Tolerance Overload

The Carpenter
 
Sunggyu didn't like seeing his family member looking all worried and uncomfortable throughout dinner. Hoya had came home at eight and had also felt the presence of worrisome in the room. He asked Dongwoo what was wrong with everyone but Dongwoo only said he would explain everything when the two of them were alone. He didn't know why he did that, but it was mainly because he didn't want Nana to worry by repeating what was wrong.
 
Woohyun however, was in his own world - too tired himself to even notice what was wrong with everybody. He came home, showered, ate just one slice of pizza and collasped on his bed. He had an early morning shift the next day and had to leave the house at eight. Sunggyu tried asking again what was wrong but all he got was silence. Nana didn't even bother saying anything and tried sleeping peacefully in Sungyeol's arms, blocking out everything that she was afraid of.
 
And prayed that Hyuna would visit her tomorrow.
 
Hoya was shocked at the updated information that Dongwoo had filled him in. He had overheard in the afternoon everything that Hyuna had said and linked the two conversations together. He looked around their house and sighed. To think their lives had just turned peaceful, it was going to be busy now. Hoya wasn't complaining, Hyuna was Sungjong's friend, therefore their younger sister. They didn't care if they didn't know her. The logic was that simple. And elder brothers protects their sisters, always.
 
Myungsoo and Yvonne didn't want to care at all. Though they dislike it when Sungyeol and Nana was so quiet and refused to tell them anything, they couldn't possibly forced the words out of them.
 
Sunggyu was uncomfortable and sad that no one wanted to tell him what was wrong. He hated it when they kept everything to themselves. Yet at the back of his mind, he had other matters to take care of. He looked up at the ceiling and thought of Hyuna's face. Would she be coming back tomorrow, would he see her again?
 
Wait.
 
Why was he thinking about her in the first place? He sat up from his computer chair and shook his head. He had only saw her a few times - two times actually - and at the most three minutes per time. Why was he feeling this way then? He wanted her to come, but felt bad every time he was pushing her away. But why was she so persistent?
 
It was driving Sunggyu crazy. He had hoped she would not appear so that he didn't need to reject her time after time. And yet, he wanted to see her. Gosh. He was really losing his mind.
 
"She won't come tomorrow. I don't want to see her."
'No you hope she comes tomorrow and you want to see her.'
"I don't!"
'You're fighting a losing battle then.'
 
 
"Whatever!"
 

 
To Sunggyu's hidden happiness, Hyuna came everyday to his shop. Only to hear the things she didn't want to - how he didn't need any extra help and she would leave only to return the next day. Hyuna brought something new everyday. So much so that there was a shelf just for Hyuna's crafts. But if this continues, he would soon have a rack full of her crafts. All the items were exqusitely done. He had never done glass blowing before and had absolutely no idea how the glass items were made.
 
Honestly, he wanted to bring some of the things home, but he knew it would be wrong. Rejecting her and then take her things, that doesn't sound right at all. That would make him a bad guy, a huge one.
 
 
 
Hyuna's craft were so adorable and pretty that Sunggyu suddenly felt inferior about his own skills. She was capable of doing prettier and lively things whereas all he made were just clay pots and wooden stuff. He just wasn't as creative as Hyuna. It was starting to get on his nerves, surprisngly. So now, everytime Hyuna came over, he would either just push her out and not accept any more of her work or just ignored her the whole time.
 
It hurts Hyuna every time Sunggyu ignored her because firstly, she wasn't able to get a job and secondly, the guy who she thought could understand her plight actually turned his back against her. She hated it too but she couldn't bring herself to find another shop. All her insipration had came from Sunggyu's stop. The moment Hyuna walked in, she immediately had new ideas for her work. It was tiresome to see Sunggyu ignoring her.
 
But she wasn't giving up.
 
So after every time Sunggyu rejected her resume, Hyuna would walk dejectedly into Sungyeol's cafe and order a big cup of chocolate frappacino and pouted in the corner. Nana would ask her what was wrong and her answer would be,
 
"The owner rejected my work again."
 
Nana thought the owner was blind. He was probably ugly and mean too and told Hyuna to find another job somewhere else since the owner was so terrible. Hyuna defended Sunggyu and said he was handsome and wasn't mean at all. Well, until recently at least. Nana pitied the younger girl. The two of them became good friends. Dongwoo and Hoya were always happy to lend a listening ear or shoulder. Yvonne and Nana did girly things with Hyuna as well while Sungyeol and Myungsoo just watched over them.
 
The only two that didn't know Hyuna was Woohyun and Sunggyu. Woohyun was excuseable because the hospital was just so busy recently that he didn't even have time talk to his brothers when he came home. Most of the time, he would rather stay in the hospital and get a few minutes rest in his office. He didn't come home three days straight once and when he did, all he did was to tell Sungyeol he had already eaten and went to sleep.
 
Woohyun looked extremely tired but Sunggyu just assured them it was just the cycle.
 
"The cycle?"
 
"Yep. Every year at this period of time, the accidents and injuries rate would rise. I noticed the cycle after the eight year. For the first five years I had thought it was because of his parents that he overworked himself. But after clearing that matter up, I realized it was the crime rate and accidents rate. Just don't bother him and let him sleep. He'll probably remain like this for the next two weeks. Just leave some food in the fridge, he would appear in the middle of the night and find it, trust me."
 
Everyone was slightly more assured after Sunggyu's explanation. But it didn't stop them from getting worried for their second brother. Then again, that's what he gets for being a doctor. A hardworking one nonetheless.
 
 
Sunggyu didn't know anything about Hyuna going to the cafe and had prevented himself several times to find out everything about her on his wonder computer. He would be a stalker if he did search. He liked her, he admitted that just a few days ago. Although she didn't make his heart flutter too much, he still like seeing her everyday, even if it's just a few minutes, or a few seconds now since he would push her away. He didn't want to love her.
 
Love wasn't good for him.
 
He didn't know that everytime he had rejected Hyuna's application, she would walk right next door to sob and get comfort from his family. The worst being, he didn't know his sister-in-law was cursing and swearing at him inside her mind. Since he didn't go to the store in the morning and Hyuna would only appear when he was in his shop.
 
By lunch time, he would sometimes appear in the cafe or his brothers had mentioned his name about who was bringing lunch to him. And yet, before that time, Hyuna would have already left for her afternoon job.
 
As for Sungyeol and the rest, they too did not know that the shop Hyuna was interviewing and trying her best to get into was their brother's store. They made several remarks about wanting to bash the guy who always made their little sister sad up, but then, they didn't know they were actually thinking about hiting their own brother. Who used to be a gangster no less. It was tiresome for everyone., not because of Hyuna's whining, but because they hate to see her disappointed.
 
Yet, she was always even more motivated when Sunggyu rejected her. She wanted to show Sunggyu she was good enough. And yet, Sunggyu was tired of rejecting and seeing her work because it discourages him.
 
 
It was one whole, big, huge, cycle that no one knew of. It was the game of life, and God was playing with all of them.
 

 
After two long weeks of rejecting, pushing and saying no, Sunggyu had finally, finally, had enough. Hyuna's presence and face was haunting him everywhere he went and whatever he did. It was a pleasant distraction. Yet it was killing and slowing his pace at work. He was losing some business because of that. At times, he thought whether to tell his brothers about this, but it was just frustration to just think about it.
 
So, on a perfect day in Spring, Hyuna brought her latest creation and walked in Sunggyu's store the moment it opened. Sunggyu was already waiting for her. He tried to put on his angry mask, but seeing her face was like seeing fresh flowers everyday. Hyuna would always give that cheeky and adorable smile and greeted him cheerful.
 
"Sajang-nim. I'm here again!"
 
It makes him feel awkward since he being called that back in his old company. She was wearing that same beanie when he first saw her and the same bag as well. The paper bag in her hand, he could only assume she made it herself as well since he had about ten of those bags here. She was so bubbly, so cheerful even though he pushed her out of his store many times. And somehow deep inside, he felt bad. He looked up and saw her smiling while bouncing her way towards him.
 
 
She opened the bag and took out her newest creation. Sunggyu was in awe as usual. It looked gorgeous and adorable. A teacup set. Although Hyuna had only managed to take out one cup before Sunggyu stopped her. She looked at him sadly and knew she was about to get kicked out of the store once again. She resorted to pleading once more.
 
"Please Sajang-nim, please let me work here. I can do a lot, I don't mind taking out the rubbish or anything, I just want to work here. I made these within two days and didn't stop because I thought maybe you would like this. I really hope you could hire me. Please please please. I really want to work here."
 
"Hyuna."
"Yes Sajang-ni-"
"Don't ever call me Sajang-nim."
 
"I-I.. I'm sorry. I promise I won't say it again. Please give me a chance. I'll work till I bleed, I can try getting more customers for this store too. Please give me a chance!"
 
"Why do you want to work here?"
"Huh?"
 
"I asked, why did you want to work here? It's small, it's cramp and there's only enough space for one of us. I'm a small shop with myself as a worker. I don't pay a lot, I have a horrible temper and I can't compete with the bigger companies. I can see, from the first plate set you brought here that you're extremely talented. Yet, you didn't want to work in a better place. Why?"
 
Hyuna was surprised when she heard the owner talking to her. His voice sound like a warm breeze and she found out that she'd enjoyed listening to his voice. She thought about what Sunggyu was asking but in truth, she didn't know the answer. She gave a sad smile.
 
"I walked by your store about two month ago. It was in the afternoon and I was just walking aimlessly. When I passed by your store, I could see you working from your glass window, you were handling a purchase with a family. I saw that they were buying your toys and you were smiling. When the customers came out, they were similing so happily and it warmed my heart.
 
I had actually stopped crafting a while ago, almost for two years actually because my hands couldn't work. I don't know how to explain it but I just couldn't bring myself to make another cup or another toy. I just couldn't. For two years, I battled with myself, trying my best to make something, anything. But everytime I picked up my metal rod, I would drop it, because I was scared. I lost my parents and grandparents in the same year, and I had lost my hands because of a stupid school accident. I lost my will to craft.
 
