, he'd do just as fine.

"Welcome back to the conscious world, Mr. Wu," the professor remarked, obviously not forgetting that his student fell asleep once more in class.

Kris groaned softly and buried his face in his hands. It was a promise time and time again that he would not study at the last minute. It was also a promise broken time and time again.

"Alright, class," the professor began to address everyone once more. "You will all have a report due next week. Wait, I don't want to hear any complaints yet."

There were already some students grumbling though.

"You will work in pairs," the professor began again.

The class started to cheer but was interrupted once more.

"Wait-! Which I will be choosing," the professor finished, which was met with louder groans. "Now, now! Listen. Those nearest to the center aisle will be partnered to the person beside, and then we go down the line. I expect all your reports in by this day, next week, 5PM. Class dismissed."

Kris looked to his right but saw that his classmate was already talking to the next person about the assignment. 'Wrong direction, then,' he thought to himself, before he turned to the other side.

If Kris were to describe what happened that time, he would call it the moment that he believed there were angels on earth. Before him was the most beautiful man he had ever seen. He had never seen such a face before, or had he? It was those eyes that took the young man in; perfect almond shapes with irises the color of dark mocha with hazel flecks. Kris had a nagging feeling that he knew this man. A few more moments and he noticed that, though they were not as thick this time, the man still had his gold eyeliner on.

"I know you," Kris heard the words before he realized he had said them out loud. "I-I mean, um, yeah, hi, my name is Kris. I haven't seen you in this class before. Are we classmates or were you just sitting in?"

The man before him gave a smile. It was a mix of amusement and embarrassment, which just sent a tiny tingle down Kris' back. "No, it's my first time to come into this class. My schedule got a bit mixed up in the registrar's office. I'm Baekhyun."

Kris held out his hand, which Baekhyun shook after a few hesitating moments. The mortal knew that what he felt wasn't a tingle anymore as their fingers touched. "Would you like to go over the assignment? Oh, wait, I'm sorry, do you have a class after?"

Kris watched as the other man look down at his wristwatch and double checked the time on the wall clock up front. The movement caused Baekhyun's neck to be exposed, which had the effect of Kris trying even harder to keep himself calm. He wondered if Baekhyun would be interested to meet up with him for more than just the assignment.

"Oh no," Baekhyun's face fell. "Is that the time already? I have a class after. Umm... I'm really sorry. How would you want us to work on this assignment, uh... Kris?"

"How about later in the afternoon?" Kris probed, hoping the other one would agree.

"Umm... I think it'd be okay," Baekhyun answered. "My classes for today are only until 2PM."

"Great," Kris said a bit too loudly, but hoping not too enthusiastically. "Do you know where the Two Moons Cafe is?"

"Not really," said Baekhyun, fidgeting slightly. "I've only just transferred this term, so I'm not very familiar about where everything is."

"Really?" the other man asked, genuinely surprised. "But you seem really familiar."

"Umm... to be honest, I kinda remember you too." Baekhyun bit his lip. "Do you remember a guy about more than a couple of weeks ago with orange hair?"

"That was you!" Kris exclaimed. "That's why you look terribly familiar. Oh geez! I liked that hair though, but I guess you can't always wear cosplay in campus. So, umm, how about we meet at the entrance of this building and then we go to Two Moons?"

"We are going to talk about the assignment, right?" Baekhyun teased.

"Of course!" Kris promptly raised a hand to promise. "Scout's honor. Although, umm, if you'd like to, I can show around the best and familiar places in campus. I mean, just because you're a recent transferee. I mean..."

"I have to go," said Baekhyun, suddenly getting up and collecting his things. "I'm going to be late for my next class. I'll see you later then at the building entrance."

"Okay, sure." Kris saw the other man making his way down to the door quickly. A few moments later, he called out, "Wait, Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun turned around, a questioning look on his face.

"What about the after part I told you?" Kris asked from across the room.

Baekhyun simple gave him another of that mixed smile. "We'll see."

 

It was five minutes to two in the afternoon and Kris was making his way to the entrance of Stanley Hall and wait for Baekhyun. He really didn’t want to be that early to meet up with the other man, as he felt he would look too eager and that wasn’t his style. At the same time, he also did not want to be late because he was trying to make a good impression on Baekhyun. The other man was a bit shy when they first talked after class but Kris couldn’t help but be interested on Baekhyun. He wanted to know everything about his new classmate.

