iii - 박미영

h a l f b l o o d s ☪ f a t e (d i s c o n t i n u e d)

Chapter III

"What is this madness?!"

"We're demigods Sungyeol. We kind of have a lot of bad luck," Woohyun reminded, jumping out of the reach of another attack.

"We escaped the hyrda. We barely killed that chain restaurant monster. Now we're being attacked by monsters. Again!" Sungyeol shouted in complaint, slashing at a nearby monster. "And of all monsters, the symphalian bird? Really? A whole flock of them?"

"I thought us demigods were always attacked according to all the adventures you kept on talking about," I pointed out, raising an eyebrow as I leapt out of the way of one of the many birds. With coordination, another bird swung for me mid-air but luckily Donghee jumped, kicking it across the beak. 

"Still! This is more than usual!" Sungyeol complained, yelping as one of the birds narrowly missed him, cutting a chunk of his shirt off instead. "Aw man! This is the shirt that my siblings haven't gotten to yet!" 

Twang!

A bird flew down, a single arrow sticking out of it. In unison, the four - three demigods and one satyr - turned to see a group of archers hiding amongst the trees. One stood boldly on a branch a few meters away. She reached into her quiver, notching another arrow. 

"Oh for the love of Aphrodite, Jinju! Ever heard of stealth against evil monsters? Gosh! Put down your freaking pride you-Hey!" Sungyeol shouted, yelping as the arrow Jinju let loose scraped by, nearly flying through him. The other archers followed soon after, arrows raining down on the birds behind. The birds gave indignant screeches and flew off, leaving feathers and corpses behind.

"Thank Olympus you guys got here in time," Woohyun shouted, going up to greet the group. He clapped one of the males on the shoulder. "Nice shooting Taemin! Practicing for Naeun lately?"

The male spluttered excuses while Sungyeol and Donghee led me towards the camp. From afar it looked like a farm but upon closer inspection, there were things I faintly noticed didn't belong - a course of some kind with lava for one, a few females on the shores of the river who looked faintly like they were about to flow into it for another, green-skinned females turning into trees because that was totally normal, males on flying horses that didn't look girly at all - I decided not to look too much into it yet.

"Welcome to Camp Ellada Miyoung. You're home," Donghee uneasily declared. I noticed the queasy look but did not address it, smiling instead.

"Thanks! So where's the food court? All the running made me hungry!"

Sungyeol laughed.

-oOo-

"So Camp Ellada...Not bad I guess. I expected something to be burning," I commented, looking around the not-farm camp. 

"Things tend to burn. You happened to come on a good day," Sungyeol teased, giving her a wink. "Until you're claimed you can stay in the Hermes cabin - jack-of-all-trades, you know? It's odd though. Aren't you over 16? You should be claimed by now."

"I just turned 16 but hey, guess even Olympian parents forget birthdays," I joked, trying to lighten the atmosphere. "So is that some kind of rule? Claimed before 16?"

"Recently it has. Something happened over in Camp Half-Blood - that's our American counterpart by the way - and so, all the gods - minor and major - have to claim their children before 16...or at least they should," he informed, dragging a lazy eye over me; I resisted the urge to shiver. "Guess you're special?"

"Guess I am," I agreed, shrugging.

"So we should bring you over to Dionysus now," Woohyun pointed out, appearing out of nowhere. 

"Done flirting lover boy?" Sungyeol teased, elbowing the male. 

"When you're done stealing pickpocket," Woohyun threw back, flipping his hair. 

"Let me guess. Son of Aphrodite?" I spoke up, pointing at the male.

"That's me," Woohyun confirmed, smiling. "Sungyeol here is the son of Hermes and head counselor of his cabin to boot. Careful to make sure he doesn't steal anything of yours."

"My stealing is limited to only the hearts for pretty girls," Sungyeol teased, winking at me. I flushed red but luckily neither boy noticed.

"Hey man! Flirting's my thing!" Woohyun half-joked, punching Sungyeol in the arm. "Anyways, let's introduce Miyoung to Dionysus already. I don't want to risk going crazy just because we were late."

"Why would he drive you crazy?" I dared to ask, tilting my head slightly. The two looked at me strangely.

"Were you good at history? Greek mythology?" Woohyun questioned. I shook my head. 

"I was ok. But wasn't he the god of wine and celebrations?" I pointed out, frowning.

"And of insanity," Sungyeol supplied shortly. 

"Oh. Ok. Let's go meet the crazy wine god then," I joked, grinning. The two paled. I blinked, puzzled at their sudden silence. "Hello? Not going to meet Die-o-knees-us?"

"I'll have you know it's Dionysus young lady," a voice crossly corrected from behind me. I swiveled around quickly, my eyes taking in a man who didn't look like a god at least. His hair was black but somehow had a tint of purple and his eyes were a bloodshot blue. He had on a pair of shorts and some leopard-printed shirt. In all, he looked more like an old uncle going to vacation in Vegas or Hawaii more than some kind of god.

"Sorry. Names aren't my thing," I admitted sheepishly, sticking out my hand. "I'm Park Miyoung."

He pointedly ignored my hand.

"Then we're on the same page. I'm Mr. D or Dionysus. I hate all campers and I remember no names," he introduced blandly, rolling his eyes. "Now Hyunwoo, Seolmyung, get lil' Jiyeong here settled and explain all the rules to her and blah blah blah. Make sure she's prepared for our campfire tonight and find her something to do in this camp here so she won't bother me. Oh, and avoid anything that might get her maimed. Toodaloo."

I gaped after him openly, pointing. 

"He's the head honcho here?" I questioned, feeling quite insulted. "I don't really care if he's a god but shouldn't he at least shake my hand? I mean he's on earth with me."

"Chill out Miyoung. He gets everyone's names wrong and he hates it here pretty much," Woohyun explained with a shrug. "He was sent as director because of a punishment. He's not exactly going to welcome brats - even if they're his own - with open arms. Besides, he doesn't like heroes apparently."

"Why not?" I asked insistently.

"Ask him if it bothers you that much. Either way, you'll go crazy because you don't know or because he makes you since you know," Sungyeol piped up, offering a hand. "Now come on. Let's see if you're any good at picking a lock."

-oOo-

After trying my hand at lock picking  - which I was not good at as it turned out - and discovering my adequate, though not special, skill at riding pegasuses (pegasi?), Sungyeol guided me towards the archery range, laughing at his own jokes. 

"Are you sure this is even safe?" I questioned, staring at the bow dubiously. "Last time I checked, weapons and I have a mutual dislike for each other."

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Sungyeol laughed off, shoving a full quiver and bow into my hand. I looked at his expectantly mischievous face and sighed. 

"Let's hope I don't hit someone," I muttered and took aim.

I swear to Zeus that I was trying to aim for the target. Not exactly my fault my aim .

"Sorry," I apologized once more with a wince at his groan of pain. "I really didn't mean to hit you."

"No problem. Getting hit with the arrow of love is fate, don't you think?" the male questioned, beaming up at her. She blinked. 

"I'm sorry about my brother," Woohyun replied, drawing the curtain on the male who shouted an indignant 'Hey!' that was promptly ignored. 

"Your real brother?" I asked, tilting my head to the side. 

"Nah. My Olympian half-brother," he answered simply, rolling his eyes. "He's a total flirt."

"So are you," Sungyeol pointed out with a chuckle. A female followed him and I faintly recognized both her and the light pang in my chest. "I finally found Jinju. She's the one who's supposed to show you around."

I stuck my hand out.

"I'm Park Miyoung. I hope we get along," I greeted, smiling. She looked to me suspiciously and left the room. My mouth dropped open. 

"Rude!" I shouted after her. 

"Relax. She's like that with everyone," Sungyeol comforted, putting a hand on my shoulder. 

"What? Ill-mannered?" I half-joked, looking up at him.

"More like...cold," he stated, shrugging. "Anyways, I have to go round up my cabinmates for the bonfire. Try and catch someone to help you if you need it. Later." 

He waved and I returned the motion as he left. 

"Later."