The investigation (Sera centric)

The investigation

Sera panicked. How could she have thought that he would made a mistake… It’s been years that he killed those women and he never let any proofs, only body, dead body of his victims, without their hands… 
Sera had worked on this case since months now and when she found out this bar’s flyers,  close to where the woman was seen the last time, she really hoped she could find something to arrest him, that she could find this woman and help her this time. Knowing that he caught an another woman made her stomach hurt, and she almost vomit, remembering how looked the previous body they found…
So she run, without calling for help, she run to go to this bar, to know if people knew about this woman, and with who she was when she came here, but she get caught, caught by him…  
It was dark when she opened her eyes, but she saw him, she saw the craziness and the furry in his eyes. She tried to escape, but she couldn’t stay up, her head was spinning and her body was sore, he tied her at a chair, and laughed.

« With you inspector, I will make it least longer… I want you to feel your blood running out of your body slowly, I will cut your hands at the last time, when playing with you would start being boring. » He explained to her, sitting in front of her, he looked around « Usually I like to do this in my house, but I will never allow a cop to enter my dear house... So for you it will be that dirty abandoned place… » 

Sera looked at him in the eyes. « Where is she? » She asked him. It was like everything around her was moving. Her head hurt, andshe felt so dizzy.

« Who dear? » He asked making an innocent face.

« The other girl, the one who disappeared?! » She asked angry.

He started laughing. « Dead. » He simply said showing her a box with two hands in it. Sera looked away. He was a monster. « And now it’s your turn inspector Ryu… » He said taking off her shoes.

« Don’t touch me! » She said trying to move her feet away from him but she failed. « If you think nobody will find me you’re wrong. They know where I am, they will come very soon. » She said to him.

He laughed again. « Don’t lie to me dear. I was following you… You were all alone, looking for some clues, so I put a fake one for you…you were so glad to find it that you decided to proudly go at that bar alone, without telling anybody…  » He said smiling. « And now you’re mine inspector… »

Sera frowned. She felt so stupid, why didn’t she called Lee Sem? They were working together… But he was right, she was so proud about finding this flyer that she let her guard down and get caught.

Sera had fallen asleep, and woken up by her phone ringing. She yarned and stretched before picking up the phone. It was Lee Sem, the woman called her almost everyday since some weeks. She was worried about Sera. 

« Humm? » Said Sera rubbing her eyes.

« You okay? » Asked Lee Sem worried.

Sera sighed. « I told you, I’m fine. » Said Sera. « It’s not because he’s back that you need to call me every days… » She explained to her ex partner.

Lee Sem sighed too. « I know you » She said sincerely. « Promise me you will not go after him alone ever, and always stay with some co-worker. »

Sera smiled on the phone, her friend was so protective. « Don’t worry, remember I have a partner that follow me everywhere. » Said Sera thinking about the young Kyungri. « And talking about her I need to find her, she didn’t gave me her last report. »

Lee Sem laughed. « So, are you sure this is okay? » She asked one last time. « I can put some of my agent to protect you. » She said.

This time it’s Sera who laughed. « I’m fine, if he wanted me, he would have caught me earlier… » Said Sera. « And don’t worry I will not make the same mistakes again. »

« But what if he try to get closer to you to know what you find about him. » Said Lee Sem. « You were on drug when he caught you and don’t remember his face. He could try to befriend you and you wouldn’t know… » Said Lee Sem irritated by the situation.

Sera sighed. « Don’t worry about that. » She said reassuring her friend. « You will be the one I call if something weird happen, I swear. »

« Okay, be careful on your way home. » Said Lee Sem.

« Yeah don‘t worry that much you will make yourself sick. » Said Sera before hanging up.

Sera looked at her desk, all the files about the hands’ cutter were in mess, she re-read everything, looking at something to arrest him, but couldn’t find anything. She put all the paper aside and let her head rest on her hands. It’s been nights that she can’t sleep. Nights full of fear. She panicked every time she heard a noise around her. She had never really forget the man that killed dozens of women and almost cut her hands, because he was out, somewhere and nobody caught him yet. 

It’s been years that he hide, and now he came back and killed again. She looked at her wrist, the scars he made on it were still here. The monster was back.

Sera was woken up the next morning by a knock on her door‘s office. She rubbed her eyes and tried to put her hair straight before standing up. Behind the door was a young woman with glasses, a note book and a yellow bag. Around her neck were a collar with a badge.

« Pyo Hyemi… » Read Sera.

The girl nodded. « Sorry to interrupt, I work for the Seoul Register. »

Sera frowned. « I don’t work with the investigation press anymore. » Said Sera seriously, looking at the young girl's notebook.

« I know. » Said the young girl. « But look, it’s my first news report, and they asked me to work on the hands’ cutter, you’re the one working on it so I hoped you would just share any news about the case… » She said looking at Sera with puppy eyes.

The inspector frowned. « If you want any info you need to keep everything secret until we arrest him. » Explained Sera. « Promise me you won’t publish anything before we caught him? »

The girl smiled and nodded. « I promises Inspector Ryu! » She said happily.

Sera rolled her eyes. « Look I’m kind of busy right now so… » Sera looked in the corridor. « Take the elevator, sixth floor, follow the lab indication and find Moon Hyuna, ask her to show you the victim’s body and the file about the autopsy. Tell her I send you to her. » Hyemi nodded and following the corridor till the elevator before disappearing in it. 

Sera closed her door again and sat on her chair. She dreamed about him again… He wouldn’t leave her head. He hunted her again. Just when she thought she could try to live her life and forgot about him he came back...

In the lab, Hyuna looked curiously at the young journalist. « Sera send you here? » She asked not really believing the girl who nodded. 

Kyungri looked at Hyuna. « Why is it hard for you to believe her? » Asked Kyungri.

Hyuna looked at her girlfriend. « It’s just that Sera don’t work with Investigation press since years… »

« So? » Said Kyungri.

