rule three: a good thief is either smart, stupid or both.

Among Thieves

 

“Miss Amber,” the voice was deep and commanding. “Please take a seat.” The words were a request, but the tone of the dark suited man who’s face was obscured from Amber’s voice suggested otherwise. And the glare from the two stocky men sitting in the front seat made the command very obvious. She slid inside the luxury European car shutting the door behind her, refusing to show her fear. Although she was sure that like dogs, he could probably smell fear on a person.

Sitting right across from him, Amber could now see his face. He was surprisingly on the younger side and certainly handsome. But there was a very distinct authoritative aura coming from him and she knew not to underestimate him.

“So you are the famous Amber Liu.” He said while leaning slightly back into the plush leather seat and crossing his arms clearly showing off the very distinct watch on his wrist. It was gold with a deep crimson face and the watch hands were glowing white. Peeling her eyes from the man’s accessory, she answered “And you are the infamous Zhou Mi I assume?”

He chuckled deeply, “You assume correctly.”

“Tell me Zhou Mi, are your assumptions always right?” Her eyes challenged him, but her heart was beating crazily in her chest. Her body language was void of any visible nervousness (lesson one in how to fool the polygraph).

He stared at the intriguing sixteen year old girl sitting in his car before answering. “Yes, I am usually right.” He smirked, “And if I am wrong, well let’s just say no one lives to say otherwise.”

“Well you’re wrong this time,” her voice didn’t waver though felt as if it would. “My father doesn’t have your paintings.”

“My sources say otherwise.”

“Maybe you need new sources.”

Zhou Mi uncrossed his arms and leaned forward invading Amber’s personal space. When his face was inches away from her own he whispered, “Can you deliver a message for me? I wanted to pay your father a visit, but it seems as if he is already entertaining some other company.”

The hair on Amber’s back stood on end and a shiver ran though her body even though she was dressed a warm coat and the heater in the car was on full blast.

“I will do anything to get my paintings back.”

Amber had not heard the things Zhou Mi has done. She had not seen the mass murders of Chinese drug lords, the serial bank robbings, or even the massive smuggling ring, but she knew that the man in front of her was capable of some very, very bad things.

She nodded, showing her understanding.

“Good girl.” He signaled his body guards and the driver started the car and one stepped out and walked over to Amber’s side.

“I’ll give you two weeks.”

“You know we’ll take less than that, we’re the Lius.”

He couldn’t help but laugh, clearly amused by the spunky girl. “Of course.”

Her door was suddenly opened and she was promptly half lifted, half dragged out of her seat and onto the pavement. In her hand appeared a plain white business card with ‘ZM’ embossed on the front and a handwritten note on the back. Two weeks was all it had said.

▬♦▬

Amber opened the door of Henry’s bedroom without a sound. She sat on the foot of his bed when she felt him sit up suddenly and flip on the lights.

“My father didn’t do it.”

When Henry recognized the face of the intruder he relaxed and rested back against his headboard. “Funny, I didn’t hear the doorbell.”

“I let myself in, I thought I was practically family.”

He rubbed a hand over his tired face, “Security system?”

Amber let out a flat laugh, “I told you were due for an upgrade.” And she gestured toward the small bag of tools on the floor next to the window.

Henry crossed his arms and laughed while rolling his eyes. No matter how exhausted Amber was, his bare chest did not go unnoticed. She quickly averted her eyes and concentrated on more important matters than her friend’s undeniably well-defined upper body.

“My father couldn’t have stolen Zhou Mi’s collection in Hong Kong because he robbed a small gallery in Tokyo the same night.”

Henry’s small smile disappeared. “Is he still in Japan?”

She nodded. A slight look of admiration appeared on Henry’s face. “Let me guess, a stash and a tail he can’t lose is keeping him from leaving?”

“You could say that.”

“Did he tell you what he’s going to do?”

Amber lifted the blanket and stuck her feet under the covers warm from Henry’s body heat. “He had me shake his tail for him and then just he disappeared.”

He stared at her right in the eye and said, “Must run in the family.” 

 

She laughed dryly and felt her hand slip into her pocket where the edge of the thick paper brought her back to the harsh reality that she faced. Her hands pulled out the little card and she flipped it back and forth.

“What’s that?” asked Henry.

“Zhou Mi’s calling card?”

Alarmed, his feet fell to the wooden floor. “You met with Zhou Mi?” he exclaimed.

“Technically, he met with me.” Henry was not amused. “I was just walking back from meeting with my dad. He gave me a ride to the airport.”

“You sat in Zhou Mi’s car?”

“God Henry, shut up. I’m obviously fine right?”

“No, you don’t look fine.”

“Well I am.” She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. “He still thinks my dad has his paintings and he says he gives me two weeks.” Henry jumped out of bed and the still very teenaged and foolish part of Amber noticed his Captain America pajama pants.

“Nice pants.”

“Please tell me you aren’t thinking about dealing with Zhou Mi.” He walked in front of Amber and grabbed her shoulders. “Amber, you can’t possibly think you are going to solve this on your own. Zhou Mi is all sorts of evil and Uncle Yoosung said he means business.”

