Chapter 1: A Kris in hand is worth three in the bush

Twisted Fates

The radio crackled before the DJ’s voice came back, “And now it’s time to announce our winner! A dinner date for two!”

“Please, pick me! Please, pick me!” Chanyeol was down on his knees in front of the radio inside the dorm room he shared with two others. “108… 108… 108…”

The image of the young man with his forehead almost touching the ground, arms holding up a ticket towards the radio, was what greeted Kris when he stepped into their room.

After closing the door, Kris exclaimed," What the-? Can somebody please explain to me why this big lug is down here?"

Tao, playing on his Nintendo, raised his eyes to the other guy and answered, "He's been like that for the past hour. The words 'pick me' and '108' are the only things coming out of his mouth."

"Pick me, pick me," Chanyeol continued to chant. "I beg you please pick 108... 108... 108..."

Tao cocked his head to the side and shrugged. Kris could only slap his own forehead in exasperation, and went inside their bathroom.

"And we have our winner!" said the DJ on the radio. "The ticket number has three digits..."

"Three digits!" Chanyeol screamed. "It has three digits! It has-"

"Yes, we heard!" Tao groaned out. Unknown to anyone else, he was merely twiddling his fingers on his Nintendo and not actually playing. He too was secretly holding his ticket in front of the handheld's screen.

The DJ began to speak once more, "The ticket number is 1..."

"One..." Chanyeol repeated after the DJ.

"0..."

"Ze-," Chanyeol repeated the DJ again, but Tao kicked him on the shoulder, "Shut up! I'm listening too!"

"Okay, dear listeners, the winning ticket number is one-zero... NINE! Ticket number 109 wins a dinner date for two!"

"Nooooooo~!"

Chanyeol crumbled to the floor in dismay. "What's your ticket number, Tao?? What is it?! Is it 109?"

"No, it's not," Tao answered, as he watched the other guy crawl up to him with a harrowed look on his face. Tao tried to hide behind a pillow.

Chanyeol crept up to Tao's bottom bunk and grabbed the pillow from him, "Don't you dare deny anything! I saw you buy a ticket! Do you have 109?? Show me your ticket!"

Tao screamed, as the Chanyeol began to tickle and wrestle him for the ticket. It was that image that greeted Kris when he stepped out of the bathroom.

"I do not have ticket 109! Hyung, help!" Tao tried to escape from Chanyeol's clutches but the other man was too strong.

"Ticket 109, eh?" said Kris, not paying any attention at all to his rowdy roommates. "What raffle was that?"

"It's the annual student body fundraising event," Chanyeol answered, still pinning Tao down on his bed. "This year, the big prize is a dinner date for two. I did not win. Kyungsoo is going to kill me!"

"Eh?" Kris answered as he finally slipped his shirt. "Why?"

"His birthday is coming up and..."

"Stop! Let me guess. You promised to buy your boyfriend dinner for his birthday, but you forgot to save money as usual and relied on the fundraising prize."

"Yes," Chanyeol once more crumbled, dark rainclouds hanging over his head.

"Well, serves you right!" Tao commented as tried to straighten his clothes once more. "If I had a boyfriend like Kyungsoo-hyung, I'll save every bit of money that I can to give him everything."

"What would you know about having a boyfriend?" Chanyeol snarled. "You don't have one anyway. It makes me wonder why you would buy a ticket for the dinner date."

"It's a fundraising event," Tao answered in defense. "I'm helping those poor orphans have some nice toys and books."

"That is bull and you know it," the other said back. "I would think you just want to eat all those food by yourself. You're just as likely to talk a stroll on the beach alone anyway."

"Nope," Kris butted in. "Our baby panda would have had a date if he won."

"Hyung!" Tao gasped in surprise.

"What?" Kris shrugged as he pulled the other leg of his pants up. "I saw you the other day holding hands with Sehunnie behind the bleachers. I could just imagine what it would be like to hear the broken hearts of the girls in our school."

Tao could only stay silent after that. Chanyeol was trying to count the days until Kyungsoo's birthday to see if he could save up enough for instant ramen at the park.

"Tao, lend me money," Chanyeol suddenly announced from out of nowhere.

"No way!" the other guy answered. "Give me one good reason."

"Because we're roommates and friends and we help each other in times of need, like when a certain roommate and friend, namely me, will not be able to get some nookie for a month if such roommate and friend would not be able to buy the boyfriend a dinner for said boyfriend's birthday."

"No!"

"But you don't have to give me that much, see? I can save up to buy one ramen. Then you can lend me money to buy another ramen, and Kris can lend me money to buy a birthday candle. It's simple!" Chanyeol's logic was definitely out of this world

"No!" Tao crossed his arms over his chest.

"I'll help you with Sehun. His brother and I are teammates."