Hyuna looked at Hyemi. « Just sit here a minute. » She said to her before taking Kyungri in her office. Hyuna took her phone and called Sera.

« You're sure? » Asked Hyuna.

« Yeah, we had nothing anyway, so tell her what she want to know that’s all. And call me when she left. » Explained Sera before hanging up.

Kyungri frowned. « What’s all about? » She asked lost. « Is it a crime to work with the press? » She asked irritating by Hyuna’s comportment.

Hyuna sat on her desk crossing her legs, making Kyungri stare at her. « Sera didn’t worked with the press since the reporter who worked with her was killed. »

« Was it Sera's fault? » Asked Kyungri worried.

Hyuna swallowed hard. « Sera think is it. »

Kyungri frowned. « Who killed her? » She asked curious and a little shocked to heard that.

« The hands’ cutter… » Said Hyuna with a sad face.

Kyungri looked at the window who separated Hyuna office from the lab. « That’s why you seemed so shocked that Sera agreed to help her? »

Hyuna nodded. « I’m not sure I want to help her. »

Kyungri nodded. « The less she know, the less she’s in danger… » Said Kyungri looking at the young woman looking at the victim’s body while reading her notebook. Hyuna nodded. « But Sera want you to tell her… »

Hyuna nodded again. « She’s right, we have nothing, so it won’t hurt to try to answer her questions… »

Kyungri nodded when the phone rang. Hyuna answered, it was Sera. Hyuna looked at her girlfriend before hanging up. 

« She needs you, an another body was found just now. » Said Hyuna before sighing. « Don’t let Sera alone… »

Kyungri nodded before kissing her. Hyuna smiled into the kiss. « Call me if you need anything. »

« Yeah. » Said Kyungri leaving the office. 

She passed by Hyemi who shyly smiled at her, Kyungri bowed, leaving her girlfriend answering the reporter.

Kyungri entered Sera office and frowned seeing the girl. « You sleep here again? » She asked worried. « And what with this mess…? » 

« It’s not the time to talk, we have an another victim. » Said Sera putting a clean shirt and her jacket.

Kyungri shook her head and followed Sera. The body was found in the back alley of a bar. She was and her hands were missing. Sera looked away, sometimes seeing body like that made her sick. Kyungri knelt on top of the body. 

« She smell whisky… » Said Kyungri, before looking at . « Look at her lips. » She said to Sera. 

« The cut? » 

Kyungri nodded. « Seems recent. » She said waiting for Hyuna’s assistant to confirm. « The killer probably seduced her while she was drunk. » She said.

Sera nodded. « Just like that other girl… » She said thinking about the body they found three days ago. « But why so soon? » She asked.

« Maybe it wasn’t he’s intention, but look she’s his type. Tall, black hair… » Kyungri took a rubber glove from Hyuna’s assistant bag and opened the victim’s mouth.

Sera looked down. « She would have the same smile than me if she could still smile… » Said Sera sadly. « She totally look like the other victims… »  

They looked around while Hyuna’s assistant did his job. They found out that the woman was dead around 1PM and that she wasn’t dead here.

« Why did he put the body here? » Asked Kyungri looking around. « There is plenty of people around with that bar over here. And he usually let bodies in abandoned places… » She said confuse.

Sera swallowed hard. « It’s exactly where he caught me… » Confessed the inspector not looking at her partner. « I was going to this bar when he caught me last time, I think he’s sending me some message… »

Kyungri frowned. « Are you sure you don’t want to leave the case to an another team? » She asked worried. « You know- »

« I need to be on this case. » Cut Sera. « I need to find him, and stop him. » She said firmly. « I won’t let him escape this time. I‘m looking for him since so much time now… I will not let him scare me anymore. »

« Come back here! » Shouted a cops taking a young woman by the arms.

« Inspector Ryu! » Called the young reported who came to see her this morning.

Sera rolled her eyes, waving at the cop. She turned to Kyungri. « She remind me someone. » Said Sera smiling at Kyungri remembering the first time the young inspector arrived on a crime scene.

Sera took Hyemi by the arm and they left the crime scene. « What are you doing here? » She asked worried.

« I heard that an another woman were found, I wanted to be here to take some notes. Did you find something interesting? » Asked Hyemi curious.

Sera frowned. « It’s better if you don’t show up on scene crime anymore. » Said Sera seriously. « I told you to be discreet about this case. »

Hyemi pouted. « I just want to help. » She said looking down. « I remember that bar… it when you were caught… » Said Hyemi looking at a confused Sera.

« How did you know? » She asked shocked.

Hyemi showed her notebook. Sera took it, it looked familiar the first time she saw it, but now she remembered why. « It’s Rana’s notebook… how did you get it? The Seoul Register told me they didn’t have it… »

Hyemi smiled. « Rana gave it to me. She let a key with a letter in my office, it was a key for her locker at the gym class. The notebook were in it. »

« Why didn’t you gave it to me before? » Asked Sera angry that the notebook were in this girl’s hands all this time. « It’s important for the case! »

« In the letter she asked me to keep it secret. To trust nobody. » Explained Hyemi.

« Then why are you showing me this now? » Asked Sera again.

Hyemi took the notebook back and put it in her bag. « He’s back, he’s the one who killed her, and you seems to be the only person she trusted beside me. I learned how to be a reported with her, she was like a big sister for me, I miss her. I need to find out who did this to her. » Said the young journalist.

Sera signed. « If you want to caught him then try to not become his next victim. » Said Sera coldly.

« I’m not his type. » Said Hyemi frowning.

« Rana wasn’t either. But he killed her. » Said Sera angrily.

« Because she knew too much. » Said Hyemi. « She knew who he was, and you know too. » Said Hyemi determinate to make the inspector talk about it.

Sera looked around, Kyungri was looking at her worried. « Listen, don’t talk to anybody, and come see me tomorrow at my office. Take the notebook, I need to see something. »

Hyemi nodded. « Be careful. » Said the young journalist.

Sera looked at her. « He’s the one who need to be careful this time. » She said frowning.

Sera returned to Kyungri and they left, letting the scientists taking the body and everything that could help around the dead woman. Sera let Kyungri at the 9MS and went to her house, she took a shower and went back at work. Her head in her hands, Sera thought about what happened 3 years ago…

He ripped her shirt open, and looked at her. « You’re the prettiest. » He said looking at her body and caressing her belly, she tried to move away from him, but her head was still spinning and her body tied. He smiled, opening her jeans. She shouted for help, but he slapped her. 

« Nobody can’t hear you! » He said angrily. « I hoped you would enjoy this as much as me. » He said frowning. He slipped her jeans letting it on her ankles. He turned around, took a scalpel and came close to her. Showing his best smile to her. 

« Time to get some blood. » He said almost drooling at the idea of seeing her bleed. He took one of her hand, Sera tried to remove her hand, but he was so strong, and she felt so tired and weak. He kissed her hand and on one of her finger. « I love your hands so much inspector. They’re really y, they will be the best part of my collection… » he said entailing her wrist. He looked at the blood coming out and then he took her other hand, doing the same.

Sera felt all her strength leave her. He kissed her cheek. « Good girl. » He said before turning around and looking at an another object to start cutting her hands, like he always did. But they heard a car engine.

He looked panicked at Sera, she was almost unconscious on the floor. He took his suitcase, and put his serrated knife and all his stuffs in it before leaving the place, letting Sera in her own blood.

Someone finally entered the room, and ran to Sera.

« Sera! » Said the woman. « Sera open your eyes, the ambulance is coming, the 9MS too. » She said untying Sera who looked at her, tears in the eyes. 

« Rana? » Asked Sera not really sure the woman was really here.

« Where did he go?! » She asked after putting Sera’s shirt on her wrists to stop the blood to come out.

Sera looked at the other door. Rana let her and ran outside but he was already gone, he took Sera's car again. Rana came back inside and sat beside Sera. She took her in her arms. « He’s gone… » She said hugging the girl. « He won’t hurt you anymore. » She said trying to reassuring a trembling Sera.

Ten minutes later everybody arrived at the place, and the inspectors started looking around for some clues, but nothing seemed to be useful, the ambulance took Sera to the hospital, with Rana never leaving her side. 

When Sera opened her eyes the next day, Rana was asleep on the chair. Sera smiled, but then she remembered that this monster was out somewhere and fear rushed into her body, making the engine beside her making high noise, waking up Rana who looked at her panicked friend.

« Are you okay...? » She asked taking Sera's hands in hers. « You’re save here. » She said seeing how her friend were scared. « He won’t come back to you… »

Sera looked at her in the eyes. Rana hugged her. « You remember what happened? » Asked the journalist. 

Sera nodded. « I will never forget his face… » Said the young inspector.

Rana nodded. « I saw him too, he committed his first mistake… » Said the journalist. « I started working on a identikit picture » Said Rana. « Try to rest, I need you to caught him; like that I can have my newspaper. » She said smiling. « If you need me, call on my phone, I will be in my office. » She said smiling at her friend.

Sera nodded. « Wait. » She said before the journalist left. « Thank you, you came just in time… » She said showing her hands. « But how did you know where I was…? » She asked confused.

« I was going home when I saw him in your car, close to this bar… » She explained. « I was sure is was your car, then when her turned out the street I was you on the passenger seat, you seemed asleep. I thought it was your boyfriend or something, but you would have told me if you were dating someone so I followed him. When I saw him taking you out of the car and entering the abandoned house, I called the 9MS, they told me to not enter so I waited… » She said. « I wanted to come, but I didn’t know what to do… I not a cop, just a reporter… » Said Rana sorry that she didn’t came into that house earlier. « But then I heard you shout, so I drive closer and ran inside. »

« He took my car? » Asked Sera. Rana nodded. « Did they find it? » She asked knowing that it could easily be found because of the security system hided in the car. Rana nodded again but looked down. « What? There is no clue inside? » Asked Sera sadly.

Rana looked at her friend. « He burned it. Moon is trying to analyse your car, but in this state, I’m afraid we had nothing. » Sera sighed. « Hey… » Said Rana smiling at her. « It’s okay. You saw him, I saw him, when I get the identikit picture, we will go to the 9MS, we will find him and everything will be over, he couldn’t hide anywhere. » Said the journalist before leaving for good.

Sera stayed in the hospital two days, she hoped Rana would come to see her again but the journalist were nowhere to find. 

Sera went to her home and waited to go back to work when she heard on TV that a journalist from the Seoul Register were killed by the serial killer called « Hands’ cutter. » Rana’s photo was showed and Sera fell on her knees. She put her head I her hands and cried, cried during hours, days, hating herself for what happened. He killed Rana because of her, she was sure of it. 
The next days, Sera didn’t sleep much, every night, she would dream of Rana, of him…

So when the 9MS called her to come back work, Sera took a big decision. She entered the room where the journalists and her partner were and sat a the table.

The first question was, « did you see him, do you know who he his?» And Sera answered no, she told them she didn’t remember, she explained that she had been dope fiend, and that Rana was the only one who saw him.

« I’m sorry I wasn’t strong enough to stop him and caught him… » Added Sera looking down.

Lee Sem passed her arm around her, letting Sera hide into her to cry. Lee Sem looked at the press. « I think it’s enough, she told you everything. » She said and the journalists nodded leaving the room. « Are you okay? » Asked Lee Sem worried about her partner.

