A Bad Day With A Good Ending

A Bad Day With A Good Ending

 

“Bom~! I found one~!” I chirped as I ran into the practice room, only to notice who was there. I froze and felt butterflies infect my stomach as I saw the Big Bang members look up at the item I was waving in the air. What an idiot. I thought to myself as I hid my hands behind my back and turned to Bom and the girls. Bom would have been laughing if I didn't shout her name. Everyone else on the other hand found it hilarious. The room was full of laughter as I felt my face turn pink.

“Come on.” Bom said rolling her eye's and dragging me out of the room with her all the way to the bathroom.

“Sorry.” I said holding out the tampon to my best friend.

“It's okay Dara, if that was Minzy and Chaerin we would be laughing as well.” Bom said as she picked up the item from my hand and went into a stall. I sighed as I left the bathroom. I wanted to die. I wanted to just shrivel up and die. Me and embarrassment did not belong together. I sighed again turning in the direction of the practice room. I did NOT want to go back there.

I turned around and decided to buy a water bottle, as if I didn't have a billion in my bag. In the practice room.

With that, I went to a nearby vending machine. Turned out, I didn't have any money on me. It was all in my wallet. In my bag. In the practice room.

“Screw life.” I said as I sat on the ground in front of the vending machine and started to scold myself by hitting my head. Repeatedly.

Then a hand went over my head and put a five hundred won coin into the machine. The hand drew funny patterns around the buttons, as if the person had a selection, all there was was water.

But there were quite a few buttons with nothing but water. Yeah. It didn't make a lot of sense.

The hand came to a stop before a face appeared right over my head.

“Want something?” Jiyoung asked peering down at me with a warm smile on his face.

“Please.” I replied actually quite shocked by his sudden appearance. Maybe it was just the magic of his smile that stopped me from jumping from the surprise.

“Water or water?” He asked his grin growing big revealing his perfect teeth. I smiled a little. That felt nice.

“Water would be nice.” I replied returning his full on grin with one of my own.

“Water it is.” His grin didn't fade as he clicked the button then pulled another coin out of his pocket for his own water. “Want to grab those?” Jiyoung asked me as he once again peered over me. Only then did I realize I was just sitting there. Like an idiot. Watching him click buttons. Like an idiot.

“Right.” I said as I took the waters out of the pocket at the bottom of the machine. I sat there and held them in my hand.

“Oh so they are both yours?” I heard Jiyoung tease me. I looked up and realized I was still sitting. What was wrong with me? I quickly stood and handed him one.

“Sorry. I zoned out.” I said before sighing and opening the water bottle to start drinking. Feeling embarrassed sure made me thirsty.

“I can tell.” Jiyoung replied. There was a short comfortable silence before Jiyoung spoke again. “Just curious. Did you and Bom plan that stunt back there?” I choked on my water realizing Jiyoung was in the room with everyone when I ran in with the tampon.

“Plan?” I asked in between coughs. How could he think it was planned?

“Yeah. Was it?” Jiyoung pushed.

“No.” I finally answered while shifting my gaze to the ground.

“YES!” I heard him yell. My head shot up and I stared at him. He wore a giant grin as he drank his water. I couldn't help but smile. His smile was contagious.

“What?” I asked.

“I had a bet with Seungri. I told him it wasn't planned. But he is convinced it was.” Jiyoung turned in the direction of the practice room. “Thanks Dara. I've got some money to collect.” Jiyoung said as he walked to the practice room. Leaving me with a smile. He always made me smile. Plus it made me feel better to know that the guys made a joke out of it.

Then I decided life would go on and followed him back. I walked into the room to see the boys in one corner and the girls in another. I walked to my bag next to the girls. I threw my water in and decided to check my phone while I was at it.

“Dara.” I heard Bom's voice. “Were you with Jiyoung? I mean, he walked in right before you did.” There was this happiness emitting from her voice. I started to search around my mini duffel bag for my phone.

“Yeah.” I answered not understanding why she seemed so excited.

“So did you tell him?” That excitement still beaming out of her voice. I couldn't see it but there was no doubt she was smiling.

