1. Meeting Him

Coffee Shop

A/N: { I'll format it so that when it's in present time (with Daehyun and the waitress), it will be normal format. When it's in past time (with Daehyun and Jongup), it will be italicized. So it will be like this ----> Daehyun and waitress.... Daehyun and Jongup. I guess it'll kind of stand out. }


     I sat on the edge of my bed, the bright afternoon sun breaking through the curtains. I stared at my reflection in the full-body mirror that was hung on the back of the bedroom door. My hair was a mess from a rough night of sleep and dark bags accompanied my eyes. I looked at the empty spot beside me and ran my fingers over the pillow. “Why did you have to leave?”

     I wiped the tears from my eyes and stepped into the shower, the warm water relaxing me enough to bring me to my knees. “I hate you, Jongup. I hate you for leaving me.” I stood slowly and shut the water off, feeling too sluggish even to shower. I slipped into a clean set of clothes and a pair of shoes.

     I picked up the picture of Jongup and I that rested on my nightstand. I slowly ran my finger over the smiling Jongup and smiled softly to myself. He was always smiling and laughing until we were with others, then he fell silent and blankly stared ahead. Even after a year of his absence, I still remember smile and laugh, even without the videos and photos on my phone and computer. I sighed and set the picture down. “I’ll see you son, Uppie.” I grabbed by back and headed to the coffee shop.

     Just like the waitress had said, it was slow, same as every other Saturday. I sat at my table and smiled as I ran my fingers over the surface. “I’m here, Uppie.”

     “You’re here,” the waitress approached the table with a smile and a cup of coffee, “may I join you?” I smiled and nodded, allowing her to sit beside me. “Are we continuing from yesterday?"

     I smiled and sipped the coffee, the hot liquid burning the inside of my throat. “Ready?” She nodded.


     The air was cold and snowflakes fell to the ground for the first time of the winter season – although it was technically late fall. The clouds blocked the warmth of the sun and only allowed small fractions of light through. I stepped into the shop and loosened my scarf a bit. I didn’t see the young waiter anywhere, but I decided to stick around. It was a bit busy since it was still lunch, so I took a seat at the table that I had sat at the night before. I set my bag on the floor and sighed.

    “Oh! You came back!” I looked up at the young waiter and smiled. “I figured you wouldn’t since the service was terrible last night.”

     I chuckled softly. “A nice young man saved the day with excellent service, so I figured I’d pay a visit.”

     He smiled and nodded before running off to make a cup of coffee for me, passing through the line of waiting customers. I chuckled softly and patiently waited for his return. He soon returned with my coffee and a bright smile. “I made this one special.” He set it down and giggled. “Extra cream.”

     I smiled as I took a small sip. “It’s delicious!” I held it up to him. “Try.” He blushed and took a sip.

     “It is,” he smiled and nodded. “It’s my best cup so far.”

     I smiled softly. “When does your shift end?”

     “In a few minutes, actually,” his face flushed. “Why do you ask?”

     I tapped my fingers against the cup softly. “Well, I figured we could go to the park and introduce ourselves to each other.”

     He beamed. “I’d love that.” He looked behind him then back at me. “Let me help with this line then I’ll join you.” He bowed and ran behind the counter. I sipped my coffee and waited.

     Soon enough, he returned with a thin coat and a bright smile. “Should we go then?” I smiled and nodded, standing up and readjusting my scarf. He linked arms with me and giggled softly as he pulled me outside into the snowy weather. He shivered and whined softly. “It’s so cold.”

     I chuckled and led him down the street to the park, which was decorated by a thin sheet of snow. I stopped us by a bench and removed my coat, draping it over his shoulders and carefully wrapping my scarf loosely around his neck. “I’d rather let you have all of the warmth.” I smiled and played of his pink cheeks as a reaction to the cold air.

     “Th… Thank you,” he stammered. He slipped his arms through the sleeves and nestled his chin into the scarf. “So, do you live in the area?” His voice was a bit hesitant.

     I nodded and smiled. “I own an apartment complex close by.” His eyes widened. “I’m not rich of anything,” I chuckled, “I inherited it from my parents.”

     “If they’re rich, wouldn’t you be considered rich as well?”

     I shook my head. “No, I don’t live with them anymore, so I’m kind of middle class.” I hummed softly. “They kicked me out recently, so I moved into the complex.

     “Why’d they kick you out?” He sat on a bench not far from the first one and placed his hands in his lap.

     “I’m twenty and still haven’t married.” I sat beside him. “And, well, they got tired of me.” I chuckled and nudged the boy. “How about you? Do you still live with your parents?”

     His expression fell and he shook his head. “They left, so it’s just my sister and I.” I felt a wave of guilt wash over me. He smiled. “But I’m happy with just us.”

     “If you’d like, you can both live in my building, no rent.” I smiled and nudged him playfully. “You’ll live there for free.” The boy shook his head.

 


 

     The waitress stared in disbelief. “He turned down free housing?” I nodded. “He’s crazy!”

     I smiled. “Hush and you’ll find out why.” She nodded and smiled.


 

     “We like where we are no, so I’ll stay there.” He smiled and hummed softly. “But she won’t be home for a few days, so I’ll have to deal with being alone.”

     I smiled. “Stay at my place..” He looked at me shocked. “Just for those few nights. Nothing bad will happen, I promise.” He hesitated and nodded in acceptance, standing and taking my hand in his. I stood and smiled. “By the way, I’m Daehyun.”

     “I’m Jongup,” he beamed.

     “I like that name.” I could get used to saying it.


{ First done~~~~ }