Just Nothing

Lost
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

“Where to?” Jiyong called her.

 

“Shanghai.” Taeyeon wanted to eat Chinese food. She’s been craving for it since last weekend.

 

“Araso.”

 

“Xie Xie.”

 

“Do I pick you up?” Jiyong asked.

 

“No, my parents would think we’re dating.” Taeyeon refused.

 

“Oh we’re not?” He teased.

 

“Jiyong!”

 

“Ok, we’re not.”

 

Teasing and flirting or something in between.
Love, love, love brewing in Shanghai?

 

Yes or No?
Well, no.

 

 

“I’m going to Shanghai.”

 

“Can I come?” Kiko asked.

 

“No, I am with Taeyeon.” Jiyong replied.

 

“Taeyeon?” She raised one eyebrow.

 

“The mochi.” He answered.

 

“Just the two of you?” The girlfriend had to ask.

 

“Yes.”

 

Kiko kissed him then she smiled.

 

That kiss meant an approval; that is a YES from the girlfriend.

 

 

“I’m going to Shanghai.”

 

“I will come with you.” Chaerin said.

 

“No, I am with Taeyeon.” Jiyong replied.

 

“Taeyeon?” She raised one eyebrow.

 

“The bedside lamp.” He answered.

 

“It’s just the two of you, right?” The best friend knew.

 

“Yes.”

 

Chaerin punched him in the arm then she smiled.

 

The best friend has no qualms; that is a YES.

 

 

“I’m going to Shanghai.”

 

“Who’s coming with you, Kiko?” Dara asked. “CL?”

 

“No, I am with Taeyeon.” Jiyong replied.

 

“Taeyeon?” She raised one eyebrow.

 

“Hetty.” He answered.

 

“Ah, Hetty?” Dara couldn’t say anything else, except that.

 

“Yes.”

 

Dara tapped his shoulder and then she smiled.

 

The Soulmate agreed; that is a YES too.

 

 

Incheon International Airport
Seoul, South Korea
3 p.m.

 

“Passport – check; wallet – check; cellphone – check; Kim Taeyeon – check.” Jiyong winked at Taeyeon and took her hand while they looked for Boarding Gate 51.

 

“You think that is funny?” But she laughed at him, but didn’t take her hand back. “Am I an item?”

 

“I don’t know what to call you…” He admitted.

 

“We must be friends, Kwon Jiyong.” She told him, “I mean, we’re going on a trip together. We have to be at least friends to have planned this trip together.”

 

“Adventure.” He corrected. “We are in an adventure together, Taengoo. Didn’t we agree on that before? And aren’t we travel buddies?”

 

“More on a dangerous adventure.” She laughed even more, “Why did I even think about going with you? What was I thinking?”

 

“You were bored and single.”

 

“I’m not bored… and definitely not single.”

 

“You are.” Jiyong told her quite sure of what he is talking about.

 

“How sure are you?” She asked, her smile getting wider. “I remember you asking me to tell my boyfriend.”

 

“Boyfriend?” He raised their intertwined fingers. “What’s this?”

 

“You are in a relationship, Jiyong.” She pointed out. “And so am I.”

 

“But I’ve got permission.” He cleared.

 

“To hold my hand too?”

 

“Well, no.” Then Jiyong had let go of Taeyeon’s hand and blushed the next minute.

 

Taeyeon stopped walking and stood in front of Jiyong who averted his eyes away from his companion who went from jolly to serious.

Serious-faced Kim Taeyeon spoke more seriously though, “Kwon Jiyong. Let’s set something straight here. I know this is really weird. Us. If ever, really… if there is an ‘Us’, which I highly doubt.”

 

“We are not having this conversation, Taeyeon.” Jiyong looked at her this time and was surprised that her face was as stern as her voice.

 

Uh-oh.
He found her beautiful looking serious like that.
No more cute Taengoo for Jiyong.

 

Oh dear.
Captured Dragon?
No way.

 

Wait. Hold it right there.
He found her cute?
When, how, why?

 

“We are, Kwon Jiyong.” Taeyeon was still on it, “What we share is something really weird, amazing and I don’t know how to explain but… extraordinary? It’s too uncommon… and just too weird. I don’t even know how to explain it. Serendipity? I don’t even know what that means really… but we’re already here… and I… I… I… guess… I’m the ones who’s weird because I chose to be here… with you…”

 

Jiyong’s face softened seeing Taeyeon’s confusion. He knows what’s she’s trying to drive at. He’s in the same predicament. They always get lost; running into each other then they decide to ‘get lost’ together. Two friends seeking adventure on their own, seemingly like trying to build a relationship together. Romantically speaking, it will never prosper because Kwon Jiyong has a girlfriend, while Kim Taeyeon claims she has a boyfriend, which to date is still unnamed. Taeyeon can’t be a special friend either because Jiyong has two of that already --- a best friend and a soulmate.

 

“But I want to clear something out.” She told him firmly, “I’m here just because… And not for anything else… Stop flirting with me because you are, since the day I first met you in Fukuoka. Don’t try to deny it, please. Let’s not fall in love because I know we’ll be good friends and I like that, Jiyong. I really, really like that.”

 

Oh.
Just because.

 

“I don’t know what to say…” Jiyong at least managed to smile. “I flirt with you?”

 

She nodded.

 

“Well, maybe.” He scratched his head, trying to suppress his laughter. “Only a little.”

 

“And you are in a relationship… and I vowed never to be the other woman till I breathe my last breath.” She proudly told him.

 

“Fine.” He finally couldn’t contain it, Jiyong laughed.

 

“So kill that little crush in your heart, Kwon Jiyong.” Taeyeon playfully punched him, “Let’s be good friends and travel buddies, arasso? As agreed.”

 

“What?” Jiyong’s eyes’ widened.

 

“Jiyong and Taeyeon doesn’t exist…” She told him, smiling. “Wait, what do shippers call us again? GTAE? That’s right, that’s our couple name. GTAE. G-Dragon and Taeyeon.”

 

“GTAE?” Jiyong asked. “We have a couple name?”

 

“Yup.”

 

“Do they hash tag that?” He asked, surprised and amazed. Cute but somewhat off question from Jiyong.

 

“Yes, babe.” Taeyeon laughed. “More popular than TOPFANY.”

 

“Who’s TOPFANY?” Jiyong’s grip on his bag got tighter.

 

“Guess.” Taeyeon winked at him.

 

“Goodness.” Jiyong felt his throat just dried, “That couple who woke up married?”

 

“Those things exist, Ji. There are many stories about us too. My friends say they read some story, a fan fiction, about us being in an affair or something.”

 

“.” He cursed.

 

“Never going to happen.” Taeyeon told him.

 

“So, GTAE’s not going to happen?” He asked, teasing this time. An evil smile escaped his lips. Jiyong knows when he can take advantage of a situation.

 

“Nah-ah. Never. Not even CLOSE.” Taeyeon smiled, “GTAE exists in fan fictions only. And even if we’re in a fan fiction now, there won’t be a GTAE too.”

 

“Why?” Jiyong asked surprised, “Isn’t GTAE supposed to exist in fan fictions you say?”

 

“Mmmm, either we get lost or the author is such a loser and fails to update for the nth time.” She joked.

 

“Then I’d rather wake up married to you then… like TOPFANY?” Jiyong had his own joke.

 

“Oh bummer, that loser is writing ‘I woke up married’ too.” She sighed. “So, Kwon Jiyong, forget about falling in love with me. I am dead serious. Let’s forget about this whole traveling-together thing, if we’ll end up in an affair later on. I hope we are clear.”

 

“Okay.” He nodded. “Promise. If I start to feel nervous around you, I’ll stop talking to you. Traveling’s over.  I will walk away. Kim Taeyeon who?”

 

The Dragon was serious.
He understood.
 