“Tell him what?” I asked having no idea what she was talking about at that moment. I was more concerned with where my phone was.

“You know.” The energy level in her voice went down immensely.

“No I don't. Is there something I am supposed to tell him?” I asked getting agitated, I couldn't find my phone.

“Yes dummy. You know... the thing.” Bom said sounding just as upset as I was.

“What thing?” I asked almost in a yell looking at Bom and really not getting it. Mostly because I was so concerned about where my phone could be.

“You know about HOW YOU LOVE HIM!” Bom screamed and everyone in the room looked at us.

“BOM!” I yelled back as I jumped up in a panic. I heard a weird crack from behind me.

“Who does Dara love?” I turned to see Seunghyun, he was cracking his knuckles. I also heard a giggle from Bom.

The thing was, 2NE1 talking about our love lives was kind of taboo. The boys of Big Bang were really close to us and pretty protective not to mention they loved to scare our possible love interests away.

“If I said she'd kill me.” Bom said obviously holding in a laugh while pointing to me.

“Wait. Unni, you like someone?” CL chimed in getting closer to me.

“It's news to me too.” Minzy added, joining CL in giving me puppy dog looks in an attempt to get me to spill.

“No no!” I yelled scared everyone would push me to tell them. “Bom just said that to annoy me!” I tried to make it disappear. When no one seemed to buy it I tried again. “You know, because of what happened earlier.” I said referring to my 'stunt', as Jiyoung called it.

“Bom, getting me excited for nothing.” Seunghyun pouted as he walked back to the other side of the room. I let out a sigh of relief. I turned to Bom and gave her my best glare. Bom let out a giggle.

“Is that supposed to be a glare?” She asked letting out another burst of laughter.

“Ha ha your so funny.” I said giving her a fake smile and siting down next to my bag to continue my quest for my phone. “Now where did that go?” I whispered to myself.

“Oh I borrowed your cell Dara.” I turned to see Bom holding out my phone. “Sorry. It was sitting on top of your bag and I needed to call someone. Mine died.”

“It's cool.” I said as I reached and took my phone out of her hand and gave it a hug. “I am so happy we are reunited.” I mumbled to myself but Bom laughed at me. “So who exactly did you have to call, Bom?” I said crossing my arms.

“What?”

“Is it a guy?” I paused and Bom caught on. “Are you IN L-” Bom shoved her hand over my mouth in a panic.

“Darn it Dara. I'm sorry, okay?” I just gave her a smile. That meant it was true she called a guy. This was something I just HAD to hold over her in the future. “Anyway,” Bom quickly changed the subject. “did anything happen between you and... him.” Bom said a smile so close to her lips.

“Not really.” I said with a sigh.

“Really?” Bom frown. “Why?”

“I don't know. What if he doesn't feel the same way?” Yup. That was my biggest worry. What if he totally rejected me? What if we couldn't even be able to be friends again? That was a scary thought.

“Oh come on Dara. Make a move. The result might surprise you. Plus you might regret not doing anything later.” Bom said with a smile before joining a conversation with the other girls.

“Make a move?”

Bom's words echoed in my head. I sat with my phone in hand. I went to his phone number and wrote a text.

 

I love you

 

Love? Ha. I wasn't so sure I was in love with him. I just new that my like for him had long past 'friends'. Friends. That was what we were now. I thought about what it would be like... lovers. Now I was pretty sure my face was turning red at my weird thoughts.

“Hey Dara.” Bom said as she pushed me over. I fell. My phone slipping out of my hand and crashing on the floor. She interrupted my thinking.

“What?” I replied grumpily as I reached for my phone.

“Can I borrow your phone again?” I looked at my phone and froze. I felt like my heart was going to burst out of my chest. The message to Jiyoung was sending. In the process of sending. I couldn't stop it. I looked up and around the room. “Please.” Bom repeated. I brushed it off and spotted Jiyoung drinking his water while looking at something in his hand. In that second I think I had a heart attack.

 

He was on his phone.

 

“Dara please let me use yo-” I practically threw my phone at Bom. The only thing I cared about was deleting the message. “Thanks.” I heard her say in a pleased tone.

“Jiyoung!” I called out to him and he looked up at me, a small smile forming on his face.

“Hey Dara.” He said as he tossed his phone on one of the bags near by. My heart calmed down. But it wasn't over yet I had to delete it from his phone. Like it never happened. “Whats up?” He asked me after he finished his water bottle and tossed it next to his phone.

“Ah! You know that water you gave me. I finished it and I see you finished yours. I'm so thirsty. But... I'm out of money. Could you please please please buy me another?” I asked desperately putting my hands together. And getting on my knees to beg. I just wanted him to leave.

“Well,” Jiyoung had a frown on his face. “If you get down like that...” He sighed. “how can I say no. I guess.” I jumped up in excitement.

“Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” I grabbed his hands in mine and put on my biggest smile.

“Okay you don't have to be that happy. It's just water.”

“Just water? Without water we would be dead!” I yelled. All I wanted was for him to leave so I could delete the message with my confession.

“Okay.” He seemed kind of freaked out. But I didn't care. At this point he really needed to leave. What if it rung or buzzed and he wanted to check it. I would die if he saw that message. It would be the lamest confession in the history of lame confessions. It needed to disappear. I NEEDED it to disappear. I turned him around and pushed him towards the door.

“Hurry. I’m thirsty.” I pushed him, literally.

“Okay.” He walked forward a little. Then he stopped and turned back to look at me. “Your not coming?” He wanted me to come? Yeah right.

“No you can go by yourself.” I said as politely as I could.

“Okay...” He blinked at me with a puzzled look a few times, then he shook his head and walked away. I waited until he left the practice room. Then I pounced. I took his phone off his bag. It was an iphone. Okay. I could do this. I just needed to delete a message. I wasn't going to snoop, just DELETE.

I slid the unlock bar on the front screen and had another heart attack.

It was locked.

“You've got to be kidding me.” I muttered to myself as I closed my eye's and tried to think about what it could be. “His birthday?” I asked myself as I opened my eye's and tried it out. Fail. Okay. I needed to figure it out. What was my passcode? My passcode was Boms birthday... Okay! I started typing in all the birthdays of the Big Bang guys I new. No go. I typed in Boms.

Yeah. That was stupid.

Then I had a ridiculous thought. Was it... I typed in my birthday.

It unlocked.

A long series of thoughts ran through my head. Why was my birthday his passcode? Could Jiyoung... like me? Maybe he just treasures me as a friend. Yeah that made more sense. I mean I did treasure Bom and her birthday was my passcode. I stared at his screen and clicked on the messages. He had no new messages. Not from me. Not from anyone.

WHERE WAS MY MESSAGE!?!?

“Is that my phone?” A far to familiar voice appeared from behind me.

“No.” I said quickly as I turned to face no one other than Jiyoung, hiding the cellular device behind my back.

“You sure? It really looked like my phone...” He furrowed his brows and gave me a strange look. It was obvious he knew. I had his phone.

“It- It's mine. My phone. Ha.” I stuttered awkwardly. I felt bad. But the message needed to arrive in order for me to delete it. A smile began to form on his face. Jiyoung handed me one of the water bottles in his hand and I took it with the hand that wasn't clutching his cell for life.

“You sure? I thought that was your phone.” He said pointing toward Bom with his thumb, who had my real phone pressed against her ear. I had no idea what he was thinking to have that almost grin on his face but all I wanted was to delete the message.

“Nope. That is totally Boms.” I lied through my teeth. To be honest, it didn't feel good. And obviously I wasn't good at it, because I was pretty sure he wasn't buying it.

“Is that so?” The grin on his face grew bigger. Was he amused? I had to do something. I needed HIS phone. I just needed him to give it to me. But how in the world would that happen? I couldn't just ask for his phone for a few minutes... or could I.

But I had already lied and told him it was mine. I could have just asked...

“Hey Dara! I'm putting your phone back in your bag.” I heard Boms voice call out from across the room. My whole body went numb. Should I just give up? Let him see the message? I could always say it was a joke. Or Bom's revenge. Again.

“So. It is yours.” I turned back to Jiyoung. He was all smiley and I had no idea why. What was so funny about me lying?

“Oh... yeah. It is. But...” I stopped talking. I was losing words to spout out. I looked around the room avoiding eye contact with him. What to do? “But this one is mine as well.” I lied again giving him my best forged smile, holding up the phone but hiding as much of it as possible with the water bottle.

“Really?” His smile grew even more if it was possible. This was ridiculous. What was I doing? Both of us knew the person that owned the phone was him not me.

“Yeah. Two phones... funny story. For another time.” I hid my hands behind my back as tried to start walking back to my bag. Then he grabbed one of my arms and yanked me back in front of him.

“I'd love to hear this funny story.” I was in full on panic-without-showing-it mode. I just wanted the message to not be real. It would be nice if I was daydreaming and the message didn't exist. Or something.

“Really?” I bit the side of my mouth. What was I to do now? I glanced at the door. I could just run. Take off. Adios. Then I mentally imagined my self falling, the phone falling out of my hand and everyone in the room seeing the text. Not good. My nerves were taking over. “Well I'd love to tell it. But I need to go...” I said as I turned towards Bom. Don't stop me! Don't stop me! I yelled at him in my head.

“Dara.” He said yanking my arm and pulling me back in front of him for umpteenth time. Actually. That was just the second. Whatever. “We both know that is my phone.” He said his smile dispersed as he held out his hand. “Give it.”

I didn't answer. I had no idea what to say. He tugged on my arm.

“No!” I almost yelled as I continued to gnaw on my mouth while taking a step back. I glanced at his face, he looked surprised. Then continued to focus my gaze on the ground.

“Look Dara if you broke it or something. It's fine. Totally cool. I'll fix it no problem. Just give it back.” He sounded tired. He really wanted his phone. I wasn't even sure why.

Once again. Words didn't make their way out of my mouth. I just stood there. Hiding his phone behind my back. Then I saw his feet approach and looked up at him. He yanked my arm from behind my back. I dropped the water bottle and put the phone up in the air.

As if that was going to help.

I thought about what I could do with it. He was taller than me. I couldn't hold it up in the air expecting he couldn't reach. I suppose, I could have thrown it on the ground as hard as possible hoping it would break. Thinking about it now, that would have been a better option.

Instead, I put it in a place only a women could. I stuffed it in my shirt. Specifically, in my bra.

“You can't have it.” I said. I couldn’t believe it. I was crazy. INSANE. Jiyoung seemed speechless. He just stood there, wide eyed, staring at my chest.

“Dara...” He spoke but before he could get much out I took off. I dashed. Darted. Right for the door. I figured I would leave, delete the message, and then figure out what to do next.

Then my worst nightmare happened. I made it halfway across the room before I...

fell.

Right on the ground. I crashed down. Right on the ground. In the middle of the room. The worst part? Jiyoungs phone fell out as well. That day was just not good. I heard a few people laugh a little.

I stared at his phone lying on the floor next to me. My head was throbbing. I hit it pretty hard. I felt like I could just pass out. But I didn't. Instead. In that moment. I think. No. I'm sure. I cracked.

I burst out in laughter. So loud. So ridiculously loud. Then. Then. To top it off. Everyone stopped and looked at me. Which of course only caused my laughing to increase to the maximum level of weird.

“Did she hit her head to hard?” Someone said. I wasn't sure who. I couldn't hear all that well.

“Dara... you okay?” I heard Bom ask. But I ignored her. I ignored everyone. I just laughed. When I finally stopped. I saw Jiyoung holding his hand out for me.

“You okay?” I looked around and saw everyone and their worried expressions. I picked up Jiyoungs phone and placed it on his hand.

“Here.” I didn't care anymore. He could know. I just felt sick. I stood on my own rejecting all the hands held out to me. “I think...” I paused as I blinked a few times to make sure my vision was okay. “I'm going home.” I said as I walked to my bag.

“Are you sure your okay?” One of the guys asked.

“Should you maybe... go to a... hospital?” Someone else said. There were more questions. But I really was NOT feeling well. So I ignored them. I sat next to my bag and turned to Bom who was right behind me.

“Can you drive me home?” I asked her. Bom gave me a nod and picked up my bag.

“It's okay.” I said while struggling to stand. “I got it.”

“No I've got it.” She said as she helped me walk away.

“Thanks.”

 

~

 

Bom walked into to the house and I followed. I layed down on the couch and closed my eye's. I just needed a nap.

“Hey Dara. I'm going to borrow your phone one more time.” Bom said as I heard my bags zipper open.

“Okay.” I said. I was so close to sleep when Bom spoke again.

“Hey Dara.” I heard Bom say.

“Mmmm.” Was my only reply. I was REALLY tired.

“Your phone says: Failed to send message.”

“Mmm.”

“I'll resend it.” I heard Bom talk again. Then that all registered. I jumped up.

“No!” I opened my eye's and Bom looked worried.

“You okay?”

“Did you resend the message?” I asked.

“Yeah.” Bom nodded.

“You've got to be kidding me!”I yelled before taking my phone from Bom and going to my room slamming the door behind me.

“Whats wrong?!” I heard Bom yell.

“LIFE!” I screamed back before collapsing on my bed to look at the now sent message to Jiyoung.

I love you

 

~

 

“Dara!” I heard Boms voice yell. “Dara!” I slowly opened my eye's. I looked around my room. “DARA!” Bom yelled again. This time accompanied by the sound of her kicking my door.

“What.” I mumbled. While sitting up and rubbing my eye's. Only when Bom yelled again did I realize I was so quiet. “What!” I finally yelled back. I stood up and tried to open the door. Oops it was locked.

“You feeling any better?!” Bom yelled again so I opened the door.

“Yeah. A lot actually.” I answered. It was true I felt a lot better. I noticed Bom's appearance. She was dressed up. Wearing semi casual clothes and a lot of make up. “You going out?” I asked as I walked to the kitchen.

“Yeah. Actually, I was hoping you would go with me.” Bom walked over to me as I poured myself a glass of water. “We were going to go out with the guys and have some fun. I thought it would be a good idea to let everyone know you are okay by taking you along.” I thought about it for a second. “And,” Bom put her car key's on the counter. “I was hoping you could be the designated driver?” Bom asked with a smile that said 'please'. I sighed after finishing my water.

“Why not.”

 

~

 

Only when we got to the party and I spotted Jiyoung did I realize 'Why not'. We were in Big Bangs small but still roomy dorm. Bom announced my presence and I said 'Hello' to everyone. I avoided any contact of any kind with Jiyoung. But I got really scared when he seemed to be ignoring my existence as well. He probably didn't feel the same way.

I walked to the kitchen to get some water and ran into Seungri. He seemed a bit sad. I gave him a smile.

“You upset you lost the bet?” I asked as I watched him unload a cabinet. He seemed to be looking for something.

“The bet?” He phrased it like a question. He must not have remembered his bet with Jiyoung.

“Yeah. The bet you made with Jiyoung about my...” I paused. “stunt.”

“Stunt? You mean about how you fell?”

“No. The other thing.”

“I don't know what your talking about but I never made any bets with Jiyoung today.”

“You haven't?” I asked remembering he clearly told me he made the bet with Seungri. Maybe he just wasn't remembering. “You know when I first entered the room.”

“Oh, that.” Seungri said a smile forming on his lips and a small laugh escaping. “Me and Jiyoung never made any kind of bet about that.”

“Really?” I asked.

“Yup.” Seungri continued to mess around in the cabinet. “Yes!” He said as he pulled out a bottle of some sort of alcoholic drink. So that was what he was looking for. “Want some?”

“I'm the designated driver.” I said making it sound like I was proud of it. I actually would love a drink after my day. I sighed and decided it would be good to get away from the alcohol so I went out on the balcony with a glass of water.

I went out in the cool air and looked over the sparkly lights of Seoul. It was kind of a nice view. Then I remembered my conversation with Seungri and couldn't help but wonder. Why would Jiyoung lie to me about a bet. It's not like it was benefiting anyone to lie about it. Well, it certainly made me feel better.