When I tried to work again, I realized I couldn't anymore. I had lost my dream when I lost the family I loved. They were everything to me, they were my dream. Crafting was my dream as well. But when they died, my dream died with them.... I.. I can't tell you how painful it was but I did try my best to make something. But I walked in here, one day, with my resume in hand. This place made me feel like working again. I feel happy and passionate about my dream once more.
 
When you rejected my application the first time, to tell you the truth, I was elated. Because when I walked out of your store, all I felt was determination and motivation. I was motivated to make something, to show you my abilities and I was determined to make you change your mind. It was a feeling I hadn't felt it a very long time. And I enjoyed making things again. I even enjoyed getting rejected of my application because I could go home and make new things to show. I know it sounds silly but it's true. Everything I said was true."
 
Sunggyu sighed when Hyuna was finished. He had never felt useless like Hyuna before since he knew there were people that needed his help. He didn't feel like he lost everything when Hanuel or Sungjong left. Because he knew inside that there were people that depended on him. Like Sungyeol and although Sunggyu was equally sad that Sungjong had left, he couldn't grief because Sungyeol needed a strong support.
 
Yet, he could only imagine how lonely Hyuna was. Even though they had lost Sungjong, he still had Woohyun, Dongwoo and Sungyeol. Hyuna had nothing. And being in that lonliness would do harm to people. And so, Sunggyu did something that he wouldn't normally do. He gave in to his needs and did something that he had been dreaming of all night.
 
He hugged her.
 
Hyuna stiffened as Sunggyu's arms wrapped around her. Her cheeks pressed against Sunggyu's strong chest and she inhaled the familiar wood scent that she often found on herself. Sunggyu pressed his cheek against Hyuna's hair and inhaled that her rose scent shampoo scent. One hand tangled in her hand and the other on her shoulder. He patted her shoulder and told her everything was fine now and don't have to think of the bad stuff. Hyuna was surprised beyond words.
 
Sunggyu then seperated himself from Hyuna and cleared his throat while brushing his hair with his fingers.
 
"You can work here."
 
"What?"
 
Sunggyu blushed.
 
"I-I said, you could work here. I'm hiring you. You can make a variety of goods for the customers. Just tell me what equipment you need so that I can order it for the workshop. Add the materials and your size for the apron too. And.. well you know this better than I do, just tell me what you need and i'll get it as soon as possible. When can you start working?"
 
Sunggyu got no responses. He looked up and saw Hyuna still staring at him with her jaws dropped. She was stunned obviously. And Sunggyu thought it was adorable in some ways. Heck, everything she did was adorable to him. His hand automatically went to close her jaw and he smiled at her.
 
"You alright? Too happy?"
"Y-Yea! I'll write the list now."
 
Hyuna wrote down everything she thought think, her brain was still registering that she had finally gotten the job that she couldn't think fast. When she was done, Sunggyu took the list and nodded his head. Most of the things were attainable. He then thought of something which made him paused in motion.
 
"Wait. You have equipment at your home right, why don't you just bring it over? Since you're going to be spending most of your time making in this store anyway. What do you think?"
 
Hyuna thought for a while before nodding her head. Sunggyu wrote down two sets of number and passed it to her.
 
"This is my number and the mover's number. Call the bottom number and said I called you. They would know what to do. Just tell them what they need to move and it would all be done tomorrow. Don't worry, I know them well. I'll pay so you don't have to worry about payment. When can you start work?"
 
"Uhm, tomorrow morning. I need to quit from my current job."
"Current job?"
 
"I'm working as a waitress now ever since I came back. Didn't want to idle too much. I'll see you tomorrow. Thank you so much for letting me work here. It means a lot to me, it really did!"
 
Hyuna was ready to bolt out of the store so that she could express her happiness without making a fool of herself in front of Sunggyu. She was at the door when Sunggyu called her back.
 
"Oh, Hyuna?"
"Yes?"
"My name is Sunggyu, Lee Sunggyu. I just realized i've never told you my name before so it would be weird if you called the movers and not know my name. Got that?"
"Yep."
 
"And text me your number later. I-I'll need to know where my staff is if you're late."
 
It was just a simple request and for a valid reason. But Sunggyu was sweating like bullets and his heart was beating fast. He didn't know he was blushing and it was too dim to notice anyway. But Hyuna just smiled and winked at him.
 
"I will."
 
 
 
From afar, Lee Sungjong watched as his best friend walked out of his Sunggyu's stop. He saw Hyuna do a happy victory dance while  Sunggyu groaned and blushed while also smiling to himself like an idiot. Sungjong laughed as he  went back to Heaven. His family's life were going to be much livier than before. It was only a guess. But he was hardly wrong anyway.
 
 


 
 
PS. So I have the weirdest habit of updating only in the middle of the night or midnight. The times I update in the afternoon or morning is actually really rare. So if you're sleeping when I update this, I hope this update comes as a surprise or a present for a new day. Is everyone waiting for this chapter? Hope you liked it!"
 
//wink-wink. Till the next chapter, xoxo.