Chapter 1 - The start of this crisis

Flower Boy Coffee Shop
Gayoon entered the coffee shop, smelling the sweet, but bitter aroma of coffee beans. At the same time, there was a rich, luscious scent blending with the coffee smell. She sat at the red and chestnut brown colored table set next to the window, consisting of two chairs and a round table. Already aware of the menu here, she ordered her favorite coffee - Mocha Latte. She flipped her hair and leafed through the pages of a magazine that the coffee shop provided. Without even having to turn, she knew that there were many people in awe just by looking at her.

 




Chapter 1 - The start of this crisis


Noticing his childhood friend was here, Daehyun ran to her table.

“Gayoon!”

“Oh, hey Daehyun.”

“You mean, class president Daehyun.”

“You became class president?”

“Yeah, cool right?”

“Not really. The title’s nice, but do you know what kind of responsibilities you have to handle?”

“Eh, it shouldn’t be too hard. I think it’ll be a great addition to my line of experience. If I keep this up, I’ll soon be president of Coffee Petal.”

“Wow, that’s a great goal for life.”

“Stop being sarcastic, it’s better than you think.”

“Sure it is. Let’s go to school before we’re late, kay?”

“Okay.”

Daehyun put up his apron and set off to school with Gayoon.

When school was over, Gayoon headed to her house. While walking, she noticed a few other students behind a bush, next to the soccer field. She went to see what they were doing.


“What are you guys doing?” Gayoon asked.


“Watching Zelo play soccer.” a girl said, whispering. Who’s Zelo?
 

“Why don’t you just sit at the soccer field?”

 

“It’s embarrassing, he’s just too cool.”

 

“So basically you’re stalking him?”

 

“No, we’re just watching.”

 

“Sure you are. Seriously..Who is he to be stalked? He doesn’t even seem that cool.”

 

“Get down! He’s going to see you.”

 

The girl pulled Gayoon down, but Zelo was able to see her before she went behind the bush.  Zelo turned back around to practice for his next soccer game, but your phone suddenly started ringing and he turned to the bush again.

 

“Turn that off, we’ll get caught!”

 

“Okay okay, I’m trying.”


Urgh, what am I doing here? It’s so embarrassing.


Gayoon was finally able to turn off your phone when Zelo looked over the bush and saw her. She didn’t notice though, and the other girls covered their faces with their bags. She was the only one he see. He didn’t say anything to her though. He just got his backpack and left. Now, she could leave. She left crawling on all fours, away from the soccer field. Suddenly, she turned back around and said something. Since she wasn’t near the other girls, they didn’t hear her. But they knew well enough that it had something to do with, “You guys are dead!”

Daehyun saw Gayoon crawling away from the soccer field and wondered why she was doing that. He walked over to her, but while walking, Zelo - or Junhong - passed him while talking on his phone. They both stopped and stood there for a moment, as a brief memory flashed through their minds.
 



Junhong stared at his test papers nervously. It was important that he got a good score. His grades were horrible, and if he didn’t get at least a B, then he would be able to go anywhere or do anything. He looked at the test sheet next to him. It was filled out by one of the smartest students in the class, who just went to the restroom. While he was a very smart student, his family was very poor. Fortunately because of his grades, he was accepted into this school.

With the student gone, Junhong knew that now was his chance. He couldn’t just look at the answers and copy them, because he wouldn’t be able to see the whole test. Instead, he decided to switch it. The teacher didn’t see him switch the tests, but Junhong’s best friend, Daehyun, did. And Junhong soon realized that.

When the test scores were out, Junhong ranked 5 out of the 100 students in his class...But the other student was ranked 100. His grades was the only thing he had that kept him here, so he was expelled. When Daehyun found out, he knew he had to do something. During Junhong’s celebration for getting such a high score, Daehyun went to talk to his parents. He explained everything to them, just before Junhong entered the room.

“Daehyun, join us. The party’s fun.” Junhong said. Daehyun stayed quiet and looked over to the side, knowing that Junhong would be upset with him soon.

“Junhong, is it true that you switched your test with another student?” his mother asked.

“Huh? Did Daehyun tell you that?”

“Yes, he did. Is it true?”

“Well...I..” Junhong decided to lie again. This time, causing his best friend trouble. “No. Daehyun...Daehyun is lying. He must be jealous, because I didn’t do that.”

“What?” Daehyun asked, jumping out of his seat with surprise and anger.

“Daehyun, you’re lying about our Junhong?”

“No! No I’m not!”

“He is. It’s so obvious.”

“Junhong, why are you blaming me? You know I saw you, you know-”

“Stop!” Junhong’s grandfather shouted as he walked into the room. “I heard everything..Is this true Junhong? Is Daehyun really lying?”

“Are you saying you don’t believe me?”

“No. I am saying that I want your word for it. I will trust you, but remember, doing the wrong thing results in consequences.”

“I...I..” Junhong knew he went to far. If he lied, his friend would get hurt. But if he didn’t, he would get hurt. “..Everything I’m saying is true. I’m not lying.”

With those words, Daehyun was expelled from school. They never spoke to each other again since that day. And their friendship, turned into hatred.


 




“Hey, hey Choi Junhong!” the person on the phone with Junhong shouted.

“Huh? Oh..Uh..Sorry.” Junhong murmured, walking away from Daehyun. Daehyun stayed standing there, suddenly having someone pop up from behind him.

“Boo!” Gayoon shouted.

“Ahh! What are you doing?”

“Yelling some sense into you. I crawled right pass you, what were you thinking about?”

“N-nothing. But why were you crawling?”

“N-no reason...Want to go to the coffee shop?”

“Sure. Although, aren’t you supposed to study for the exam?”

“It shouldn’t be hard. I’m sure I’ll ace the test.”

“Okay then. Let’s go.”

The two left school and went to the coffee shop, where Yongguk was holding interviews for jobs at Coffee Petal. Junhong also helping choose who to hire, but he was behind a screen. He didn’t want people to find out he’s the future owner, as people would think differently of him and treat him differently as well.


 




“Name?” Yongguk asked.

“Jongup.” Jongup answered.

“Experience?”

“I’ve worked at one coffee shop before and a fun park.”

“A fun park?”

Yes, as the clown.”

“Nex-”

“Wait,” Junhong said. “Hire him. He has the ability to make people smile and feel good. Personality is very important for coffee shops.”

“You really want to hire him?”

“Yep, I don’t see why not.”

“Fine, fine. You’re hired. Don’t make him regret it, because I already do.”

Jongup got up from his seat and started jumping around with excitement. “Yes!!!! I’m hired!!!”


“Next!"

 


 

Gayoon took a sip of her rich, dark coffee as she watched Daehyun complete the coffee orders.

 

“What is it like working at a coffee shop?" Gayoon asked.

 

“Well, it's like working...at a shop...where you make coffee." Daehyun said sarcastically.

 

“How lame-" Gayoon stopped talking when she saw Himchan, who she had a big crush on. Wondering why Gayoon didn’t finish her comment, Daehyun soon realized that Himchan was here.

 

“Oh yay, Himchan’s here…” Daehyun muttered, again with sarcasm. Gayoon completely ignored Daehyun’s comment and stared at Himchan until he left into another room.

 

“Huh? Why is he going into the staff room? Aren’t they hiring today?”

 

“Looks like he’ll be working here.”

 

“Really? That’s so cool!”

 

“Cool? You just said it was lame!”
 

“When did I say that?”

 

Daehyun sighed and started to make more coffee.

 


 

“Name?” Yongguk asked.

 

“Himchan.” Himchan said.

 

“Experience?”

 

“I worked at a few other coffee shops and lots of malls.”

 

“Malls? This isn’t a place for fashion, it’s a place for coffee. Nex-”

 

“Hire him.” Junhong stated.

 

“What? Why?”

 

“Charm. That’s important for coffee shops too.”
 

“You’re crazy, but fine. You’re hired Himchan.”

 

“Thank you! I’ll try my best at working here!”

 

“Don’t try, do. Next!”

 


 

“One espresso please.” a lady said.

 

“Coming right-” Daehyun replied, being interrupted by Gayoon’s laughing. “Um...One moment. Your order will be done soon.”

 

Daehyun walked over to Gayoon, where she was watching a video on her phone.

 

“Gayoon, don’t you think you’re laughing too loudly. There are other customers here you know.”

 

“Sorry, I can’t help it. This video is so funny.”

 

Daehyun sighed as he put his hand over his face. Meanwhile, the next applicant for the coffee shop went to the staff room.

 


 

“Name?” Yongguk asked.

 

“Youngjae.” Youngjae said.

 

“You’re hired.”

 

“Don’t you need other info to hire him?” Junhong asked.

 

“Probably, but you hire every other guy who enters this room.”

 

Just after a sigh, Junhong asked, “Experience?”

 

“I’ve worked at multiple coffee shops and took classes on professional coffee making in New York and Italy. I would like to work here now, but I’ll only accept a high role.”

 

“Okay. Junhong, what do you think?” Junhong didn’t reply to Yongguk’s question for a while. He seemed distant. “Uh..Junhong?”

 

“Huh? Uh, yeah. Let’s hire him.”

 

“First good choice of the day. Well, looks like we’re about done.”

 

The two left the staff room, along with the new staff members.

 

“Gayoon, do you really think you should be doing your nails in a coffee shop?” Daehyun asked.

 

“It seems fine to me.” Gayoon told Daehyun. Again, Daehyun sighed loudly.

 

“Daehyun!” Yongguk shouted. Daehyun turned around to see Yongguk and the others. “Come meet the staff.”

 

Pointing at each new staff member, Yongguk introduced them to Daehyun. “Meet Jongup, our new waiter. Himchan, another new waiter of ours. And Youngjae, who is apparently our new co head manager.”

 

“Welcome! I’m looking forward to working with you guys.”

 

“And also, Junhong will be working here too.”

 

“J-Junhong?”

 

“Hi...Daehyun.” Junhong said with a smirk.

 

“Okay…” Yongguk muttered, in between Daehyun’s and Junhong’s, whose eyes looked as if they were burning with hatred. Out the corner of his eyes, he saw Gayoon painting her nails.

 

“Hey! Why are you painting your nails in this cafe?”

 

“I told her it was a bad idea.”

 

Yongguk walked over to Gayoon, who he didn’t like because she was a stuck up brat...Well, in his opinion...And a few other’s as well.

 

“What? Is it a problem?” Gayoon asked right before flipping her hair.

 

“Yes, it is. And I’ve told you before, stopping flipping your hair. It’ll get to the kitchen, and then it’ll get to the coffee! Why do you act like you're the best thing in the world? Do you really think your father’s company is perfect?”

 

“Well at least he isn’t some useless manager at a cafe.”

 

“What!!!”

 

Yongguk had to be held back by Junhong and Daehyun, who just ended their, thought to be, staring contest. Gayoon yawned as she put her nail polishes in her bag.

 

“I’m a bit tired. I’ll be off now.”

 

Walking away, Gayoon chuckled in her head. She has definitely won this battle.

 


 

Gayoon walked home as she called her father on her phone. “Why isn’t he picking up?” she asked herself. Suddenly, she heard a noise from behind her, but no one was there. She continuously heard footsteps, though she didn’t see anyone. Gayoon started to run and she knew that someone was chasing her. When she finally lost them, she was able to go home. When she went inside, she noticed that the house was empty, and there was only a note on the wall.


“Gayoon,

I’m sorry I wasn’t able to tell you this before, but I have left to Japan due to some issues with the company. For now, you won’t be able to stay here, there are debt collectors looking for us. Find another place to stay, maybe Daehyun could help? Again, I’m sorry for not making you aware of this before. We’ll see each other again soon.”

Gayoon’s eyes started tearing up. She sat on the bare floor, crushing the note her father left her in her hands. But she didn’t have time to cry. The debt collectors were already at her house knocking on the door loudly. When they left, Gayoon went out to find Daehyun. She needed his help...Badly.