Press the Backward Button

Press the Backward Button

XIII.
Soo Jung honestly wishes they never happened, because it’s just so hard to deal with grief.

 

She wishes there was a backward button to their love story, so she can hit it, and she’d never know who Kim Jongin was.

 

 

 

 


XII.
Soo Jung cries and cries until she can no longer physically cry anymore. She feels a pat on her shoulder and her tear streaked face glances up to look at her friend.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

With those two words Soo Jung cries even more, because with those two words, Soo Jung knows Kim Jongin is really gone.

 

She feels a pair of arms wrap around her. However, the action doesn't comfort her much because it isn't Kim Jongin's arms that are wrapped around her frame. She can wish and hope, but Soo Jung knows it's pointless.

 

Everything is pointless.

 

Her heart aches so much.

 

 

 

 


XI.
The doctors inform Soo Jung that her boyfriend Kim Jongin died on 13 September, 2013 09:35PM. Kim Jongin had been involved in a car accident and had died of excessive bleeding.

 

Soo Jung feels her body fall towards the hospital floor.

 

She hears crying.

 

She’s not too sure if she’s the one crying.

 

 

 

 


X.
Soo Jung is sitting alone in Hwangsil Restaurant, feeling rather lonely and awkward. She's waiting impatiently for her boyfriend again. Somehow, this isn't the first time. Feeling her phone vibrating in her jeans pocket, she pulls out her phone quickly, thinking it must be her boyfriend Jongin.

 

Kim Jongin is going to get a lecture from Jung Soo Jung for being late again.

 

Just as Soo Jung’s preparing to launch a verbal attack at her boyfriend, she’s greeted by an unfamiliar voice from the other line.

 

“Is this Miss Jung Soo Jung?”

 

Soo Jung can hear her heartbeat drumming against her chest. There's anticipation from her side, but she doesn't know what she's about to hear yet.

 

 

 

 


IX.
Soo Jung pulls out her phone from her apron, unlocks it and touches the text message icon on her home screen. She glances about her surrounding, making sure her best friend and colleague Taemin is nowhere to be seen. Concluding that Taemin is busy serving a family of four, Soo Jung opens her new text message and reads it.

 

Kim Jongin

It’s our one year anniversary today! Hwangsil Restaurant, Songpa at 7.30PM. See you there 
Sept 13 4:20 PM

 

Soo Jung's lips tug upwards, forming a smile. Her fingers slide across her phone's touchscreen keyboard in a swift motion and she types a quick reply.

 

Don’t be late again! See you soon  I love you 
Sept 13 4:35 PM

 

 

 

 


VIII.

It's winter and it is snowing outside. They're snuggling on the couch and their mugs filled with hot chocolate is left untouched on Jongin's coffee table. Feeling cold, Soo Jung inches closer towards her boyfriend and curls her body next to his. Jongin plants a kiss on her forehead. Through his kiss, Soo Jung can feel his smile on her forehead.

 

“Are you cold?” he asks gently. Soo Jung nods and Jongin wraps his muscular arms around her small frame. He pulls his comforter closer so it covers the both of them.

 

“I love you,” Soo Jung mutters under his strong hold.

 

Jongin smiles at her, his eyes filled with fondness and affection. “I love you so much.”

 

Despite the cold, Soo Jung's heart feels warm.

 

 

 

 

 

VII.
“I don’t like the way Taemin looks at you.”

 

They're sitting under a tree when Jongin breaks the silence.

 

“He’s just a friend. “ Soo Jung stifles her laughter. “Why, are you jealous?” She tilts her head sideways to look at her boyfriend and smiles cheekily at him.

 

“Of course! Who wouldn’t want to date you?” Jongin pulls Soo Jung's body closer to his, stealing a kiss from her before he buries his face in the crook of her neck. Her dark brown hair falls on his face and Jongin takes a sniff.

 

“You smell so good,” he comments. “I can smell you all day.”

 

Soo Jung smacks him away playfully. "Don't be gross!"

 

Jongin's lips form a smirk. "Oh, you still like me anyway," he teases before leaning in to steal another kiss from his girlfriend.

 

His girlfriend doesn't complain this time, because she's more than glad to have someone like Kim Jongin in her life.

 

 

 

VI.

Soo Jung thinks today is a great day to be out on a date with her boyfriend. The sun is shining brightly and the birds are singing ever so melodiously, as though they're happy for the both of them too. The trees look like they're wavering too, and Soo Jung can't help but smile at the scenery before her.

 

Her boyfriend keeps walking and Soo Jung nearly falls behind because she's too busy admiring the scenery.

 

"Are we going to Hwangsil Restaurant?" Soo Jung gasps, suddenly stopping in her tracks as Jongin walks closer to the restaurant. Jongin is bringing her to one of the most expensive restaurants in town?

 

"No, we're eating next door." Jongin clarifies.

 

Disappointment washes over Soo Jung's face. "Oh."

 

Jongin tries not to notice the hint of disappointment in his girlfriend's voice. "We'll go there for our one year anniversary."

 

Soo Jung just smiles at this.

 

"So I guess you gotta date me till then," Jongin adds playfully.

 

 

 

 


V.
It is June when Jongin holds Soo Jung’s hand for the first time. Jongin’s grip on her delicate fingers is so strong that Soo Jung winces slightly at his squeeze. They're walking around the streets of Seoul when Jongin reaches out awkwardly to grab her hand. It's rather awkward, yes, but it's also very nerve-racking for Soo Jung.

 

Despite the pain she’s feeling, Soo Jung feels both nervous and excited at the same time because oh my gosh Kim Jongin is holding her hand!

 

Soo Jung prays hard that her hand won't start sweating. She wants everything to go well.

 

 

 

 


IV.
Soo Jung’s stomach does a somersault flip as her new friend Jongin looks into her eyes, his gaze boring into hers. She can’t believe she’s actually out with a man she’s just met a few weeks ago. He could be a serial killer waiting to kill her in her sleep. She’s actually sitting across a potential  slash psychopath slash serial killer!

 

Soo Jung has watched too many episodes of Criminal Minds.

 

Her train of thoughts is interrupted when Jongin tells her another joke.

 

“Velcro’s such a rip-off.”

 

Soo Jung's brain takes a few seconds to digest this before she cracks up, unable to contain her laughter. She laughs at almost everything Jongin says, because one, he’s funny; and two, she likes him.

 

She likes him quite a lot actually, she realises.

 

 

 

 


III.
Soo Jung opens up the small folded piece of paper she’s holding in her palms.

 

Can I have your number? - Jongin

 

Soo Jung looks up just in time to see the man exiting the bakery. Without her even realising, her heart skips a beat.

 

 

 

 

 

II.
“That’ll be 1000 Won.”

 

“What’s your name?”

 

Soo Jung shifts her gaze from the cash machine to the man standing in front of her. Recognition clicks in Soo Jung’s mind as she recognizes the man. It’s the same tanned, handsome man she saw the day before. The man is grinning at her and Soo Jung's brain goes into alarm mode.

 

“Are you stalking me?” she asks incredulously.

 

“I guess you can say that,” he winks at her.

 

Soo Jung is at a loss for words. She opens , wanting to say something to the stranger, but she shuts again when her voicebox is unable to produce any sound.

 

“Hi, I’m Kim Jongin,” he introduces himself. “Nice to meet you.”

 

Kim Jongin extends his hand and Soo Jung stares blankly at it.

 

"So," he tries again. "What's your name?"

 

 

 

 


I.
Soo Jung spins around quickly to face her colleague and best friend Taemin as he jabs her sides. She groans in pain, clutching her sides tightly. Taemin chuckles at his best friend's actions.

 

“That man’s been watching you for a while now,” he tells her, pointing to a man sitting at the far corner of the bakery they both work at.

 

Soo Jung directs her gaze to the direction Taemin is pointing at. She sees a tanned, handsome man in his early twenties looking back at her. Soo Jung stares at the man and wonders why the man is staring so intently at her.

 

The man gives her a shy smile.

 

Their eyes lock for the first time.

 


 

A/N: Drabble dedicated to all Kaistal shippers. Please do give me some feedback and leave a comment! ♥