“I know its cliché. You’ve seen it movies, read it in books. About this ‘don’t fall in love with me’ kind of thing. You have a girlfriend; you also have your best friend and soul mate. In other words, there are still girls that you would most likely to fall in love with aside from me. Kiko is the CLOSEst you have in your life. CL is your best friend, and I hate to tell you this, but you  know that there is ‘That Thin Line’ between friendship and love, right? You know that? And Dara… you guys happened. Jiyong and Sandara, ‘They Happened’… So in the hierarchy, I’d be down the line…”

 

“You want me to be honest?” Jiyong shyly asked; contemplating whether he’ll go ahead with his question. It might be a little offensive and Taeyeon can feel hurt.

 

Taeyeon suddenly stopped talking.

 

“You’re not even in the line…”

 

Boom.
Not even in the line when she expected she was somwhere at the end of it.

 

“You want me to be honest too?” Taeyeon asked.

 

Jiyong knew what Taeyeon’s going to say seeing her pained and shocked expression, so he spoke first and apologized quickly, “Is that ouch? Sorry.”

 

Then Taeyeon nodded. “You shouldn’t have let me talk too much and say those too unnecessary things, Kwon Jiyong. You should’ve told me you didn’t have the slightest crush on me!”

 

Taeyeon started walking fast, blushing really red, leaving Jiyong.

 

“It was fun watching you.” Jiyong laughed. “You were cute…  But I was wrong, sorry.”

 

“Damn you, Kwon Jiyong. Damn you, you self-satisfying Dragon!”

 

“At least you know I’m not going to fall in love with you.” Jiyong laughed hard.

 

“Oh yes you are.” Taeyeon’s nostrils were getting bigger; getting mad that Jiyong actually played her all this time. Jiyong never had a ‘crush’ on her. While she was being a drama queen, warning him not to fall in love with her, he was pretending to be all serious about it, when in truth he wanted to laugh.

 

Taeyeon was still fuming mad, still embarrassed, being overly serious like that, of all places, at the airport, “You are going to fall in love with me Kwon Jiyong. But, I’m not. You’re going to fall madly in love with me and I’m just going to watch on the side. You’re going to beg and cry, then cry and beg. But you know what I’m going to say?”

 

“What?”

 

“It was fun watching you.”

 

 

The Grand Hyatt
Shanghai, China
 

Cold and silent treatment after they arrived in Shanghai lasted for about twenty minutes.

 

Eight minutes in a maglev train from the Pudong airport to Shanghai.
Another twelve from Shanghai Station to the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
There, twenty minutes only.
 

Taeyeon wanted to continue to give Jiyong a cold shoulder but she had no choice. Unfortunately, they had to converse because they had to argue.

 

“How can you reserve just one room only?” Taeyeon complained.

 

“And how can you call and request for a single bed? But Jiyong was equally irritated.

 

“There were no o-o-other choices, and b-b-b-besides I thought I-I-I-I was a-a-a-alone in this r-r-r-room.” She stammered.

 

“Well, you thought wrong.” Jiyong  scoffed and went inside the bathroom to shower leaving Taeyeon with no choice but to slump in bed for a few minutes. She stared at the ceiling to deal with her misfortune.

 

She did call to request for a special bed. But just for the record, she did not request for a single bed, now that she recalls her conversation with the hotel staff. Taeyeon asked for the biggest bed that the hotel could provide, a king size one; but she was told it’s only a queen size that’s available during her stay. She was asked if she was single, meaning alone.  Taeyeon replied YES thinking she and Jiyong are on separate rooms. There could probably have been a mix up there. Now she’s stuck in the same room with Jiyong with a single bed.

 

“Your turn.” Jiyong told her.

 

“You might want to sleep in the sofa, Jiyong.” She told him as she walked past him.

 

“Do you feel anything for me?” He asked straight.

 

“No.” She answered straight. “How about you?”

 

“I don’t feel anything, either.” Jiyong smiled. “I don’t think my heart’s going to skip a beat even if you walk out of the bathroom just with a towel, Taengoo…”

 

“I can only take as much insult, Kwon Jiyong.” She laughed; at least now she laughs at his mockery. “I have limits.”

 

“Remember the challenge?” He smiled.

 

“About not falling in love with Ms. Minchin?” Taeyeon told him, “That is so corny. This story line is so corny. I’m so unsubscribing in this fiction, Kwon Jiyong.”

