Chapter 28

Chasing Dreams

The plane taxied down the runway and began its slow journey to a halt where an elevated tunnel was in place to receive the passengers and guide them into the airport terminal.  The last two weeks in Shanghai had been heaven to Charmaine.  During the day when Raymond was filming, she would remain in the background silently watching him, admiring him.  The second his scenes were done, she would rush to his side and cater to his every wish.  To the production team she was the perfect assistant: attentive, hard-working and fun to get along with and no one suspected anything other than a working relationship between them.

They have also taken to going out as a group to dinners and karaokes.  Raymond and Charmaine acted friendly and cordial towards each other at these gatherings.  They have the perfect boss and assistant relationship.  Little did they know that at night, in the privacy of their flat, they shared a more personal and intimate relationship.

Now that they were back in Hong Kong Charmaine can't help but feel that things were going to change between them.  She had brought up her fears to Raymond but he laughed it off as nonsense.  He was confident the living arrangement he suggested would work.  They would both get quality time together and at the same time no one would ever have to know.  He also assured her that he was indeed serious about her but have no intention of going public at this time.  But that didn't mean he won't in the future.  Although he was already at the peak of his career, it still wasn't enough for him.  Raymond wants to be more than just a famed television star and pop singer.  He wants to add movies to his list of achievements.  Being a television star has its fame and glory but starring in award winning movies and getting recognition for it is his life long dream.  He won't rest until he accomplishes that dream.  Hearing the way he carried on about how important that was to him saddened Charmaine a little.  To her finding someone to love and spending the rest of your life with that person is the biggest accomplishment anyone could ever ask for.  She just couldn't understand why something as superficial as recognition could mean so much to Raymond.  Lost in her thoughts she didn't hear Raymond call her name until he was standing in the aisle in front of her seat.

"What are you thinking?" Raymond asked as he waited for her to get up.

Charmaine looked around and realized that they were the only two aboard the plane.  "Where's everybody?"

Lifting the overhead bin Raymond pulled her small luggage down before replying, "They got off already.  They're meeting us at the gates."

"Oh okay," Charmaine responded absently and took a step.

Raymond stopped her before she can take another.  Turning her around to look at him, he asked softly, "What's wrong?  You've been very quiet all through the flight."

"It's…" Charmaine opened to tell him but found she couldn't share her thoughts with him.  How can she tell him that she wanted to know how long did he expected her to be kept hidden, missing all the wonderful things a couple did, while he chased his dreams?  What about what she wants?  Does he even know what her dreams are?  These questions continue to run through her head.  From the very beginning of their relationship Raymond had been the one in charge.  He never asked but only told her how it's going to be for them.  Being so in love with him she didn't mind.  Maybe because they were in Shanghai and everything seemed like a fairy tale there.  In Hong Kong things weren't going to be the same as it was in Shanghai.  For instance, in Shanghai they were practically staying at a very remote area with a small population.  It afforded them plenty of privacy.  Hong Kong was bustling with people left and right and with Raymond being so famous he can't even take a walk without being photographed by the paparazzi.  And that doesn't even include his fans who are everyone on the streets.  So with resignation, Charmaine decided not to share any of her impending thoughts with him.  "It's just good to be back," she said instead.

Raymond searched her face and he could visibly see the strain on it.  He also knew that when Charmaine doesn't want to speak no one and nothing can force her to it.  He only hopes in time she would learn to trust him and open up to him about her feelings.  Isn't that the basic foundation of a lasting relationship?  And he was adamant about making it work for them.  He wasn't lying when he told her he was serious about her.  Lifting her hand and brushing a soft kiss on it, he said, "Let's go then.  They're waiting for us."

The production crew was waiting by the gates for Raymond and Charmaine.  Catching sight of them, Joe nodded his head and pushed the gates open.  The moment they stepped through the gates a herd of reporters descended upon Raymond.  They surrounded him swiftly, barely giving him enough room to walk.  Off to the side a group of Raymond's loyal fans chanted his name with glee and excitement.  It was madness and as they walked down the path towards the exit Charmaine found herself pushed from Raymond's side to the back.

A report stuck her microphone in front of Raymond's face and asked, "Hey Raymond, now that this series is complete is there another one with co-star Linda Chung?"

Not giving Raymond a chance to respond, another reporter asked, "While in Shanghai did your acting as lovers become real?"

"We heard that Myolie went to Shanghai to visit you… are you guys dating?"  "Is she the reason why you and Linda are not getting together?"  "What about Kenneth Ma – isn't he one of your best friends?"  "Do you know that he was seen with Myolie having dinner on more than one occasion?"

Charmaine listened from behind as these inconsequential questions continued to be thrown at Raymond, who had a grin on his face.  He neither answered nor denied the allegations in the questions, which irked Charmaine.  She heard him answer a reporter, "Perhaps its best if you ask her what she thinks of me.  I shouldn't be spilling anyone's secrets."  His response was said with such cockiness that it made Charmaine's stomach churn with unease.  She knew Raymond was only responding in a way to keep the reporters guessing but did he have to play coy at it as well.  Then again, mysteriousness is great publicity for any celebrity and it never gets old.  It keeps them coming back for more.  Charmaine understood that and does not find fault at Raymond for it.  What bothered her was that Raymond seems to be actually enjoying all this attention that to Charmaine was a nuisance.

After what seemed like forever but was actually five minutes they made it out of the airport.  The van that Joe reserved to take them all home was already at the curb waiting for them.  One by one they filed into the van.  Charmaine had someone ended up at the end of the line.  She quickly jumped in and took the last available seat, which was two rows behind Raymond.  She met his gaze when he turned around.  The look on his face told her that he knew something was bothering her.  Looking away, she stared unseeingly out the window during the ride.

The first stop was Joe's.  He got off along with two of the crew.  They have some finishing details to go over and after bidding everyone goodbye, the van took off.  Raymond's building was the third stop.  Since he was sitting in the second row he got off first.  He stood at the door and looked pointedly at Charmaine.  "We have to go over my upcoming schedule," he said matter-of-factly.

Nodding her head, Charmaine grabbed her small bag and jumped off.  They watched in silence as the van took off before turning towards his building.

Raymond cast a sideway glance at her and said softly, "I know something is bugging you.  Whenever you're ready to tell me I'll be waiting."  He walked into his building and neither spoke another word as the elevator took them up to Raymond's floor.

"Ray!" Jazz greeted as soon as he spotted Raymond stepping out of the elevator.

Raymond faltered in his step at Jazz's sudden appearance but recovered quickly, "Jazz!  When did you get back?  Why didn't you call me?"

Jazz beamed at Raymond and then noticed Charmaine behind him, "Charmaine!  I'm glad you're here too!"

Charmaine stepped around Raymond to give Jazz a hug, "It's good to see you again.  How's Auntie?"

Jazz's smile widened as he replied emotionally, "She's one hundred percent recovered.  In fact, she's even feeling better than before."  Grabbing Raymond and Charmaine's hands, he went on, "I want to give you both a heartfelt thank you."

Raymond pulled his hand away and scolded, "Why are you thanking me?  I didn't help you with anything."

Putting his arm around Raymond's shoulders, Jazz said, "Stop pretending.  I know you were the one who paid for my mother's medical bills."

"I don't know what you're talking about," Raymond said and walked into his apartment.

Stunned by the news, Charmaine stared at Jazz, "Did he really?"

"Yes," Jazz answered with a bright smile, his eyes moist.  He then lowered his voice and said, "I know Ray tends to act like a cold uncaring jerk but deep down he's a really nice guy with a heart of gold."

"Why are you guys still hanging out in the hallway?" Raymond shouted from inside the apartment.

Charmaine and Jazz exchange knowing smiles and then went inside.  Raymond was sitting on the couch, his legs stretched out in front of him as he waited for them to sit.  He looked at Jazz, "When are you returning to work?"

"I'm back as of now," Jazz responded eagerly.  "I've been away far too long and can't wait to get back into speed of things."

"Good," Raymond said with approval.  He then turned to Charmaine and said in a business tone, "You can give Jazz all my upcoming schedules and fill him in on what needs to be done."

Charmaine stared at him in shock.  Why was he talking to her in such an impersonal tone?  Fighting the urge to question him since Jazz was present; she didn't utter a single word as she stared at him with a blank expression.

Raymond caught the wounded look on Charmaine's face just before it went blank.  He had no choice.  He can't risk exposing their relationship.  Not even to Jazz.  He knew Jazz was loyal to him but that didn't mean he trusted him completely.  Anything that might jeopardize his career, Raymond wasn't willing to risk.  Ignoring Charmaine, he headed towards his bedroom but paused briefly to say, "I'm going to take a shower and unwind.  The flight was extremely exhausting.  I'll leave you two to work out the details."  He took a step but stopped again.  This time he spoke directly to Charmaine, "In case you're gone by the time I come out from my shower, I want to thank you for helping me in Jazz's absence.  I'll be sure to give you a glowing recommendation if you ever need one.  Thanks again."  This time he didn't look back as he walked into his bedroom and shut the door.

Charmaine was incapable of feeling anything.  So hurt was she by Raymond's callous way of dismissing her, she didn't see the torment in Raymond's eyes when he said those things.  If she had really believed in him she would have known that he didn't want to get rid of her and that he was only doing it so that Jazz wouldn't get suspicious.  Feeling a heaviness in her heart she still managed a smile at Jazz and said, "Let's get to work.  I'm as anxious to leave this position as you are to resume it."