Living Together

The Perfect Pair

    With a weary sigh, Seunghyun stepped out from the shower of the luxurious bathroom, owned none other by his darling neighbor--- the very same one who single handedly reduced his apartment into an ankle - deep swimming pool not even an hour after he first into it.

 

    What rotten luck, he thought.

 

    And he was about to get luckier still, seeing as how the said neighbor persistently (and forcefully) offered his own place as a refuge until everything was sorted. Seunghyun would have declined, thinking he could always ask a close colleague of his for temporary dwelling, because he did not want to be a bother to anyboy much less to Jiyong--- even though he was technically at fault no matter which side you looked at--- but as he took in the other man's face; eyes swimming with unshed tears of remorse, he gave in.

 

    That was how he found himself wrapped in a ridiculously fluffy bathrobe half an hour later, scowling at his own reflection in the foggy mirror at his inability to decline. It could take weeks to restore his place back into its original state, with the electrical wirings busted and all, not to mention the probable infestation of molds from all the waterworks from earlier.

 

    It pained him to think of all the trouble he was bound to go through to be able to fix his current predicament, adding to the pile of work- related things he already has on his hands. Although, if he thought about it, it was rather a nice consolation that his neighbor readily offered to shoulder all the expenses (or at least half of it, because Seunghyun isn't the type to leech off of others, even if it was in fact wholly their fault) and hopefully, all the headache and stress to come with it.

 

    Speaking of neighbors, it took Seunghyun nearly his everything, not to lash out and throttle the smaller man after the shock subsided and was glad that he actually managed to control himself (save for a few glares) because Jiyong, behind all those confidence and bravado was raher sweet and maybe even sensitive, that is if one bothered to read deeper behind his actions.

 

    He could not even begin to describe the relief he felt after knowing he was safe and unharmed, which weirded him out since it was rare for him to feel so strongly towards another person, much less someone he knew so little of. Not to say he has a heart of stone, but still. Dismissing the unsettling thought with a shrug, he pushed it to the very back of his mind and exited the bathroom.

    

 

 


    Seunghyun fully expected for Jiyong to cluck around him like a mother hen to its chick the moment he set foot out of the bathroom, but was instead greeted with silence, the smaller man nowhere to be found.

 

    He plodded down the hall and headed to the livingroom, deciding it was better to wait for his appearance in there. It was awkward, really, to stand there with only a borrowed bathrobe to protect his virtue, in someone else's home.

 

    Things suddenly seemed funny to him; a snort and then hysterical laughter bubbled in him as everything came crashing down. Like it was all a big joke, and that the joke was on him. He couldn't help it. The thought of his ruined apartment and equally ruined furnitures. His troublesome neighbor. The tiredness that was slowly creeping in. It was hilarious and thought that maybe he was slowly spiralling down into insanity. He probably was.

 

    Apparently, his neighbor Jiyong (who chose to appear the very moment Seunghyun was doubling over) must be thinking of the same thing when he slowly approached him with slow steps and narrow eyes, looking at him like he has gone mental.

 

    "What's so funny?" JIyong asked, arms full of different clothing that was obviously for him.

 

    "No, its nothing---" Seunghyun shook his head, wiping tears on the corner of his eyes with the sleeve of the robe. "Don't mind me."

 

    "Alright, if you say so." Jiyong shrugged and handed him a change of clothes. "Its all I could find. Hopefully it fits."

 

    "Yeah, thanks a lot." Seunghyun muttered, gratefully taking the proffered items, eager to change in them because frankly it was AWKWARD.

 

    Jiyong then led him to the bedroom so he could do it there and fully expected for the man to turn back and leave him in peace to do his business. When none of it happened and Jiyong still stood there, looking expectantly at him, he flushed. Hotly.

 

    Did Jiyong actually expect him to...

 

    "Um, I need to get changed..." He trailed off and cleared his throat, hopefully getting his message across because he itched to get out of the damp bathrobe and into something dry and warmer; but with Jiyong still in the same room, it was impossible.

 

    Indeed you do, was the reply he got from his neighbor who was picking on his nails for the lack of better things to do and sat himself down on the stool of the vanity table.

 

    Seriously?

 

    "Ah, I--- you see, I don't mean to be rude or anything but do you mind..." He awkwardly voiced out and darted his eyes from Jiyong to the door.

 

    The shorter man stared at him for a few seconds, and stood with a pout, huffing and muttering something that sounded  'Its not like there's anything to see anyway' before stomping out of the room, but not without the dramatic flair of flipping his hair like a diva.

