The Engagement

Two Path, One heart

Who am I? I am a girl with dark brown hair with bangs. I have brown eyes. Yes, it’s all natural, rare for an asian to have natural brown. I am 18 years old. I’m a senior in High School, in Korea. I am actually chinese. People say I’m kind and sweet. I work in a restaurant as a waitress. I’m shy and insecure, after losing my mother I’m all alone I’m (Lee)Li Sno.

“Sno!” Mina called out. I stopped in my tracks and turned around to see Mina running toward me. “Sno.” She said again, catching her breath. Jang Mina is my boss’s daughter. She is consider to be the goddess in our school. She has a goddess like figure and her light brown hair seems to flow so perfectly. She has a small face and big light brown eyes. They’re contact lenses, but that’s her secret. She is the teacher’s pet and every boy’s dream girlfriend. 

“Yes?”

“You’re my best friend right?” She questioned as we started walking to lunch together. 

“Yes, I already know that, now what do you want this time?” I sighed with a smile. She always tries to get on your good side before asking for something. 

“Well, this junior guy asked me out on a date today...so, can you cover me for work?” She linked our arms together and begged again. “Please? Sno~” She pouted and whined. 

“Ok ok, fine. But it’s already the 3rd time this week!” I gave her a glare. 

“I know, but I’ll make it up, promise.” 

“And he is younger than you, I thought you like older guys.” I teased. 

“Sno, I already dumped almost all the boys in our senior grades already.” She rolled her eyes and scoffed. “Plus, I got a good feeling for this guy, even though he’s younger.” 

“Ookay~ Whatever suits your boat.” I shrugged as we walk into lunch. I pulled out my wallet and search for some cash. I pulled out a five dollar bill. Even though I work hard, I don’t get pay as much as I want. I usually spend my paycheck on rent in a small apartment while 90% of whats left goes into my saving for college. I get pay monthly but I have to make that 10% last through the month till the next paycheck. 

I gave in to my growling stomach and purchased a sandwich for $2.00. Lunch in this school is expensive. This is mainly were the higher class sociality kids go to school at. Not that it’s a super expensive school, but about 40% of the kids are rich, like Mina. 

We sat down at our usual table, just the two of us. Mina looks out for me like a sister, we are best friends. We share secrets but not all of it. We talk over the phone every night before bed and laugh. She would often get yelled at for being so loud at night, and we fight, but we always make up the next day. To me, she was already family and I’m glad to have her. At lunch we often catch up with each other, talking about teachers and if anything unusual happen in our classes. 

“Sno, guess what?” Mina beamed with joy. 

“What?” I asked taking a bit of my sandwich. 

“So, there is a new boy band that came out. It’s call EXO K.” She squealed happily. 

“So? What’s so cool about that?” 

“Omg, the boys in it are sooooo hot! I mean, like seriously! They are as cute as the people in the school gang, M.” She sighed and flipped her hair and rest her chin on her hand. There is a gang in our school called the M. They consist of 6 “hot” boys from our school. Their leader is Kris and they get away with everything they do. Boys are scared of them while girls fall for them.

I just rolled my eyes. “They aren’t that good looking.” 

“Sno, you never think anyone is cute. Your exceptions are just high. I mean, I like anyone who is good looking.”

I stuck my tongue out at her and ignore her comment. Throughout the rest of the lunch period she talked about EXO K and how her bias is a guy name Chanyeol from it. I half listened and half didn’t. I wasn’t interested in boys right now. I devoted my life to study and work. Ever since my father left my mother, that’s all I’ve been doing, work and study. After she died, it’s still all that I do. Soon lunch is over and we head to our last two classes. 

Kris is in my last class, English. Kris can speak 3 languages, Korean, English, and Chinese. (2 type of chinese) This means English class to him is like a piece of cake. While me on the other hand, struggles. 

“That,” The english teacher said.

“Dat,” I repeated after him. The teacher sighed as Kris chuckled in the corner of the room. I hate English. 