“Hyung, it’s so hot.”

Kris heard Tao complain, as the afternoon sun was well-angled into the entrance of the building, with barely any shadows to take cover in. Since Kris did not want to wait alone, he dragged his roommate with him so he at least had someone to talk to. Although, there wasn’t much talking between the two as Kris going on and on about Baekhyun.

“Just it up, Tao,” said Kris. “As I was saying, he has the most beautiful eyes. I can’t describe the color. They’re like pools to drown in when you look at how expressive they could be. He also has this eyeliner. I didn’t notice them at first, but the color was gold. I don’t know how, but it works with his eyes. Those eyes that are just…”

Tao could only roll his own eyes in response. He was about to take a nap back at the dorm when Kris suddenly dragged him out of the room to accompany him in waiting for this guy that the latter was gushing about. Kris arrived at their dorm at noon and Tao has not yet heard any other thing out of his hyung’s mouth than his new classmate's eyes and hair and eyes again.

Then there was silence. Tao looked at his hyung and saw that the latter was just standing there with his eyes towards the inside of the building. Tao followed Kris’ line of sight and saw that it was Baekhyun walking quickly towards them.

“Am I late?” asked Baekhyun, trying to catch his breath somewhat.

“No, no. I was just early,” answered Kris.

“I hope you weren’t waiting that long.” Baekhyun looked worried. “Our teacher did not dismiss us until the last minute. I’m so sorry.”

“It’s alright,” Kris smiled at the shorter man. “I have my roommate to keep me company. Umm… Baekhyun meet…”

It was only then that Baekhyun recognized who it was that Kris was standing next to. “Tao!”

“Hi, Baek,” Tao answered with a chuckle.

“Oh, no,” said the fairy. “I forgot to properly thank you for walking me to class this morning.”

“It’s no problem at all, Baek,” Tao began but Baekhyun cut him off with a tight hug. He did notice the look of shock on Kris’ face or the way the shock was slowly turning into something fiercer.

“Um, guys,” said Baekhyun, after letting go of Tao. “Could you excuse me for a minute? I just need to go pee.”

“Sure, no problem,” Tao answered, while Kris remained quiet.

“Baek?” asked Kris, when the other man was already out of earshot. “Oh come on, Taozi. You already know Baekhyun? You walked him to class? A proper thank you is a hug? Seriously? You and Sehunnie are already dating. Why are you making the moves on Baekhyun? Sheesh! I’ve only met the guy properly today and here I find out that you two know each other and-“

“Hyung! Hyung!” Tao shook the other man’s shoulders. “Will you calm down for just a minute? Since when have you become paranoid? I know Baekhyun because he’s Sehun’s cousin. The two of them are roommates.”

“He’s… oh…” Kris was blushing hard, extremely embarrassed at his reaction.

“I walked him to class this morning because he got lost,” Tao continued. “He somehow ended up in my building.”

“But that hug!” Kris whined. “Why do you get a hug and I don’t?”

“Aren’t you getting ahead of yourself?” Tao raised an eyebrow. “You just said a while ago that you’ve just met the guy, and you already expect him to give you hugs. Just how lucky do you think you are, hyung?”

“Lucky enough, maybe?” Kris answered, cheekily.

“Yeah, in your dreams,” Tao countered.

“Hey, I’m a lucky guy! Those poker tournament crowns say so,” the older man puffed out his chest, trying to look majestic but failing hard.

“But are you lucky in love, hyung?” Tao snickered, teasing his roommate. “Even I have more game than you.”

“Aiya~!” Kris exclaimed. “Go away! Shoo! Go back to sleep in the dorms. Quickly before Baekhyun comes back and gives you more hugs. No more hugs for you. Only mine.”

“Keep dreaming, hyung,” Tao called out, as he made his way back to their dorm.

A few moments later, Baekhyun returned. “Where’s Tao?”

“He, umm… said he wanted to sleep,” Kris answered.

“Oh,” said the other guy, nodding. “I thought he would be coming with us.”

“He will not, I mean, h-he’s feeling really sleepy,” Kris managed to correct himself in time. “He needs to sleep.”

“Well, okay,” Baekhyun answered with a smile. “Lead the way, Kris.”