Sera looked up, her eyes were red, but not very different from before, because she‘s been crying for days now. « I can’t stop thinking about her… » She confessed. « If I… If I didn’t fell in his trap she would still be alive… »

Lee Sem hugged her. « Don’t blame yourself, Rana was very curious and always had trouble, you’re not responsible for her being close to that bar when you get caught by him. You should be happy she was here. She saved you when I couldn’t… » Said Lee Sem sadly. « I’m sorry, I should have come with you that day… »

Sera tighten their embrace. « Don’t be, you warmed me, you knew nothing were left there, but I need to look again… »

« I know, you wanted to save this girl… » Sera nodded. 

« She’s dead anyway, and Rana too… » Said Sera starting to cry again. « It was the biggest mistake of my entire life…It’s like I killed her myself… »

Lee Sem sighed. « I told you, it’s not your fault, it’s him, he was the one killing her. » Explained Lee Sem again at her friend stricken by the death of the journalist, she caressed her back, trying to reassure her. « Now you need to be strong and find him for her. » Sera nodded and let go of Lee Sem. « Are you sure you want to come back to work? » She asked not sure Sera was ready to come back after what happened.

Sera stood up. « It would be better that crying all day in my house… And you’re right, I need to find him for Rana… » Lee Sem nodded.

Sera woke up in her office again, an insisting knock on her door made her frown. She stretched her body, her back hurt so much. She hopped to be done with this case and go back to her normal life, and sleep peacefully in her comfy bed.

Someone knocked again. Sera sighed. She walked to the door and unlocked it, Hyemi smiled at her and entered the office without waiting for Sera to tell her to enter, she was wearing a cute dress, and a blue jacket. The young reported sat on Sera's desk and took out the notebook from her cute yellow bag. 

Seeing that Sera seemed shocked to see her, Hyemi started. « You wanted to talk, I’m here, so talk. » She said looking straight in Sera’s confused eyes. 

Sera shook her head and looked at her watch, the girl came earlier that she thought, but it was good, Sera needed to take a look in that notebook. « Right, I need to look at that notebook. » Said Sera. « But first, do you want a coffee? Because I really need one. » Said the investigator yarning and stretching.

Hyemi smiled again and nodded. « I know a really nice coffee shop! » She said happy walking to the door. 

Sera stopped her. « It’s better if we stay inside. » She said worried.

Hyemi swallowed hard. « Are you afraid? » She asked frowning at Sera. « Are you afraid of him? I though… I thought he was the one who should be scared now… » She said confused.

Sera sighed. « I not afraid for me, I’m afraid for you, I don’t want him to do to you what he did to Rana… » Hyemi looked down. « Look, you’re a nice and smart girl, if being a investigation reporter is your dream, I want to help you, but you need to stay alive for that. So please, listen to me and stay discreet, it’s been some days that you’re around and if he’s really doing what I think he’s doing, following me, then you‘re in danger, and you don‘t deserve this. »

Hyemi nodded. « So I can’t come see you anymore? » She asked sadly. 

Sera looked at her surprised. « I don’t know, just don’t show up on my crime scene anymore, coming here is okay I guess… » Explained Sera « I know you want news about this case and all, but it’s not worst putting your life in danger okay? » 

Hyemi nodded again. « So… » She said hesitating. « Will you tell me why you never said that you know who he is, that you clearly saw him that day…? »

« With what happened to Rana I thought it was best to not tell anybody… » Confessed Sera. « I was terrified he would come after me if he knew. » Sera looked around wanting to end this conversation. « So, coffee? We have a great coffee machine. » She said smiling at Hyemi who nodded.

Sera left her office and took the elevator, she went to the coffee machine and made two coffee, back in the elevator she meet Hyuna.

« Is it for me » Asked playfully the scientist.

Sera rolled her eyes. « In your dreams Hyuna. » She said laughing. « It’s for Pyo Hyemi. »

« The journalist? » Asked Hyuna confused. 

Sera nodded. She came closer to Hyuna and whispered in the taller girl’s ear. « She knew Rana, she have her notebook… »

Hyuna looked at her with wide eyes. « But… Nodoby find it. » Said Hyuna worried. « You told us he probably took it when he killed her. »

Sera swallowed hard. « I thought he would took it, but he didn’t, she have it. »

Hyuna frowned, and took Sera arms, stopping her from leaving the elevator. « Isn’t it a little weird that she came from nowhere with what your looking for since years? What if it’s an another trap? » Asked Hyuna. « Maybe he send her to you… »

Sera looked at her friend. « Maybe you’re right, but I need to try everything. Maybe falling in his trap again wouldn’t be that bad… »

The scientist frowned. « What are you thinking?! Are you crazy Sera? Do you really think that if he caught you again you could fight against him this time? » She yelled at her like a mom yelling at her child. Sera exited the elevator but Hyuna caught her again, pushing her against the wall of the corridor making the inspector drop the two coffee cups. « Look at me Sera! » Some people in the corridor stopped walking to look at them. « It’s not the good way! » Sera clenched her teeth together. « He will make a mistake, you will caught him the good way, not by being assaulted by him again! » 

Sera pushed her away. « He won’t make a mistake! He never did! Why would he now?! » Yelled back Sera. « Now go back to your job, and let me doing mine like I want! » She said walking away, slamming her office door while entering in it.

Sera punched the door with her fists in anger before remembering Hyemi was here. The young girl didn’t dared moving, she heard the conversation, and didn‘t really know what to say or what to do. The inspector seemed very angry. Sera calmed down and sat in her chair. « I’m sorry… » Said Sera looking shyly at the journalist.

« It’s okay… » Said Hyemi handing the notebook to Sera. « Maybe I should let you, it would be better… »

« No. » Said Sera coldly. Hyemi stood still. Not knowing what to do. « I’m sorry, you should stay, I just want to see something, then you can take the notebook and leave if you want. » Explained Sera opening the notebook. She looked at each pages, and finally gave the notebook back to Hyemi. 

The young journalist looked at her and sat back in front of her. « Maybe you were looking for this? » She said giving Sera a brown envelope.

