You've Got a Chance

Battle of the Bands

Purple= High School Days         Black= 7 Years Later

 

Seven Years Later.

 

“Kyuhyun! Don’t forget your mic!” A frazzled looking assistant rushed up to him and fixed the mic onto his ear as his stylist and friend Ryeowook stood over him, putting last minute touches to his hair. Kyuhyun gave a slight nod to the assistant, who blushed slightly before scurrying off again into the flurry of final preparations backstage.

 

“Sound check is done, makeup and hair done, how are you holding up, man?” Woohyun stepped in, clipboard in hand and mic in his ear. He nodded to Ryeowook, who looked up for a moment and apparently decided that fixing the flick of hair on Kyuhyun’s head was more important than engaging in conversation with his friend of 15 years.

 

Woohyun gave a snort. “I get no respect around here. Geez!” He threw up his hands in exasperation. Kyuhyun chuckled, giving Woohyun a reassuring pat on the back.

 

“You know when he gets in the zone he’s like that. We do have to keep this show running, you know.”

 

“Well, that’s my job…” Woohyun muttered. He gave Kyuhyun a once over. “Well, I take it that you’re almost ready. Okay, let’s get this thing started!” He sauntered away, shouting orders into his mic as the crew scurried to prepare for the show.

 

Meanwhile, Ryeowook had succeeded in taming Kyuhyun’s hair and stepped back, admiring his work. As Kyuhyun adjusted his mic and stared past the curtains to the crowd of thousands waiting for him, Ryeowook stood beside him.

 

“Do you ever still feel nervous when you walk on that stage? With so many people watching you?”

 

Kyuhyun was silent for a moment, then turned to his friend. “Every single time. But when the music starts, it all melts away. It’s much too loud for anything more than the notes and words to fill my head.” He gave a cocky grin before stepping past the curtains and out into the bright lights of the grand stage, leaving Ryeowook shaking his head.

 

To say the crowd cheered was an understatement. The screams of thousands of fans filled the arena, neon signs waving and lights flashing. Kyuhyun stood on the centre of the stage, squinting in the glare of the spotlights. The lights, the cheers of the crowd, he could never get used to it. But that didn’t mean that he didn’t love it. He took a deep breath, closing his eyes and opening them again, slowly rotating his thin, silver ring around his index finger.

 

The beat of the drums shook the stage and sound filled his ears as the bass and guitar came in, sweet notes flowing from the keyboard. He stepped one black combat boot forward, then another, with eyes piercing, and slowly brought the microphone to his mouth.

 

                   .    .    .

 

7 Years Earlier

 

“Hahaha no.” Kyuhyun shook head vehemently. “I can’t. There’s no point in even trying.”

 

Woohyun sighed in frustration. “Kyuhyun, if I knew you couldn’t sing, I wouldn’t suggest it. But I’ve heard you sing.” He gestured, “We’ve all heard you sing. And even though it sounds really cheesy, I tell you - you’ve got a voice of an angel, man.” He looked embarrassed at his words, but looked firmly at his friend.

 

Kyuhyun scoffed, ready to protest, when Lay spoke up.

 

“He’s right. You at not being socially awkward, but one thing you can do well is sing," he put in, eyes on the TV screen as his thumbs flew over the controller. "Take a shot at it. You never know." The other two nodded in agreement.

 

Kyuhyun sighed. He loved singing, but he had never considered himself a good singer. Besides, the thought of standing in front of so many people sent shivers dwon his spine. He had never sung in front of others before, unless you considered his friends eavesdropping on him in the shower a performance. Which in his eyes, it didn't.

 

But that being said... it wasn't like he had anything to lose. He could make a fool of himself, but he had never had any kind of social status to protect in the first place, being as invisible as he was at school. Perhaps...

 

"And you might be able to see that girl, Sa Rang, again..." Woohyun hinted, giving him the eyebrows. Kyuhyun reddened.

 

"Ehhh, what are you talking about? I don't - nah, that's..." he protested, flustered. His friends burst into laughter and Lay shook his head knowingly.

 

"Nevermind... that." Kyuhyun regained his composure, then hesitated, biting his lip. "But I suppose... I mean, I should give it a shot, right? No hurt in trying."

 

"Really?" Woohyun grinned, evidently surprised. "All right then!"

 

"Don't you worry. You're going to win this, hands down. Kyuhyun, fighting!" Ryeowook cheered, exchanging high fives with Lay.

 

Kyuhyun shook his head, smiling slightly. "What have I gotten myself into?"