“TH-at!” The teacher said once again. I tried to concentrate on his pronunciation but I just couldn’t get it.

“D-at!” I repeated again. He rub his forehead as Kris burst out laughing. The bell ring just in time before Mr. Jung could scold me in front of the class again. Everyone left as I stood there still packing up my things. 

“Yah, dat girl.” Kris called out by the door. I ignored him. He walked up to me when I didn’t reply. “Hey, what’s your name?” He asked. 

“None of your business.” I replied coldly as I begun to walk pass him but his hand caught my arm. 

“If you need tutoring with english, I'll consider if  you beg me.” He said with a smirk and walk pass me.

“Jerk.” I mumbled and gave him a dirty look. What’s so attractive about him? Blonde hair, narrow face, tall, gray eyes and that stupid smirk  always on his face. I don’t find him attractive at all. Nope, I hate him. Hate how he can get away with everything and is every teachers’ pet even though they know he’s a gang leader. A spoil rich kid is what he is. 

I rush to my locker and saw Mina texting on her phone by my locker. “Sorry I’m late!” I said quickly opening my locker and shoving some books in there and took some out and jamming it in my backpack. 

“It’s okay. Hey, I won’t be walking home. My new boyfriend is going to take me to eat.” Mina said still texting on her phone. She glance up at me and smiled. 

“Oh. Ok, I guess that’s fine.” I spoke softly. 

“Sno, you’ll be fine! No one is gonna come and kidnap you,” Mina said sighing.

“But, Mina, you know that I’m scared to-”

“I know I know, but it’s only for one day. I mean, what are the odds of something happening?” She pats my back and gave me a smile. 

“Ok, fine but you owe me.” I said slapping her arms gently. 

“Sure, I’ll be off now! Can’t be late! Talk to you later.” She took off just like that. I grabbed my jacket and head off too. The way home was about 20 minutes. Sometimes, it seems that no one walks the route I take. I have to walk through a quiet neighborhood where elderly people mostly live. That’s when Mina and I usually talk and joke about things at school or plan what to do when we get home. 

Today without her, it’s awfully quite. Silence fills the air and I can hear my own breathing and footsteps. I shove my hands in my pocket and look down at my shoes as I walk. Then, I hear footstep other than mine coming from behind. I turn back to look but saw no one. I begin to worry a bit. I continue walking and the footstep continued too. I walk faster and faster but only to hear the footstep behind get louder, closer. 

I felt someone grabbed my arm and as a reflex, screamed. I shut my eyes and shouted, “Let go! Please don’t hurt me!” Then that person let go of me, follow by a yell. 

“God! What the fu-” The familiar voice shouted. I open my eyes to see Luhan on the ground with blood on his lips. 

“Lu-” I started but someone stood in front of me and block my view of Luhan. 

“Are you ok Miss?” The deep voice asked. I looked up to have my eyes meet with another pair of dark brown eyes. His eyes were big, he was tall with dark hair, very noticeable ears and his shoulders were broad with a very slim figure. His skin was fair and flawless. His lips are slightly full; the kind that you would want to kiss.

“I-I-...” I blinked once, then again. His eyes got me mesmerized. 

“What the hell Sno?!” Luhan shouted and I snapped back. “Who is he?” he asked and pointed his finger at the guy standing in front of me. 

“Don’t touch her!” The guy grabbed Luhan’s hand and twisted his arms behind his back. 

“Ahhh!” Luhan screamed in pain. I quickly rush by Luhan and gently pushed the stranger’s hand off. 

“It’s ok, he’s my friend.” I said softly. 

“Oh..S-sorry, I heard you screamed and I thought he was-”

“Was what? God damn, who are you anyways?!” Luhan yelled. 

“Ok stop, sorry. I thought he was someone bad so I screamed. But he’s my friend. Thanks..” I lower my head to apologize.

“It’s ok and sorry about hitting you” He said to Luhan. Luhan avoided his gaze. “Sorry.” The stranger bowed and give a small smile. God his smile was so breath taking! “I gotta go now. Take care.” Was all he said before taking off down the street and turn around the corner. 

“Luhan!” I quickly turn my attention back to him. “Oh my god, are you ok? You’re bleeding.” I cupped his face and gently wipe the blood off his mouth. Luhan is a member of M. He is different from the others though, he’s considerate, and warmhearted unlike the other spoiled rich members of the gang. He’s like a big brother to me, he look out for me without the others knowing. I honestly don’t know how we even became friends, considering he’s my only guy friend I have. Perhaps it’s because he is also chinese that we got close to each other.

 

“Who was that guy?” Luhan asked with an annoyed face as he rub his arm. 

“I don’t know.” Now that I think about it, he looks very familiar, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. “What are you doing here anyways?” 

“I overheard Mina talking to you and about you walking home alone. I just wanted to make sure you’re ok.” Luhan smiled and wraped his arms around my neck. I playfully push him away and laughed. 

“Stop oppa, you know I don’t like it when guys touch me.” 

“Ok ok, I also heard Kris teased you in English class today.” 

“I don’t really care, he’s a jerk face.” I rolled my eyes sighed. “So are you gonna walk me home or not?” I smiled and started walking. 

“Sno, this is serious. I mean if Kris actually want to do something to you, he can and will. No one will be able to stop him.” He stated as we walk together. 

“Why would he ever be interested in do something to me. I mean, I’m so unnoticed by people.”  I shrugged. I grip both my hands on the backpack strap. 

“It just might be that very reason, because you’re not being notice by people. Kris is very unpredictable. Or...” His voice trailed off. 

“Or?” 

“He likes you.” Luhan said stopping in his track and look over to me. I stopped too and gave him a blank face. Then I burst out laughing. 

“Oppa, you’re so funny! Hahaha! Kris? Likes me?” I smack his shoulders. 

“Yah! It’s possible!” Luhan made a mad face. “Aish! Stop laughing!” 

I took and deep breathe and tried to stop laughing. “Ok ok.” I smiled cheerfully at Luhan. I wasn’t going worry about Kris. I don’t ever plan for that stupid poop from ever being a part of my life. “Let’s go oppa!” We started walking again and about 5 minutes later, we stood in front of my apartment. “Thanks for walking me home oppa.” 

“No problem.” Luhan smiled ruffling my hair a little. 

“Oppa!” I smack his hand. “I have to head to work soon.” 

“Alright alright.” He gave a small grin. I turn and open the main door. “Sno!” I turn back to him. There was a slight pause before he said, “Be careful.” 

I stuck my tongue out at him and ran into the apartment. I’m grateful to have a friend like Luhan. A brother who would look out for me, I couldn’t ask for more.

I live on the 2nd floor room 121. Most people who live in my apartment are all middle age people. Some have really obnoxious kids that would run around the apartment all the time. The room has 1 bedroom, a small kitchen, living room, and a bathroom. As soon as I open the door I throw my backpack on the small sofa I had in the living room and quickly went into my room to change into my work uniform. I check myself in the mirror making sure I look professional enough. I smile at myself and grab my cell phone in the living room and head out. The restaurant was in the city, which means it’s about another 30 minute walk. I decided to take my bike instead. 15 minutes later I arrived at the restaurant. 

“Sno!” Mrs. Jang called out as I park my bike in the back. 

“Hi Mrs. Jang!” I waved to her with a smile and she did the same back. 

“Sno, where’s Mina?” She asked as I walk toward her. 

“Ah- She said she was going to stay after school to study a bit more.” I lied. 

“Oh, aish, that girl. I’m sorry Sno to have you work a little more.” Mrs. Jang pat my back slightly. “Here, I made some brownies today, have a little snack first before you start.” She said leading me into the kitchen. “Theses are Mina’s favorite. They taste really good.” Mrs. Jang cut me a piece of brownie from the pan and set it on a plate. 