 

     Seunghyun could feel his eye twitch in slight annoyance at the snarky comment. For all Jiyong knew and wrongly assumed, his body was well- built with minimal work- out needed and hard muscles bulging in all the right places, thank you very much.

 

    Hurriedly, he slipped on a pair of (new) boxers, followed by gray sweatpants that barely reached his ankles and lastly, a white cotton shirt that was a bit tight on the chest.

 

    Oh well. Nothing he can do about it.

 

    After neatly placing the robe on the hamper back at the bathroom, he set off to search his neighbor starting with the livingroom. When Seunghyun did not find him there, he headed to the kitchen and found him heating up some food on the microwave.

 

    True to his word, Jiyong's kitchen was indeed bare  and clearly unused like he Seunghyun told that morning, judging by the mostly empty cupboards and cabinets with a few plates and cutleries here and there. So how exactly did Jiyong manage to survive? A stack of empty take- out boxes in one corner anwered his question.

 

    Belatedly he realized that in between the chaos from earlier up to that very moment, he--- they, still haven't had had anything for dinner and that they're supposedly dinner literally burned into something that resembled a lump of coal. Stupid pork chops.

 

     "Need any help?" He asked, running his fingers through damp hair.

 

    "Hmm," Jiyong hummed without turning to him. "You could set the table, if you want."

 

    He wordlessly did what he was suggested, shuffling to the cupboard and pulling out plates and forks from a drawer. Silence hung between them, that when the microwave beeped loudly all of a sudden, he nearly jumped in surprise and almost dropped the plates. It continued even after they settled to eat, with Jiyong absently playing with his pasta while Seunghyun was wolfing down and slurping his portion like he hasn't eaten for ages.

 

    It bothered Seunghyun that the other man was being unusually silent and thought that may be it was best if he left Jiyong to his own thoughts for a while. When a few minutes passed without any improvement from the smaller man, he nudged Jiyong's feet under the table with more force than necessary, causing the other to yelp in surprise and earning himself a stabbing glare. His mouth twitched upward into a smirk, unfazed by the hostile gesture and patted his full stomach contentedly.

 

    "You okay?"

 

    "Shouldn't you be asking that to yourself?" Jiyong scoffed and rolled his eyes in irritation, though the small smile on his lips told otherwise.

 

    "Well, yeah I did. But I'm over it," A thoughful pause. "... I think. And besides, its not like you intended for it to happen. Or did you...?"

 

    Seunghyun raised his eyebrow in mock suspicion and narrowed his eyes at the man seated across the table. The action caused a rather unflattering snort from Jiyong before his features dropped into a guilty one altogether.

 

    "Listen, Seunghyun...I'm really, really sorry for what happened. If only I didn't leave to get the ice cream. I was so stupid. Look where it put you. And what if you got hurt? Oh, god. I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if that happened. I can't even imagine how you could still bring yourself to talk to me. If it was me---"

 

    "Its okay Jiyong. I'm okay," Seunghyun cut him off and raised a hand as a signal to stop. "You're forgiven alright. Now stop rambling."

 

    "But I want to make it up to you" Jiyong protested, following behind Seunghyun to the sink. "Scream at me. Lash out oyou can even punch me. Do whatever you want."

 

    "I told you, I'm not angry anymore okay?"

 

    "No, I have to insist. I'm a man, I can take it."

 

    "Jiyong---"

 

    "---- Just a punch. To make you feel better."

 

    "Listen to me."

 

    "Please. Won't you punch me, Seunghyun?"

 

    "What? No, Jiyong!" he huffed and ripped his arm away from the nagging man. "Are you out of your mind? I'm not going to do that."

 

    And let's say that even if he wantd to do it, his mother raised him properly so there is no way any of it will happen.

 

    "But---" Jiyong pouted in persistence.

 

    Oh boy, Seunghyun thought with a shudder. There was really no winning over the man. If he can't get hold of what he wanted by bugging the hell out of a person, he'd play dirty and acted cutely instead.

 

    "Fine." He conceded with a sigh and pulled the smaller man closer. Better do what he wanted and get it over quickly.

 

    Jiyong had his shut tightly as he braced himself and awaited for Seunghyun's blow to come but was surprised when he felt a knock on the forehead instead.

 

    Seunghyun could not help a chuckle slip out at the other's startled expression and messily ruffled his hair just to spite Jiyong further. Hopefully it worked.

 

    "There. You happy now?"

 

    "No." Jiyong swatted the intruding hand away with a glare and huffed in irritation. "Im not happy. But I'll let it pass for now. So, shall we talk about your sleeping arrangements instead?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Would have posted this a lot sooner. But I was too lazy to type this one. Sorry.