Sera frowned. « What is that? » She asked suspicious.

« It was with the letter she wrote me. » Said simply Hyemi. « Trust me, open it. »

Sera looked at Hyemi in the eyes. Before taking the envelope and opened it. Inside were the identikit picture of the killer. Sera fell her blood rushing in her head, seeing this face again turned her stomach upside down, making her remembering what he did to her like it was yesterday. She looked away breathing heavily. Hyemi saw that Sera was a little panicked, so she took the picture and put it back in the envelope. 

« I’m sorry. » She said afraid. « Are you okay? » She asked worried. Sera nodded. Hyemi hesitated, the envelope still in her hand. « Do you want to keep this? » She asked shyly.

Sera nodded again. « It’s better if I keep it. » She said putting it in one of her drawers. 

Hyemi looked at her, Sera saw the look in Hyemi's eyes and smiled. « What are you wondering? » She asked taking control of herself again.

« Don’t you ever try to find him by yourself? » She asked.

« Did you try? » Asked Sera curious. Hyemi nodded. « So? »

« I find nothing, I’m not a cop, just a journalist… » Explained Hyemi.

Sera laughed a little. « I find him. » She said calmly. Hyemi looked at her wanting to know more. « When I get back to work after this incident, I made my own identikit picture of him, and asked some cops to find him, lying about his identity, telling he was a suspect for a hold up case. » Explained Sera. « I found were he’s living. »

Hyemi swallowed hard. « What did you do? »

Sera looked up at the young woman. « I went into his house one night when he was out. I was trembling, all my body was shaking, I was so terrified he would find me here, but I needed to do it, for Rana. » Said Sera. « I needed to find the hands… If I could find them, he would be caught. »

« Without any warrant? » Asked Hyemi confused by Sera action at this time.

« I wanted to find it myself before telling the other I remembered him and found were he lived. » Said Sera. « What if I told everybody I remember, and then we find nothing at this house. I was on drug that day, it would be hard to prove it really was him… »

« You were afraid they wouldn’t believe you? » Sera nodded. « That’s why you went alone… »

« But I find nothing. Not even a thing to make him arrested for anything, he was clean, too much clean… » Said Sera. « I keep an eyes on him during months, but then he didn’t kill anymore, and I tried to live my life, it was hard knowing he was still here, living his life peacefully, but I needed to forget, I couldn’t life in fear anymore. Beside this, I never meet him around until now. »

« He’s back, and he killed two women… » Said Hyemi.

The inspector nodded. « Hyuna is right, I just need him to make a mistake… »

« He did when he caught you… » Said Hyemi. « Because he don’t know you remember him, and that I know how he looks too because of Rana. »

Sera nodded. « Right, but officially it didn’t help… »

Hyemi was about to add something when Sera’s phone rang. She picked it up and talked a little then she hang up and turned to Hyemi. « A young girl is missing since that night, she’s tall with black hair, the police called us immediately because it could be him. » Explained Sera sadly. « I need to go. I’m sorry, you know the way out? » Hyemi nodded. « Okay, I go then. »

Sera opened the door for Hyemi and let her in the corridor, running to pick up Kyungri. Hyemi looked at Sera leaving before re-entering her office again, closing the door behind herself.

Sera entered the lab and looked around. « Kyungri? » She asked entering Hyuna’s office, but the girls weren’t here. Sera dialled Kyungri phone but ended on her voice mail. She didn’t try to call Hyuna, she was probably still angry at her anyway. 

So the inspector decided to go alone, but when she was about to enter her car, Kyungri knocked on the window. Sera smiled at her and opened the door. Kyungri entered and sat on the passenger seat.

« Sorry… » She said to her partner. « But don’t dare going anywhere without me. » She said hitting Sera on the arm.

« I went to the lab, and called you! » Said Sera turning her engine on and started to drive to the police station who called her.

« You didn’t even went in my office! I'm sure you didn't even remember I have my own office now! » She said smiling but then Kyungri looked down. « What happened with Hyuna? » She asked shyly.

Sera swallowed hard. « We had a fight, but it’s okay, I will talk to her. I’m sorry if I made her angry. »

Kyungri frowned. « She was more shattered than angry… » Said the younger woman. « She didn’t told me, she just wanted me to hug her tightly and asked me to never do something stupid even if it for a good reason… She's still in my office… »

Sera felt guilty. « Don’t worry, I will talk to her. » Kyungri nodded, trusting her partner.

At the 9MS building Hyuna what reassured when Kyungri called two hours later. They found the girl, she wasn’t missing, she just wanted to ran away with her boyfriend. They had find them save in a train station and taking them back to their house.

The scientist finally left Kyungri office, and meet Hyemi in the elevator. 

« Still here? » Asked Hyuna coldly. She didn’t trusted the young journalist.

« I’m about to leave. » Said Hyemi smiling.

Hyuna looked at her suspiciously. « Aren’t you waiting for Sera to come back? »

Hyemi frowned. « I would love to, but I have work to do. » She said before the elevator open at the first floor.

« Wait. » Said Hyuna following her. « Don’t mess with Sera. And stop following her around like a fan girl. » She said coldly. « She don’t like it, and don’t have time for things like that. »

« But I just… I just want to help her, I admire her work so much, and she‘s really nice. » Said Hyemi confused by the scientist who were so nice to her the first time they talked. 

« You’re not helping. You’re confusing us. Confusing Sera. I don’t want to know what you’re trying to do, but just stop. Sera don’t care about you, and will never agree to work with you like the did with Rana. » She said angrily. « So stop playing that game, stop trying to seduce her or something by playing the innocent girl adoring her because she will never fall for it. »

Hyemi blushed. « I…I- » 

Hyuna smiled « She’s not playing in the same team than us so get out of her life and let her alone. Don’t waste your time, your little crush on her will go anywhere. » She said turning around, but Hyemi frowned. 

« Don’t talk for her when you know nothing! » She said irritated. 

