two/ final

just only in between
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

October 21th2012

 

Yoona gets home from work late (like all the other days). She's been working more these days. She comes to the office early and stays there late trying to finish all work she isn't really supposed to do until the security guard knocks on her door and tells her to leave. She works so hard that she sometimes finds it hard to catch her own breath.

People do that for 3 reasons. Either they are crazy, or stupid, or trying to forget.

Yoona isn't sure if she's trying to forget. She is only sure that working keeps her busy, it keeps her mind from thinking and her heart from feeling. And that's enough. She takes off her high heels and regrets wearing them. She drops her bag onto the floor and is about to enter the bathroom when she sees the telephone blinking in red. She lazily walks towards the telephone and presses the button to hear the voice message.

"I hoped you were home... It's 9 already." Yoona’s heart sinks when she hears his voice. She hasn't talked to him since the day she received the package. She hoped he would call her, text her or anything. Nothing happened and she didn't do anything to change it either. "Anyway..." Donghae pauses again and she knows this isn't going to be good news, at least not for her."I called to tell you that I'm seeing someone . She's a very nice girl. I thought you would want to know. You'll eventually stumble upon this piece of news somehow. Hope you're doing fine these days. See you around."

Yoona stands frozen for a few second before heading to the bathroom. She wishes she felt happy- the way she is supposed to feel but she finds herself feeling empty and broken instead.

 

 

December 13th2012

 

In time, the hurt began to fade and it was easier to just let it go. At least, Donghae thought it was.

Donghae has been together with Jessica for almost a month. She works in the same law firm as he does. She has a wonderful, bubbly personality and she's got that dazzling smile that could warm everyone's heart. And yet, he never thought of dating anyone else than Yoona, but things turned out to be a little bit different. Of course, Jessica is nice and loves him and all that but he knows that there is always something missing, something different.

 

***

 

They get into a huge fight that morning without a particular reason. Not really. He knew that it was his fault. It was his fault to start a relationship with someone he barely knows, someone he barely loves. It was a trivial thing, something he didn't expect. He concludes that it was because of the news he heard from his friend about her dating someone else (too) that made him lose control over everything. They start shouting things at each other at the top of their lungs until Jessica comes to the conclusion she’s been avoiding since the very beginning.

"I know you love her." Jessica states, dragging a weight down on the air between them.

"I'm sorry." Is the only think Donghae could think of. His eyes are fixed on hers as he sees pain and hurt mirroring in her eyes.

She shakes her head while gathering her things. "I'm sorry too." She runs to the door and suddenly stops on her way there. "I hope you'll get her back. I hope you'll get her back so that you can be you again." She wipes away her tears before leaving. He realizes at that moment that finding someone to replace her in his heart is impossible and that the pain is still the same, hurting more than ever before.

Donghae pulls out his phone, wanting to call Yoona badly. He later tosses the phone across the room in devastation as he remembers that she is not his anymore.

 

 

January 9th2013

 

They meet again. This time it's accidentally. They bump into each other in a book shop.

"No way." She exclaims, finding it hard to hide how happy she is to see him again.

"Hey. How are you?" He rushes over to give her a quick hug.

"I'm fine. And you?" She asks curiously.

"Yeah.. me too.." He trails off slightly as he reads the title of the books she is about to buy. "Seriously? Fairytales?" He raises an eyebrow and tries hard not to burst out laughing. She's always been so childish in his mind, not that it matters. He finds it cute even.

"It's for my niece's birthday Mr. Know it all." She answers, asking herself whether it is okay to hit him for the remark or not. She shakes her head and thinks it's stupid in the end.

"So... how is it going on between you and... " It comes out of their mouth at the same time and both stare at each other in surprise.

"We broke up." She answers and bit her lips.

"I thought I was the only one who's having a break up here." He isn't sure of how he felt when he heard her saying that but he knows he felt relieved.

"Oh..."This time it's her turn to raise an eyebrow. She continues after a pause."It turned out I didn't like him the way he did. I figured it was the best for both."

Donghae nods in agreement. It's similar with his situation somehow and he wonders why. Before he could think of something to say, she excuses herself and goes over to thecashier.After having paid for the boooks, she turns around to cast him a smile.

"We'll see each other. Soon." She says and gives him one last look.

He only smiles in respond because he lost his words and can't think of anything else. Later when he is on his way home, his mind goes through a lot of details and he is sure that he feels relieved. Relieved because she hasn't really settled down with someone else, because it means he still has a chance.

 

***

 

"You should have never started dating him in the first place." Tiffany calls Yoona that evening, blaming her for the break up.

"I know. It was a mistake since the very beginning and I don't want to make another mistake." Yoona sighes, feeling guilty and sorry at the same time.

"You still love Donghae." The words Tiffany said surprise Yoona somehow. Not because she doesn't know this fact but because everyone seems to acknowledge it while she keeps on denying it. She keeps hiding from it because she thinks it is not how she is supposed to feel. It becomes harder though- ignoring him, the pain she has to suffer day by day. She remembers clearly how difficult it has been for her to forget the voice message he sent her that day. It was hard to see him moving on while she was still on the same page, with no progress.

She also remembers how a smile was ready to appear on her face when he told her earlier that he wasn't seeing that girl anymore.

"Yes. I do." Yoona admits and a part of her wishes Donghae knew this fact.

 

 

February 18th2013

 

"Hey you." He picks up right away when he saw her name flashing on the screen without hesitation.

"I'm wondering if you could come to my office..." She knows that this is too much to ask for but she has already dialled his number when she realized that this was something really stupid. "It's late and I don't think I can make it home alone."

"Sure. I'll be there in a few minutes." He agrees and it doesn't bother him at all. N

Please log in to read the full chapter