 

“No, seriously.” Jiyong told her, “If you and I don’t feel anything towards each other and are confident that we won’t lose our minds and fall in love, let’s sleep next to each other. I sleep next to CL and don’t feel a thing.”

 

“Seriously?” Taeyeon can’t believe it. “You really want me to sleep next to you?”

 

Jiyong nodded.

 

“.” Taeyeon cursed.

 

“You are scared.” Jiyong winked.

 

“You better not snore.” She warned while she slammed the bathroom door.

 

'You better not snore' is a YES.

 

“Come out , Taengoo!” Jiyong shouted, joking.

 

“Pabo!” She shouted laughing, “We’re only on Chapter 2, you’re supposed to fall in love with me in the later chapters… oh, wait we can’t fall in love, right?”

 

Jiyong laughed hard, “No, you are crazy! This is a Kwon Jiyong and Kim Taeyeon love story… we’re supposed to fall in love. Lost in love.”

 

Lost in Love.

 

Too lost, no one between the two of them ever asked if there was another vacant room among the 34 floors of the Grand Hyatt Hotel.
Too lost, no one ever asked to be transferred to another room.

 

No one.

 

 

The Bund
Zhongshan Road, Shanghai
10 a.m.

 

“Aren’t we supposed to have an adventure?” Taeyeon asked, “Why are we acting like we’re tourists on vacation?”

 

They were strolling on probably the most famous tourist destination in Shanghai, The Bund. It’s alongside Huangpu River with numerous elegant buildings on sight. Water plus amazing architecture of buildings in a rich cultural city that is Shanghai, no wonder tourists flock this part of the city. And The Bund is said to be the “symbol” of Shanghai.

 

“Is it the Bond or the Bund?” Meanwhile, Jiyong had other concerns.

 

“The Bund.” Taeyeon answered.

 

“Oh.” He replied.

 

“Like it matters; even if you pronounce it wrong you’ll be forgiven anyway. You are a tourist… and well, you are G-Dragon.”

 

“Why do I feel bad with what you said?” He told her, “Because I am G-Dragon… I can get away with anything?”

 

She nodded.

 

“You are judging me too much.” He frowned, “Good thing you aren’t my girlfriend.”

 

“Will never be.” She was quick to answer and smiled.

 

“If you get lost, I will not look for you.” He told her firmly, getting back at her.

 

“But I always find my way back to you.”

 

No one spoke.
Even in that bustling touristy walkway, it seemed quiet.
He looked away, she looked away.

 

“Is it the Bond or the Bund?” Jiyong, now awkwardly, asked again.

 

“The Bond.” Taeyeon answered wrong this time.

 

“Oh.” He replied this time.

 

He looked away, she looked away.
Again.

 

Looking away.
The “symbol” of awkwardness.

 

They walked and walked, adored the scenery before their eyes - left and right, until there were too many people, too many tourists that they  lost each other. Taeyeon didn't notice she was telling the story of her first love to an eighty-seven year old Kwon Jiyong.  They were separated when they came across a group of Taiwanese Ahjummas and Ahjussis.

 

Taeyeon was too short and Jiyong was not tall himself; even tiptoeing didn’t help both of them as they tried to scan the mob and look for each other. And basically it's raining Grandma Shan Chai's and Grandpa Dao Ming Si's  all over the place.

 

“Kim Taeyeon!” Jiyong shouted while he looked for her.

 

“Kim Taeyeon!!!” Three little Chinese boys playing around copied Jiyong. One kid has no front teeth, another one is skinny and was shirtlesss and the last boy is the opposite, almost obese for his 7 years of age. Jiyong guessed the boys must be around 7-8 years old.

 

“Kim Taeyeon!” Jiyong shouted again.

 

“Kim Taeyeon!!!” The boys laughed and copied him again. “Kim Taeyeon!!!  Wo Ai Ni!”

 

Then it was Jiyong who copied the little boys this time laughing,  “Kim Taeyeon!!! Wo Ai Ni!!!”

 

The boys laughed at Jiyong even more, seeing that he followed them. He was being a kid like that.

 

“I love you too, Kwon Jiyong.” It was Taeyeon who spoke from behind.

 

Oh dear.
Jiyong froze.

 

Wo Ai Ni meant I love you in Mandarin.
Oh .
He just told Taeyeon he loves her.

 

“What?” Taeyeon laughed. “I just answered you.”

 

“I-I-I…” He tried to look for the little ones who imitated. But the boys were running now, away from him and Taeyeon.

 

But they shouted once more, “Kim Taeyeon!!! Wo Ai Ni!”

 

Jiyong still blushed and was speechless.

 

Taeyeon nudged him and whispered, “Glad you said it first. I mean just in case the sun rises from the west and we end up together, at least it wouldn’t be hard for our kids…”

 

“Huh?” Jiyong was dumbfounded. She’s talking about kids now?

 

Taeyeon nodded and teased. “Imagine if I said ‘I love you’ first, what would our kids tell their friends? Mom said ‘I love you’ to Daddy first. I don’t think that’s nice Jiyong. I don't think I can live with that for the rest of my  life."

 

“Don’t talk nonsense.” Jiyong tried to push her off, “And where have you been, I got scared.”

 

“Just here. I got pushed by Ahjummas… Goodness, they were strong. I thought I was swept by a strong current.”

 

“Do not leave me at all times, araso?” Jiyong told her looking straight into her eyes. “At all times…”

 

“You sound romantic…” It was Taeyeon’s teasing wasn't done yet.

 

“No. If I kiss you five seconds from now, then that’s romantic.”

 

“. Do I run?” As if someone just pressed Taeyeon’s panic button.

 

“Yes. But text me where you are. Don’t get lost.” He gave her instructions though.

 

“Damn you. You told me never to leave you.” She cursed.

 

“Damn you too. Why do I want to kiss you?” It was Jiyong who was running away.

 

He ran away.
She ran after him.

 

“Pabo!!!” Taeyeon shouted, “I told you I left my phone at the hotel! How am I supposed to send you a message?!”

 

 

Xintiandi
Shanghai
3 p.m.

 

“I love shopping!”

 

Jiyong not Taeyeon.

 

“Okay, let’s split up.” She told him.  “I’m going North Block to see the old shikumen houses;  I just want to see shikumen houses turned bookstores and coffee shops and some stuff while you go South Block and shop. We meet after three hours?”

 

“Deal.” He smiled. “I’ve been wanting to buy a new watch…”

 

They didn’t say where.
No exact place where they would meet.
Taeyeon left her phone at the hotel.

 

Oh-em-Gee.
Gee-Gee-Gee-Gee-Dragon .

 

They’re looking for an adventure, right?
Okay here it goes.

 

 

Jiyong had probably spoken all the English he learned all his life. But nobody understood him; even at some point, he didn’t understand himself. He had gotten too exhausted, he wanted to cry. It was almost as literal as looking for a needle in a haystack. He was choosing between watches, looking at the time, calculating how much he and Taeyeon had left when they will meet up again. He wanted to text her and tell her he’s got one and half hours left; that’s when he realized they were talking awhile back that she left her phone at the hotel.  Jiyong was smart enough to seek a security office that could help him. No need to panic, after all didn’t he say, he won’t look for her? But they’re together; he couldn’t just leave her wherever she is. But language barrier was too difficult to overcome, he just gave up.

 

“She’s my friend.” He said the first time. It took long; he wanted to say travel buddy originally, but that required a more detailed explanation and he couldn’t really say that in straight English. Or worse, he might say even in the beginning ‘Travel Body’. No one will ever get that.

 

It then became “She’s my girlfriend.” Justifiable. Oh hell yes. He had become frantic and scared an hour later. Clock ticked four-thirty in the afternoon, it’s too early for their meet-up but the Dragon had turned into a scaredy Dragon now. If Jiyong wasn’t a dragon and was a Dinosaur, let say a T-Rex, he’s now Barney getting all nervous that he might not find Taeyeon. And even if Jiyong didn’t say Taeyeon was his girlfriend, security would have guessed she was, seeing his face drenched with fear and anxiety like that.

 

Finally, the third time, he said “She’s my wife.”

 

No one will ever know;
No one will contest or argue;
But no one has to ever find out he ever said that.

 

They understood she was his wife and but they were trying to ask him when and where they last saw each other.  Jiyong could not remember; and when he did he couldn’t translate it to a language they could understand. In the end, he had no choice but to go to the North Block and to the bookstores and cafés where Taeyeon probably is. She said she’ll just go to a bookstore or a café. At least his choices were trimmed down to two kinds of establishments. Problem is, it’s a long stretch of establishments out there in the North Block and there are too many coffee shops and a handful of bookstores.  

 

Jiyong will try his luck. Sweating tired, but never giving up. He was feeling scared by the minute but he knew he must find Taeyeon.

 

Taeyeon – X.
He must find her.

 

Meanwhile, Taeyeon knew Jiyong was already looking for her. Comfortably reading a magazine she just purchased, she was confident Kwon Jiyong will enter the coffee shop and sit in front of her. She is lost, that she knew, but Jiyong will come find her, that she also knew better.

 

How did she know?


She wanted to check the time from her phone and when she was getting it from her bag; she remembered she left it at the hotel. Reality hit her that she and Jiyong never agreed on their meet-up place. So she decided she's just going to sit prettily on her seat and wait for him. He will come, she was sure.

 

Taeyeon flipped the magazine pages and sipped her macchiato while she waited for Jiyong.

 

 

Starbucks Coffee
North Block, Xintiandi
Shanghai
6.20 p.m.

 

Jiyong had to close the Starbucks’ door when he strongly pushed it open because it startled a few number of customers. Starbucks Coffee’s doors usually don’t create a sound but the dragon’s force was too hard, cold air suddenly blew inside the coffee shop. Good thing that the one person whom he didn’t want to see him enter was too busy reading her magazine.

 

So, he went out again, fixed himself and calmed his nerves. He had to clear this throat too because if he didn’t, no voice probably would come out. Jiyong even had to look for a mirror to check on his appearance; he didn’t want to look harassed and at all costs, he should never look worried at the tiniest bit.

 

“Hello.” Jiyong sat in front of her.

 

Looking not worried – Check.
Looking not harassed – Fail.

 

“You’re late.” Taeyeon told him, “How did you find me?”

 

“Oh, I lost track of time… finally I wanted coffee, then I saw you.” It was a miracle that he was able to talk. His mouth and throat was so dry he wanted to drink water directly from the faucet.

 

“You don’t drink coffee, right?” Taeyeon remembered that fact.

 

“I mean tea.” Jiyong corrected himself while he caught his breath. He was still slightly panting.

 

“Thanks for looking for me.” Taeyeon smiled naughtily. “Thanks Jiyong. I’d buy you tea.”

 

Boom.
The Dragon is trapped.
He can’t deny he looked for her.

 

“Starbucks?” Jiyong laughed, “Seriously, there are too many coffee shops here… a lot nicer and you chose Starbucks?”

 

“Because you might look here first!” She defended.

 

“I looked here last!” His voice cracked, “I thought you wanted to try out something different. Damn it, Taeyeon, do you know how long this strip is? How many coffee shops there are? Aahhhh. I haven’t even started with the bookstores yet.”

 

“But what’s important is that you looked for me when you said you won’t…” She smiled. “And I appreciate that.”

 

 “Hold it. You waited for me?” Jiyong asked, surprised. It came late to him that Taeyeon appeared to be expecting him to be looking for her.

 

“Well, yes.” She admitted.

 

“What if I didn’t come?”

 

“You will come.” Taeyeon looked straight into his eyes.

 

“How sure are you?” He challenged her. Jiyong came closer to her, lifted his elbows to the table, drawing his face nearer hers.

 

“Because I’m in the hierarchy. I’m in the ‘line’, Kwon Jiyong.” She smiled, coming closer to him too. Their faces inches away from each other. “Passport-Check; wallet-check; cellphon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter