Prologue

Ominous

Prologue

The first time Luhan had stepped into this strange house was when he was four years and three hundred sixty-four days old. It was at that moment when his mother looked into his eyes seriously and whispered a phrase he'd never forget.

"Do not talk to them, Lu." 

Of course, he had thought nothing of it at the time. He was only an excited little child, overjoyed about visiting a country other his than own, China. Clueless as ever, Luhan had skipped over to a chubby little boy in seconds. 

"H-hello! My name is Luhan, cousin! What is..," he thought for a moment, sputtering out broken Korean, "your name?" The chubby boy stared at him for a second before bursting into a fit of giggles. Upon hearing his small laughter, nine other little boys crawled out from behind.

"My name is Minseok!" The boy shouted joyfully, earning a few glares from the adults in the house which caused him to cringe. By the end of the hour, Luhan had learned the children's names, and they had learned his. 

He rushed back to his mother, who was sitting on one of the many chairs of the dining table. Stopping, Luhan began to count the number of chairs. '1... 2... 3... 5... 6... 4...' He let out a sigh of defeat, as he himself knew that he could not possibly count them all. Each and every seat was taken, except the main and the one next to it. "Mother, is that grandmother's seat?" He pointed towards the main seat, curiously asking this question in a baby-ish voice. His mother stared at him for the longest time before shaking her head and pointed out the one next to it. Luhan blinked up at her, noticing a strange plea in her eyes, a plea that he could not grasp at such a young age. Regret and fear.

Everyone suddenly bowed their head down, leaving the little boy confused as he turned around. He stared at the beautiful woman walking towards the table.

"Disobedient as ever, eh? Sora?" Her lips slurred out these words softly, and Luhan gleamed at the heavenly perfection in her voice. Luhan's mother grit her teeth in frustration as she murmured something along the lines of 'why should I obey?' At least, that was what Luhan could make out. The lady walked forward, yet Luhan could hear no footsteps. She sat down next to the main seat. A small child peeked out from below her legs as she chuckled and picked the one year old child, raising him up as if she was showing him off. 

Luhan stared at him, studying the younger boy. He had piercing red eyes without pupils, his skin was slightly tanned and his face was decorated by a small smirk that no child of his age could ever accomplish. Luhan's mother stared up at the baby in pure terror. 

"Mother! Why?!" She yelled. Luhan's eyes shot open. That lady couldn't be his grandmother! She looked younger than his own mother! His now-known grandmother hissed slightly. "We have been blessed, Sora," was all she said.

By this time, all the children had stopped playing and sported a calm look on their baby faces. Luhan blinked several times before examining everyone in the room. They all looked so elegantly pleased. It was at this moment when his grandmother picked up Luhan himself with her other arm. His mother began tugging him away, her attempts failing in the end. The lady studied his face. 

"Hello, little Luhan," she looked at him, smiling widely, "I'm Grandmother Keres." 

Luhan beamed as he waved rapidly, sputtering out broken 'hi's'. He could've sworn he saw the younger boy glare at him. Grandmother Keres lifted an eyebrow. "You've raised a complete opposite, Sora, I see." 

"Enough, mother," Sora grabbed Luhan from her arms and raced upstairs to her old room, locking herself in. She hated herself for bringing her child to this hell that only she knew of. She wished that she could've just left Luhan with his father. "Luhannie, listen to mother, okay?" Luhan nodded. "Please, do not talk to anyone, whatever you do." He sighed before nodding once again. 

"But mother, not even Minseok and Sehun and Kris and Tao and D.O and...and..." He gasped for air before continuing with his list. She shook her head, declining his question, and that was that.


__

 

Meanwhile, downstairs as everyone ate, Keres began speaking to everyone at the table. "We need her child, the thing is our property." 

A small voice spoke up.

"Grandmother Keres, why not just send her back?" 

"Are you insane?!" She screeched, throwing her glass towards Minseok's older sister. "She will come back! She will come back sooner or later!"

Grandmother Keres stared into midair before smiling wickedly as she looked towards the young child. 

 

__

 

By the time everyone had finished their dinner, Luhan and his mother were already in a deep slumber. It wasn't until midnight when Sora slithered out of the bed to kiss her child's forehead. 

"Happy birthday, dear," she smiled warmly before fixing up his blanket. Sora tiptoed towards her own bed, sliding back into the covers. 

An hour later, Luhan was awaked by a scream of terror. He peeked out of the railing of the crib, flustered. At that moment, he would see the most horrifying, the most heartbreaking scene he'd ever seen in all his five years.

On the bed was his mother, screeching and crying for help and next to her was a small, crouched figure that held on to her arm tightly. He saw the back of what looked like his grandmother cackling. Luhan stared in shock. He did not know what was happening to his mother, he did not know why she was screaming. It was only the young child he'd seen at the table and his grandmother. It was only them and their subtle cackle until he heard Grandmother Keres speak.

"Eat, my child. You must be hungry."

As if the child knew Luhan was looking, he turned around on instinct, staring straight at him as his eyes flushed into a dark color that soon covered his sclera. Luhan squeezed his eyes shut as his mother's screams got louder. 

Silence.

The little boy slowly opened one eye, his heart thumping loudly. Squelch. Squelch... sssqqquelchhh.

It was then when he let out a deafening scream. 

The other child was staring back at him with a devilish smile. A devilish smile coated with fresh, thick blood. Suddenly, the red-eyed child brought his hand up, waving something around. It was as if he was taunting Luhan with his mother's heart in this small, delicate hand, laughing at his misery, laughing at this death.

Turning around, Grandmother Keres scooped up Luhan as she rushed out of the room, muffling his screams. He bit, kicked, screamed, sobbed, but Keres did not dare let go of him that night.

That morning, his father was phoned. He didn't believe Luhan, and the red-eyed child was never seen again.

 

__

 

Author's Corner 
Omfg what is this poop. Has anyone ever heard of Baba Yaga?