Tricks

Ace of Hearts

It was a fairly busy at Sunday Myeongdong today. The streets were all lined up with people, and the aroma of delicious street food hung in the warm, thick air. Out in one of the secluded areas, was a girl. She wore a mad-hatters hat along with an impressive costume.

The once secluded spot had become crowded as soon as she had stepped in, with a cloud of audiences gathering around her to watch her magic show.

It was two in the afternoon, and the sun was well above the horizon. The scorching heat made the girl sweat in her costume. She had been going on the whole morning, showing them tricks and spins. The whole crowd was absolutely captivated by her act.

“Alright ladies and gentlemen,” she tipped her hat, showing her long red hair. “The show is over. I wish that you all had a good time here. ‘Till next time.” She winked, and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

The crowd cheered and one by one, they dispersed, minding their own business. Eunmi had just gotten changed and stepped out of her mini-caravan, smiling widely. A lot of people had been in awe of her, and she had made them smile. This career was more than enough for her. It could support her for the rest of her life. She didn’t need much. It was just her, and her twin brother.

The young magician stepped out and took in the air. Her appearance had completely changed, except for the only marking thing about her—her strikingly red hair. She tied it up in a ponytail and grabbed her bag and headed out, saying a farewell to her brother, who had almost passed out due to the heat.

She walked around the city, picking up things here and there, until an item from a certain shop caught her eye. She walked towards it rapidly.

“Wow,” she whispered to herself, caressing the cover of the packet of cards. “I haven’t got this is my collection before.”

“Wow, you’re a magician,” a voice spoke up from behind her. She whirled around, knowing full well that that person was talking to her. As soon as she did, she saw a boy about her age and with one striking feature—his dark red hair.

She chuckled a bit. “How do you know? You’ve seen my shows before?”

He smiled politely. “No, but the way you look at those cards. And your hands,” he laughed a bit. “I can tell that there’s been a lot of paper cuts from all the cards you’ve been playing with.”

She smiled. “Only other magicians would notice those things.” She grabbed his hand and got out a dollar from behind his ear. Her hands followed her movements. “You know how I did that don’t you?”

“Of course I do,” he then coughed out a bird. She stepped back and flinched. He winked. “Do you know how I did that?”

She blinked, and thought for a while. “Hmm… that’s a nice one. I think--”

“Get the bird out of my shop!” an angry ahjussi(Korean for: old man) yelled as the bird flew.

The two flinched at his voice and offered an apology. “Hey, how about we go outside and take a walk?” she offered, after they sent the bird out. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Junhong, ” he smiled and extended his hand. “But you can call me Zelo.”

“Zelo,” she shook his hand. “I’m Eunmi. But you can call me Kira.”

Zelo laughed and shook his head. “Kira? As in, Kira from Death Note?”

She paused before smiling creepily. “…Yes.” They laughed together and walked down the sidewalk.

“So, you’re a magician?” Zelo asked her.

“Well, at night and on the weekends. I’m a school girl the rest of the days,” she smiled.

“Oh, nice. What did you come out here in the city for? Your show?”

“Yeah. And also to go to the skate park. There isn’t any good skate parks from where we come from.”

Zelo looked at her, surprised. “You skate?”

She turned to him. “Yeah.  I was supposed to go there this afternoon with my brother, but he’s asleep so, I guess I’ll just have to put it off for tomorrow morning or come back at night again. How about you, do you skate?”

“Hell yeah. Skateboarding is my forte. You should join me this afternoon,” he smiled eagerly at her, keenly waiting for her reply.

As she was about to reply, her phone rang loudly in her pocket. She answered it, realizing it was her mother.

She pouted as she put the phone down. “Sorry Zelo, I can’t go anywhere this afternoon. Apparently, my parentals want me home by dinner. My brother and I just came here using our caravan and we won’t be back ‘till next week.”

Zelo’s face fell. “Well, that’s alright. We’ll see each other again. For sure.”

She smiled. “Alright then.”

“Yeah, you have somewhere to go don’t you? I’ll see you soon,” he winked at her as he walked away.

She smiled and shook her head. Then, she felt something in her pocket.

It was a playing card. Ace of Hearts.

She smiled and flipped it over. Her smile grew as she saw the numbers written on the piece of paper along with the words: ‘I told you we’d meet again. For sure.’

*He knows the tricks,* she smiled knowingly.

Up ahead, Zelo smiled to himself and kissed the deck of cards that she bought earlier. “Thanks for your number… Eunmi.”


 

A/N: God, I apologize if it's short and has lots of grammatical errors or if it's boring. My zombie self might come out any time soon. I better go to sleep. Bai bai <3