She waved off the comment like it didn’t mean anything, like it didn’t make dry up and her palms sweat.

“My dad is stuck with a very persistent Interpol officer and a very persistent Asian mafia leader thinks he has his paintings when he doesn’t. What else am I supposed to do?” Her voice grew raspy for once and tears pricked her eyes. (Never cry, crying shows weakness. Don’t cry unless you are using it to get something.) She drew in a deep breath and turned away from Henry.

“You’ve got to convince him that your dad is the wrong guy.”
“I tried, Zhou Mi isn’t exactly very easily persuaded.”

Henry sat back down next to her, his hand just centimeters away from her right pinky. She resisted the urge to intertwine their fingers together, seeking the comfort of someone else’s warmth on her cold hands.

“So what are we going to do?”

“We’ll give Zhou Mi exactly what he’s asking for- his paintings.”

He laughed his signature flippant-son-of-a-billionaire-laugh, “And how are we going to do that if we don’t have them.”

“We’ll steal them.”

▬♦▬

Walking through the bustling streets of Seoul, the pair both donned open coats and scarves draped around their necks. It should have been snowing, but it wasn’t and everyone felt as if they had cheated winter. The air was brisk, but the sky was clear and the sun warmed people’s faces. It was the best time to pull a con, people got comfortable enjoying the weather that really shouldn’t be occurring. A few steps ahead of Amber and Henry walked a well dressed man in a very expensive and well fitting suit, he talked into the latest smartphone and his shoes were spotless. Some would call him handsome, but Amber did have Donghae Liu as a father and spent a good amount of time with Henry and quickly learned the difference between attractive and truly handsome. An elder man walking in the opposite direction smoothly bumped into the businessman, apologizing right away while grabbing onto his coat for support. The two parted ways and soon the man stood in front of the two teenagers.

“Hello Uncle Yoosung,” said Amber.

 

You would expect one of the world’s greatest thieves to have a fancy penthouse in the city or a grand mansion somewhere in the country. Her uncle had neither, it was a homey three bedroom apartment with a large kitchen and living room. Amber had learned at a young age that rules, if you knew them really well, could be broken sometimes. Which is why Uncle Yoosung was the only one with a permanent address.

The large wooden door was opened and Amber immediately felt at home when she stepped inside. There was no way to describe the scent of the home, but everyone who had visited recognized the unique and rustic aroma immediately. The slightly grey haired man slipped the leather wallet from his pocket and threw it on an already large pile of wallets and other personal belongings. She knew if she looked there would be at least an id, some credit cards and a good amount of cash. The man had been wearing Armani of course. She also knew that the cash and cards would remain untouched with the rest of the stolen goods. He really had no need to pick pocket, he simply did because he could.

Her uncle walked into the kitchen and said, “Sit.” Henry rushed over to the large wood dining table and Amber followed behind slowly. In no time there were large bowls of kimchi stew in front of them along with huge servings of rice. Henry began eating immediately and Amber swears the boy eats like he hasn’t been fed in weeks.

She picks up her spoon and studies the worn tabletop beneath her. The greatest heists had been planned at this very table. The Korean National Bank Caper had been plotted when she was five and the plan to steal an entire factory’s Chinese silk supply was made right in this very home. That room, however was currently silent except for the slurping coming from beside Amber who was trying to figure out how to possibly ask to rejoin what she had already walked away from.

 

She was saved by the noise of the door opening and two slender, pretty girls walking in each with an armful of umbrellas.

“Amber!” They screeched when they walked into the kitchen and immediately ran over to embrace the girl who had wished to just slip back into the family. The Choi twins were not technically twins, but being only 11 months apart and clearly alike in appearance they were often mistaken for a pair. Sulli was the older and taller of the two, though Krystal’s mature looks often caused people to believe that she was the eldest.

“And you brought Henry!” smiled Sulli and Henry responded with a quick wave and the best smile he could manage with cheeks full of food. “We haven’t seen you since Bangkok.”

When he swallowed he asked, “How’s the head?” The girl giggled and said, “Completely fine, a Thai doctor stitched me up great.”

“A cute one at that!” interjected Krystal.

Amber was still stuck on Bangkok. They were in Thailand? Of course they pulled a job in Bangkok, a job without her. She pushed the thought away and focused on the strange objects the twins had entered with. She motioned to the assortment of umbrellas, “Marry Poppins?”

Krystal nodded and Sulli said, “Want in?” Uncle Yoosung cleared his throat loudly and the two girls promptly picked up their supplies and walked out of the room. “We have to catch up okay Amber?” She nodded and said softly, “Yes we do.”

 

Henry’s chair made a scraping noise as he stood up to get another bowl of the stew. Amber set her spoon down and resisted the urge to clear .

“We need your help Uncle Yoosung,” she glanced quickly at Henry before looking back to the older man. “I need your help.”

“There’s not much I can do, Amber.” He continued to eat his food. “I’m just an old man.” He feigned a very helpless tone, but Amber knew that the man in front of her was anything but incapable. She had seen him do some incredible things, dangerous things and hatch ingenious plans. It’s not that he couldn’t help, he wouldn’t.

“My father doesn’t have the paintings. He’s got an alibi, I visited him in Tokyo.”

Henry returned to his seat and took a sip of the broth before interjecting, “Zhou Mi paid Amber a little visit.”

For the first time that afternoon her uncle dropped his spoon. His facial expression did not waver, however, and she finally knew how he had won $16 billion won in a single poker game- without cheating.

“I told you to get better taste in men, darling.”

“Don’t worry I turned him down.” Amber didn’t smile. “He said he’d give me two weeks. He doesn’t care who stole them, he just wants his paintings back.”

Her great-uncle suddenly looked very old. He was nearing seventy and his grey hair clearly showed that, but never had Amber ever though of him as old. Wise and experienced was what came to mind.

“And how are you going to do that if your father doesn’t have them?”

“We’re going to steal them.” She swear she saw his eyes twinkle.

“Who is ‘we’?” He said while picking up his spoon again, instantly taking a scoop of rice.

Henry opened his mouth to speak, but Amber cut him off. “Henry and I.” She didn’t look at the boy next to her when she said, “We can do it.”
“I still don’t see how I can be of any use to you two.”
“While we don’t know where the person is or who they are,” she sat a little straighter. “We know where they’ve been.”
“Finish your food first, Amber.” She smiled slightly as she finished the rest of her stew and rice and it finally felt like she was back in the family.

When the dishes were cleared Uncle Yoosung disappeared into the large pantry, but emerged with a large roll of blue paper. When he unrolled it on the table the intricate blueprints were revealed. Amber could have told you that Zhou Mi’s home, or rather fortress, would be well secured, but seeing the specs on paper just made it that more real and untouchable.

Henry whistled the way some guys whistled at girls or cars. “The guy who hit this must be a genius.”
“Or an idiot,” said Amber.  Henry just nodded in agreement while focusing on the incredibly tall walls or the numerous guard shacks cornering the outside of his home.

When they left the familiar home it was already dark outside and the cold wind seeped through Amber’s light coat. She had really wished that she had grabbed a pair of gloves. To anyone else watching them they could have passed as a normal pair of teenagers going for a walk at night, maybe even as a couple. But they weren’t, they were just an odd pair of someone who ran away and someone who was run away from.

“Zhou Mi’s got some tight security for a private collection,” said Henry as he put one arm around her shoulder when Amber shivered slightly.
“He likes to protect his investments.”
The two walked in silence down the street. Henry spoke so softly she almost didn’t catch him say, “Don’t run away anymore Amber.”After so many years living with her family she wasn’t sure if she was lying or not when she said, “I won’t.”

▬♦▬

Macau was filled with enough lights and slot machines to rival Las Vegas. Like any other gambling capitol, visitors flocked to have a vacation, escape real life or maybe get rich off of nothing. In some ways they were no different then her family of thieves- trying to steal something that didn’t belong to them.

When Amber and Henry walked into the marbled floored lobby of the largest hotel in Macau, she knew that theory did not apply to the International Information Technology Conference that was occurring in the hotel’s main ballroom. The makeshift lecture hall was chilled by an air conditioner running on full blast and the guest speaker stood at the front with a podium. He was currently going through a hundred slide power point presentation about the benefits of HTML5.

“Is he even in here?” Henry questioned, but Amber noticed his eyes remained focused on the glass windows that showed the busy floor of the casino.
“Right there by the projector. Two rows from the left. Blue sweater vest.”

“We could wait outside until this thing is over or he leaves or something. I need to attend to some things.” He leaned in closer and Amber tried to ignore the chills his breath sent down her back even though it was warm.

“You mean play blackjack?”

Henry didn’t even bother to deny it and grinned the classic smile that must have gotten him out of even the toughest situations his whole life. “That doesn’t work on me you know.”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” but he stopped smiling.

 

Two hours later, Amber’s hands were thoroughly frozen and the speaker was currently holding a debate with one of the conference attendees about  the issue of IP address conflicts when she noticed the light brown haired figure slip out the side door of the ballroom. She quickly grabbed sleeping Henry’s arm and they silently rushed out of the room. The three teenagers occupied the empty hallway and no one inside the ballroom missed them.

“Hi Jinki,” said Henry smoothly. 

 


I finally got some inspiration/motivation to write this and hopefully I keep updating as soon as summer starts. As I have said before, this story is HEAVILY INSPIRED by Heist Society by Aly Carter. In fact about 75-90% of the plot is directly from the book. I try to mix up the dialogue and create some new plot lines, but some of the wording is just really great (while I do not copy directly) I incorporate parts of her descriptions. This is not at all 100% my own work, but I am trying to deviate from her work more and more with each chapter and I believe some of the outcomes are going to be a little different. The plans of kat and her crew are so creative that I don't think I am able to come up with new ones and might just use the ones from the book as well as the traditional 'heist names' and such. I did come up with my own in this chapter (the marry poppins if you spotted it hah). So I apologize if you have read the novel and find it incredibly similar or if you happened to believe that I was able to come up with this all on my own. But pretty much this is me just substituting henber into one of my favorite novels because I think they'd be great thieves. Okay, ending the ridiculously long author's note now & again I'm sorry for taking so long