Four

Seoulmate

One should never head on to Lotte World with a person name Daniel Chae. Or any other amusement park. Especially when one loves thrill rides. That was what happened to you. Confident boy brought you there along with his sister however being the only male did not stop him from being the loudest upon screaming during the viking ride. Sharon and you had tonnes of fun but Daniel gave up halfway, muching on sweetcorn as the girls enjoyed the roller coaster rides. Trying to drag him out to the Gyro Spin rides were futile. He literally galloped off to some shops within seconds. When you were done, he tried reasoning out why he could not bring himself to take the rides too. Ended up he got teased so badly by Sharon whom in the end ruffled through her brother’s hair with much care.Deep down you thought you might never see that in your whole lifetime - how loving the siblings were. How much they actually mean to each other. It was beautiful. Really. Beautiful.

Come evening, Daniel drove up all the way to Namsan Tower in Myeongdong. The lights were beautifully lit up and from the cable car, the sight was priceless. Even the stars were evenly spread across the night sky and the wind was more than perfect. If only you could date in such a place with this kind of perfect ambiance like they always do in dramas. Nah, you wished that it does happen in real life! Haha. Daniel was just looking at you admiring the scenic view from afar before creeping behind.

"Pretty isn’t it?" his face accidentally brushed onto your right ear as he whispered. That accidental touch suddenly woke up all your senses and you shivered. He was standing directly behind you leaning his hands over onto the railings. "Mmm," was just what you managed to reply in that awkward position.

"One of my favourite places", he continued," It’s peaceful when there’s lesser people here. I used to come here when I’m free. Sometimes Donglim hyung will accompany me and we’ll just sit one side silently listening to our own MP3 and admire the view, although there’s not much things at night." You listened in silence as he continued sharing his life stories. Then he let go off the railing and finally you got a space to breathe. You turned around to him. He was still staring at the lights from the city. 

"Hey.." Daniel broke his gaze and looked at you. "Hm?" He smiled. His smile always made you feel nervous but you muster your courage and did what a friend would do. You patted his shoulder. You took extra courage to look at his face and told him, " Life has been hard. I am happy and glad that it made you who you are today." You showed him a thumbs up and a cheeky smile which made him laughed softly, revealing his eye smile. You laughed with him and finally Sharon joined the both of you. 

After exiting the cable car station, Daniel suddenly grabbed your hand and Sharon’s and swung them like a kid. Sharon and you exchanged a shocked facial expression but ended up with your lips curling into a smile. 

"Today is a really awesome day…",Daniel broke the awkward silence,"with my girls."

"Well excuse me?" you butted in. "Your girls?" 

He turned his head to you and gave you his cutest smile and winked, which got you all embarrassed and you searched for something else within the vicinity to focus your gaze on. 

 

Sharon kakao-ed you the following day asking if you would like to tag along to the supermarket with her, at the same time, inviting you to the impromptu steamboat session over at their place in the evening. She had something quite important to announce. You volunteered to stayed on after the supermarket affair to help her settle the food. Being the eldest in the Chae family, she was a responsible sister. But when it comes to cooking, the only dish she was confident enough to teach you was kimchi jiggae. It was going to be a steamboat dinner but poor Sharon was craving for it at the same time. Since you girls had the kitchen to yourself (and with yangsuni locked in the room because you were scared of dogs), it was okay to make a small mess out of it, according to the owner of the apartment.

 

"Umm I have something to tell you and I need your help", Sharon voiced out in the midst of chopping the veggies.

 

"I need to fly back to the US for about a week and... as you know, Daniel can't fly anywhere yet. So is it okay if I ask you to take care of him?"

 

"Umm? But Sharon unnie, I am an outsider, not even a cousin of yours. Why would you even trust me in the first place?" You were taken aback by her sudden plea but you tried to remain calm.

 

"I trust my instincts", she chuckled. "Furthermore he is comfortable with you and thats enough for me. You know how he is like right now, dont you? Trust is the main issue. I was thinking if you could move in for a while. Take my room! At least both of you are close to each other. It worries me that you are travelling alone too."

 

Really nice to know someone worried for you being alone in a foregn country for 2 weeks. And really nice to know that someone you just knew trusted you. But you were worried about what others might say if they knew about this 'stay-in'. You did not want him to be hurt again. At the same time, Sharon kept pleading you to make her wish come true since none of her friends are free to come over to check on Daniel. She told you that she still treated her brother like a small kid, she did not wish to see him alone and down. So even if it meant by taking care of him like a small kid, she hoped you could do it. It felt like your life decision. You were grateful to the Chaes for everything that happened so far and in the end you agreed to stay in because of that 'debt'.

 

"Thanks alot for agreeing to move in with us. Other than you, I dont think he trusts anyone else so much right now," Sharon said to you with a smile of gratitude. She was going to head back to USA for a few days to settle some important stuff and Daniel would be alone if you hadn't agree to move in for a few days.

 

"And also," she continued," I am helping you to save 6 days’ worth of hotel expenses!" Sharon exclaimed gleefully and you could not help but laugh at her cute gestures. "Nah,for that! I should thank you. And I can't promise that I can babysit that big little brother of yours considering I am a few months younger so I am still the rightful dongsaeng", you retorted back jokingly. "And thanks for letting me stay here and befriend you guys. Really, from the bottom of my heart. I wasn't hoping for this when I decided to come here for a holiday. Heh." Sharon, who was helping you to unpack and settle in the most comfortable room in the house, looked at you with her warmest and kindest eyes ever. She held your hand and placed hers on top of yours, caressing it like a mother would do to her child. "No,"she whispered softly. "This is fate. And the fate that brought his heart to open up to someone whom he doesn't know at all, that is the greatest gift I, as his sister could ever ask for. You just came here, but you are like magic. You are a gift from God."

 

Her voice began to crack while she spoke softly. You could see she was really thankful for your presence. A presence that changed her brother to become someone more positive. The glitters at the corner of her eyes were shimmering under the roomlight. Sharon then let go of your hand and let out a small laugh while looking away, probably trying to hide away her tears of happiness. You felt touched never did you know you can bring such joy to someone else.

 

All your life you have been cursing yourself for being silly and childish, tweeting to idols who wont reply, going around to see idols when its a free event, tweeting to idols like you are their long lost friends. You felt like your life itself was a joke. No one would care anyway. But today, knowing you made a difference in someone’s life, it meant a lot to a normal fan like you. Furthermore, it was what you really wanted – for Daniel to get his old self back. You felt a strong vibe of awesome surrounding your body. At the same time you felt embarrassed because of her praises. She made it sound so much as if you were made for him. Which of course, you have never thought till there and also, that was something way impossible, something which is too personal for you to intervene.

 

You gave Sharon the assuring look though you could not promise even yourself that you will be a good “babysitter”. Her love for her only brother was something you could look upon, at least to improve the relationship with your own brother back in your own home.

“So, were you girls gossiping about me again?” Daniel sighed jokingly as he leaned against the door of your room. “Dream on, bruh” Sharon got up to her feet and smacked her brother’s arm while walking to the kitchen to grab some dog biscuits for YangSuni.

“Be a nice namja and help her to unpack, brother.” Upon hearing that, you let out a small gasp and took a quick glance at Daniel. Oh no. He just said yes. What if he sees my and bra. No this cant happen. Quickly you got on your feet and pushed Daniel out of the room with your entire body.

“Its okay. You go help your sister out. I am finishing soon! Will join you guys later. Bye!” Daniel was half laughing as he was being pushed out of there. “You are not even halfway done unpacking!” Not sure how but he managed to turn everything around and instead, pushed you back inside the room.

“Noooo what are you doing! I am perfectly fine, Dan! I-Its just a few stuff in there, I can manage,” you cried. He tried to make you sit on the bed while he helped himself to unpacking your things but you managed to beat him before that – by sitting on top of your luggage and showing him the innocent PEACE sign. He looked at you with his really cute blur expression before relaxing his face muscles, curving out the signature smile.

“I think I know why you are so secretive about this, honey. How about… you hand over the clothes to me and you keep those stuff to yourself? Better?”

He did not just called you ‘honey’ or did he. You showed him the straight face, disagreeing with him calling you by mushy names you disliked.

“I was just joking,” he pouted. You could not help but to burst out laughing. At least he knew why you were guarding your luggage as if there were gold inside. The best thing was he did not make you feel awkward at all. In fact, both the siblings made you feel at home. Well, except for YangSuni which made you all fidgety.

“Thanks a lot, Dan. I was kinda… embarrassed just now so I acted that way.”

“I understand, so don’t worry about it!” He winked. You exchanged that for a warm smile which he was actually longing to see when it was just you and him and nobody else. The kind of simple warm smile that made his heart race for no reason. The smile that eventually calmed his nerves. 

"Did Sharon make me sound like a toddler again when she asked you to move in?"

"No, she made you sound like a baby."

"Hmm, my sister exaggerates sometimes you know. SHe thinks I wont be fine, blah blah blah she forgot that I am going to turn 24 soon." /sigh/

"She cares about you. You should be thankful for that! I would love to have such elder siblings. I bet its fun having someone to care for you like that!"

“Anyway,” you continued,” I hate to say this but, I really miss your incredible nauseating pouts.” You avoided his eyes and concentrated on folding your garments. “It has been a long while since the world last saw that. Once in a while, it gives off a warm feeling that tingles.” At the corner of your eyes, you noticed that Daniel stopped folding for awhile, his gaze still fixated on you. But you refused to look at the boy.

“Hmm..”, he finally broke the silence,” I guess that is a confession? That you actually like me being all cutesy and stuff. With aegyo explosion and all but you are trying so hard to deny it.”

You stared at him with the ew face. “I really meant it when I say I hate aegyo. Its like swallowing some marshmallow furball!”

“Hey! I am cuter than a marshmallow furball, whatever that is!” he pretended to be angry, throwing your white top towards your direction, and then slowly gaining back his calm composure. “But that’s all memories. Aegyo, Bbuing Bbuing, etcetera… it is the trend, it is a must for at least one member of an idol group to master that well. I guess I… did a great job?” He smiled sadly and gave a dry laugh.