I thank her as I took a bite of the brownie. “Mm! These are good Mrs. Jang!” I said nodding. It was sweet but not too sweet, the softness making you want more. 

“I’m glad you like it.” Mrs.Jang beamed. “Ah, I should get back to work, when you’re finish please get ready too.” She smiled as she pat my shoulders and walked out of the kitchen. 

“Alright, I’ll be right there!” I shove the rest of the brownie in my mouth and signed in. I quickly grab an apron and went out into the dining room. The dining room was bright and painted tan, red curtains decorate the room along with expensive looking antiques. Only high class people can afford to eat here so the room is filled with people wearing suits and dresses. Everyone is well mannered, we never have a single complaint. 

A couple of hours went by, it was almost 7:00pm. 

“Sir, would you like more water?” I asked with a smile.

“Yes, please.” He replied back and turn back to talking with the people sitting at the table. I took his glass, poured some more water in it and set it back down carefully. “Thank you.” He nodded.  I nodded and smile at him once again and return back into the kitchen to get food. 

“Sno!” Mrs. Jang called out as she rushed towards me. 

“Yes?”

“In the party room right now is 6 people. Now, they are very valued customers and since Mina isn’t here today, I need you to service them and only them for tonight.” She said with a serious face. 

“But why me?” I questioned confused. There are about 15 other waitresses, why me? Just because I’m Mina’s friend?

“Dear, you’re the only one I trust and you are way better than the others. So please.” She answered handing me a pair of white gloves. “Here, wear these, it’s more clean and professional looking.” With that, she went out into the dining room. I sighed and put on the gloves. I fix my apron making sure it looked neat and clean and headed into the party room. It was a little private room where businessmen can have dinner while talking about private things. It’s sometimes used for mini parties too.

I open the door and bowed my head down, “Hello, I’m Sno and I will be taking care of you tonight.” I lift my head up and someone caught my eyes. It was that stranger. The one who punch Luhan today. I froze for a second and we stared at each other for a moment with a surprised expression.

“You’re that girl-” He started but the women who sat next to him cut him off.

“Chanyeol dear, you guys know each other?” She spoke in a soft tone. Chanyeol?! The name clicked, he’s that one member from Exo K, the band Mina was telling me about today. No wonder he looked familiar. 

“Ah- well-” He said but this time I cut him off. 

“No madam we don’t. I think he’s mistaking me for someone else.” I smiled at them. Chanyeol wore a black suit with a red tie. Sitting next to him was another guy. That guy has light honey brown colored hair wearing a similar suit to Chanyeol’s. He look like another member from Exo-K as well. Sitting next to them was 2 middle aged couple, that must be their parents. 

“Uh- yeah, perhaps, sorry.” Chanyeol nodded. I gave them a small grin and took their order and drinks. They talked and laughed as they waited for their food. I was right, Chanyeol is from Exo-K. The other guy was named Baekhyun who is also a member of Exo-K. 

As I finish serving their dishes, I went out the room and closed they door behind me. My phone vibrated in the pocket and I quickly took it out. Mina? What is she calling me for? I went to the bathroom and answered. 

“Mina?” 

“Sno! I just got a text from dad, he said Chanyeol and Baekhyun from Exo-K is there right?!” Mina shouted in the phone. 

“Ah-, yeah.”

“I’m on my way!” and she hung up. I sighed and shove my phone back in my pocket. A few minutes later Mina arrived. I was standing by the main door waiting for her. Mina came rushing in with her hair curled and styled. She wore a very y strapless black dress that stops a little above her knees. 

“Sno! Where are they!?” She shouted in a whisper grabbing my arms. 

“In the party room B.” I replied with a surprised expression. 

“Ok good, get my dad, I’ll be in there.” Then she quickly took off. As she rushed pass by the tables, others looked at her as if she was crazy. I smiled to myself, thinking how silly she is over boys. I went inside the kitchen and called Mr. Jang over. I told him that Mina arrived and that she awaits him in the party room B. I trailed behind him to the room. 

“Mr. and Mrs. Park! How nice to see you guys again.” Mr. Jang said with open arms as soon he walked in. A smile immediately spread across Mr. and Mrs. Park’s face as they both got up to embrace Mr. Jang. 

“My, it’s been almost forever!” Mrs. Park chuckled. 

“Please. This is Mr. and Mrs. Byun. My son’s best friend's parent.” Mr.Park introduced. 

“Ah yes, please to meet you.” Mr. Jang said with a smile and walked over to shake both of their hands. “I see that you have met my daughter.” Mr. Jang said to Mr. Park indicting Mina who is sitting next to Chanyeol. 

“Oh yes, she is a very beautiful and kind girl. The last time I saw her was when she was just 8 years old. My, how has she grown to be so beautiful.” Mrs.Park said, praising Mina. Mina blushed and glanced over to Chanyeol who smiled slightly. 

“Now, Mina and Chanyeol.” Mr.Park started. “There is a reason why we came here today.” He glanced over to Mr. Jang and they both exchanged look and nodded. “Chanyeol, now you and Mina will have to start to spend a lot of time together. Mr.Jang and I both agree that you two will be engage.” Mr.Park said with a wide smile. For some reason I was shocked by this, the smile on my face faded away. Why am I not happy for Mina? Mina on the other hand, smiled joyfully and flushed red. My eyes wander down to my shoes. I glance up and look at Chanyeol. Mina’s arm was intertwined with Chanyeol’s while he only smiled slightly.  

Baekhyun got up and excused himself from the table for a second and came up to me. “Miss, can you show me the bathroom?” He asked with a small smile. 

“Ah- yeah.” I nodded and forced a smile. I led him out of the room and showed him where the men’s restroom is. 

“Hm. Ok.” He said still standing by me. There was a slight pause and he stared down at me. I avoided his eyes.

“Is there something on my face sir?” I finally asked looking up to him. He let out a sigh. 

“You like Chanyeol?” He asked with a straight face. His question was so direct that it caught me off guard for a second. 

“What? N-No! Not at all! I don’t even know him.” I replied shocked. I was right though, I don’t even know him. Although he is good looking, I know nothing about him. A smile then slowly came on Baekhyun’s face. He sighed and looked down at his shoes.

“I saw your expression change immediately after Chanyeol’s dad announced his engagement. It must of been very shocking to Chanyeol as well. I thought that you guys might have known each other and that you liked him.” He said now looking at me. 

“No, I don’t know him.” I replied biting on my lower lip. 

“It wouldn’t be shocking if you did like him, I mean he got quite a lot of fan girls around him. But I’m glad you don’t like him.” He said smiling. I didn’t really understand his last words. I blinked at him confused. “Well, we’ll meet again.” Baekhyun gently patted my head and walked back into the room, leaving me standing there dumbfounded. 

I had no idea what the hell just happened. I shook it off and went back into the room. Mr.Jang was just about to leave with Mina. I asked if they needed anything and they said no. Mina then dragged me out after Mr.Jang left. I found ourselves in the lady’s restroom.

“Sno! Can you believe what just happened?!” Mina squealed. 

“About you and Chanyeol?” 

“Yes! O-m-g! My dream just came true! Apparently we were childhood friends, but I can’t remember anything, maybe because he wasn’t good looking younger. But oh my freaking gosh Sno! I’m engaged now!” She squealed again holding my hand jumping up and down. I smiled and hugged her.

“I’m glad you’re happy. I wish you so much happiness.” I whispered in her ears. I was happy for her, but another part of me wasn’t. I choose to support her and I felt like my feeling right now for Chanyeol is false. I only liked him because he saved me from what he thought was a bad guy. I believe that Chanyeol will be happy with Mina. A question came across my mind. Chanyeol is an idol, are they even allow to date?