Hyuna turned around, this girl was very cute, even when she was angry, but she was so suspicious, it was weird that she was always around Sera like that.

« I know Sera. » Said Hyuna looking defiantly in the journalist’s eyes. 

« And I know Sera more than you think. » Said Hyemi getting closer to Hyuna. « I can see that you want to play the protective big sister, but you don’t need to warm me, I won’t listen to you anyway. » Said the young woman leaving the 9MS building for good this time.

Hyuna stood still, looking at the young woman left, she sighed and shook her head. This girl was really weird and Sera trusted her… The scientist turned around and waited for the elevator when someone called her.
She could have recognize this voice even in the middle of hundred people calling her. It was Kyungri. Hyuna turned around and smiled at her girl, but her smile fell when she saw Sera shyly walking behind her partner.

The elevator closed, Hyuna sighed and pressed on the button again. Then she looked at Sera. « Aren’t you with your little journalist? » She asked coldly.

Sera rolled her eyes. « Please, don’t be like that… » She said before getting closer to Hyuna. « Listen I’m sorry, you’re right, I will get him the right way, I won’t do anything stupid… Okay? »

Hyuna nodded. « Don’t dare doing something that stupid or Kyungri will kill you. » Said Hyuna serious.

Kyungri looked at her girlfriend. « What? »

« It has to be you honey, you can be very scary sometimes, I’m too cute and beautiful to be a murderer anyway. » Explained Hyuna putting her hair back.

Kyungri frowned. « Did I have a murderer head? » She asked confuse.

Sera started laughing. Hyuna nodded. « When you do that look you’re very scary… » 

« What look?! » Said Kyungri frowning again.

« That one honey… » Said Hyuna « The one you do when I ask you to wash the table or take out the trash… » Explained the scientist while Sera was laughing even more.

Sera looked at them, smiling, this two were the perfect match. « We should go back to work before it’s time go home. » Said Sera. Kyungri pouted but followed the girls in the elevator. 

Hyuna get behind Kyungri and back hugged her. « It’s scary, but also very y when you do that look… » She whispered before kissing her cheek. 

Sera rolled her eyes and left them to go in her office. When she entered, something seemed different. Hyemi perfume was floating in the air, and her desk looked even more in mess that before. Sera frowned, she looked into her drawer, the brown envelope was missing. She looked at the files on the desk and find the ones she didn’t let here.

Her personal research about the hands’ cutter were open on her desk and she for sure didn’t let them here. Nobody knew about those files, and she hided them in her personal drawers. Somebody had find them and read them. 

The first thought that traversed her mind was him… Did he went into her office to find out what she knew? Could he come here? Sera looked around, to be sure nothing had been touched or stole. But everything seemed fine beside this files and the missing identikit picture. She closed her files and put them back in the drawer. 

Somebody out there had find this and knew about the hands’ cutter. Sera shivered… What if he found out…? 

Then her mind focused on the perfume. It smelled very nice, and Sera smiled, she kind of liked that smell. The perfume could tell you about Hyemi’s personality, it was nice, gentle, sweet… just like the girl.

Sera frowned, maybe Hyemi was the one who touched her files… The girl probably wanted to find news. Sera took her phone and dialled Hyemi’s number.

« Pyo Hyemi. » Said the girl answering her phone, loud noise behind her.

« This is Sera. » Said the inspector wondering where the young girl could be, probably somewhere with lots of people. « I want to know if it you who touched my personal file? » She asked directly. Hyemi didn’t answered right away. « So do I need to conclude it was you? » Asked Sera waiting for Hyemi to answer her.

« I’m sorry… » Said Hyemi. Sera could barely heard her because of the loud music. « I just wanted some information… I was curious to know exactly what you knew about him and i needed the picture… » She added.

Sera sighed. « You should have asked me… » It was late and Sera didn’t had the strength to fight against the girl. « Anyway, be careful and please next time just ask me…okay? »

« Yeah, I’m really sorry… it won’t happen again. » Said Hyemi. Sera smiled, the girl seemed sincere. « Sera? » Asked Hyemi. « Will you stay at your office late tonight? »

« Why? » Asked Sera raising her eyebrow. « Do you want to stop by? »

Hyemi laughed. « No, but please, stay at your office tonight… »

Sera frowned. « Why? » She asked worried. 

« I may need your help later… » Confessed the young girl.

« Wait. » Said Sera. « Where are you? What are you talking about?! » Asked Sera really worried.

« Just trust me. » Said Hyemi before hanging up. 

Sera dialled the journalist number again, but ended up on her voice mail. It was almost 9PM and Sera didn’t know what to do… did Hyemi wanted to go to his house? It was really stupid if she did that, but Sera did it once so the inspector ran outside, but just before reaching the street when they parked the car earlier she couldn’t find her keys. She rolled her eyes and ran back inside the 9MS building. She took the elevator and entered the lab, running into Hyuna’s office.

« Kyun- »

Sera cut herself and hide her eyes immediately. Kyungri put some clothes on and blushed seeing that she get caught by her partner. Hyuna just smiled before putting her white blouse on.

« Don’t be shy Sera. » She said teasing the inspector. Kyungri looked embarrassed.

Sera holded out her hand without looking at the girls. « Kyungri, my keys please. » She asked.

« Right… » Said Kyungri looked around for her coat, she found it and looked into the pockets. « Sorry I forgot you give them back to you. » Said Kyungri.

Now that Kyungri had her licence, Sera let her drive the car. « It’s okay. » Said Sera quickly taking the keys.

Hyuna frowned. « Where are you going? » She asked curious to see Sera in the urge to leave.

« It’s Hyemi, I think the will did something stupid… » Said Sera. « I need to find her and stop her. »

Hyuna looked at Kyungri then at Sera. « And you’re about to go alone?! » Sera looked down. « Kyungri. » Said Hyuna coming closer. « You should go with her. » Kyungri nodded and kissed Hyuna.

Sera Rolled her eyes, she needed to find Hyemi very quickly. « Come on! » Said Sera waiting for the girls to break the kiss.

Kyungri shyly let go on Hyuna and followed Sera, putting her clothes adequately. But Hyuna stopped them. « Wait! » She said making the two inspectors stop. « Be careful. » She added worried. « And Sera. » She looked at her seriously. « Don’t let anything happen to my girl. » Sera looked at Kyungri with a smile and nodded.

The elevator seemed to go so slow, Sera was about to lose her patience. Then they finally went out of the building and ran into the street, to see that the car wasn’t here. Sera frowned. She knew that she couldn’t park her car there but she often parked here and nothing happened to her car.

« Sorry… » Said the young inspector.

Sera shook her head. « It’s not your fault, I told you to park here. » She said taking her phone. She called the car pound, and after twenty minutes Sera finally got the right to have her car back.

She looked at her watch. « Maybe we should ask Hyuna her car. » Said Sera worried. « I can’t wait until they bring back my car, I already lost so much time… »

Kyungri nodded and they went back into the building. « I will ask Hyuna, just try to call Hyemi again? » Said Kyungi running into the elevator.

Sera waited in the big hall for Kyungri to come back. The took her phone and called Hyemi, but she was still on her voice mail… Kyungri finally came back with Hyuna’s keys but Sera’s phone rang. The inspector looked at the ID. 

« Who is it? » Asked Kyungri seeing the confused look on her partner face.

« The police station. » Said sera picking up the call. « Inspector Ryu. »

« Here the police station, we call you because of a fight in a bar. » He said.

Sera frowned. « We’re the 9MS, we don’t investigate about fights… » She said irritated to be bothered by them in the wrong moment.

« But a tall black haired girl was the reason of the fight, we thought you could be interested to know... and maybe want to come and take a look… » He said shyly.

Sera sighed. « Fine. » She said. « We’re coming. »

Arriving on the fight place, Sera frowned. The cop lead her to a guy with blood all over the face, his nose seemed broken and he had a black eye.

« What happened? » Asked Kyungri.

« I was here drinking, and I saw this beautiful girl entered, she sat at the counter here. » He said showing one place. A yellow bag was hanging on the chair.

Sera walked to the chair. The took the blue jacket on the floor and looked at it closer. She even smelled it. It wasn’t a coincidence. « Kyungri. It’s Hyemi. » She said sadly. « Hyemi is the girl. »

Kyungri excused herself and walked to Sera. « Are you sure? But her hair are not black…»

Sera nodded. « Blue jacket, Yellow bag… » She said opening the bag. « The notebook… » She added looking inside. « It’s Hyemi, black hair or not, I’m sure. She probably dressed up to be her type. » 

The guy came closer. « You know the girl? » He asked curious.

Sera nodded. « She’s a journalist. She work with us. » She explained, she opened the bag and found the brown envelope. She took out the picture and showed it to the guy. « Do you know this man? » 

He frowned and nodded. « He’s the one who hit me. » He said. « He left taking the girl by the arm. » He explained.

« Why did he hit you? » Asked Kyungri not understanding what really happened here.

« The girl. » He said. « He was hitting on her, but when he left to go to the toilet, she came to me and asked me to help her take a ride of him because he was bothering her. So when he came back I sat with her and offered her a drink, I thought he would just leave seeing she was with me now but he get angry and we started fighting. » He explained.

Sera nodded. « It was her plan… »

« What? » asked Kyungri.

« She try to make him do a mistake. » She said. « We can have his DNA now because of this glass and the blood on this guy face and hands. » Said Sera looking at the poor guy. « We need go to his house. »

« What? Why his house? » Asked Kyungri.

« Because it’s were he take his victims. » Said Sera.

Kyungri frowned. « He didn’t take you in his house… »

« Because I’m in the police. He hate cops and everything. » Said Sera. « And she know that I know. »

Kyungri looked down « We don’t know yet who he is, where he lives and can’t go there without a warrant anyway… I will be hard to save her… » Said Kyungri looking down. « I know that Hyuna work hard, but she need times to confirm his identity. »

Sera walked to her car, followed by Kyungri. « I know him, I know where he live. » Confessed Sera. « And I will caught him before he hurt Hyemi. »

Sera looked at the car and gave the keys to Kyungri. « You drive faster than me. » She simply said looking at her partner.

Once in the car, Kyungri drove at the address Sera gave her. While they were driving, Sera opened the notebook and wrote the address and other information she had bout him.  

« What are you doing? » Asked Kyungri looking a her quickly still focusing on the road.

« Rana, Hyemi and I knew about him since a long time. » Said Sera. « I lied to everybody when I said I didn’t remembered him. I knew who he was, but had anything to prove it was really him. »

« And? » Asked Kyungri.

« Now we had all the proofs. » Said Sera. « With Hyemi’s help, we will caught him for good. »

Kyungri nodded. They stopped in front of the house. Everything was dark. Sera looked at the house, the same one she entered one night to look at some clues. They knocked but nobody answered. Kyungri walked around looking inside, but it seemed empty.

« Are you sure it’s here? » Asked Kyungri following Sera who was walking around the house. 

Something caught Sera eyes. Like some lights. She pushed a plank and saw a little widow in the ground level.

« A basement… » Said Sera shocked. « Why I didn’t thought but it. » She asked herself. « They’re in the basement. » She said to Kyungri.

Sera went to the back door and broke a window to open the door, they entered. She send a text to Lee Sem, she needed help. They looked inside.

« Look for a door or something. » Said Sera. « We need to find how to go in this ing basement. » She whispered. 

They looked everywhere and didn’t find anything. Sera was more and more irritated and almost fell because of the carpet. The little carpet looked weird. Sera kneeled and tried to lift it but he was stuck, she looked closely and understood it was a fake one, she asked kyungri help, they puled together on the carpet and opened a little trapdoor.

