Prologue

A Language of Our Own
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prologue:

“Everyone, I’d like all of you to meet your new playmate, Kim Taeyeon. Make sure you make her feel welcomed,” the young childcare teacher smiled kindly as she urged the shy four-year-old forward. Taeyeon waved to her classmates as the blush in her cheeks grew. The group of children who were gathered on the story mat merely stared at her silently, all of them expecting their new playmate to introduce herself to the group. The new girl stared back at the many pairs of eyes staring at her awkwardly. Her knees were slowly beginning to shake from the intimidation of being the centre of attention.

“Introduce yourself,” one of the older boys from the back called out blatantly. Startled by the sudden voice, Taeyeon took a step back from the staring crowd and searched her surroundings frantically in hopes of seeing her parents somewhere near. When she was met with nothing but unfamiliar faces, both young and new, she grew even more scared of the twenty odd children in front of her. The teacher by her side noticed the distress in the new girl as tears slowly began to form in her eyes and quickly picked her up into her arms to avoid an outbreak of tears. Feeling even more uncomfortable in the arms of a stranger, Taeyeon let her tears flow as she longed for the embrace of familiar arms. Not wanting to create a scene, the teacher took Taeyeon outside as the children dispersed from the story mat to continue playing with the various toys that the childcare offered.

“Shh, it’s alright. Calm down. It will be lots of fun and your parents will be back to pick you up soon,” the teacher cooed as Taeyeon continued to cry. Whilst she was being rocked and swayed, the elderly caretaker of the childcare looked on with immense curiosity. The elderly lady made her way towards the crying child and noted that although she was crying her eyes out, not a single sound was uttered besides the sniffling of her nose. Not a single sob, whine or whimper.

Wanting to appease the child, the elderly caretaker walked up to the younger teacher and opened her arms, welcoming the new girl into her arms. Taeyeon stared at the elderly woman with tear-filled eyes as she manoeuvred her hands to take her into her arms. Frantically, Taeyeon shook her head and desperately grabbed onto the younger caretaker’s shoulders, refusing the older woman’s advance.

“Taeyeon-ah, Mrs Lee will make you feel better,” the younger teacher sighed as she patted the young girl’s back reassuringly. Her arms were beginning to grow tired from the constant rocking but she did not have the heart to tell the distressed girl. Taeyeon shook her head furiously and buried herself within the caretaker’s hair. Mrs Lee once again noted that Taeyeon did not utter a single whine. Not wanting to distress the girl any further, Mrs Lee lowered her arms and smiled gently.

“I think you should let her join the Panda class for now. I don’t think she would like it here with this group,” she suggested quietly towards that younger caretaker. The younger female stopped rocking Taeyeon and stared at her mentor with utter confusion. She then turned towards the child in her arms, only to be met with an equally confused expression from the four year old. Before either of them could question anything, Mrs Lee slowly guided the you

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter