i

peony-scented mornings

"Could someone just get the freaking door?!" Soojung yelled impatiently from the bathroom. Sunday mornings are meant for people to just laze around under their duck-down-lined covers, yes? No. Well Soojung wanted to if she could, but she had a dessert-making spree 'project' to do and was just ecstatic. She couldn't even sleep thinking about it the night before. Mini raspberry cheesecakes, croquembousche cupcakes, macademia nut brittle ice cream.. just to name a few. After 5 minutes of the doorbell no longer buzzing, she assumed whoever interrupted her blissful time of 'let's-not-freak-out-about-anything-before-12-pm-on-a-weekend' session  just left. 

 
Buzz.
 
Soojung rolled her eyes and ran towards the door to unlock it, sparkly purple toothbrush in between her teeth. 
 
"You!" she gasped at the tall, tanned guy holding a basket of stuff she ordered from GS25, the neighborhood convenience store. Apparently they offer delivery services and well, that was more than convenient for Soojung. Kai, Soojung glanced at his nametag, seemed pretty puzzled. She spat out her toothbrush and hid it in the pocket of her lilac terry bathrobe. He passed her the basket, still bearing a weirded out expression. 
 
Two months before.
 
Soojung angrily stared at the dent marks on her bicycle. "Hey!" she yelled, chasing after the guy who was just casually unlocking his Audi. He raised his dark eyebrows, shooting her a questionable look. If he weren't so ing gorgeous, Soojung would've smacked him right in the nose. Her sweaty feet squirmed inside her newly-bought silver Converse.
 
"Don't you think you should compensate for what you did?" Soojung's eyes shot from him to her broken bicycle, miserable wobbling in her arms. "As in, pay? For the damages you've caused?!"
 
Jongin kept on with his I-don't-have-a-clue-of-whatever--is-going-on act and smirked, twirling his car keys in his hand. He playfully gave Soojung a once-over and she scoffed, unamused. 
 
"You don't look hurt," he said, grinning. "But I'll replace your bicycle, anyway." he said seriously. 
 
"I'm not asking you to replace it, damn it! I just need-"
 
"Give me your number." 
 
"Why would I do that?" Soojung ran her hands through her smooth, recently dyed chocolate brown locks. Jongin's fairly plump lips curved into a smile and jerked his head towards her bicycle. 
 
"I'll be taking that baby to a repair shop. You're not expecting everything to be done by today, are you?" 
 
Soojung bit her lip. "Er.." she kind of did. But never mind, she thought. She could car-pool with Jean-Hyun to school. "You're not some bicycle-robber who tricks people by offering help after damaging their bikes, are you?" she asked. 
 
"Even if I am, would I admit it?" Geez. "Plus that thing's a pile of junk when I've got....." Soojung glanced at his Audi and rolled her eyes. After reluctantly exchanging numbers, Jongin dropped Soojung off to her penthouse in Apgujeong and complimented how cute he thought her frowning look was, leaving her flustered yet puzzled for a short moment.
 
"We should go out for ice creams some time. I'm-" but Soojung already stormed to greet the security guard. 
 
-----
 
After paying, Soojung took one more glance at the part-time delivery boy and thanked him for the goods. 
 
"Sure, it's my job to keep customers happy!"
 
Kai's cellphone rang. His handsomer twin Jongin called. Probably asking to bring home more Twix bars.
 
"Dude, I tried calling you for like, 78 times? Where were you?"
 
"Yeah, sorry bout that. Had errands to run this morning." 
 
Jongin smirked at the end of the line at scrolled through the recent conversations between him and Soojung, the girl he bumped into a few weeks ago. She wasn't exactly his ideal type, but something about her makes him smile goofily when he's by himself and not getting stressed over the heaping piles college assignments. And today, he's going to ask her out. 
 
"Do you mind running a few more?" he asked his elder brother (by a minute and 23 seconds) nervously. "I'm asking a girl out today."
 
"And?" 
 
"And... If you could, help me to send her a bouquet of the closest-to-purple, or lilac, periwinkle colored flowers you could find, and write some cheesy . Y'know. Like 'do you wanna go out with me?' or something." 
 
"What am I, Cupid?" both brothers laughed. "Alright, man, anything for my baby Kkamjong." 
 
"Stop teasing me and get to it, will ya? I'll Kakao you her address." Jongin hung up. Kai's eyebrows furrowed as he re-read the message he just received. 
 
Didn't I just deliver stuff to the same address? 
 
Kai's eyes blinked in amazement as he slapped his forehead with the palm of his hand. No wonder she looked at him weirdly, she must've thought of him as someone familiar - his brother Jongin, to be exact. Kai chuckled. This is gonna be fun.