Sera took her gun out and entered first. Kyungri followed, they took the stairs and faced an another door, Sera turned the handle and opened it, she could hear some noise, and recognized Hyemi’s voice calling for help. The door and the walls around were so thick that any noise could have been heard from the house.

Sera entered the basement and opened an another door, seeing Hyemi tied and looking at her with wide eyes. Sera walked quickly to her.

« Watch out! » Said Hyemi to sera but he's went behind her and hit her head making her fall on the floor. « Sera! » Shouted Hyemi.

 Kyungri pushed him away and pointed her gun to him. « Don’t move or you’re dead. » She said to him. Still keeping her gun pointing at him, she knelled and looked at Sera, who opened her eyes and touched her head.

« That bastard hit me again… » She said sitting and taking Kyungri’s hand to stood up. Sera came closer to Hyemi and untied her. Kyungri didn’t moved. « Go behind her. » Said Sera to Hyemi who listened and went behind Kyungri. Sera walked to him and handcuffed him.

« It’s nice to see you too inspector. » He said with a smile. Sera hit him in the stomach making him kneel on the ground. She hit him again with her foot. « It’s for Rana. » She said hitting him a second time, then again and again letting all her anger leave, by hitting the man who made her life so hard. 

« Stop! » Said a strong voice.

Sera quickly turned around, it was Lee Sem. « Good job girls. » She said looking at Sera and then Kyungri. « Get him to the 9MS. » She added looking at the man groaning in pain on the floor. « My agents an I will look around the house and the basement. »

Sera nodded. They went out the house, some police cars were parking in front of the house. Sera put the killer in one of the car. « Take care of him. » She said to her co-worked who nodded.

Sera turned around an looked at Kyungri and Hyemi. The young inspector was making sure Hyemi was alright. Sera walked to them.

« Everything okay? » Asked Sera. Hyemi nodded. « You know that what you did is very dangerous? » 

« But you caught him right? » Said Hyemi smiling.

Sera frowned. « It’s not a game, he could have killed you before we find you. » Said Sera.

Hyemi hugged her. « But you find me, I knew you would. »

Sera awkwardly hugged her back. « And take off this stupid wing, it don’t suit you. » Said Sera felling the fake hair on her face. Hyemi laughed. Sera looked around, Kyungri was on the phone with Hyuna. « We should take you to the hospital, just to make sure you’re alright. » Said Sera walking to the car. She put her hand in Kyungri’s pocket and took the keys.

Three days later, the girls assisted at the trial. And Eunji made sure he was sentaced for life. It wasn'r hard, Lee Sem agents found everything in the basement, his hands colections, his tools and even videos showing him torturing women.

After the trial, Sera smiled at Eunji and sat beside her on a brench in front of the court. 

« Thank you. » She said. « I’m reassured to know he will never leave the prison. » Said Sera.

Eunji smiled at her. « You did the hardest part. » Said Eunji playfully pushing her with her shoudler.

« No Rana and Hyemi did. » She confessed. « Without her I would still be waiting for him to do a mistake… »

« Who is this Hyemi? » Asked Eunji cirious.

Sera looked at the young girl, talking with Hyuna and Kyungri about a new teory she had about the death of the old man they’re investigating on right now.

« Her article will be published tomorrow. » Said Sera still looking at the young girl.

« Will you work with her now? » Asked Eunji looking at her friend.

Sera shook her shoulders. « I don’t know, she put her life in danger… I don’t want her to be hurt or something, but… »

« But what? » Asked Eunji with a smile.

« She’s smart and she had very good intuitions. The way she work remind me of Rana, and I liked working with her you know, she was like a sister to me too. » Explained Sera staring at the younger girl.

« Are you sure that’s all? » Asked Eunji. 

« What do you mean? »

« I don’t now, you have some trust issue but you seem to trust her. » Said Eunji confused. 

Sera looked at her friend. The lawyer arched an eyebro at her. « I kind of saw in her eyes that I could trust her the first time I meet her. » Said Sera seriously. « And she look at me with this look like I’m the best person in the world, like I’m a hero you know, I like this feeling, knowing that she admire me make me believe in myself more… »

« I understand, then keep her around. » Said Eunji standing up. « I have work to do » She said smiling at Sera. « Good luck, and see you around » She said winking at her.

Sera stayed on the brench, thinking about everything that happened. Now and since a long time, she could feel at peace. The fear she kept inside of her all this years finally diseapered and she could breath again. Sera smiled, she was happy.

« Sera!! » Called Hyemi waving at her.

Sera shook her head and walked to their friend.

Hyemi looked at her with a mischievous smile. « You own me a coffee inspector. » She said looking at Sera in the eyes.

« Yeah, so why not going together, the four of us. » Said Sera smiling. « I heard about a nice coffee shop. » She said looking back at Hyemi who smiled.

They went to the coffee and sat at a table. Hyemi went to the bathroom, and Hyuna excused herself, following the journalist.

« Hey Hyemi. » Said Hyuna entering the bathroom. 

« What? » Asked Hyemi still a little impressed by the woman in front of her.

Hyuna smiled. Hyemi was definitely cute, whatever she do. « I’m sorry about the other time. I was afraid for Sera and was mean to you… »

« Oh… Okay… »  Smiled Hyemi. « I’m sorry too…I shouldn’t have to talk to you like that… I was a little jealous… »
 
Hyuna started laughing. « Don’t need to be. And welcome into the team. » She said with a wink.

« What? Which team? An investigating team? » Asked Hyemi all excited about the news.

Hyuna rolled her eyes. « The gay team! » She said laughing. « But good luck with Sera, you will need to work hard to get her into the team too » Hyemi blushed. « Come one, don’t be that shy. » Said Hyuna putting a arm around Hyemi. « Kyungri and I will help you. » She said smiling.