Turning point

Just for a second....

Walking through the halls, HaNeul watched everyone going past, knowing that any day she could be rushed to the hospital.  The expression "Live each moment like your last" had never been so real until her first bout of pain.  It was a month ago when she was alone, in her room when the pain started.  She lay on the floor in agony until her brother came.

Flashback-HaNeul's p.o.v

"HaNeul?....HaNeul!! what's wrong?!"

I look up at Jinki to see the concern in his deep caramel eyes mirroring what I heard in his voice.  Getting up he carries me to the car and rushes to the hospital.  

"Please don't call mom" I whisper seeing him pull out his phone "let us find out what's wrong, she shouldn't be stressed anymore...please" I plead closing my eyes.  I don't know what compels me to hide this from umma but something is telling me to wait.

"anything for you my dongsaeng" he sighs is resignation.

Later they take me to do some tests, and Jinki goes home to cover for me.  Arriving at the same time the doctor stepped in Jinki comes to my side and grabs my hand squeezing it until it hurts.  I don't mind.  After a quick reassuring glance at my oppa's face I turn to the doctor and brace my self for the news.  I know it's bad.  Anyone who looks at the doctor's face can tell.  With tears in my eyes I ask

"What's wrong with me?"   trying not to let my voice shake

"HaNeul, I'm very sorry but what you have is pancreatic cancer.  In your case, the fatal type.  There are some experimental treatments that have worked, very rarely though, in sending the tumor into remission.  In your case, it is now more a matter of making the quality of your life better.  Out of the all patients with your type only a very rare unique few have survived.  Right now,  I would say you have three or four more months of your life left." and as he said all of this, I could see the tears shining in the doctors eyes.  Looking up at Jinki, i see his expression, mouth open and eyes wide filled with pain, as if death itself was in the room.  Letting my tears spill I leaned into him...

*End flashback*

HaNeul snapped out of her reverie as her name was called by none other than Mr. Dino.  How does he even know my name? she thought to herself.  Walking over to Jonghyun she exclaimed "Yah! How do you know my name? I sit next to you one time and you think you know me?"  She wasn't exactly being the nicest but hey, being reminded of her impending death didn't exactly make her the most amenable.  

"Oh, I just asked your friends MinAh and TaeGyun" he responded with innocent bewilderment in his eyes.  Seeing the sincerity in his eyes made her come up short

"Oh, sorry.  Today just isn't m day.  So what did you need?"

"Uh... I-i just wanted to s-see if you would eat lunch with me?"

"Ummm...sure..." 

She fell into step next to him, confused.  I wonder what he's getting at... Oh! shoot....

"Hey Di- I mean Jonghyun... I left something in my previous class... I'll meet you in the lunchroom, arasso?"

"Sure, want me to come with you?" he asked

"No, i'll be fine oppa, thanks though"

She hastily walked away before he could insist on following.  Walking to her classroom she got her binder (oh so forgetful).  As she was returning to the lunchroom another bout of agony seared through her, leaving her breathless.  This was worse than she had ever felt before.  The pain was so much, it made her black out, last thing she saw being a scorchingly beautiful face with eyes almost as black as the abyss she was falling into...

Taemin's P.O.V.

Stupid stupid stupid! you have got to start remembering your stuff Taemin! Aish!

My thoughts were cut short when I caught sight of a girl.  Thinking she might scream I started to cover my ears but was stopped when she fell to the ground, sea blue eyes filled with pain.  I ran up to her yelling 

"Nonna! Are you okay?! Noona! wake up!!"

Panicking inside, I lifted her up in my arms I feel like such a hero... Aish! Taemin! focus on the noona! Yah! the one who fainted, remember her?!

As I was studying her, I saw a resemblance to one of the clumsy hyungs at my dance studio...  I'll have to ask him if he has a sister...

Going into the nurses office, I laid her down on one of the beds and stepped aside so the nurse could look at her.  

"How did it happen?" asked the nurse in a slightly panicked tone.

"I don't know!  I was just walking and when I saw her she just fainted! Is she gonna be okay?!"

"I'm not sure but while I check her you need to call this number."

She handed me HaNeul's (her name on the page) emergency contact information.  Calling the first number I saw, a familiar voice answered.

"Yeoboseyo?"

"Yah! your daughter (I assumed he was her Appa) HaNeul has fainted and is in the nurses office!"

"Mwoh! my dongsaeng! don't move her arasso? i'm on my way!"

"Arasso, hurry please!"

Jinki's P.O.V.

Despair surged through me as I hung up the phone.  I should have known this was coming, we were actually lucky it didn't happen sooner.  Still, I couldn't get rid of the lead weight on my chest as I left class and went to her school.  My HaNeul, my dongseang, my angel. How will we live without you?

Tears started streaming down my face in both anger and grief.  Anger at the world for giving HaNeul this sickness, and grief at the thought  of losing her.  I tried to stop crying so she wouldn't see me like this.  She needed a strong brother through all of this not a blubbering boy with no hope.

When I got to her school I rushed in demanding anybody and everybody to tell me where the nurses office was.  Finally, (for me it felt like forever but it was probably only a minute or two) someone told me where to go.  Sprinting in that direction I open the door and went to her. The nurse was searching for a reason for my angel's unconciousness.  Stopping her I brought her and Taemin (I recognized him from my dance studio) to the opposite side of the room just in case she woke up.

"I don't want you telling this around school arasso Taemin?"

"Yes Hyung, I won't"

"Ok. Now you both need to keep this quiet.  I don't need this to be common knowledge, so don't tell anyone as long as she wants to hide it.  HaNeul has cancer, in her pancreas.  She will die from it in about 2 or 3 months."

I paused to see their reactions.  Taemin's eyes were surprised sad and concerned all for a girl he just met.  He was a good kid, promising dancer.  He would do just fine.  The nurse almost cried.  She would help as well.

"Okay, Taemin, as much as I hate to say it, I can't always be here for my HaNeul.  Can I count on you to watch her and take care of her when i'm not here?" a small pain filled nod was all I got in response.  Usually Taemin was cocky and so full of swagger but he looked like a sad kid in the face of HaNeul's death.  "And, you," I pointed to the nurse "don't tell our umma, and take care of her when she needs it.  Lastly, both of you can not tell her you know.  If she tells you willingly then thats fine.  I'm going to wake her up now and see what she wants to do."

I start to walk away but then I turn back as I suddenly remember something..."Oh, and Taemin?...don't fall in love with her please.  You will just get hurt." with that I went to her

"HaNeul-" I shook her gently "HaNeul wake up..." blearily she opened her eyes and asked "Oppa? umma doesn't know does she?"

"No angel, but you have to decide, do you wanna stay at school or go home?"

A line furrowing between her eyebrows, she thought.

"Oh! I need to go to lunch! Jonghyun is probably wondering where I am"

"Ooh, who is this Jonghyun?" I teased.  She blushed lightly ant the question and said "I hardly know him pabo! but I have to go! sorry you had to come during class oppa! Saranghamnida!"

She gave me a quick kiss on the cheek as she got her stuff and rushed out the door.  Looking at Taemin and the nurse I said "Well apparently she's staying.  I have to go... don't forget what I told you guys... Kamsahamnida."  With that I left...

Jonghyun's P.O.V.

"Yah! Jonghyun! gonna answer?"

"Um....Huh?"  I replied to Kibum.  My eyes were looking for HaNeul... Where is she?! a hand interrupted my vision and I looked over to Kibum.

"What!?!" he seemed startled by my tone

"Distracted much?"

"I'm just looking for HaNeul..."

"Oh, is she that girl that sat next to you? Maybe she stood you up..."

"Maybe... Yah! there she is..."  she seemed a little paler

"Yah! HaNeul! over here!"

Seeing us she started to walk towards us when a guy (kinda shy in my opinion) turned towards her and gave her a hug.  For some reason my heart squeezed a little bit.  I don't like this guy...

She came over and sat down next to Kibum.  Kibum is in my singing class.  He's 2 years younger than me, making him a sophmore.  

"Yah! so what, you give him a hug and not me?"

"Well I know him... I only met you today, for all I know you could be some serial killer" she teased with a smile in her eyes.  

"Oh don't worry, he's only killed a couple people.  And he won't kill you-" Kibum added, playing along "he likes you" in a stage whisper.

"Why don't we eat? It's lunch after all..." I said nervously, giving Kibum a death glare.

By the end of lunch I learned that HaNeul was a junior.  Her favorite subjects was ceramics and she loved cats.  She was so pretty... I kept wanting to ask if she had a boyfriend but it seemed quite rude.  I'd say today was a good day.

HaNeul's P.O.V.

Having lunch with Jonghyun improved my mood a bit.  His friend, Kibum, was nice too.  A sophmore, Kibum had the prettiest face I've ever seen on a guy.  His eyes were kinda like raw honey and his voice kinda sounded like melted butter.  I might eat with them again.  Seeing Minho made me happy as well.  He's kinda shy but really cute and smart.  I remember when we first met...