"No! And why would you do that?! Sehun's brother is scary!"

"I beg you! Lend me money~! Kyungsoo will kill me... I promised him a date for just the two of us." Chanyeol tried grabbing at Tao's clothes again.

"Just tell him the truth, Chanyeol," said Kris, as he was fixing his hair. "Kyungsoo will understand."

"No..." the other man had a stricken look on his face. "You only see sweet Kyungsoo face when you see him. Angry Kyungsoo is ten times worse than Sehun's brother."

"Did you buy a ticket for that fundraiser, hyung?" Tao said, changing the topic and swatting away Chanyeol's hands on him.

"I think so," Kris answered, as he began to rummage around his closet. "I think my ticket number is not even close to what was announced. I bought mine quite early. I'm not sure where I placed... here it is!" 

The young man pulled his ticket out of a jacket and began to read, "Annual Fundraiser for the Hope Light Orphanage... blah blah... I can't find the ticket number."

"Right... bottom corner..." Chanyeol answered, almost robotically.

"Ahh, there it is. Ticket number 109. There, told you I didn't get the..."

"Kris..."

"Hyung...

"Wait," Kris took a step back in surprise. "Why do you two have those looks on your faces? Wait, sto~!

 

Meanwhile, two invisible beings were floating on a puff of cloud behind Kris. 

"A dash of rainbow powder and sprinkle of angel dust equals lucky dust! That's how you give good luck to your charge, understand? Baekhyun! Are you listening to me?"

Baekhyun snapped out of his reverie and quickly stood up straight in attention. He had just graduated from Fairy Academy and was interning as a luck fairy. He had spent a couple of months learning about the theories under his immediate supervisor and, today, he was assigned his first charge. The man's name was Kris Wu. It was a fairly easy task because luck fairies had only one or two charges at most to sprinkle luck on from time to time. These were the chosen few whom Lady Luck smiled upon. And it was just his luck that his assigned charge was very cute, no, very handsome.

"A sprinkle of volcanic ash and powder rainbow farts, Boss Chen!"

"No, you imbecile~!" Chen, the head luck fairy, pulled out a frying pan from out of nowhere and smacked Baekhyun on the head.

"Owww~!" Baekhyun rubbed his throbbing head. "What did you do that for, Boss?"

"Being a luck fairy is no laughing matter," Chen raised his voice in anger. "Luck is a very volatile substance. With a snap of a finger, you can easily turn good luck to bad. One misfortune could cost you your charge's life or worse. There are a lot of luck fairies who have done those over the years. There was this fairy I knew who made such a blunder and the cost was a million hits on Youtube for this song about 'getting down' on the last day of the school week."

Baekhyun tried to think how bad luck and the song were related. "But the singer is alive and well."

Chen scoffed. "But don't you just wish the 'songwriter' in her would just die? Well, so much for that. I have a couple more of instructions before I leave you to your charge."

"Uh huh... yeah..." Baekhyun answered, before stealing a glimpse at his charge just a few feet away from them.

Suddenly, Chen grabbed the other fairy's head in both hands and held it steady towards him. "I am serious this time, Baekhyun. Now, you listen, okay?"

Baekhyun tried to nod as much as he was able to move his head.

"Keep this in your mind and heart always," Chen began. "You must only use your lucky dust when you are told. You have in your possession the scroll where instructions on when to sprinkle luck on your charge are written. Do not show this to anyone else, because there are luck robbers. No matter what, never use your dust for anything other than as instructed, or there will be dire consequences."

"Will something happen when the dust runs out?"

"I am sad to say that, yes, something bad will happen when the dust runs out. As luck fairies, the dust is an extension of our lives. It is our most prized possession, which is why luck robbers hunt us down. While rainbow powder can be gathered as long as there are rainbows, angel dust can only be collected once a year on the night of the first full moon after winter. It is the night when cherubs shed off their wings before growing their adult angel ones."

"So what does this have to with the something-bad-will-happen warning, Boss?"

"A luck fairy that runs out of dust will slowly wither and fade into the shadows as the sun sets on the seventh day after his or her dust has run out. Please remember this always, Baekhyun." Chen heard a ringing sound, the signal. "I have to go. My new charge calls."

"B-b-but... I have more to ask, Boss Chen!"

A golden light began to encircle the older fairy. "You can do this, Baekhyun. I am proud to have been your teacher, and I will be even prouder when you first gather your own dust. Oh, and one more thing, don't fall in love with your charge!" With a flash, Chen disappeared.

Baekhyun pouted as he watched his charge on top of the cloud puff. He thought, 'Geez! Off Boss Chen goes to who knows where, and the last words he leaves me are not to fall in love with this man. Why didn't I just intern with the cupids? Lady Psyche would understand.'