“Ah.” I said to myself. He did it to make me feel better. It made sense. He was a nice guy after all. Then I thought about the text. “What to do.” I muttered to myself.

“About what?” A voice came from behind me. I jumped up and turned to face Jiyoung who had a large grin plastered on his face. “It's really funny how you seem to get lost in thought and tune everything out.” I turned back to watch the city of Seoul. It made me feel better.

“Is that so.” I said taking another drink of water. I wasn't quite ready for a rejection. But I was preparing as seconds past.

“You didn't know?” He asked almost sounding surprised.

“Nope.” I answered, almost bitterly. What was wrong with me?

“It's kind of cold out here.” Jiyoung's voice got closer. He was standing right next to me, a strange smirk plastered to his face.

“Kind of.”

“Hey Dara,” Here it comes. I thought, hoping he would be nice about turning me down.

“What?” I asked turning to look at him, but his eye's seemed to be glued to the city.

“Do you have someone you like?” What?

“No.” I answered looking at him. He still was staring at the city.

“Then, do you have someone you love?” Is he teasing me? Is he going to play it off as a joke? I couldn't seem to swallow the lump in my throat.

“No.” I lied for billionth time today.

“Is that so.” He said his grin growing. “You sure?” He asked again. I looked back to the city.

“No.” I finally answered honestly. I heard him chuckle. I turned to him. “What?”

“You finally took it.”

“What?” I repeated. I was so confused abuout what he was talking about.

“You finally took my chance for you to tell the truth.”

“Oh.” I said looking at the city once again. “Sorry.” He finally looked to me.

“For what?” He asked. I sighed. I wasn't like he didn't know.

“The lies.” I stated simply.

“It's understandable. That was a pretty lame confession.” I looked at him. I was astonished. That was kind of mean.

“I know.” I said as I sat down and put my glass on the ground next to me. “That's why I tried to delete it.” I mumbled the last part to myself.

“You obviously haven't checked your phone.”

“What?” I questioned. I took my phone out of my pocket and was about to click the on button. I turned it off when I saw the sent text.

“Can I see your phone?” Jiyoung asked me as he sat down next to me.

“Why.” I asked holding my phone close to my chest and being protective.

“Because you stole mine?” He phrased it like a question. I almost smiled. He couldn't get that goofy grin off his face. I handed him my phone right as it . I didn't even see the screen. His smile fell off his face when he held the phone to my face. “What's your passcode?”

“Not your birthday.” I answered.

“You figured mine out huh?” He said pulling my phone back to him. Was he going to guess?

“Yup.” I said taking a drink of my water.

“Ha!” I heard him say his grin making a comeback. “Really? Bom's birthday?” I stuck my tongue out at him. His smile just grew bigger. “Hmmm.” He squinted his eye's at my phone while staring at the screen.

“What are you doing?” I asked leaning forward to see my phone but he pulled it towards him so I couldn't see.

“Should I delete it?” He asked me as he looked up from my phone.

“Delete what?” I asked getting curious. I dove for my phone. He backed up and held it in the air. I reached for it but he successfully held it out of my reach.

“Hey! That's my phone!” I yelled. “Stop holding it so high!”

“Well I can't put it in my bra, now can I?” He said that grin getting me so I couldn't frown when I went to hit him. I sighed and quickly stood and took my phone out of his hand. I turned around and looked at what he was looking at. I gasped.

“What?” I questioned the words I was staring at on my phone.

“Bout time. I got tired of waiting.” I felt him grab my arm spinning me around and REALLY close to him.

“Seriously?” I asked as I watched the cell that flew out of my hand and off the railing hit the ground many stories down.

“Oops...” I turned to Jiyoung. “I'll replace it?” I would have been mad but that smile made it hard to be mad at him. He leaned closer. So close to his target. My lips. I turned my head. “What's wrong?” I heard him ask.

“Say it. You pulled me so I barely had a chance to read your reply. Say it.” I demanded. He almost laughed as he repeated what was written in the text.

“I love you too, Sandara Park.”