At

Under the Stars

This was the perfect time for a real date. Kai dragged the smaller man by the arm to an open field in the park. They stopped once they hit the center of the field. The taller man’s eyes twinkling, he set down a thin mat on the floor for them to sit on. Kyungsoo glanced at this all with confusion. But nevertheless he was happy.

 

Love is a weird emotion. It is beautiful and bubbly, but it also brings insecurities. But the way that the other looked at him – he shivered – it was so haunting. He felt so loved. Kai’s eyes were staring straight into his soul and he shivered. The want was real.

 

“Kai,” he whispered softly. The said man just stared at him waiting. “Kai,” he called out once more.

 

Kai answered, “Yes, my… love?”

 

Kyungsoo blushed at the choice of words and he slowly snuggled closer to Kai. They looked up into the sky and he gasped. “Kai, look at those stars. They shine so brightly.”

 

“Just like us?”

 

“Just like us,” he confirmed. He blushed again as Kai took his hand and entwined their fingers. And with the power of the stars was upon them once more as they shared a sweet, chaste kiss. To the other, they each reflected the stars in their eyes and Kyungsoo found himself starting out quietly.

 

“When I was young, my grandfather used to take me out to watch the stars with him,” Kyungsoo said. His eyes never left the stars, and for a split second, Kai could swear that he saw a sliver of tear run down his face. “We would sit outside like this and just watch the stars the whole night. Most of the time, we would not talk and just enjoy each other’s presence.”

 

Kai squeezed the petite man’s hand. “He sounds really awesome.”

 

And the latter nodded. “He was… He passed away last year due to leukemia.” They both sat quiet. There was no more to dwell on the matters and just in the stillness said their prayers to Kyungsoo’s grandfather. Kyungsoo laughed at himself before wiping his tears. “You know what? He used to tell me about how everything we did was connected to the stars.”

 

“Stars?”

 

“Yeah, the stars. It’s crazy talk, and I never believed it before. But you know? I… I think I believe it now.”

 

Kai brushed his lips on Kyungsoo’s skin, causing the petite man to shiver in delight. “Tell me.”

 

“Well on that night before he died, we came back to watch the stars one last time. They told us that they would medically rest my grandfather who was in so much pain. I couldn’t let him go without one more night. We came back and I remember my grandpa so frail and weak. His skin was already yellow from the bad substance that infiltrated his body and he was bald. And I remember… I remember the ghost of his grin on his face as he caressed my face and patted my hair. I remember bursting into tears – I was the closest to him in my family since we clicked – and he just stared at me with a smile on his face. His hands were shaking, but he pointed to the sky and I remember that the stars were extra bright that night.”

 

Kai was rubbing soothing circles along Kyungsoo’s back.

 

Kyungsoo laughed again, and he wiped at his eyes. “Sorry, I shouldn’t be doing this on our first date-“

 

“No, go on. It’s okay,” he said softly, still soothing Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo hiccupped before going on. “He began to tell me how stars were connected to our souls and that the moment we fall in love that a new star was born. Of course I didn’t believe it. Science alone proves that stars are made of gas. But I don’t know. It feels so right. Before he died, I remember him saying, ‘The stars shine so bright tonight’. I just knew it was said towards me.” He hung his head low and let out the emotions he bottled in for so long.

 

But he looked up, his face shining with hope. “Do you think we have a star? Do you think we truly have a star?”

 

Kai smiled.

 

He let out a sigh and looked up into the heavens, just gazing at the wonder before him.

 

“Yes. I do believe that we have a star.”

 

“And also,” Kai added. “If we do have a star, I hope it never blinks away.”

 

========================================================================================================

<< Author's Corner >>

Sorry this was short. I just feel this is the best ending :) 
Thanks for sticking with me! I hope you stay for more Kyungsoo, Kai, and Suho otps!