I'm sorry

Regrets

 

"Oppa~ I'm tired~" You whined when I forced you to study. You knew that I wouldn't be able to resist that cute face of yours.

 

"Alright, take a break then." I simply said, not making eye-contact with you as I'm busy with my own work. However even if I couldn't see, I knew you were pouting sadly. After all, we had been a couple for five years.

 

Still, I didn't give you my attention. I continued with my work and figured that you'll find other stuff to do, which you did. You were always understanding of my work and busy life, yet I've never tried to accommodate you.

 

"Oppa, you're going to work again?" It's a Sunday morning, and we were supposed to go on a picnic date.

 

"Yeah, it's a very important meeting. Sorry, Miyoung-ah." I apologised while linking up my buttons.

 

"It's okay, Oppa. Remember to grab something to eat before meeting starts." You reminded, as you know I had gastric. I gave you a smile before rushing out. Not knowing that you were expecting a peck on your cheek.

 

It was our 2000th day together, but I didn't have any idea it was. We went to a posh restaurant for dinner as you suggested.

 

"Oppa, you know what day is it today?" You excitedly asked.

 

"Saturday." I answered. You thought I was just joking and was planning to surprise you.

 

"Oppa, today is our 2000th day together!" You showed me your signature eye-smile and handed me a small bag. "I sewed that scarf myself. You better take good care of it, Oppa!"

 

I awkwardly smiled and put the bag aside, "Sorry Miyoung-ah. I forgot that it's our 2000th day. I didn't prepare anything for you."

 

I saw that your wide smile instantly disappeared and you looked disappointed, nonetheless, you still assured me, "It's okay, Oppa."

 

It was your graduation day, but I've forgotten about it.

 

"Steph, where's Yul? The ceremony is ending soon." Your father questioned.

 

"Oppa is too busy and couldn't leave. He called me just now to congratulate me already." You lied to your dearest father, because of me.

 

"Baby cake, where's Yul? He knows that you're graduation today right?" It's your older sister's turn to question about my whereabouts.

 

"Of course Oppa knows about it. He's busy working right now." You smiled, which appeared to be a little fake.

 

When you came back home after your graduation ceremony, you saw me busy typing a document in the study room, so you didn't approach me; instead you went back to our room and you slept alone that night.

 

The next morning, we were finally having breakfast together after a long time. You were so happy and were constantly grinning. I got no idea why were you so happy back then, but I know now; because I was there. I never knew that all you wanted was my care and attention, but I couldn't even satisfy your simple demand.

 

We had our first fight that day. Yes, although we were together for several years, we had never fought because you were always giving in to me.

 

"Oppa, who's that woman?" You interrogated me after witnessing a lady kissing my lips.

 

"She's my business partner in next project." I then attempted to walk away, but you prevented me from doing so.

 

"Do you need to lip-lock for a project?!"

 

"Hwang Miyoung, stop being ridiculous. It's just a simple kiss." I frustratedly flung your hand away from me. I left you behind on that day.

 

I never expected that to be the last day I would see you. I didn't attempt to find you as I thought you'll come back to me eventually. It was on the second day after we quarrelled. Your brother called me.

 

"Yul, S-Steph is gone." I was confused as to what he was saying, until he clarified.

"Stephanie is dead."

 

I didn't want to believe his words, I wanted to believe that he's joking, but his tone and sobs said otherwise. You're really gone. I off my phone and left all my work behind to attend your funeral. I didn't even drop a tear when seeing your photo in front of that wooden coffin. Because I refused to believe you’re really gone.

 

I stayed by your coffin throughout the three days of funeral. I didn't have a mouth of drink or food. I didn't want to leave your side. The attention that you yearned for long ago, yet I only gave it to you after you’re gone.

 

I recalled of my confession, and the promise I made.

"Oppa, I had so much fun today. Thank you!" You smiled and jumped around like a little kid.

 

"Miyoung-ah, I'm glad you had fun. If you like it, we'll date every day, okay?" You showed me your eye-smile and nodded vigorously.

 

"Of course, Oppa!" Looking at your wide smile, I bucked up my courage.

 

"Stephanie Hwang Miyoung, will you be my girlfriend?" I paused and peeked a little at your reaction, "I fell in love with you ever since you joined the swimming club. You were so beautiful that I thought I saw an angel. When you smile, I felt my heart skipped a beat. When you cry, I felt a hole in my heart. When you're not around, I felt like I lost my heart. Miyoung, I love you, I really do."

 

When I saw you nod, I swear that was my happiest moment in life. "I promise to make you smile like this every day, feel special like this every day, and most importantly I'll show you how much I love you, every day."

 

We both then shared our very first kiss.

 

I'm sorry that I broke my promise; I'm sorry that I didn't show you how much I love you. It's always you, boldly expressing your love to me. If only I'm not a Kwon, if only I didn't have to take over the huge corporation, I would have more time with you. If only I didn't allow lust to take over me that day, I wouldn't kiss that woman, I wouldn't fight with you, and you wouldn't have met the car accident.

 

After your body turned into ashes, everyone left. It was then, I broke down. The tears that I've been keeping in the past three days fell down in an instant. I kneeled down and hugged your urn of ashes tightly in my embrace.

 

I'm sorry I didn't give you more attention; I'm sorry for always postponing our date; I'm sorry for forgetting our anniversary; I'm sorry for not attending your graduation ceremony; I'm sorry for everything I did that made you upset.

 

However I know it's too late. No matter how many sorry I say; I wouldn’t be able to see your eye-smile again. No matter how many sorry I say; I wouldn’t be able to see your beautiful face again. No matter how many sorry I say; you wouldn't come back to life; you wouldn’t come back to me. All my sorry can only turn into regrets.

 


 

Another one-shot. I've been feeling rather emotional recently, hence the sad love story. Hope you guys like it ~