Middle School

Four-leaved Clover

It was the starting of winter season. The scenery in Korea changed from the brown and rusty colour to plain, white and pure looking. The trees seemed to have shed their leaves. The seaside that used to be filled with loving couples was now abandoned. The weather was starting to get chilly as the transformation occurred.

A cold stethoscope was placed on the boy’s chest which was stained with a long, old looking scar in the middle of it. Silence filled the room as the younger patiently waited for the doctor to finish what he was doing.

“So… How am I?”

The doctor placed his stethoscope down. “Stable. You’re alright.”

The boy flashed out a smile as he buttoned up his blue polo shirt.

“Great! My seventh stay here is overrrrr.” He cheered as Mr. Kwon rolled his eyes. He keyed in the boy’s health information into his computer.

“You still have to come here every two days. Take you medicine. Avoid exercise.” Minhee’s father told his most frequent patient like a robot.

“Yes, sir!”

“Oh, and no sweet and salty foods.”

“Ah, I know that. Don’t nag me.” And with that, the teen grabbed his jacket and patted the doctor’s back saying, “Kay, bye.” And left.

Dr. Kwon scoffed and leaned on his leather chair.

“So he thinks he’s all grown up now?”

The man scoffed once more before continuing his work on his computer.

 

*****

 

The black haired boy walked happily as he exited the hospital. The wind blowing his slightly hair backwards, making him look slightly better than he already is. He was walking towards his school when he saw a figure leaning by the handle of the stairs. The said person’s brown hair was tied up neatly into a high ponytail with cute bangs. A black-red checkered scarf wrapped clumsily around her neck. The girl was listening to her ipod with her school bag hung on one of her shoulders. She was staring up in the sky, completely unaware of the other’s presence.

The innocent faced boy stared at the girl for a few more moments before calling out for her.

“You came for me, Minhee?” the boy asked but received no reply from his friend. Assuming that she probably couldn’t hear him with her earplugs on, he decided to approach her instead.

“Minhee~”

“Minhee!”

“Be nice and call me Minnie like how you used to.” She told Baekhyun as she twined her earplugs around her ipod thus keeping it in her pocket.

“What for?” The boy questioned, making Minhee glare at him for a while.

“You were much more sweeter when we were kids.” She mumbled and then continued their journey to school. Baekhyun just shrugged and followed the girl.

“What did Appa say?” Minhee asked as Baekhyun took her hand.

“He said that I’m okay and I can go home again.” He told her with a smile.

“Hey, Hyunnie, have you grown taller again?”

“Yup. Being hospitalized doesn’t stop me.”

“You’re becoming a man.” Minhee stated with a teasing tone, leaning her head on Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Is that such a bad thing? You’re growing too.”

Minhee pouted.

“Your is like twice as big as it used to be.”

“Bwoh!?” She yelled knocking Baekhyun on his head as the other chuckled.

 

*****

 

The boys were competitive with their game. At first the team with the green jersey was winning but when girls cheered, the other team seemed to gain more enthusiasm to work hard. The blue team ended up winning ahead with two goals. Girls squealed and chanted the players’ names, making their school coach shut them up.

Inside the school building, the hallways are empty. Not one lingering soul in there. This is because all students must be in class during study hours. The same goes for the students in Class 2, Grade 9. Students’ personalities vary in the class. As we know it there’d always got to be that study freak, that sleepy head, that always hungry and etcetera. And Minhee just happened to be the one who’s known as I-don’t-give-a-damn-about-what-goes-on-in-class.

Their bald English teacher was done writing some crap (that was what it was to Minhee anyways) and he placed the chalk down. He turned to look at his students.

“Now who will translate this for me?”

 His eyes looked around, scanning for a prey.

“Minhee, you do it.”

Minhee mumbled a small ‘eh’ before standing up slowly. She placed her pencil down next to her English notebook which was filled with doodles of the English teacher. As the teacher mumbled around class, explaining about the history of languages, Minhee nudged the person beside her.

“Yah, Baek, help me.”

“Therefore Mary said that you should chain your key and wallet up.” Baekhyun translated the whole sentence perfectly, without a mistake.

Minhee cleared , stopping the professor from mumbling and spoke aloud,

“Therefore Mary said, you chain your key and wallet up.”

The English teacher nodded. “Well done, Baekhyun.” He said, making the couple surprised.

“Actually, this was a pretty tough one. It’s taught in highschool and you are just in middle school.  I’m impressed.”

“Thank you.” Baekhyun replied proudly.

“But, you, Minhee.”

Minhee looked down and pouted slightly.

“You’ve got to stop relying on Baekhyun all the time. You’re all alone during your entrance exam.”

“I know, sheesh.”

“Okay, then.” Their teacher replied unamused and Minhee sat back down.

 

*****

 

The basketball flew across the court as a long haired boy threw it, trying his best to make it enter the basket. But he failed, making one of the opponent team players get the ball. They threw and threw but it never managed to get in.

Baekhyun scoffed at the players. He was sitting down beside the teacher as he watched them played unprofessionally. Everyone else was wearing their P.E. clothes except for him. He was still in his full uniform with the tie and all. He rocked his chair with a bored expression and then decided to look at the girls’ basketball game instead. The guys’ one was so boring anyways.

He turned his head back to the other side of the gym. His eyes spotted Minhee and continued looking at her. The girl got the ball, bounced it for a moment and shoot. As expected, it went in the basket and she scored her team a three-pointer. All her teammates cheered as they went to her and patted her shoulder. Baekhyun couldn’t help but smile at the scene.

 

*****

 

“So who’s the target?”

“The most rewarding one of course.”

The metal pail that was brought by three guys were soon filled up with tap water.

“Sounds awesome!” the third male replied.

The bell rang and recess has started. Some students rushed out to get food before it ran out and some when to find their friends to have a chat together.

“I’m stravinnggggg.” Minhee groaned, telling her two best friends who were right behind her.

“Then let’s go get food, pabo.” Her favourite girlfriend knocked her in the head making her classmate giggle. Minhee turned to look at them and pouted. All of a sudden, a big splash of water was thrown at the three of them. They let out a short yet sharp scream before rubbing their eyes, looking at the culprit.

“Whoops. You alright?”

“We were just going to mop the court.”

“Are you guys crazy!?” Minhee yelled at the three notorious students.

“Hey, you guys look! It’s pink!”

“Hahaha that’s awesome!”

The girl stared at them for a moment, not getting what they’re saying but then she realized that since she was wet now, they could see through her white shirt. And when the meant pink, they probably… Minhee squatted down immediately, using her knees to cover her chest as her friends tried to handle the situation.

“Yah! You pigs better apologize!” Her classmate shouted.

“Why should we?”

“You did it on purpose!”

“It was an accident~”

“No way was it an accident. Apologize!”

Minhee would have joined the argument but seriously she wasn’t feeling a bit comfortable like this. She actually wished for them to stop so that she can just freaking change. She started shivering when a coat was placed on her. It was an all too familiar coat since it was the school’s but judging from the smell, she knows it’s Baekhyun’s.

“So it wasn’t on purpose?” Baekhyun’s loud voice boomed across the hallway.

“Y-Yeah, it was just an accident.” The ‘leader’ of the gang stuttered and with that, the three scurried off. Best not mess with this dude they thought. But that didn’t satisfy Baekhyun enough. The fact that they lied and didn’t forgive those girls – particularly Minhee – was unforgivable. Before they even got far, Baekhyun pounced on the mastermind of the gang. People saw and started screaming and gathering around them. Baekhyun started punching him and two guys tried to drag him away from the victim.

But it was no use. Baekhyun punched the other two before he continued to attack the guy yet again.

“Why did you do it to her!? Just leave her alone!” He yelled at the other’s face. He heard someone say, “Go get the teacher.” In the background but he didn’t give a damn. Well at least he didn’t until Minhee started pushing him away from the poor guy.

“Baekhyun! Enough!”

Baekhyun tried to continue but he couldn’t, not when his girlfriend said not to. So he stopped. Baekhyun panted, trying his best to catch up his breath as he held his chest. Minhee hugged him, caressing his hair, whispering.

“That’s right, I’m okay, Hyunnie. I’m fine.”

 


 

Mianhe! I went overseas, so sorry for the delay!

-dreamteamace