"Seatbelt"

Seatbelt!AU

pairing: jongyu; pg
genreseatbelt!au, supernatural, post-tragedy, slight romance
length: drabble — 335 words

 

 

 

It’s been one year.

Jonghyun is whistling a tune, neither joyful nor sad, as he watches Jinki open the fridge door. The older man peers inside long enough that he shivers from the cool air chilling his skin. ‘Yah, Jjingi-sshi,’ Jonghyun begins with a troubled yet affectionate sigh, ‘you know you always get orange juice. What are you even waiting for?’

Downheartedly, Jonghyun knows exactly what Jinki is waiting for. He is waiting for the moment when Jonghyun would suddenly appear from behind him to plant a sweet kiss on his cheek, reaching inside around his lover to grab a Red Bull from the fridge door because Jonghyun always drank an entire can in the mornings―now almost the entire fridge is stuffed full with unopened cans of Red Bull that Jinki never failed to replenish monthly.

The problem was that that moment would never come.

Realizing this, Jinki quickly pulls out the carton of orange juice and slams the door shut hard enough that the things inside rattle audibly.

‘Yeobo…’ Jonghyun murmurs, voice significantly softer as he leans closer, ‘please, be careful. You don’t want to break the eggs like last time.’ He does not like to remember the way Jinki cried when he saw the broken eggs; it reminded him too much of the state of his heart.

But the other man says nothing, taking a seat on the other side of the counter across from Jonghyun like he did every morning, shoveling his spoon into a bowl of dry cereal because he forgot to buy the milk again. Jonghyun always bought the milk; he picked it up from the grocers on his way back from a singing gig he had at a bar, so Jinki never had to.

Jinki had not drunk a single drop of milk since January fourteenth.

That day was viciously scratched out of every calendar that he possessed, and none of his friends questioned why because they understood.

They listened when Jinki quietly told them to wear a seatbelt.

 

 

 

a/nghost!au. i actually wrote this right before jjong’s RL car accident, but i stopped because i was scared of jinxing what had happened… i realize now it was dumb to be scared, but still.

coincidences are frightening like that.