Plucking Stars

Plucking Stars

I'm afraid of the dark.

I end up feeling small and insignificant. I ask myself questions and wonder if I'm doing enough. If I disappear one day, will anybody remember me? In this giant galaxy, do I matter?

Sometimes my dreams don't seem to be enough. I expect myself to achieve more. I think I should be perfect. Do as much as possible because I never seem to know what I'm good at or what I really want. Other times, my dreams of becoming a singer seems so far away. It is exactly what it is. A dream. I wonder if my efforts will be futile and think about the possible changes in life if I fail. I only want to do music. If I don't do this well, I don't know what else I can do.

Shadows lurk in every corner. Waiting for me to fall and join them. As they try to overpower me, I curl up deeper into my comforter. Inhaling the scent of home calms my nerves a little. Just a little.

I peek out. Just a little bit. The dark shapes dance around my bed. Woody branches outstretched like fingers as the trees outside dance in the wind. The moonlight casts a glow upon them. Like a spotlight on a performer and I was the anxious audience member.

These shadows can't touch me. Not yet. We only have tomorrow to decide. I have to do well in the auditions.

 

Ф

 

Bom slumps on her bed in relief. Hot, wet and sticky yet she has never felt so comfortable in her life. Dance practice really takes a toll on you when you don't work out often. If not for the nagging need to bathe, she would have went to bed right then and there.

Bom reaches the toilet as soon as her dorm mate comes out. Sharing a small smile, she slips right in after her. It hasn't been that long since the four of them began practicing and living as a team. Things still feel slightly awkward but living together may help with their synergy.

As she dresses and dries herself, she can't help but stare at the mirror. She pinches herself at little places. Thighs, arms,cheeks. She can't help it. She stares into the mirror with wonder. She's one step closer to a bright future yet everything she finds is a fault.

As she slips into bed and stares up into the ceiling, she thinks of the people she's with. The path she's headed to. Where she stands in the group.

She couldn't dance like Minzy. She couldn't rap like CL. Her voice wasn't like Dara. They were all prettier and more talented. What would she be known as then? The old one. She closes her eyes to will that thought away.

"Unnie..."

Bom turned to the source of the voice.

"Yeah?"

"I'm going to turn off the lights now if that's okay with you?"

Despite her urge to scream no, Bom turned and hid under the covers that muffled her answer.

"Yeah sure. Go ahead."

 

Ф

 

Despite their tough concept, BIGBANG was basically a group of dorks. Both groups bonded well and they looked up to them as seniors in the entertainment industry. All of them became good friends and Bom found herself to be really similar to Choi Seunghyun.

There are some things she tells him and not the girls. Little things like dreams and worries being confessed with only him and the stars as witness. They sit side by side on the rooftop, knees tucked to their chests and chins laid on them. Confessions float into the night air and dissolve into whispers carried by the wind. They know what to keep a secret. They know when things get serious but tension melts into comfort no matter what in each other's prescence.

Between the two groups, particularly close friendships between two or three of them weren't that surprising. Sometimes, they sneaked into each other's dorms just to have a couple of laughs or drinks. That was why nobody batted an eyelid when Seunghyun shows up at their dorm with a few packets of glow in the dark stars asking for Bom.

As soon as she appears, he drags her by the arm to her room and proceeds to take the sticky plastic sheets out of their packets.

"What's this?" she asks in amusements.

"Well noona, you're afraid of the dark right? Well,now these can light up your ceiling a bit."

He then rips the last packet with his teeth before jumping on her bed and dragging her up with him.

"Well, why stars then? Not dinosaurs or something?" she asks as she plays with a few of the sheets.

"Do you want me to get you aliens then?"

She then pouts at him. She then stretches her arm out to give him the stars.

"No. You're doing it. You see, each star you paste will represent your dreams. Anything you want. Then, once you achieve it, you just pluck it out."

"What good does that do? It will just be dark again after that."

"See, that's the point. Once all of the stars are gone it will be dark but you'll be at the top. You've got everything you ever wanted and nothing can touch you."

"Not even the dark?"

"Not even the dark."

 

Ф

 

She peels each star from the sticky sheet of plastic and reaches up.

I want to debut.

Stick.

I want our group to be successful.

Stick.

I want to perform at a YG Family Concert.

Stick.

I want to be happy.

Stick.

 

It takes about an hour for her to finish up the rest and at last she only has one left.

"Well, do you have a last dream?"

 

I want to fall in love.

Stick.

 

Ф

 

When they move to the new dorm, she plucked all of the stars and brought them with her.

They weren't that sticky anymore so she used blu tack to hold them up on her ceiling. By then she had already plucked a few of them off from before.

2NE1 was a success and she was living her dream. Not everybody thinks that they're the best but as long as their fans do, she was okay with that. Sometimes she wonders how she would have handled everything if she didn't have anything to look forward to. The stars were like a mission and everytime her ceiling seemed emptier, she felt more full. She had Seunghyun to thank. In a way, the stars left a sense of comfort and direction when he wasn't there to do it physically.

She stands on her bed and plucks another star off. She had a solo album now and she wouldn't be needing this one.

She tucks the star close to her chest and fiddles a little with it before turning off the lights.

She sleeps with a sigh of content. Life is a little brighter than before.

 

Ф

 

They're lying on the floor together staring up at the last few stars she has left.

She can feel the warmth radiating from his body seeping through her and it left a fluttery feeling in her. She turns to study his side profile and inches her hand slightly towards his, fingers creeping up like a spider.

Fingers brush lightly and this may be the last time they see each other.

The peak of her life has passed and it was time to settle down. Their era has ended but it was worth every second. She thinks of the things she have done and the time spent with each and every one of the people she has met here. With quick courage, she slips her hand into his before tugging him up.

"Come on. I still have some packing up to do."

He laughs and slides his hand into her waist. It felt natural and she barely notices it.

"Lets see... well,

 

I finally travelled to 10 different countries.

Pluck.

I've found confidence in myself.

Pluck.

I had a successful career.

Pluck.

I'm retiring with content.

Pluck.

 

I guess that's all."

The ceiling is now littered with remnants of blu tack where they didn't come off cleanly. Somehow they managed to make the room look older than it already was. And she turns around a little to stare at it.

"Wait, but what about the last one? Hmm...?"

She could feel herself blush as she slapped his chest.

"You stupid alien, you remember what the last wish is don't you?"

He chuckles before stepping closer to her and burying his head on the crook of her neck.

"You don't want to leave without this last dream done right?"

She crosses her arms and hums. Trying to ignore it. He looks up and grabs her arms with a charming smile on his face.

"Come on, I helped you once and i'll help you again."

At that moment she understood what he meant. 

"Well, i'm glad you said that because Choi Seunghyun,

she tip toes till their noses touch

I think,

her breath ghosts over his

I

an arm slinks round his neck, his round her waist

love

her other fingers curl around a point of the star

you."

 

As they kiss, she pulls the last star off.

Pluck.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[A/N: SO DONE (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻]